Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico

Siara

The oil spill isn't that big a deal, not in the GOM. The weather is holding and the skimmer ships are cleaning it up quickly. This will not be an ecological disaster and people will not lose their livelihood. There will be some redisual oil that can't be skimmed and this will reach the shore somewhere along the Gulf coast just like oil does everyday in the GOM.

The GOM has so many natural seeps that the residual oil remaining after the cleanup efforts will be indistiguishable from other pockets of oil in the GOM. I've been in the GOM collecting bottom samples for environmental surveys and when we bring the piston sampler and box core sampling device to the surface, the entire sampling device is covered with oil.

While standing on the deck of the vessel, one can see large masses of oil from natural seeps from the ocean bed suddenly appear on the surface. It's been happening before man roamed the planet and it is a consistent soure. So when you put this in perspective, its not as bad as many want everyone to think it is. The GOM isn't pristine Alaska. It's the dirty GOM.

The real tradegy is the loss of the 11 workers. I'm not sure why the coverage was so poor. The mine exposion had constant coverage of the rescue. This seems to have been ignored in comparison. Could it be that exploiting this accident would make BO appear in a negative way since he just ruled to allow oil drilling? Probably so.

It's also a shame the rig was lost. The rig will be salvaged in deepwater and a new one will be built. This will create high paying jobs.

Edited by Astute One

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Siara

• J.B.

• Agent X

• joshsluss

Top Posters In This Topic

My level of cynicism regarding the political parties is on a par with everyone else's here. But I don't think Obama is part of the racket (yet at least). I think there were lots of disadvantages to having an "outside the beltway" president. Like, he wasted a tremendous amount of time trying to negotiate the health care bill. He's pie in the sky idealistic. But I don't think he is in that Washington "one-political-party-with-two-names-bribed-to-the-hilt" club.

I think that's why so many other politicians hope for his downfall. Some of his policies may be stupid, but he isn't in the club. If the public is ever going to solve the one-corrupt-party problem we have to stop the brainless sniping and trashing the government and look realistically at where everyone stands. Maybe every politician sucks, but they suck for different reasons.

To be honest, I don't think we CAN stop the sniping. People get off on it to the extent that they'd rather have their country fall apart than to stop playing the hostility game. When you read the messages people post on the net it's obvious that they are delirious with self-importance and hostility. They're nuts who don't realize they have a problem. The extremists who post here who NEVER deviate AT ALL from a perfect extreme right position on everything are like that.

Siara, BO has his own sinister club. Ask yourself why are the wallstreet thugs who caused the world recession NOT charged or even pointed out by the media. These super rich just caused hurdreds of thousands of Americans to loose their retirement and almost destroyed the world economy but these unethical crook bullies put their own greedy, self serving interests above the worlds and their country, and crapped on the rest of the world. I wonder what their party affiliation is? Both? Check out the thread, killed by naked short sellers.

Edited by Astute One

Siara, BO has his own sinister club. Ask yourself why are the wallstreet thugs who caused the world recession NOT charged or even pointed out by the media.

Because they've bribed 90% of the people in Congress. I disagree with you on this one Astute (though I'm not sure why). My take is that Obama's problems come from an overly academic, idealistic view of the world. Congress' problems come from the fact that they've been bought.

Because they've bribed 90% of the people in Congress. I disagree with you on this one Astute (though I'm not sure why). My take is that Obama's problems come from an overly academic, idealistic view of the world. Congress' problems come from the fact that they've been bought.

So would it be reasonable to say the root cause of government problems is corruption on both sides and the inabilty of citizens to do anything about it beyond waiting for an election?

So would it be reasonable to say the root cause of government problems is corruption on both sides and the inabilty of citizens to do anything about it beyond waiting for an election?

There ARE things we can do beyond waiting for an election. For example, everyone who cares about the voice of the people being heard should be trying to attack the Supreme Court's decision to lift the limits on corporate financing. Things are about to get much more corrupt because of this decision but the issue has moved to the back burner because it isn't as engrossing as the culture wars.

I don't think BO's sinister. That's partisan hysteria.

Edited by Siara

There ARE things we can do beyond waiting for an election. For example, everyone who cares about the voice of the people being heard should be trying to attack the Supreme Court's decision to lift the limits on corporate financing. Things are about to get much more corrupt because of this decision but the issue has moved to the back burner because it isn't as engrossing as the culture wars.

I don't think BO's sinister. That's partisan hysteria.

