Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hadron Collider could form black holes

UM-Bot

New calculations based on equations devised by Albert Einstein support the idea that the LHC can form black holes. Some people expressed great concern over the idea that a black hole formed by the collider would swallow up the whole planet however in reality such black holes would be both extremely small and disappear extremely quickly.

"One of the concerns that has been voiced about the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), is that it could result in the formation of black holes that could destroy the world. While most scientists dismiss claims that anything produced in the LHC would destroy the planet, there are some that think that black formation could be seen with LHC collisions of sufficiently high energy. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Physorg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Supertypo

• chaoszerg

• Lizardian_guy

• Resonance

Those aren't new calculations at all. Except those "black holes" can't harm anything.

You know why they're not spreading the news? Because people are morons. People don't know what a black hole is, and if they told them that the LHC can generate micro black holes, news media everywhere would understand it as "MAD SCIENTISTS DESIGN BLACK HOLE MACHINE, STILL NO NEWS FROM THE PENTAGON".

Those aren't new calculations at all. Except those "black holes" can't harm anything.

You know why they're not spreading the news? Because people are morons. People don't know what a black hole is, and if they told them that the LHC can generate micro black holes, news media everywhere would understand it as "MAD SCIENTISTS DESIGN BLACK HOLE MACHINE, STILL NO NEWS FROM THE PENTAGON".

"black hole" is one of the most popular sci-fi terms out there and it's hardly an unknown astrophysical term known only by some "inside" people... :)

Earth gets pummelled by forces much greater than the lhc can generate...I think, and we are still here.

Yeah, this was all discussed in the hype around the LHC's activation. Either the black holes would be so dense that they'd fly right through the planet or they'd disintegrate from insufficient mass.

Black holes? again? this topik has been discussed over and over again...this is oooooooooooold

Edited by ~C.S.M~

Think about what we could do if we could harness the power of a black hole. I am thinking about the object the found that is moving at four times the speed of light. I think it was in galaxy M23 on another thread here. I say let the mad scientist out of the box. :)

I say let the mad scientist out of the box. :)

*with crazy psychotic laugh included*

*with crazy psychotic laugh included*

Ah, I just got a image of Crazy Scientist

With your new crazy scientist, you to can threaten world governments for large sums of cash!

Igor sold separately.

Think about what we could do if we could harness the power of a black hole. I am thinking about the object the found that is moving at four times the speed of light. I think it was in galaxy M23 on another thread here. I say let the mad scientist out of the box. :)

It only appeared to be traveling at four times the speed of light; it was an illusion of sorts. You'd have to defy physics to travel faster than light.

Any significant black hole created by LHC experiments is ridiculous.

The energy created is like 1-trillion-billionth less than required for anything significant.

I think we are safe... VERY safe.

The gravity of a black hole is strong as its mass is big. Mass doesn't just come from nothing. A simple collision of quartz can't materialize enough mass to destroy the world.

Well, consider, too, that it is accepted that black holes are the ones that keep galaxies together, and (in that case) have done so for millions of years. Beside, this isn't new, they've talked about it for a long time, not to mention that it is a cooperation between many different countries and their scientists. It's just the ordinary media scare/hype of small stories made big.

actually I hope they create a black hole. That would be a unique opportunity to study one close.

It only appeared to be traveling at four times the speed of light; it was an illusion of sorts. You'd have to defy physics to travel faster than light.

One of my favourites:

There was a young woman named Bright

Whose speed was much faster than light.

She set out one day

In a relative way,

And returned on the previous night.

Geri Taran or Reginald Buller?

However.... Tachyons are a supposed particle that travels FTL, and Einstein's equations depend on C being a constant over time, which recent experiments have shown to be otherwise. Light can be slowed down. The real problem is that there does not appear to be any way to transmit INFORMATION FTL.

I agree that the LHC can not even come close to creating a black hole that would be self sustaining. All black hole equations and understood physics, indicate that these tiny black holes would evaporate into hawking radiation before they could do much of anything.

I think a Black Hole could go FTL. They are so dense that normal physics does not apply. They warp time, space and generate enough gravity to bend light and other energy into it.

I thought it was the Dark Matter that held the galaxies together.

Well SOMEbodies never played Mass Effect

lol

"black hole" is one of the most popular sci-fi terms out there and it's hardly an unknown astrophysical term known only by some "inside" people... :)

Black holes depicted in fiction are a very, very far cry from what they are in reality.

what a joke. up until now we don't even know what is black hole really is or how it form.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

We may not know on a quantum level how gravity works, but we do have theories on how exactly black holes are formed.

