Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Perdition

Arizona Governor signs Immigration Bill

272 posts in this topic

Wickian

I also read that the bill allows the state to take legal action against any federal agencies that might try to interfere with them.

Siara

It seems to me that the state has the right to protect it's borders. The residents of Arizona do not have an obligation to give potential jobs to illegal aliens.

In addition, I see no reason why we should treat illegal Mexican immigrants any differently from how they treat illegal American immigrants. See Michelle's post in "US Politics/Arizona passes tough illegal immigration law" for the details of their policy.

I'm a huge Obama supporter for the most part. Contrary to what hysterical Conservative media would have us believe, he is a moderate whose policies come from the head (LOGIC) rather than the heart (esoteric religious beliefs, "good vs. evil" comic book morality, weird political alliances, etc). But in this case Obama's got it way wrong. When America takes an ultra-liberal, forgiving attitude towards illegal immigration the working class folks who reside in Arizona, New Mexico, and California take the full brunt of the inconvenience. THEY are the ones who compete against an illegal work force that will work for less than minimum wage. For the rest of us, immigration is a philosophical issue. The folks who bear the consequences of the policy should call the shots.

If the natives of Arizona don't want illegal immigrants in their state, they are within their rights. Obama needs to butt out.

----------------------------------------------

I must say, though... given the fact that a huge percentage of their population is Latino/Native American I don't see how this racial profiling stuff is going to work. Are the cops going to stop 50% of the folks they see on the street?

Wickian

----------------------------------------------

I must say, though... given the fact that a huge percentage of their population is Latino/Native American I don't see how this racial profiling stuff is going to work. Are the cops going to stop 50% of the folks they see on the street?

Well they can only question the citizenship of those that they have a reasonable assumption are illegal. To me that sounds like anyone who doesn't speak, or is very poor at, English. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that one of the prerequisites of legal immigration is learning the language.

Edit: The only times the above method would fail are the parents of American children who haven't learned the language yet(I had a friend in Arizona when I lived there who's parent's were illegal immigrants and spoke little-to-no English).

Edited by Wickian

Rhomphaia

I actually think this law leaves makes it too easy to ignore the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. It will probably be struck down on those grounds.

That said, I agree that something MUST be done. Illegal immigration is hurting economies and the illegals are showing a tendency of getting more violent and getting more brutal when they do get violent. However, this law is not the answer. It is a knee-jerk reaction to a problem the federal government absolutely refuses to address, in spite of the lives and livelihoods of American citizens being put in direct jeopardy.

Amberlight

It's just a bad bill. It makes hispanics feel singled out. If I and "Maria" were stopped by some cop, he would give her a hard time with this bill and let me walk. It's unfair and causes a double standard as to how cops treat hispanics.

If we would only enforce the laws we already have and go after the business that hire them no questions asked, things would change. ICE needs to throw some CEO's in jail, not the illegals.

Cradle of Fish
It's just a bad bill. It makes hispanics feel singled out. If I and "Maria" were stopped by some cop, he would give her a hard time with this bill and let me walk. It's unfair and causes a double standard as to how cops treat hispanics.

If we would only enforce the laws we already have and go after the business that hire them no questions asked, things would change. ICE needs to throw some CEO's in jail, not the illegals.

That's a good point.

Maybe the US Government needs to send some people to Mexico and assess the situation to find out why exactly people are leaving in droves and see if there are any solutions. Sure, a row of guns at the border would work, but it is terribly expensive and undiplomatic, and frankly, unfriendly. I wouldn't want to be someone tasked with the job of shooting at otherwise innocent people who are just desperate enough for a better life that they'd illegally cross the border. To do such a thing is just addressing the symptoms, not the causes.

Solipsi Rai

Many US states are currently broke and some like Arizona have dealt with high rates of illegal immigration in the past decade, what you get when two things collide will result in a crackdown on civil rights not seen since 9-11 or WWII.

I feel the law should be enforced, but I disagree with the state law wants to give the police and state officials the right to arrest or intern anyone they suspect are here "illegally".

