Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFOs over Argentina ~ The Bariloche Incident.

karl 12

"The first impression was shock from people inside the plane -the lights of the object were well defined - there was an orange light on top of it, green lights on the side and the solid part of the object was dark".

Flight Captain Jorge Polanco

Skyeagle made me aware of this UFO incident many moons ago and it's certainly a very interesting one - below is more info about the case from Argentina's Bariloche airport where the pilot and passengers of an inbound plane witnessed an unknown brightly lit object near their aircraft - the object was also reported to have been witnessed by a military pilot in a separate jet.

It also appears Argentina has got a bit of a rich history when it comes to the UFO subject - the country's military leaders have made some pretty intriguing comments over the years and there's even been 'Seven official UFO declarations from the Argentinian Government'.

Interviews with Captain, passengers, military - See 10:45

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4138388452206804216&ei=iEiqS_XmOtiT-AaCnLjdBg&q=unexplained+mysteries+ufo&hl=en&view=3

Newspaper Reports:

Article published in Le Courier de l'Ouest, France, 3rd August, 1995.

c33e6d4314f6.jpg

Translation

SAN CARLOS DE BARILOCHE (Argentina). -- A "flying saucer" of "white color", moving "at high speed while defying the laws of physics" disturbed, in the night from Monday to yesterday, the traffic of the airport of San Carlos de Bariloche, 1.800 kilometers in the South-west of Buenos Aires.

Avoid the collision

It all begun whereas a flight coming from Buenos Aires with 102 passengers finished its approach maneuvers to land on the strip of Bariloche.

"The pilot had to make an desparate maneuver not to enter in collision with a UFO", claim several members of the Argentinean Air Forces. According to an officer "at the same time, an interruption of power occurred in all the city and the measuring devices of the airport went crazy."

White light

"At the time when I started the descent, I suddenly saw opposite a white light which came directly at us at full speed, before stopping suddenly at a hundred meters (...) After a moment, the saucer changed color, two green lights appearing at the ends with an orange gleam in the center, which ignited intermittently", the pilot adds.

At the time when I started my last approach, the lights of the landing strip suddenly went off. I had to go up, still accompanied by the UFO which went up at a supernatural speed," the pilot adds. " When the light came back on the ground and that I started again my descent, the UFO then disappeared at full speed," the pilot concludes.

Link

Article published in 'France Soir' - August 3, 1995:

186e94f649ca.jpg

Translation

Links:

Argentine News Report

The Bariloche Incident

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• skyeagle409

• quillius

• DONTEATUS

Skyeagle made me aware of this UFO incident many moons ago and it's certainly a very interesting one - below is more info about the case from Argentina's Bariloche airport where the pilot and passengers of an inbound plane witnessed an unknown brightly lit object near their aircraft - the object was also reported to have been witnessed by a military pilot in a separate jet.

It also appears Argentina has got a bit of a rich history when it comes to the UFO subject - the country's military leaders have made some pretty intriguing comments over the years and there's even been 'Seven official UFO declarations from the Argentinian Government'.

Interviews with Captain, passengers, military - See 10:45

http://video.google....fo&hl=en&view=3

Newspaper Reports:

Link

Links:

Argentine News Report

The Bariloche Incident

I first read about the Bariloche UFO inicident in the San Francisco Chornicle. That is a fantastic encounter.

Thanks for the replies, I have absolutely no idea what the object involved in the Bariloche incident was but the descriptions do sound very strange indeed and the pilots and passenger on the video certainly seemed pretty spooked.

There's more info on the case found in this Cometa report (pdf) and it appears it's not the first time strange objects have been witnessed around Argentina's airports and Naval bases:

Strong Argentine interest in UFOS is not surprising considering the well-documented cases which have occurred there.

At Cordoba Airport, November 25, 1954, two luminous objects which hovered for nearly an hour were reported by Dr. Marcos Guerci, chief of the meteorological service; Carlos Bassoli, control tower operator; and many others. One UFO was roughly semi-circular, appearing like a disc on edge, the other circular. Dr. Guerci stated he believed he had observed "something foreign to our knowledge," according to the official report released by the Argentine Embassy.

