Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope 'has no UK arrest immunity'

chemical-licker

Last I checked, Catholicism isn't a representative democracy like the States are. . . Pope is voted in by Cardinals. Does every Catholic have to like the Pope? He is human after all, and the Cardinals are hardly representative of the people.

Liking the Pope has nothing to do with it. I just find it odd that a self proclaimed "Catholic" would think that the Pople should be arrested.

Do you know what I mean?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExpandMyMind

• J.B.

• Doc Socks Junior

• The Silver Thong

It would set a standard that would help prevent this from happening so often. No man is above the law, any law.

Look, just because he, according to the article, delayed the punishment of a paedophilic priest, doesn't mean he broke the law. My jurisprudence might be a little hazy, but I don't think there's a law against that.

Was it a bad idea? Obviously.

Was it smart? No. But that doesn't make it a crime.

Liking the Pope has nothing to do with it. I just find it odd that a self proclaimed "Catholic" would think that the Pople should be arrested.

Do you know what I mean?

You advocate giving a get out of jail card because of a persons title. Expand has all the right to want justice no matter his faith. I don't think he is a devout Catholic now but he and all have the right to demand a just and noble person to have representation of billions. Do you think this Pope deserves unquestionable acts to go un punished?

You advocate giving a get out of jail card because of a persons title. Expand has all the right to want justice no matter his faith. I don't think he is a devout Catholic now but he and all have the right to demand a just and noble person to have representation of billions.

This has nothing to do with a get out of jail card. I was simply questioning the motives of Expand. He was the one who brought up the fact that he was a Catholic. So, I was trying to figure it out.

Do you think this Pope deserves unquestionable acts to go un punished?

Could you run that by me again? I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to say.

Do you know what I mean?

I was baptised a Catholic and i think the Pope should be arrested, if anyone from the Queen down was implicit in sexually abusing children they should be arrested i would inform on my own family.

the vatican have admitted (and we can take this number as a minimum) that they have 22,500 paedophiles within their ranks.

I meant from the start of the church itself. At least the beginning of civilization truly considering such a thing a crime.

I was baptised a Catholic and i think the Pope should be arrested, if anyone from the Queen down was implicit in sexually abusing children they should be arrested i would inform on my own family.

Bingo, thats exactly right. It does not matter if your of said religion, it's about right and wrong.

Why is it necessary for me to answer that? I'd think it would be obvious.

You said you're a Catholic, right?

ahh, so you mean that because i was brought up a catholic, i should not critisize the church? i hope you realise that there is absolutely no logic in what you have said.

Do you know what I mean?

i'm not a practicing catholic by the way. but officially, since i haven't removed my name from their register, i am considered to be one.

Edited by expandmymind

Look, just because he, according to the article, delayed the punishment of a paedophilic priest, doesn't mean he broke the law. My jurisprudence might be a little hazy, but I don't think there's a law against that.

Was it a bad idea? Obviously.

Was it smart? No. But that doesn't make it a crime.

actually, not according to the article, but according to a letter written by benedict's hand which was translated from latin by the reuters (i believe, could be wrong) news agency.

ahh, so you mean that because i was brought up a catholic, i should not critisize the church? i hope you realise that there is absolutely no logic in what you have said.

It's a twisted logic. The whole, "I'd thought the church needed solidarity from its members, so all members have to support it no matter what." You know, the mentality the hard-core Nazis had even as their movement was killing people in gas chambers.

That's the logic behind such an idea. And that was an anlogy, I'm not calling out any nazis on the forum, lol.

*headdesk.

That's not what I mean. And I guess never mind, since, for whatever reason, I'm not reaching you.

So, you're not a practicing Catholic, but you still consider yourself to be one? Okay...a somewhat interesting position.

It's a twisted logic. The whole, "I'd thought the church needed solidarity from its members, so all members have to support it no matter what." You know, the mentality the hard-core Nazis had even as their movement was killing people in gas chambers.