I understand Mexican-Americans and other Hispanics feel strongly about the issue on illegal immigration, many of the communities aren't entirely illegal immigrant nor foreign-born...and some vocally dislike undocumented workers they accuse of stolen jobs from US citizens of any race/nationality.

The law shall take effect in 90 days and immigration rights activists have enough time to take it to the US supreme court. There have been massive demonstrations in Los Angeles and other states beyond the Mexican border region like Washington DC.

For Californians, they remember Prop. 187 in 1994 was unaminously passed into law by the state ballot...to only be rejected as unconstitutional by the 9th circuit of the Supreme Court based in San Francisco in a matter of days.

Edited by Archangel Michael

the1truebat

The chickens are finally coming home to roost. This isn't a new problem, the reason bills like this get passed is that the federal government drags it's feet. They've drug their feet on this one since I was a kid. I'm glad to see a state taking a stand on this.

Perdition

Arizona governor signs immigration bill.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/23/20100423arizona-immigration-law-passed.html

Now Arizona can force the Army National Guard to protect the border. This means the Federal Government can be used to round up illegal immigrants and deport them even though the current administration is developing an amnesty program. Sounds like another Federal conflict of interest!

Would you be willing to pay higher taxes to pay for the National Guard to lower crime, save American jobs, and deport those that are here illegally milking our health care and lowering the standards in our education system?

How do you think the BO adminstration is going to react to this bill?

Will other states join the campaign?

The only reason why Arizona is the lowest on education is because our state legislator doesn't give a crap about education. They have been cutting education funds right and left, while trying to set things like an entertainment tax to support our baseball teams.

Also increase in illegal immigration does not correlate to increased crime rates. Hispanics have a high crime rate because there are so many of them in the state but white people still hold the highest crime rate in the state of Arizona, doubling the crime rates of Hispanics. Statistics can be seen here: http://www.azdps.gov/About/Reports/docs/Crime_In_Arizona_Report_2008.pdf

And for population statistics can be seen here: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/04000.html

You want to save american jobs? Then tell companies to stop shipping their jobs overseas to places like India. Those are the jobs America needs to rebuild our economy while minimum wage jobs is only good for students like me who don't have a full education yet (or people who don't have an education overall).

Astute One

It's not their race that's going to single them out or make officers suspicious. It's their command of the English language and this isn't racial profiling. It's language profiling or some other obvious thing that indicates a Mexican nationality.

So profiling a Mexican, not a hispanic, is not racial profiling because there are caucasian Mexicans, negro Mexicans, and asian Mexicans etc, etc; and if they are hear illegally, they will get treated the same as hispanic Mexicans. It's descrimination against nationality and that's not illegal and it is not racial profiling.

It would be like decriminating against an American and only profiling a caucasian person. This doesn't make sense. It's a diverse world and the race card shouldn't work in this case.

Edited by Astute One

Cradle of Fish

It's not their race that's going to single them out or make officers suspicious. It's their command of the English language and this isn't racial profiling. It's language profiling or some other obvious thing that indicates a Mexican nationality.

So profiling a Mexican, not a hispanic, is not racial profiling because there are caucasian Mexicans, negro Mexicans, and asian Mexicans etc, etc; and if they are hear illegally, they will get treated the same as hispanic Mexicans. It's descrimination against nationality and that's not illegal and it is not racial profiling.

It would be like decriminating against an American and only profiling a caucasian person. This doesn't make sense. It's a diverse world and the race card shouldn't work in this case.

But that is impossible. It might not explicitly state racial profiling, but that's what it will end up.

Farmer77

But that is impossible. It might not explicitly state racial profiling, but that's what it will end up.

Lets play devils advocate here: If there was a serial killer in your city who would the police be looking for? White middle aged males right? Ok so here we have the problem - murder and the suspects white middle aged males.

When it comes to this bill you have a problem - illegal immigration and the suspects Mexicans. Whats the problem here?

Now the reality of the bill is that police aren't going to go out of their way to harass Mexican Americans or Mexicans for that matter but they can now legally ask those who they are already interacting with to prove who they are. The outrage here in Phoenix has come from a vocal few and has been absolutely overblown by the media since something like 70% of Arizonans approve of the bill.