The most recent series of sightings in Argentina (as this is being written) began in May 1962, continuing throughout the year. The incidents included reported landings with resultant markings and stains on the ground, highly maneuverable luminous phenomena, electromagnetic effects, and other typical UFO features.

On May 22, 1962, UFOs were sighted four times in a period of about 35 minutes by a flight of Navy pilots in the vicinity of Espora Naval Air Base. In one instance, about 7:20 p.m., student pilot Roberto Wilkinson reported that a luminous object trailing his plane lit up his cockpit, and his radio-electric transmission failed as the UFO passed below his aircraft.

Sightings continued throughout the summer, many concentrated around aircraft and airports. Over Floresta District, September 8, 1962, Lt. Juan Jose Vico sighted a "burnished metal" lenticular UFO making smooth and apparently controlled maneuvers, according to the report.

Investigations of the 1962 sightings by military authorities brought forth two statements. Capt. Luis Sanchez Moreno investigating for the Navy, told the press the Navy had been constantly concerned about UFOs since the great wave of global sightings in 1952. Following the sightings by Navy personnel in May 1962, the investigation report released by the Argentine Embassy concluded: "The testimonies of Naval Air Officer pilots and personnel of the Flying Course indicate the existence of abnormal luminous phenomenon."

At Ezeiza International Airport, Buenos Aires, December 22, 1962, a UFO was sighted about 3:00 a.m. Tower operators Horacio Alora and Mario Pezzutto were watching an Aerolineas Argentinas plane which was about to take off, and an approaching DC-8 jet operated by Panagra (a division of Pan American Airways). One of the operators was radioing landing instructions when the jet Captain suddenly broke in:

"What's that thing at the end of the runway?"

An instant later, the same question came from one of the Argentine airliner pilots. Operator Alora turned and saw a large round object, glowing with an intense fiery light, at the head of runway 1-0-2-8. It had evidently descended while he and Pezzutto were watching the two airliners.

Because of the UFOs' brilliant glow, Alora could not tell whether it had actually touched down or was hovering just above the runway. At the moment he turned, the UFO rose about ten meters, hovering briefly. Then, rapidly accelerating, it took off on a northeast course. Before it disappeared, it was also seen by Operator Pezzutto.

Link

Cheers.

I should add that the Bariloche, Argentina UFO incident was mentioned in the COMETA report as well.

I should add that the Bariloche, Argentina UFO incident was mentioned in the COMETA report as well.

Skyeagle, it sure was mate and thanks for making me aware of this very interesting UFO incident. :tu:

There's another article below about the Bariloche area, UFO reports and power failures - one of the reports sounds similar to the object involved in the airport incident and is described as 'shining intently with twinkling red, blue, yellow and green lights'.

UFOs CAUSE TWO MORE BLACKOUTS IN BARILOCHE

Two more unexplained power failures blacked out Bariloche last week at the same time people reported seeing UFOs passing overhead.

The city, also known as San Carlos de Bariloche, is a popular resort in the Andes of Argentina. Located on the south shore of Lago (Lake) Nahuel Huapi, the city is about 1,040 kilometers (650 miles) southwest of Buenos Aires.

The first in the series of inexplicable blackouts took place Sunday, April 12, 1998 when witnesses reported seeing two UFOs "fuse together" over Cerro Carbon (hill).

On Tuesday night, April 14, 1998, "a great part of the city was totally darkened." Cooperativa Electricidade de Bariloche (CEB), the city's power company, traced the source of the blackout to the transmission lines along the Avenida Bustico near the transformer substation at Puerto Moreno. CEB said the sobrecorriente (power surge) "was five to six times greater than normal."

In the barrio Melipal, eyewitness Julio Posse stated, "I saw an interesting glow to the east of the Cerro Otto (hill). With my family I saw it from my yard. My sons shouted, 'Papa, the OVNIs!' (Spanish acronym for UFOs--J.T.) All I said was 'Yes, the OVNIs.'"

According to the newspaper Diario La Manana del Sur, "Officially no one has cited the word OVNI. But, to all of the questions, no one (at CEB) can explain the phenomenon. The lines were hit with a charge of 1,050 amperes. The automatic meters at the transformer substation Los Cipresales indicated the same surge at the moment during which witnesses sighted OVNIs last Sunday in the skies over Bariloche."