I agree 100%...

For example...

I could get an american friend to create a corporation™ in America...

I would be the CEO and than I could get all my friends from around the planet to send money to the D's or the R's and influence the american election.

Those who sit on their hands and don't feel this is a big deal are only fooling themselves.

Hell.... the current president ain't even a natural born citizen..... Hellllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooo....... Barry Soetaro http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Soetoro

Sunken gulf oil rig not leaking: coast guard

Last Updated: Friday, April 23, 2010

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/23/louisiana-oil-rig-search.html

No oil appears to be leaking from a drilling rig that sank in the Gulf of Mexico off the Louisiana coast, the U.S. Coast Guard says.

Update: 4/24/10

Oil leaking from site of sunken rig, Coast Guard says

07:25 PM ET

Oil began leaking Saturday from the site of an oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Initial reports indicate "there are breaks in the line" where the Deepwater Horizon was drilling when it exploded Tuesday night, Coast Guard Petty Officer Erik Swanson said.

Oil is leaking at a rate of 1,000 barrels a day, he said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/24/oil-leaking-from-site-of-sunken-rig-coast-guard-says/?hpt=T2

1 barrel=41 US gallons. The Exxon Valdez spill was 10 million gallons, so it looks like this is nowhere near.

First of, stop the side banter about how conservatives hurt your feelings on the internet... Quit making a public mockery and a boo-whoo fest. I don't feel sorry for you.

Second, you bring up a very valid point. I being a conservative as well as a avid salt water fish enthusiast totally agree with with your concern. I do however think it's somewhat necessary to become much more self sufficient when it comes to fossil fuels, but clear option doesn't exist... We're all gonna have to take a bite of this crap sandwich either way, let's just hope that we're not as destructive as our past endeavors.

This should be capped within a week and they will clean most of it up. They can spray it with the good bugs now. The ones they didn't have during the Exxon release. This is nothing to worry about. It's a job creator. This has been long over due. With all the hurricane action, I am amazed this didn't happen during the storms. The storms screwed stuff up but it didn't break any deepwater pipelines causing a release. Get ready for it East Coast and Florida west coast.

update: 4/29/10

Gulf Oil Leak Much Worse than Feared

Gulf Coast Braces for a Mess

leak may be five times worse than feared

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/louisiana.oil.rig/index.html?hpt=T1

---------------------------------------------------------

There's something about this that still strikes me as very scary.

I guess a point I wanted to make is that when the news came out about the oil spill half of the country reacted with "Oh shut up, ****ing liberals". If they had thought for one minute they would have realized that the oil spill could be a secondary disaster effecting thousands of families. But the impulse react politically was so strong and so instantaneous that the obvious fact that this was a disaster too faded into insignificance.

You say this happened on the CNN board?

Why do you post there then?

I would hardly categorize rude responders on the CNN board as "half of the country."

Harte

You say this happened on the CNN board?

Why do you post there then?

I would hardly categorize rude responders on the CNN board as "half of the country."

Harte

Harte & everyone else, please read the various comments on the day that it happened for yourselves

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/22/oil.rig.explosion/index.html#comment-46167515

I just spent quite a while trying to find the FOXnews comments on the initial April 21 report. Couldn't find them but I'd genuinely love to see them. If anyone can provide the link please do so.

I suspect that the ratio of libs vs repubs will be different on FOX but the content of the comments from each group will be the same. There will be a large segment of intelligent conservatives and liberals who, like Corp, reacted with, "....I don't think anyone would just shrug off a massive oil spill no matter what their political views. And if they do then there's something seriously wrong with them." My point is that there were also a huge segment of Americans who were so into the political hate-game that they didn't bother trying to understand the issue. A HUGE number of extremists responded with brainless political ranting upon seeing the word "ecology", totally ignoring the seriousness of the issue.

Before those people go off on yet another brainless rant-spree regarding the next issue, it would be good if they could appreciate what idiots they've made of themselves regarding this. Maybe it would help a few people to think about the implications of the next issue before regurgitating their usual rhetoric. If you talked like an idiot when the disaster struck, congratulations. You're an idiot. Don't pretend you never said what you said on April 21.

The point here is that if the word "ecology" hadn't been politicized from here to kingdom come, everyone would have reacted with, "Oh my God. Is there an oil spill?" That's not how the country reacted. This should be a case study for all of us about what happens when science is politicized.