That's the logic behind such an idea. And that was an anlogy, I'm not calling out any nazis on the forum, lol.

First of all, Godwin's Law. Just had to put it out there.

Now, to clarify. No, that is not what I meant. At all. I was simply thinking it odd that a Catholic would be calling for the arrest of his own head of church.

Obviously, such a thing seems normal here, so I guess I'm wrong in thinking that it's unusual.

*headdesk.

That's not what I mean. And I guess never mind, since, for whatever reason, I'm not reaching you.

So, you're not a practicing Catholic, but you still consider yourself to be one? Okay...a somewhat interesting position.

There are a lot of Jews that are the same way. /Mutters under his breath "Geez, WW2 subjects seem to just come to me in this thread."/

If the pope got arrested, it could cause backlash between the U.K. and the Catholics there. . . is that what you were trying to question, Sock?

In response to your reason: Outside of the church needing solidarity, there is no reason for a member of said church to not want an offending leader to be arrested. Ergo, the only reason he wouldn't ask for the Pope's arrest in allowing molestors to go without punishment, would be solidarity. Which holds my Godwin's Law following statement still applicable.

Edited by J.B.

*headdesk.

No he is a none practicing Catholic that hasn't had his name removed from there registry. I would hate to have to register every time my opinion changed, talk about a pain in the ass. Opp no pun intended.

No he is a none practicing Catholic that hasn't had his name removed from there registry. I would hate to have to register every time my opinion changed, talk about a pain in the ass. Opp no pun intended.

So, there's an official Catholic registry out there? Really now?

There are a lot of Jews that are the same way. /Mutters under his breath "Geez, WW2 subjects seem to just come to me in this thread."/

If the pope got arrested, it could cause backlash between the U.K. and the Catholics there. . . is that what you were trying to question, Sock?

In response to your reason: Outside of the church needing solidarity, there is no reason for a member of said church to not want an offending leader to be arrested. Ergo, the only reason he wouldn't ask for the Pope's arrest in allowing molestors to go without punishment, would be solidarity. Which holds my Godwin's Law following statement still applicable.

Second calling of Godwin's Law. :rofl: I know what you mean about WWII subjects.

I'm not saying that he has to agree with what the Pope did. But, since, imo, he didn't break any laws, an arrest wouldn't be the answer.

I'd think they'd have to keep track of baptisms. So, I think they'd put every baptised baby's name in records.

He's an acessory for not handing the guy over to the authorities outside the church. He did break a law by allowing the church to harbor a criminal.

If you know someone broke the law, and don't turn them in, you've effectively broken it yourself.

Edited by J.B.

A none Catholic can not be married in a Catholic church by a Catholic priest, how would they know? Are you a registered voter?

Edited by The Silver Thong

Second calling of Godwin's Law. :rofl: I know what you mean about WWII subjects.

I'm not saying that he has to agree with what the Pope did. But, since, imo, he didn't break any laws, an arrest wouldn't be the answer.

By hiding or disguising a crime is a crime.

*headdesk.

first off, i think that was your point and you've just realised how silly a point it was.

secondly it doesn't matter what i consider myself (probably agnostic just in case you're interested) because by definition, i am catholic. to not be a catholic i have to actually have my name removed from their register.

Edited by expandmymind

First of all, Godwin's Law. Just had to put it out there.

Now, to clarify. No, that is not what I meant. At all. I was simply thinking it odd that a Catholic would be calling for the arrest of his own head of church.

Obviously, such a thing seems normal here, so I guess I'm wrong in thinking that it's unusual.

why do you think this would be odd?

:w00t:

brilliant.

yes (you are registered through baptism, communion and last of all, confirmation) and an increasing number of people are removing themselves from it. most people aren't aware of the register though.

why do you think this would be odd?

:w00t:

brilliant.

I think the oddity for him is that he really doesn't see that the Pope did in fact break the law in his actions. Regardless of the sick nature of the crime he helped cover up.