I agree that the LHC can not even come close to creating a black hole that would be self sustaining. All black hole equations and understood physics, indicate that these tiny black holes would evaporate into hawking radiation before they could do much of anything.

I think a Black Hole could go FTL. They are so dense that normal physics does not apply. They warp time, space and generate enough gravity to bend light and other energy into it.

I thought it was the Dark Matter that held the galaxies together.

Yes, a well known theory. Who really knows? ;)

They say the blackhole would PROBABLY evaporate.

What if they are wrong and it doesn't and instead of shrinking, the blackhole starts sucking in mass. Most of the blackhole research I have seen doesn't talk much about them evaporating but just the opposite.

What if there is a critical mass point at which evaporation will not happen and we accidentally exceed it because we don't yet understand?

Man has heard all this before:

The earth is Probably flat.

Man probably can never fly.

Man probably will never go to the moon.

Man probably will never break the sound barrier.

AND he did.

So what if these physicists are probably wrong like all the other scientists in the world that probably thought like the statements above?

Physicists have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future, but what gives them the right to take such a risk with an unknown with a potential to destroy the Earth?

The same logic was used by the US when testing nuclear weapons for the first time. Hey, we got lucky. It was a coin toss. Could have went either way. It was a 50/50 chance. Now, let's toss the coin again and see if we remain lucky.

The odds have changed and sooner or later, we will lose and lose BIG because these egos are writing checks on our future with no idea how much money is in the bank.

Hey, we are "ALL IN" in this poker game.

If I planned for the end of days every time a fringe scientist comes up with a theory that the world's ending, I'd have no free time at all*. And with today's spread of global warming awareness, that's saying something.

*All right, jeez, I don't ACTUALLY know how long it'd take to survive the apocalypse

• 1 year later...

They say the blackhole would PROBABLY evaporate.

What if they are wrong and it doesn't and instead of shrinking, the blackhole starts sucking in mass. Most of the blackhole research I have seen doesn't talk much about them evaporating but just the opposite.

What if there is a critical mass point at which evaporation will not happen and we accidentally exceed it because we don't yet understand?

Man has heard all this before:

The earth is Probably flat.

Man probably can never fly.

Man probably will never go to the moon.

Man probably will never break the sound barrier.

AND he did.

So what if these physicists are probably wrong like all the other scientists in the world that probably thought like the statements above?

Physicists have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future, but what gives them the right to take such a risk with an unknown with a potential to destroy the Earth?

The same logic was used by the US when testing nuclear weapons for the first time. Hey, we got lucky. It was a coin toss. Could have went either way. It was a 50/50 chance. Now, let's toss the coin again and see if we remain lucky.

The odds have changed and sooner or later, we will lose and lose BIG because these egos are writing checks on our future with no idea how much money is in the bank.

Hey, we are "ALL IN" in this poker game.

Yes, it is scary to hear they use words as probably and likely about this, when it is a theoretical outcome the LHC can generate a feeding black hole. When life as we know it is at stake if it goes wrong, I want proof, not just evidence.

They are quick to refer to Stephen Hawking when asked, who say the eventual black holes generated will evaporate, he is a genius, without a question, but he is just ONE person.

Quite a few scientist outside the LHC community are worried, a german psycisist with the same competence as the scientists at LHC, have calculated the risk of the LHC generating a feeding black hole to 8%, that means a 1:12 probability. Is that good odds when life as we know it is at stake?

An astronomer said in a National Geogerapic Channel tv program, "they are not sure what would happen, a black hole could feed on monecules in the air". Indicating that there is a buzz between other scientists who worry about this.

The scientists at LHC have an IQ of 140-150 range probably, but that do not always come with empathy. Can they be so driven by the enormity of the project that are willing to take the chance, even if may lead to destruction of life as we know it down to fundamental particle level?

If the LHC generate a feeding black holde, it would sink to the exact center of the Earth first, and grow from there.

The only evidence there has been intelligent life here will be the radio transmissions made by the SETI project some time back. Or the Voyager spacecraft if it escapes our solar system. If aliens track the radio transmissions back, or Voyager back, they will find a black hole of their origin. What will the aliens conclude with, a wandering black hole? No, a civilization that self-destructed.