CEB spokesman Luis Baigorria said, "At present we do not have an explanation that can determine the cause of the surge."

Claudio Campo, an engineer for CEB, said, "That which occurred Tuesday night was identical to the incident Sunday. But in this case it was reported by the meters at the substation in Puerto Moreno."

The third blackout occurred Thursday night, April 16, 1998. Again Bariloche was completely blacked out for several hours.

Meanwhile reports of UFO sightings poured in from the Lago Nahuel Huapi shore and the hills and valleys east of Bariloche.

A man named Zuber "videotaped an OVNI about 15 kilometers from home, near School #255 at the intersection of Rutas 23 and 237. His three-minute tape shows a great black object with a light that 'shines intently and incessantly' with twinkling red, blue, yellow and green lights. The object can be seen with better clarity when he zooms in. A slight luminous halo surrounds the object."

Zuber's Sony camcorder tape was aired on Canal (Channel) 6's noontime news broadcast in Bariloche the following day.

Link

Cheers.

Skyeagle, it sure was mate and thanks for making me aware of this very interesting UFO incident. thumbsup.gif

There's another article below about the Bariloche area, UFO reports and power failures - one of the reports sounds similar to the object involved in the airport incident and is described as 'shining intently with twinkling red, blue, yellow and green lights'.

Link

You are welcome!

Interesting statements from high ranking Argentine Military officials:

"UFOs are real. I myself had an experience of this sort in 1951. It was a yellowish-silver disk with deep red edges, moving at high speed at an altitude of some 500 meters..."

Vicecommodore Oscar Bario. Argentinian Defense.

"At this state of events, and with the evidence available to us, it is hard to deny the existence of flying saucers."

Vicecommodore Dante La Roca. Argentinian Defense.

"I believe in the so-called flying saucer, and it is my understanding that the Air Force will pursue studies on this subject."

Commander Adolfo Alvarez, 1968. Argentinian Defense

• 3 weeks later...

More official UFO reports and declarations from the Argentinian government:

Argentine Navy.

In the 1960s, the Argentine Navy was charged with the official investigation of UFO sightings, particularly those reported by its own personnel. A 1965 "Official UFO Report" prepared by Captain Sánchez Moreno from the Naval Air Station Comandante Espora in Bahía Blanca, revealed that:

"Between 1950 and 1965, personnel of Argentina's Navy alone made 22 sightings of unidentified flying objects that were not airplanes, satellites, weather balloons or any type of known (aerial) vehicles. These 22 cases served as precedents for intensifying that investigation of the subject by the Navy. In the past two years, nine incidents have been recorded that are being studied by Captain Pagani and a team of military and civilian scientists and collaborators. Likewise, a meticulous questionnaire was drafted, printed and distributed to different bases. In a short time, the Service of Naval Intelligence was in possession of a stack of highly significant reports of testimonies. On the basis of this important documentation, it was possible to obtain a coherent overview of the problem." (Captain Sánchez Moreno, Informe Oficial O.V.N.I., Sumario S# A. 02778-DTO. OVNI, Naval Air Station Comandante Espora, in ICUFON Project World Authority for Spatial Affairs (W.A.S.A.), New York, 1979.)

Captain Engineer Omar R. Pagani, Director of the Argentine Navy UFO investigation team in the 1960s. As a result of a series of observations at Argentine and Chilean meteorological stations on Deception Island, Antarctica, in June and July 1965, Captain Pagani disclosed at a press conference that:

"The unidentified flying objects do exist. Their presence and intelligent displacement in the Argentine airspace has been proven. Their nature and origin is unknown and no judgement is made about them." (Sánchez Moreno, ibid.)

In addition, the Argentine Navy Bulletin #172 of July 7, 1965 reported:

"From the Navy post at the South Orkney Islands comes a message of extreme importance: during the passage of the strange object over the base [earlier the same day], two magnetometers in perfect working condition registered sudden and strong disturbances of the magnetic field (at 17:03 hrs.), which were recorded on their tapes." (Perissé, Captain D. A., "Deception Island UFO Sightings," in the MUFON 1987 International UFO Symposium Proceedings, Washington, D.C., June 1987

Link

• 6 months later...

