Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pics: Iceland’s volcano eruption witnessed by

Still Waters

It was a ferocious volcanic eruption that belched out tons of white-hot molten rock, sent a billowing plume of ash miles into the sky – and would lead to chaos in the airports of northern Europe.

And these astonishing pictures, taken by British freelance photographer John Beatty, record the spectacular events which took place at the now-infamous Eyjafjallajoekull (Island-Mountain-Glacier) volcano in Iceland, and which have had such a dramatic aftermath.

Mr Beatty, 58, happened to be in Iceland’s glacier fields on an assignment to take pictures for an outdoor clothing company when he found himself at the centre of the awe-inspiring natural phenomenon.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J.B.

• Still Waters

• seamjay

• zenfahr

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are some beautiful pics, and on par with other notable volcano photography. This photographer clearly belongs in his profession.

Very pretty! I saw some other ones that i think are amazing. I just dont understand how lighting is in the eruption >.<

More pictures of the volcano

Well it seems even the experts aren't sure. Underneath some of the pictures it says...

It is not clear why bolts of lightning are sometimes seen within erupting volcanoes....One theory is that that the spewing magma bubbles or particles of volcanic ash are themselves electrically charged, and by their motion create separately charged areas...Another theory is that lightning may be caused by charge-inducing collisions in volcanic dust...Several photographers have captured this phenomenon at the Icelandic volcano

Incredible pictures. Thank you for the link :tu:

It's probably the particles causing static discharges like two clouds rubbing one another.

All that ash would cause a huge amount of friction. The fact it's also red lightning makes it look a lot more sinister :P

I wouldn't like to be in there. You would be sand blasted, cooked, electrocuted, suffocated, poisoned, pelted with rocks, and shot in to the air.

Edited by Finity

Nice how they threw in the scare factor of Mount Katla blowing its top as well!

Very cool Photos!

I think this shows Nature at its most awesome, exciting and frightening:

Incredible Picture of Lightning Over Icelandic Volcano

Yes -- fantastic photos indeed! Earlier I came across a site that also showed lightning emitted by the volcano, but the photos were nowhere near as clear and spectacular, so I did not post a link.

What was mentioned in that article is that this lightning is actually caused within and by the volcano itself! I had never heard of that before.

Karlis