Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Cloud of Volcanic Ash threatens UK

Space Commander Travis

Giant cloud of Volcanic Ash from Iceland Threatens UK: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8621444.stm

These cunning Icelandics, what will they think of next? :angry2:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• J.B.

• MissMelsWell

• Space Commander Travis

That sucks, take it from experience: go buy duct tape, plastic sheeting, masks and bottled water now before the stores jack prices and then sell out.

Wow, must look out for that later but it's cloudy here today anyway. I saw a plane go over not so long ago so it doesn't look like the local airport has closed yet.

The eruption under a glacier in the Eyjafjallajoekull area of Iceland is the second in Iceland in less than a month.

Eyjafjallajoekull !! Now that's a mouthful of smoke.

Eyjafjallajoekull

I think that was what someone said when it erupted when they soiled themselves.

Edited by chaoszerg

Eyjafjallajoekull !! Now that's a mouthful of smoke.

I think someone must have sneezed over the keyboard.

Only advice I can give right now (I lived through the Mt. St. Helen's eruption in 1980) is that if you live in Scotland or anywhere else that will see some ash fall... is to make sure you pressure wash your car REALLY well before washing it. Volcanic ash is like sandpaper, and it has the added property of being rather sticky. Get if off the car before washing if you can.. unless you like swirls in the paint, or hve been meaning to take the top layer of paint off anyway. LOL.

Have fun! :D

Latest update:

The UK has closed all its airspace until at least 0700 BST FRIDAY. If you were due to fly out, contact your airline. Don't go to the airport. The republic of Ireland has closed its airspace too. They have now joined by Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden. The duration of these closures is all dependent on where the volcanic ash cloud drifts. There has been a partial closure of the airspace in the Netherlands. Germany and France are monitoring the prevailing weather conditions and are considering their options as more accurate forecast data becomes available.

Live updates from BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8622438.stm

Woah. I hope everything is fine for you guys! So where is this volcano? I didn't think there was any in Europe. Something else I was never told while I was in school!

Woah. I hope everything is fine for you guys! So where is this volcano? I didn't think there was any in Europe. Something else I was never told while I was in school!

Iceland. It's an island between Greenland and UK. The entire place runs off of Geothermal, there's that much vulcanism there.

Iceland. It's an island between Greenland and UK. The entire place runs off of Geothermal, there's that much vulcanism there.

Ah ok. Thanks. ^^;;

Yep, we also have the reasonably active Mount Etna in Scilly.

Yep, we also have the reasonably active Mount Etna in Scilly.

No forgetting Vesuvius. Not sure if it's still active, but you did have it at one point, even if it's no longer up and running.

No forgetting Vesuvius. Not sure if it's still active, but you did have it at one point, even if it's no longer up and running.

I believe it is still active, as is Stromboli of the coast.

As for Iceland, I was letting Moon know where this particular eruption took place.

Edited for: Apparent dyslexia. Fingers often catch the wrong signals from brain, and my typing gets attrocious.

Edited by J.B.

Thats interesting, i learnt something today lol... (not that its an island between greenland and uk LOL but the econd part :D )

Thats interesting, i learnt something today lol... (not that its an island between greenland and uk LOL but the econd part :D )

Yeah, I included the first part since this is an international site and there actually may be people who don't know Iceland. It's not as if they're heavily in the news worldwide.

And I do believe all their power comes from hotsprings and volcanoes.

Yeah, I included the first part since this is an international site and there actually may be people who don't know Iceland. It's not as if they're heavily in the news worldwide.

And I do believe all their power comes from hotsprings and volcanoes.

Yep, they are right on the mid-Atlantic ridge

Fig16.gif

So plenty of tectonic activity. On day it will be a much bigger landmass.

Fun place for a thermal engineer to live.

Fun place for a thermal engineer to live.

Definitely! Good for geologists too!