If anyone knows of any more info about this one then please feel free to post. :)

Interesting post Karl :tu: thanks

Interesting post Karl :tu: thanks

Quillius, thanks for the reply bud - it certainly looks like Argentina is a bit of a UFO/OVNI hotspot and it's quite refreshing to see their country's military being so forthcoming with the relevant information - too bad other governments can't follow their example. :)

Cheers.

Quillius, thanks for the reply bud - it certainly looks like Argentina is a bit of a UFO/OVNI hotspot and it's quite refreshing to see their country's military being so forthcoming with the relevant information - too bad other governments can't follow their example. :)

Cheers.

hey Karl no worries, and yes wouldnt that be nice....even better if we knew everything being said was always 100% truth...

Would like the thoughts of some debunkers on this thread? come out come out wherever you are :yes:

Would like the thoughts of some debunkers on this thread? come out come out wherever you are :yes:

Yes, it would be nice and I'm all for finding prosaic solutions for these cases where appropriate - it's just that oftentimes debunkers just cynically shoehorn preconceived explanations onto events irrespective of the reported facts.

I don't know if you've read through the cases in this thread but it also appears many of the 'official' government UFO explanations are completely spurious, contrived or just plain ridiculous.

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

Yes, it would be nice and I'm all for finding prosaic solutions for these cases where appropriate - it's just that oftentimes debunkers just cynically shoehorn preconceived explanations onto events irrespective of the reported facts.

I don't know if you've read through the cases in this thread but it also appears many of the 'official' government UFO explanations are completely spurious, contrived or just plain ridiculous.

Cheers.

havent had a chance to catch up on everything yet but will post thoughts once I am up to date :)

I think its vital we find answers to enable us to filter out the rubbish so we are left with the best of teh best. I believe this is what the thread 'best evidence for aliens' by Hazzard was trying to achieve.

maybe it would be good to go through all your posts and then pick the very best and post on his thread, as I know the Skeptics are there waiting.

:tu:

Cheers.

You've got that right!

Skeptics and Their Arguments

"Bernhard Haisch, Ph.D., "Be Skeptical of the Skeptics"

My link

Edited by skyeagle409

• 4 months later...

Quillius, thanks for the reply -I think that thread has become somewhat of a running joke but I certainly agree about filtering out the truly interesting and unexplained cases - there's an article below about more UFO incidents reported in Bariloche and it seems the bodies of water around the area experience a lot of UFO activity - this also seems to be the case in Western Puerto Rico.

"In the barrio San Francisco, a woman saw 'a ball of red light' descending in a zigzag pattern toward the large pedestrian stairway at Tiscornia." A "luminous disc" was also seen near the intersection of Calle Fernando Beschtete and Calle La Paz. In the barrio Nicolas Lavalle, eyewitnesses saw four luminous UFOs hovering overhead. One witness, Sara Salizar, said, "They are a large spacecraft and three smaller ones that attached themselves to the larger one over and over again." Andrea Capararo told the Argentine news agency TOLAM that she and her sisters, Natalia and Carolina, "at 11:30 (p.m.) we observed in the sky a kind of large plate with twinkling red, yellow, green and blue lights, and another object a little bit longer with red and yellow lights. The luminous objects seemed permanently supported in the air for several minutes, then moved away towards the lake." Natalia and Carolina Capararo described the saucer as resembling "a tomato bigger than an airplane" and flying toward Cerro Carbon, east of the barrio.

"Various inhabitants of the upper (highland) region of the city, for their part, told radio and TV reporters that they had first seen a formation of stars moving across the sky with twinkling lights colored red, yellow and green and with a brilliant white radiance, between 10:30 and 11:45 p.m. Sunday night."

"The moving lights appeared to be attached to an elongated form and another form resembling a small bottle, the inhabitants said. The union of the two objects produced 'a great star,' like a great electrical discharge, and the lights of the city went out."

Bariloche is the site of two of Argentina's most famous incidents, the Dr. Tarda case in December 1968 and the jetliner pilot case in June 1995.

Link (removed from internet)

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12