Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Raised up in a Christian home, anyone else?

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

I'm an atheist now, since the age of about 14. I guess you couldn't call my family "Religious" growing up, but my mom did have strong feelings toward God. She's cut back a lot though. Haven't been to church in about a year, and she's acting way more reasonable. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if she's started to not believe herself.. My dad has always been an atheist. I don't bash religion, but, I can proudly say that my life is more enjoyable without it.

Is there anyone else here that grew up in a religious home, who ultimately ventured their own way?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranoid Android

• supervike

• JamieSymptom

• Enoonmai

I can't say my family was religious but I was pretty relgious there for awhile as an evangelical Christian. I'm agnostic now, just something about higher education that erases the blind faith of Noah and the flood, Jonah and the whale, and a 7 day creation that got me thinking, . . . hmmmm.

I'm going to say that a decently large proportion of the people on this forum probably went the route you describe in your post.

I was raised as a Catholic, and still am. So, I didn't. Either way is, however, fine with me.

I'm an atheist now, since the age of about 14. I guess you couldn't call my family "Religious" growing up, but my mom did have strong feelings toward God. She's cut back a lot though. Haven't been to church in about a year, and she's acting way more reasonable. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if she's started to not believe herself.. My dad has always been an atheist. I don't bash religion, but, I can proudly say that my life is more enjoyable without it.

Is there anyone else here that grew up in a religious home, who ultimately ventured their own way?

I was raised Jehovah's Witness, practically tne entire family, Uncles are Elders.. I left/got excommunicated at 21. I will admit I miss my family (ex communication means exactly that.. ex communicate).. and I miss my friends I grew up with, I went through several yrs drifting from church home ot church home till finally I just 'grew up' and now suddenly I realize I do not need religion for happiness... and though I cannot say that I absolutely believe there is NO higher power' I can say.. I do not believe in the God of the bible..

and I can say I am happy.

I grew up in a post-modern, areligious, middle class, consumerist household. My Ma was Catholic, my Pa C of E. When they married, in the 70's, my Pa's family boycotted the wedding because he was marrying a filthy Catholic.

My ma was brought up hardcore catholic. As a result, she's slightly warped. However, she had the sense not inflict christian nonsense onto me in anyway. She let me decide.

By the way, the marriage lasted 1 year. Just long enough to legitimize my conception!

Anyway, as a youngling, I wanted more the family cultural tradition than Jesus, and Pa not being around, I deduced that I must be a Catholic. So at school I put myself down as catholic for Religious Instruction (which they had back then as a class!)

The demographic in the class was 25 Presbyterian/Prostestant, 4 Catholics, and one Greek orthodox.

So, my first instruction into religion was that we divide ourselves.

Myself and the other 4 catholic kids had to go to the computer room to recieve our instruction from a nun. Who was NUTS. She had me sit out side the office of the headmaster once because she thought (SERIOULSY) I was possessed. Luckily my HM was a kind and reasonable man (Good old Mr Curry. Legend!) And he just laughed it off.

The poor old Greek Orthodox kid got a really rough deal. She had to sit under the stairs and color in pictures of jesus stuff. She must have felt like a freak.

As I got older I realised how utterly full of bunk all forms of Christianity are. I got into surfing, which to me was a supremely powerful way of communing with God. It made church and white, euro-centric ideas of god seem totally insane. Then I found out (around 13,14yrs) about buddhism and other religions. But Buddhism really hit home. It was just so sensible and reasonable. Then I studied astrology (all Christians say Astrology was made up by Satan to mislead folks. But they say that because when you study it PROPERLY - that is, not the newspaper horoscopes, but actually put in some effort and learn to cast charts and learn what they mean and the millenia of culture and history behind the Astrological language, you realise WHY they hate it so much!) Astrology, for me, put the human experience in perspective.

However as I got older and wiser I came to realise a certain truth -

Any religion that has an orthodoxy, and has males at its head, is by default a false religion, made up to covet power and influence.

Now days i would describe myself as a pagan animistic buddhist with shamanic practices. I totally reject the Christian garbage. It's just plain madness. I never had it forced down my throat (except in religious class!) but often would get really annoyed at all the blind believers. Buddhism craps all over Christianity as a philosophy, and the story of Gautama is infinitely superior to that of JC, and the buddhists don't take it so literally, as do the JC Fundies. It isn't important whether it's actually true or not, it's the philosophy that is important. And furthermore, you don't go to hell for not believing. You end up in a loop of suffering if you do not attempt to develop spiritually/socially.

I have a few very good Christian friends, and I let them know how much I hate their religion. In the end it doesn't matter. The ones I stay friends with are those who live by the principals of decency and honor. And I respect them because I know in the end they can be relied on in a crisis, and will make sacrifices for the common good. I don't care what the person next to me believes in really, as long we both pull together, so to speak. But when we discuss religion, which I try to often, I let them know! And I hope they follow my example, that you don't need a book or Jesus to be a good guy. And I hope I pull that example off......

