Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Gigantic' scorpion fossil found in Fife

Still Waters

A cast is being made of tracks left by a two-metre long ancient animal in north east Fife.

The tracks were made by a giant six-legged water scorpion called Hibbertopterus as it crawled over damp sand about 330 million years ago.

It is the largest known walking trackway of a eurypterid or any invertebrate animal.

The tracks were discovered by Dr Martin Whyte from the University of Sheffield while he was out walking.

Scottish Natural Heritage, which is funding the project, described the find as unique and internationally important because the creature was gigantic.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Child of the light

• Samuronin

• ZixXxy

• Dougal

Top Posters In This Topic

Sea Scorpions, unique creatures, though it is related more to crabs than true scorpions they still have a sting.....2 meters of something like that can be really terrifying ! :(

A giant scorpion? That is some awsome (censored)! lol I like scorpions but I don't really know why... but I do agree with Samuronin that the creature does seem to be more related to craps than scorpions, even if they have the same appearance.

I wonder how they taste ;)

This is probably the creature that evolved into modern lobsters, among other things, so I don't think it'd taste bad if cooked right, lol. It was on land that arthropods evolved into insects. And fish evolved into amphibians > dinosaurs > mammals/birds. That's what I'd seen on TV at any rate.

Since they are just more like giant lobsters I'd say that they would taste none the less like lobsters or shrimp. Strange thing is that I use to eat shrimp at my friends place one night and the next morning I woke up I had a pure hatred for shrimp and I'm not exactly sure why.

My scorpion is too big.

Headline FAIL "'Gigantic scorpion' fossil found in Fife"

um, how about no? they found tracks, not a scorpion fossil.

• 1 month later...

Holy crap! First Brontoscorpio, now this beastie? How big can they get? You'd think the atmosphere would have to be super-super-charged with oxygen in order to produce something like that.