Ah, Rush Limbaugh has voiced his opinion on the oil rig disaster. It was a liberal terrorist attack designed to make us stop drilling. Brilliant.

Well, let's think, who politicized ecology? Ah, yes...

Well, let's think, who politicized ecology? Ah, yes...

Al Gore and MArgaret Thatcher.

Rush Limbaugh talks like an idiot, but if it were a Repub in office, it would have been blamed on some unknown terrorist from the M.E, anyway, nature of the beast and all that. B.O. is a Dem, and he's the one who really pushed this time for oil expansion. So, no, not a Liberal terrorist.

I haven't heard, do they know the cause of the explosion?

B.O. is a Dem, and he's the one who really pushed this time for oil expansion. So, no, not a Liberal terrorist.

What a surprise Just as I predicted in my initial post on this thread

I can't help thinking that if thousands of families end up on welfare because of this there's going to be a lot of political double talk and rewriting of history on the right. It would be SO great if the people who failed to consider the importance of the Gulf's ecosystem admitted their error and used this as a learning experience. But they won't. The suffering of these families will only be an intellectual abstraction and this disaster will just be another roll of the dice in the never ending abstract game of political one-up-man-ship.

Reality is not a high school political debate. The rules of biology are not political spin.

Obama's policy (which I think is a bad one and which, BTW, was not left wing policy) had not been implemented AT ALL yet. It is/was years away from implementation. This has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. This has to do with America's addiction to oil and the way that the power of the oil industry controls our political policies.

It also has little to do with Al Gore (who probably would have shut the oil rig down years ago, thus sending the country into a different catastrophe-- complete financial collapse). The political wrangling has been going on for decades with one ecological policy after the next being trashed by the Bush administrations.

If you think that the left are the ones who've spearheaded offshore drilling these past few years you are out of touch with reality.

drillbaby.jpg

So, you're totally against oil being used by us? It seems that way. Let's face it, we need oil. No two ways about it. And, unless you enjoy being dependent on other countries for it, we should try to use our own.

Because, let's face it, accidents happen. They're not intentional, and hardly avoidable. They are tragic, indeed, but politicizing them makes it worse.

Edited by socrates.junior

So, you're totally against oil being used by us? It seems that way. Let's face it, we need oil. No two ways about it. And, unless you enjoy being dependent on other countries for it, we should try to use our own.

Because, let's face it, accidents happen. They're not intentional, and hardly avoidable. They are tragic, indeed, but politicizing them makes it worse.

We're not dependent on other countries for oil. We buy oil from other countries to use their own resources until they run out. Then what's left? Our oil. The oil that's in our land.

That's not really a viable strategy. It's like planting your seed wheat...

We're not dependent on other countries for oil. We buy oil from other countries to use their own resources until they run out. Then what's left? Our oil. The oil that's in our land.

Hence, if you have yet to invest in Oil Futures, now would be a good time to do so. :tu:

What a surprise Just as I predicted in my initial post on this thread

Obama's policy (which I think is a bad one and which, BTW, was not left wing policy) had not been implemented AT ALL yet. It is/was years away from implementation. This has absolutely nothing to do with Obama. This has to do with America's addiction to oil and the way that the power of the oil industry controls our political policies.

It also has little to do with Al Gore (who probably would have shut the oil rig down years ago, thus sending the country into a different catastrophe-- complete financial collapse). The political wrangling has been going on for decades with one ecological policy after the next being trashed by the Bush administrations.

If you think that the left are the ones who've spearheaded offshore drilling these past few years you are out of touch with reality.

drillbaby.jpg

It's still Obama's policy, and the Al Gore/Margaret Thatcher was talking about who politicized Ecology. I wasn't saying that the policy itself is Left Wing, I was saying that Obama was a Dem, and since the Right wing is still currently not in power, it doesn't matter how much they yammered on about drilling. They're not the ones in charge.

That's not really a viable strategy. It's like planting your seed wheat...

Sure it is! If you plan on coming up with an alternative, or are sitting on one, and want to completely destroy the Middle East's economy in the long run by letting them think their oil empire will keep them strong, then leaving when the oil runs out, which you artificially drained just to destroy them. . . we're not doing it for our own economics, we're doing it to build them up for a financial oil bubble which will render them useless when it bursts.

Just curious...

What's the purpose of Obama™ sending SWAT teams to oil rigs?

Just curious...

What's the purpose of Obama™ sending SWAT teams to oil rigs?

National take over of the oil industry. What else?