Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope 'has no UK arrest immunity'

chemical-licker

If he wasn't the Pope and he was just an ordinary person covering up these crimes, then he'd be arrested on the spot. His position shouldn't give him one ounce of immunity. The fact that he's the head of a major religion, to me anyway, only makes me think what he's done is worse. He's just the worst kind of hypocrite and he gets away with it because a bunch of old men appointed him as 'go'd figurehead'.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExpandMyMind

• J.B.

• Doc Socks Junior

• The Silver Thong

So?

Why would the intent have any affect on the outcome?

I don't think anybody's going to arrest the Pope any time soon, Aquatus.

I kinda have that feeling to and it sucks. The Vatican needs a good spring cleaning from top to bottom.

If Dawkin's group manages to get an arrest warrant, and they do this publicly, the police won't have a choice.

This right here is why this is so pivotal. There is currently a concept that the pope is sacrosanct. This would be the event that shatters that perception. Even for non-Catholics, the concept that the pope would be arrested is difficult to accept. But why? Why wouldn't he be arrested? The only thing that is protecting the pope from arrest is the perception of him as the pope. Remove that utterly artificial protection, and there is really nothing left but a totally secular office job.

Funnily enough, he could have faced trial back in 2005 in a lawsuit from Texas.

However, the Vatican's lawyers asked President Bush to grant the Pope legal immunity from prosecution. Which he did.

If Dawkin's group manages to get an arrest warrant, and they do this publicly, the police won't have a choice.

This right here is why this is so pivotal. There is currently a concept that the pope is sacrosanct. This would be the event that shatters that perception. Even for non-Catholics, the concept that the pope would be arrested is difficult to accept. But why? Why wouldn't he be arrested? The only thing that is protecting the pope from arrest is the perception of him as the pope. Remove that utterly artificial protection, and there is really nothing left but a totally secular office job.

Wow talk about a shake up. This is going to be huge. Just seems people in power get away with an awfull lot.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Wow talk about a shake up. This is going to be huge. Just seems people in power get away with an awfull lot.

If it happens, it'll be huge. If not, they'll have damaged the reputation of atheism, assuming there's anything left to damage in the first place. It's a huge gamble, so they'd better pull it off, or they'll have sunk themselves.

If it happens, it'll be huge. If not, they'll have damaged the reputation of atheism, assuming there's anything left to damage in the first place. It's a huge gamble, so they'd better pull it off, or they'll have sunk themselves.

How would they damage it? Why would it sink them?

Obviously, this isn't about the arrest; that will either happen or not happen. So, it must be about the trial. In what way could the trial possibly end in which it would make atheists look bad?

How would they damage it? Why would it sink them?

Obviously, this isn't about the arrest; that will either happen or not happen. So, it must be about the trial. In what way could the trial possibly end in which it would make atheists look bad?

They're taking on the Pope. If this happens and the trial finds him not guilty. . . alright, it might just make the U.K. legal system lose what little good rep it still has, assuming it has any at all. I can't imagine a not guilty verdict is going to improve the way Catholics look at these guys.