I kind of went the other way in this matter. I grew up in a non-Christian family (though we were religious in some ways - but not ever in relationship to Jesus Christ). Around the age of 20 (maybe 19, I don't remember the exact date) that all changed when I became a Christian. And just like the original post (but in reverse), I can honestly say my life as a Christian is far more enjoyable.

I guess it's true what they say - beauty really is in the eye of the beholder :wub:

I grew up in a christian household - went to C of E primary and secondary schools and was confirmed into the church aged about 11 I think.

There was no thunderbolt moment of conversion to atheism, but I think it all started to fall apart around the age of 12 when I read the bible properly for the first time. It started to seem vaguely ridiculous to me, and my questions to the RE teachers at school got me told off for being disruptive instead of getting answers. By the time I was past my 13th birthday, I had done a lot of thinking and decided that I didn't believe any of it. I started declining to follow my parents to church on sundays, and began to refuse communion at school.

17 years later I am still an atheist, the more I find out about religion, the more I think I made the right decision all those years ago.

Raised Catholic, although not a strict one...

I'm not sure what I am now. Somedays, I'm atheist, others an agnostic, most days, who knows?

Raised Catholic, although not a strict one...

I'm not sure what I am now. Somedays, I'm atheist, others an agnostic, most days, who knows?

I was raised a Roman Catholic, I went to Catholic school for twelve years. I learned early about morality. Everybody body who has sanity chooses his own destiny, excuse the insane, for they know not what they do. Lost souls abound on earth, what do we do with them?

I was baptised Lutheran. As a child I attended a little rural Methodist church in Ohio - one of those New England-style box churches with a steeple - very picturesque. Lots of Sunday school Bible stories. In high school, my family switched to the Presbyterian church. In college, I ventured into atheism, but it didn't fit. I joined Quakers and have since settled into agnosticism, mostly because religionists refuse to produce any evidence that they know what they're talking about.

There's more to the story, but that's it in a nutshell.

Doug

I was raised in a christian household (Southern Baptist). Went to church every wednesday and twice most sundays. I went to private christian schools. Even wore a tie to school one day a week for chapel.

I dont think I ever fully believed what I was being taught.

When I would ask questions like....

If god loves us then why would he kill(drownd) all the people and animals but a few?

answer: Because they were wicked, evil and vile.

If god knows all then why was lucifer created to begin with ?

answer : To give us a choice, follow Jesus or burn for eternity in hell !

If god knows all then doesnt he already know what choice we will make ?

answer :God works in mysterious ways.

If god does'nt live on earth does that mean he's an alien ?

answer : there are no aliens, we are all there is.

IF god is perfect then how can he be jealous, vengeful and selfish ?

answer : You dont question god, thats blasphemy.

If god gave his son to die for our sins, then he came back to life and went back to heaven then he did'nt really give up anything right and why does god need blood sacrifices?

answer: Blastphemy, Go to the principles office your getting three licks (paddlings)!

These are just a few of the questions I had and the answers made no sense to me, then the paddling just drove it home that they were all a brainwashed cult.

Eventually I got out of there and never returned, no deprogramming needed......

Edited by mfrmboy

Yup.....

I grew up in the Charismatic Christian movement, and went through some pretty tumultuous spiritual crises over the course of 3-4 years from age 18-22 that totally rocked my world.

My story is in my intro post here.

Nowadays I'm most closely aligned with Neo-Paganism, Shamanism, New Age, and Buddhism, although I primarily consider myself a Pragmatist with New Thought leanings. I still have a few things from Christianity I've held onto, but Jesus's version, not the Church/Bible version. Gnostic Christianity resonates with me more than traditional white bread Christianity. I really don't fit into any particular categories at all. That used to really bother me but I'm getting used to it.

Hi there,

I grew up in a protestant home, nothing extreme but my parents have the habit of "believing" in God but like so many other people they don´t really practice the law and do bad things in day to day life just like everyday people do. That is the hypocrisy of everyday people, they think that if they say they believe in god everything will be fine no matter how they act in real life. In fact talk counts for nothing and actions count for everything.

I discoverred this early in life and hence distanced myself from church, not revolting in any official way, just observing the priests and many people´s hypocrisy.

Anyway, since I found Falun Dafa my situation has been completely changed. I have gotten rid of all my health issues and is much more happy and optimistic, I actually have no worries about the future whatsoever although I know what will arrive. Now I also know what Jesus was all about. He was an extremely good person preparing mankind for the coming events of Fa-rectification which is prophesized in all orthodox religions. The double moral of modern christianity and evil priests opposing all the laws of their own book is of course the safest way to know that we are at the very end of times. So church is not the place where you find any solution today.

You may be interested in reading the book Zhuan Falun from Master Li Hongzhi and learn about self-cultivation. That means you try to strengthen your positive sides(while weakening your bad sides) in everyday life and one uses Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance in all actions of day to day life to increase one´s level and strenghten yourself. I believe Dalai Lama puts it similarly, strengthen your positive sides, repress your negative sides and realize your immense potential.

http://www.falundafa.org/book/eng/pdf/zflus.pdf - good luck!

