Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smells & Spirits?

LauraH

Over the years there has been unexplained activity in my house. I don't know if someone died there, but it seems to have started about the time my daughter was born (16 years ago). My father died two weeks before she was born, and when she was around three, we smelled a fishy smell in her bedroom. She was the one that brought it to my attention. The smell would come and go for several years, it wouldn't matter what time of year it was (I thought at first it might be something dead under the house) and it was odd because my dad was an avid fisherman. My daughter and I got to the point where we would joke about it and say "grandpa came to visit you".

Lately, within the last two years, I wake up in the middle of the night and smell smoke. Not cigarette smoke, but like something is on fire. I got another wiff of it this morning. My husband doesn't smell anything, which is odd to me. Also, my dad was a fireman.

Does this sound loopy? Is my deceased father around making me (and my daughter) smell these things? There had been some activity in the kitchen years back also where my ex-husband felt something in there, called me in and I felt like there was someone in there with me. He told me that the pots had been moving a moment before I got in there. Any insight would be terrific. My husband thinks I'm crazy. Thanks.

Laura

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LauraH

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• jtheat

• Voyager10

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura,

I don't think you are crazy at all. Of all the senses, the sense of smell will trigger more memories than all of the other senses. I beleive that the smell of smoke or a slight fishy smell triggers memories of your father. It may not be anything paranormal. Now the moving pots sounds like activities that are of a poltergeist in nature. From what I understand, this seems to happen more often where there are children in the house. I will let more experience posters tell you more about this. I will say that it doesn't sound malevolent. Good luck.

Does this sound loopy? Is my deceased father around making me (and my daughter) smell these things?

Depends on who you ask. It's certainly not unheard of for smells and scents to be one way that their 'energy' can materialise, or as a form of communication. Whether this is what you're experiencing or not is hard to say. If these scents are personal and meaningful to you and remind you of the people who they are strongly associated then it's possible something could be happening.

Does your daughter smell the same scents too ?

If the smell reminds you of your father/grandfather, maybe the spiritual presence of your father/grandfather triggers your brain to think it experiences this smell?

Edited by Voyager10

Sometimes, lose of close ones gives you Hallucinations, which may mainly describe to "Olfactory Hallucinations" which is caused by the physical condition of the body accompanied my growing depression and similar thoughts, which inturn affects the olfactory cortex, which is responsible of perceiving the smell as it is.Olfactory Hallucinations mainly takes the smell of rotten fish,smoke and urine.So, its possible that this is what you are experiencing

Thanks

B???

Read the comments, pondered over them a while, and reflected over situations where relatives have died but really didn't seem to be gone.One aunt was proud of her cooking cookies and was almost always "working" in her kitchen. After her funeral and for some weeks after, the very clear smell of cookies cooking, somewhere, was noticed in the house, faintly, but it would literally knock you over in the kitchen, the stove had not been on, though stoves have a history of holding smells in them, esp.wood heated stoves. As for hallucinations, nope, as several noticed it, unless one wants to try for some type of group "hysteria" or "group hallucination", which is just as laughable. There is enough for each one to have their interpertation of what/where the smells came from, who sent them, etc. So far, it doesn't seem a threat, you could keep a log of the when and where it is noticed but it might be like my aunt, just letting one know she is around, on an off and on basis.Best of luck.

Edited by Graveyard Hound

My daughter has smelled the fish smell. The smoke smell seems to come to me in the middle of the night, I don't smell it at any other time. I would actually welcome the spirit of my father if this is what it is. I would hope this is what it is that's triggering it. It's only in my house, no other place have I felt any sort of presence.

All of your comments have been helpful. I knew by coming here I wouldn't be perceived as being odd or crazy. Thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate it!