Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lesbian mothers become first gay couple to

Still Waters

Smiling proudly for the camera, these are the first two same-sex parents in Britain to jointly sign a birth certificate.

Natalie Woods, 38, a gay activist, gave birth to Lily May Betty Woods in Brighton earlier this month.

Her lesbian partner, Elizabeth Knowles, 47, is named on the certificate instead of the biological father, a registered sperm donor.

The couple described the signing as 'quite a milestone' at Brighton Register Office.

The 2008 Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act paved the way for birth certificates for the first time in British history to record two mothers - to the dismay of many Christian groups and campaigners for traditional family values.

Until the law changed same sex couples could not put both of their names on a child conceived by a donor.

Neither of the women are described as 'mother' on the certificate.

This is because the words 'mother and father' have been scrapped from some birth certificates - the practice for the past 170 years - and they are listed as Lily May's 'parents' instead.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alien Being

• shadowhive

• MissMelsWell

• zenfahr

Interesting.

Usually, one hears of bad news coming from the UK. It's a breath of fresh air.

Edited by aquatus1

Good for them!

I hope though....that somewhere that child will know at least the medical records of his 'donor'. That maybe important info!

Sperm donors are anonymous... just as much for hetero people as for gay people. Hopefully they do have medical history on him. I'm sure that kind of info would be gathered before a guy can be a sperm donor.

Good news.

Why on earth would anyone assume the women would teach the child that they made the child together? I'm sure the kid is going to learn the truth about human reproduction one day.

How about all those evil families where the husband can't impregnate so the wife is artificially inseminated? I bet lots of them never tell the kid that Daddy is not actually Daddy.

I think it is wonderful. I wish Lily May all the best.

I think it is wonderful. I wish Lily May all the best.

Me too; good luck to the family!

I think that's great for them... but at the same time I always feel a bit sorry for the kids who have no idea where half of their genetic make-up comes from.

why do they even need two people on the birth certificate anyway?

"Oh no, we want to break the rules but not too much, children still need two parents"

If one of them dies suddenly, the other one still has legal custody of the child. Otherwise they'd have to pay and go to courts to adopt the child separately.

why do they even need two people on the birth certificate anyway?

"Oh no, we want to break the rules but not too much, children still need two parents"

My birth certificate only has my mother's name on it.

Regardless of this supposed victory for lesbians and gay people.....

-the child belongs to the government™ once the parent signs the birth certificate.

I want everybody to ask themselves if there will be a comeback when these children become adults?

The extremists who have decided to allow this to happen havent taken into account that many of these children will decide they believe in God when they grow up. I personally believe that the extremists have just signed their own death warrents as 18 years down the line these kids will come looking to right the wrongs that society has done to them.

In fact I can see WW3 coming as when one of them gets elected leader they will want to remove Liberalism from the planet.

Er, extremists?

Which extremists is it that staged the coup to allow two names to be put on a piece of paper, again?

WW3 because a birth certificate has two same-sex parental names on it? Really?

I want everybody to ask themselves if there will be a comeback when these children become adults?

The extremists who have decided to allow this to happen havent taken into account that many of these children will decide they believe in God when they grow up. I personally believe that the extremists have just signed their own death warrents as 18 years down the line these kids will come looking to right the wrongs that society has done to them.

In fact I can see WW3 coming as when one of them gets elected leader they will want to remove Liberalism from the planet.

HA! now that is over the top! Racist Children are raised by Racist Parents. Tolerance is taught. They will not go to church and all of a sudden think that their parents, who fed them, tucked them in at night, kissed their boo boos, taught them morals and virtue, and how to love unconditionally with out prejudice, are going to Hell. Nor are they going to retaliate violently against them. If anyone will take a major hit from this it will be the intolerant religion whom thinks its poo dont stink up High Heaven. Welcome to the modern world.

If anyone will take a major hit from this it will be the intolerant religion whom thinks its poo dont stink up High Heaven.

Way to switch one intolerance for another. Good for you.:tu:

wow...

Way to switch one intolerance for another. Good for you.:tu:

Funny I did not say that I was not tolerant of that religion. In fact I tolerate them everyday. Even in the face of burning crosses, multiple religious wars, indifference to the genocide of jews, damnation of various other viewpoints, witch burnings, tolerance of pedophiles, and so on. I tolerate these people when they tell me that the world was created for them by god to do as they please, so lets murder, rape, and pillage our way to heaven. I tolerate these people when they tell me that all they need to do is ask for forgiveness of their sins in order to go to heaven. (just as silly as a get out jail free card) I tolerate these people when they use their religion to spout hate. I am a very tolerant person.

Not to sound so negative, I have met a few, very few, real christians and those people were true inspirations to everyone around them.

Funny I did not say that I was not tolerant of that religion. In fact I tolerate them everyday. Even in the face of burning crosses, multiple religious wars, indifference to the genocide of jews, damnation of various other viewpoints, witch burnings, tolerance of pedophiles, and so on. I tolerate these people when they tell me that the world was created for them by god to do as they please, so lets murder, rape, and pillage our way to heaven. I tolerate these people when they tell me that all they need to do is ask for forgiveness of their sins in order to go to heaven. (just as silly as a get out jail free card) I tolerate these people when they use their religion to spout hate. I am a very tolerant person.

Not to sound so negative, I have met a few, very few, real christians and those people were true inspirations to everyone around them.

You and Alien are both assuming that just because someone is gay that they aren't religious/Christians. I happen to know that very many are...including my nephew. Painting believers with such a broad brush is no better than the stereotypes that people have about gays. People don't want to be "tolerated" they want to be accepted for who they are.

Edited by Michelle

You and Alien are both assuming that just because someone is gay that they aren't religious/Christians. I happen to know that very many are...including my nephew. Painting believers with such a broad brush is no better than the stereotypes that people have about gays. People don't want to be "tolerated" they want to be accepted for who they are.

I do think our younsters should be protected from the influences of homosexuals and lesbians.

If they're adults and make that choice then thats one thing but the danger is a gay couple may force their way of life and opinions onto the child leading to psychological and spiritual damage.

Being brought up by two men or women is not a normal family environment. If both your parents are female how do you learn the skills to enable decent productive friendly relations with men? What about other things the child usually picks up from the fathers like confidence? I'm sorry but this just has dysfunctional written all over it.

Edited by Alien Being