Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious radio waves

Archangel Oger

There is something strange in the cosmic neighbourhood. An unknown object in the nearby galaxy M82 has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zenfahr

• WoIverine

• chemical-licker

• Codehook

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so much energy and yet i feel like i am all out of it.:hmm:

Its a quasar

Edited by Achvenra

Very cool and to find out that it is moving is interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on future stories about this.

Ah hell... don't tell me the damn reapers from mass affect are real! We are totally screw'd now...

post-98119-127133948473_thumb.jpg

now if it produced a sound we could dance to, that would really be something! B)

Eh...one thing the article said is that it's headed towards us...............

Which is why it seemed to be traveling four times the speed of light.... they did not make much mention of that did they?

Isn't this the first thing that happened in the film "The 4th of July"?

A Mother Ship or worse, a mass of Mother Ships, LOL.

Interesting article if one digs into it.

The universe never ceases to amaze me.

Which is why it seemed to be traveling four times the speed of light.... they did not make much mention of that did they?

Wonder how long it will take to get here?

M82 is 12 million light years from here. I don't have time to do the math right now but I would say it will be along time coming. Amazing something moving 4 times the speed of light.

All I know if is it hits earth its gonna be one HELL of an impact!

It would be like walter from that Jeff dunham guy kinda thing about terrorist fails like him screaming, push the button and....nothing happens but thats till the terrorist says" what the..." then BAM! it go's off. Thats how the impact would be, we would just say "what the..." and boom! gone is earth

M82 is 12 million light years from here. I don't have time to do the math right now but I would say it will be along time coming. Amazing something moving 4 times the speed of light.

Would'nt it be here in about 3 million years?

Would'nt it be here in about 3 million years?

Hmmm, normally I would completely agree, but somehow that almost seems too simple. :o

Hmmm, normally I would completely agree, but somehow that almost seems too simple. :o

Far too simple! It isn't actually travelling four times the speed of light, that would be in violation of a very fundamental principle in physics, which states that no object with mass can ever accelerate to reach the speed of light (let alone surpass it!). It only appears to be travelling so quickly due to an optical illusion. It isn't headed directly for us either, the article is referring to its apparent sideways motion.

Interesting stuff.

Far too simple! It isn't actually travelling four times the speed of light, that would be in violation of a very fundamental principle in physics, which states that no object with mass can ever accelerate to reach the speed of light (let alone surpass it!).

Movement is relative, so if you believed that theory a while back (regarding the possibility of warp speed) it may actually be possible to be somewhere faster than light can reach somewhere...not by moving faster than it but by causing ripples in space/time. I honestly can't be bothered to Google that theory as I don't think it was given all that much credit, but there were a couple of articles posted on this site about it.

I'm just saying it could (however unlikely) be possible, that's all.

Movement is relative, so if you believed that theory a while back (regarding the possibility of warp speed) it may actually be possible to be somewhere faster than light can reach somewhere...not by moving faster than it but by causing ripples in space/time. I honestly can't be bothered to Google that theory as I don't think it was given all that much credit, but there were a couple of articles posted on this site about it.

I'm just saying it could (however unlikely) be possible, that's all.

I believe what you're referring to is the Alcubierre drive which, as you described, would allow 'faster than light travel' (as seen from a remote observer) by manipulating the dimension of space. Whether or not that's possible, it wouldn't actually be in violation of the principle I cited, which is that no object with mass can accelerate to the speed of light, a slight but crucial point. It means that several work-arounds may still be possible to enable faster than light travel, but they'll have to do it by bypassing the acceleration problem.

Edited by Raptor

I believe what you're referring to is the Alcubierre drive which, as you described, would allow 'faster than light travel' (as seen from a remote observer) by manipulating the dimension of space. Whether or not that's possible, it wouldn't actually be in violation of the principle I cited, which is that no object with mass can accelerate to the speed of light, a slight but crucial point. It means that several work-arounds may still be possible to enable faster than light travel, but they'll have to do it by bypassing the acceleration problem.

Ya that's exactly what I meant, not in violation of that fundamental principle at all, just a way of bypassing the idea as you stated.