Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico

Siara

Al Gore and MArgaret Thatcher.

Rush Limbaugh talks like an idiot, but if it were a Repub in office, it would have been blamed on some unknown terrorist from the M.E, anyway, nature of the beast and all that. B.O. is a Dem, and he's the one who really pushed this time for oil expansion. So, no, not a Liberal terrorist.

I haven't heard, do they know the cause of the explosion?

what are you talking about the liberals are blaming bush for it. along with the al gore marriage break up.

Edited by danielost

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Siara

• J.B.

• Agent X

• joshsluss

Top Posters In This Topic

to a degree. But you're creating a false dichotomy. Those other sources COLLECTIVELY can mitigate a lot of oil usage. There will never be a silver bullet answer to all of life's problems. It takes a collection of answers. And that in itself also shields us against any one of them having the control that oil does today. As each one takes a chunk out of the total oil picture, we are better off.

lets us gunpowder for fuel for our cars.

what are you talking about the liberals are blaming bush for it. along with the al gore marriage break up.
Of course it's Bushes fault! Obama hasn't been in office long enough to fix the problem... even though at this point in HIS administration, Bush was a wartime President retaliating against the single worst terrorist attack in US history, a worsening fuel supply crisis that the Clinton/Gore team left, the sinking economy from the tech market bubble bursting, oh, yeah, and having to pick out a wallpaper pattern for the Oval Office.

You know, I'd think a "messiah" would be better at fixing things than they claim Bush was at messing them up. Oh well, maybe one day he'll accept the hand he was dealt by winning the election, take responcibilty and be a REAL President too!

If you happen to read this message now (June 3 12:30 EST) take a look at the live feed of the leak.

http://www.cnn.com/v...=stream3&hpt=T1

They're putting the cap on and it's really fascinating.

Another fail so far, the cutting blade got stuck.

Without a single, or a very few, replacement stratagies, they will never be cost efficient.

And yet they apparently are because they are being used all over the world.

Oh, they are being used all over the world, but not because they are cost-efficient. They have other rewards, but cost is rarely one of them.

I thought there were two leaks? What's going on with the other leak and why is it never mentioned?

I never heard there was two leaks.

???

I never heard there was two leaks.

???

Yeah originally there were 3 and the one was plugged leaving two left. I'm just wondering where this other leak is that is not shown on the live feeds.

Anybody?

Yeah originally there were 3 and the one was plugged leaving two left. I'm just wondering where this other leak is that is not shown on the live feeds.

There were three. Now that the riser has been cutoff, there is only the flow coming out of the main hole/blow out preventer. The leaks were breaks in the riser pipe that had fallen over. Now that has been cut away. They put a cap on the blow out preventer (BOP) and it has vents that allow oil to leak out so that the cap doesn't blow off completely while they secure it. Once secured and connected to a ship on the surface, the vents will be closed and hopefully most of the oil will be no longer leaking.

until the next hurricane.

There were three. Now that the riser has been cutoff, there is only the flow coming out of the main hole/blow out preventer. The leaks were breaks in the riser pipe that had fallen over. Now that has been cut away. They put a cap on the blow out preventer (BOP) and it has vents that allow oil to leak out so that the cap doesn't blow off completely while they secure it. Once secured and connected to a ship on the surface, the vents will be closed and hopefully most of the oil will be no longer leaking.

until the next hurricane.

That's weird, I can't remember where I saw it, but I thought I read that the other leak was 5 miles away. I, or they, could be wrong.

You do realize that you're not making a logical corollary right now, right?

So what? Logic has no sole claim to the truth.

Only idiots believe that truth can only come from logic. That's too much like a religious claim.

I think, Agent, you didn't realize what I was saying. I was saying that the use of a particular technology, and its cost-effectiveness, don't necessarily go hand in hand-as ninja apparently believes.

I think, Agent, you didn't realize what I was saying. I was saying that the use of a particular technology, and its cost-effectiveness, don't necessarily go hand in hand-as ninja apparently believes.

Oh, okay, thank you.

Can anyone tell me why this leak seems worse than ever?

Can anyone tell me why they won't show the oil being syphoned to the ship?

These two experts seem to think the leak we have been looking at is not the only one. Check it out.

Can anyone tell me why this leak seems worse than ever?

The media and the fact that it's hitting the US. The Pemex Ixtoc disaster leaked for 10 months. I posted a story about it in this forum.

Can anyone tell me why they won't show the oil being syphoned to the ship?

I have seen it being siphoned in the Nat Geo special. Other than that, the area is somewhat restricted. Both because it will make BP look bad and because it's frankly dangerous to be in oil slicks.

The media and the fact that it's hitting the US. The Pemex Ixtoc disaster leaked for 10 months. I posted a story about it in this forum.

I have seen it being siphoned in the Nat Geo special. Other than that, the area is somewhat restricted. Both because it will make BP look bad and because it's frankly dangerous to be in oil slicks.