Edited by FalunGong

Some other questions bothered me:

1. What happens to the souls of people who will never hear about Christianity.

For example, tribal people who don't meet a missionary, and have limited contact with other cultures.

Or maybe modern Japanese people who practice Shinto, but have have heard of Christianity.

2. Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice his son? My thought was, "was this trip really necessary". Bad manners, tacky and cruel on God's part.

Hi there,

I grew up in a protestant home, nothing extreme but my parents have the habit of "believing" in God but like so many other people they don´t really practice the law and do bad things in day to day life just like everyday people do. That is the hypocrisy of everyday people, they think that if they say they believe in god everything will be fine no matter how they act in real life. In fact talk counts for nothing and actions count for everything.

I discoverred this early in life and hence distanced myself from church, not revolting in any official way, just observing the priests and many people´s hypocrisy.

Anyway, since I found Falun Dafa my situation has been completely changed. I have gotten rid of all my health issues and is much more happy and optimistic, I actually have no worries about the future whatsoever although I know what will arrive. Now I also know what Jesus was all about. He was an extremely good person preparing mankind for the coming events of Fa-rectification which is prophesized in all orthodox religions. The double moral of modern christianity and evil priests opposing all the laws of their own book is of course the safest way to know that we are at the very end of times. So church is not the place where you find any solution today.

You may be interested in reading the book Zhuan Falun from Master Li Hongzhi and learn about self-cultivation. That means you try to strengthen your positive sides(while weakening your bad sides) in everyday life and one uses Truthfulness, Compassion, Forbearance in all actions of day to day life to increase one´s level and strenghten yourself. I believe Dalai Lama puts it similarly, strengthen your positive sides, repress your negative sides and realize your immense potential.

http://www.falundafa...g/pdf/zflus.pdf - good luck!

Hi,

Hypocrisy is evident in all religions not just Christianity. There are some people who live a Saintly life and are unsung heroes but only a few. Who does follow the law to the letter? Interesting that you say your parents had a 'habit' in believing in God. IMO (and I don't mean to be disrespectful to you) is that not judging them? - who knows what is in a persons heart? End of times? Relax live your life! As Jesus said: "So don't worry about tomorrow. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Tomorrow will have its own worries." yes.gif

Some other questions bothered me:

1. What happens to the souls of people who will never hear about Christianity.

For example, tribal people who don't meet a missionary, and have limited contact with other cultures.

Or maybe modern Japanese people who practice Shinto, but have have heard of Christianity.

From a biblical perspective, nothing is actually said about those who don't hear the message. The assumption in the Bible is that one has heard the message, and has either accepted that message or rejected that message. Thus only the fate of those who have heard and accepted, or heard and rejected, are discussed. The only real answer any Christian can give on this is "I don't know". Passages exist to support several conclusions, but since most people discussing this HAVE heard the message, this only serves as a hypothetical situation - you have accepted it or rejected it, and only you (and God) can decide which it is.

The best answer I can provide is that I don't know what will happen to those who have not heard the message. I can give you an opinion, but it will be difficult to prove via the Bible alone.

2. Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice his son? My thought was, "was this trip really necessary". Bad manners, tacky and cruel on God's part.

While it is true that God did tell Abraham to sacrifice his son in Genesis 22, if you move back less than a chapter backwards from this event (Genesis 21:12) you will also notice God in the Bible giving a promise to Abraham's son (you know, the son who is supposed to be sacrificed)... a promise that guarantees that this child cannot die, not under any circumstances EVER - essentially, Abraham's son is given a Divine Protection Guarantee.

The question here is not whether Abraham would kill his son, but rather it is a question of whether Abraham would trust God's promise from before. Up until Genesis 22, we have a very unflattering picture of Abraham. On at least two occasions he lied about his relationship to his wife, and pretended he wasn't married (allowing another man to bed his wife). We also see Abraham ignore God when he promises to produce an heir (instead of accepting God's claim that his barren and elderly wife would produce a son, he tries to conceive through a concubine).

The picture of the Father of the Israelite people is not the most pleasant picture you can think of. So the question is - has God's actions in giving Abraham a son (via miraculous means) changed Abraham's view? Has Abraham put his trust in God's promises (which God has never broken, to this point), or does he still act with doubt, as one without trust in God? As such, God puts a "test" before Abraham in Genesis 22, telling him to sacrifice his "only son". At this point, Abraham has two options:

1- acknowledge that God PROMISED that this son would not die, and thus submit to God's divine power, sacrifice his son in the absolute and objective knowledge that his son COULD NOT DIE, or

2- continue to disbelieve God's promise/s, despite the many occasions where God has fulfilled promises that came true, including giving him a son to a woman who was both barren and elderly (doubly unable to conceive a child, but through God's promise the impossible became possible).

After the "test" in Genesis 22, it was apparent that Abraham had finally developed a trusting relationship with God, willing to rely on God's promises rather than on his own insecurities.

Just a thought :D

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android