No not the media, I'm speaking about the live feeds my eyes are looking at.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think there is more to this than what they are showing us. We'll see.

How many other places in the world have to support the same kind of energy demands of the US? Sure, a wind up radio is a great thing in some places... even here in the US when they's a power failure but, I just don't see any way for the US to feed our power appetite with any of the replacement stratagies. I'd venture to say that New York City alone consumes more power than some entire nations do. (No, that's not bragging, just pointing out a fact).

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for alternative energies. I just don't think that they are a viable option for petroleum at the moment. Maybe in another 40 years, yes. For the next few decades, no.

How many other places in the world have to support the same kind of energy demands of the US? Sure, a wind up radio is a great thing in some places... even here in the US when they's a power failure but, I just don't see any way for the US to feed our power appetite with any of the replacement stratagies. I'd venture to say that New York City alone consumes more power than some entire nations do. (No, that's not bragging, just pointing out a fact).

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for alternative energies. I just don't think that they are a viable option for petroleum at the moment. Maybe in another 40 years, yes. For the next few decades, no.

Hydro electric dams

wind power

Solar Concentrated Energy

Photovoltaic Farms

Geothermal Energy

Tide turbines

Nuclear Power

All of the technology is NOW, my country broke a world record in producing 52% of its entire energy consumption from wind power alone, only for 2 days during a particularly windy spell, but nonetheless goes to show what can be achieved TODAY! This did not take into account the other forms of alternative energy also being pumped into the grid.

Hydro electric dams

wind power

Photovoltaic Farms

Geothermal Energy

Tide turbines

Nuclear Power

All of the technology is NOW, my country broke a world record in producing 52% of its entire energy consumption from wind power alone, only for 2 days during a particularly windy spell, but nonetheless goes to show what can be achieved TODAY! This did not take into account the other forms of alternative energy also being pumped into the grid.

None of that solves the whole issue of converting vehicles into gasless machines.

None of that solves the whole issue of converting vehicles into gasless machines.

Well, there are air engines, electric cars (charge off the power grid or solar), compressed natural gas engines (which run off mostly methane, which could be harvested from landfills, composing sites, and animal production), hydrogen and nitrogen cars, and a handful of other engine notions too. I'm not saying any of them are perfect, but then, neither are the standard engines currently being used. And no, using these methods wouldn't convert a current standard engine.

Well, there are air engines, electric cars (charge off the power grid or solar), compressed natural gas engines (which run off mostly methane, which could be harvested from landfills, composing sites, and animal production), hydrogen and nitrogen cars, and a handful of other engine notions too. I'm not saying any of them are perfect, but then, neither are the standard engines currently being used. And no, using these methods wouldn't convert a current standard engine.

Right but to bring this into reality, we must have a conversion kit for all the cars that exist now. Especially in these times. This is where I was going with that.

keithisco, on 06 June 2010 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hydro electric dams

wind power

Photovoltaic Farms

Geothermal Energy

Tide turbines

Nuclear Power

sure it does... it's a list of how Electricity can be produced. If we could make our electrical devices/appliances/vehicles vastly more energy efficient, which we can, then the energy production methods listed could easily supply all the energy we need.

I would scratch the nuclear steam kettle/turbine generators however. Too filthy and dangerous.

I believe the main obstacle between us and energy independence is the Oil industry.

Many people are not aware that in 1912 about one third of of the vehicles in boston and new york were electric. The demise of the electric vehicle was brought about mainly by the invention of the electric starter which eliminated the need for the difficult and dangerous engine cranks.... also by the increasing abundance of gasoline from the newly emerging oil industry... and, the fact that electric cars were quite a bit more expensive. As the Oil tycoons gained power they eliminated competitive electric mass transit systems in major cities (trolly cars) .. and replaced them with buses.

The tidal generators seem like a good and highly efficient idea... they seem to be quite safe to sea life.. would be placed in areas close to high population densities (coasts) ... and produce energy very nearly continuously as the tides go IN and OUT . An equal area of moving water produces 300 time more energy than moving air.

..anyway, in my opinion, offshore drilling should not be allowed... you can thank Bush and Obama each for growing that sector. Like all facets of government.. they are putty in the hands of the elite . Wealth is power .. some things never change!

After the Exxon Valdez spill , there was legislation drafted ..TO LIMIT THE PENALTIES THAT COULD BE IMPOSED ON OIL COMPANIES FOR CLEANUP COSTS AND LIABILITIES!!! i forget the amount.. well under one billion per incident... under one hundred million....

As for the approximately 30% ?? of crude oils that go into the production of other than fuels... all? or nearly all? of those products could be made with bio oils instead. How much plastic do we really need?

ok.. i'm done. .. except to say i'm sad for the gulf ,the life within it, and the people near it.