Mekorig

The Supreme Court will show some logic and common sense, and shot down that "1930 Germany"-esque law.

SRCivic98

personally I find nothing wrong with this law in Arizona. It just means the state has control of wait happens instead of waiting on the federal government to do anything which is legal citizenship every single time. At least this will give them a little bit of an advantage of seeing who's who. Not mention, maybe by eliminating the illegals from the legals, then maybe we'll see a little bit chance at getting jobs. The government is just p***ed because now the state has said enough is enough and no longer relying on their aid. Which to be honest...is probably the state's best idea that they've done.

Also, I don't think it's harming anyone's rights at all really if it's done the right way. I mean come on, how many complain about illegals taking all of our jobs because they'll work for a bowl of beans but we want to get paid for doing our work....anyone see what I'm talking about here?

acidhead

The federal reserve corporation loves all the illegal immigrants.

Want to rid the nation of illegals, lower the national debt and bring back prosperity to America?

-audit the fed and return the printing press to the american people once and for all.

ninjadude

Any state government cannot control or effect immigration. That belongs to the federal government. A state can't decide to do something it has no right to. So besides being unconstitutional based on racial profiling, it won't stand up to being in it's jurisdiction either.

For those that don't support this racist law and state, there is a facebook group to punish Arizona. Stop doing business with those based in Arizona, stop going there, etc. An organization of truckers is already boycotting Arizona.

Perdition

Any state government cannot control or effect immigration. That belongs to the federal government. A state can't decide to do something it has no right to. So besides being unconstitutional based on racial profiling, it won't stand up to being in it's jurisdiction either.

For those that don't support this racist law and state, there is a facebook group to punish Arizona. Stop doing business with those based in Arizona, stop going there, etc. An organization of truckers is already boycotting Arizona.

That kind of sucks for people living in Arizona, but the best I can do is protest and vote these people out of office.

Astute One

Boy are you wrong about state government. I'm not even going to go into why. It won't do you any good. You won't understand it. You have a right to protest and I won't talk smack about it. Just remember what you are doing the next time you critize the teaparty Americans for exercising the same right you are by organizing a protest.

Edited by Astute One

ninjadude

That kind of sucks for people living in Arizona, but the best I can do is protest and vote these people out of office.

I know. I expect that there will be a lot of consequences to this law. It will cost the state a lot of money to implement and defend. It will cost the state jobs and revenue. I'm sure some people will move - something that the lawmakers will be giddy about - until they lose that tax base. So the local Arizona Tea Partiers will have nothing to say when their taxes go up. It's a microcosm of what would happen if this was done on a national scale.

ninjadude

Boy are you wrong about state government. Just remember what you are doing the next time you critize the teaparty Americans for exercising the same right you are by organizing a protest.

Immigration is in the US federal constitution. The Tea Partiers will have to eat crow when their taxes go up because of lost revenue.

Astute One

I know. I expect that there will be a lot of consequences to this law. It will cost the state a lot of money to implement and defend. It will cost the state jobs and revenue. I'm sure some people will move - something that the lawmakers will be giddy about - until they lose that tax base. So the local Arizona Tea Partiers will have nothing to say when their taxes go up. It's a microcosm of what would happen if this was done on a national scale.

Silly boy, this only needs to be done in the states that border Mexico. Other states can choose to follow suit. This is their choice. Not yours and not mine. Is this going to impact your state, Turtle. Yeah, you will lose some cheap labor. More hiprocrisy.

I saw an article that said over 70% of the population are for it.

Looks like a win for the American people of Arizona to me, and a loss for Mexicans. Boo hoo!

Yeah, people are going to move alright. The Mexicans are going to moved back to Mexico. chuckle. chuckle.

Astute One

Immigration is in the US federal constitution. The Tea Partiers will have to eat crow when their taxes go up because of lost revenue.

Yes, and they should be sued for negligence and deriliction of duty for not doing their job. They just got fired and should be forced to reimburse the state of Arizona for their incompetence.

Somethings are worth paying for and somethings are not. The AZ people I know, even though they don't make much money, are all for their taxes going up to solve this problem. This is an emergency situation and any logical, level headed person would see this is the right thing to do to protect the Arizona citizens of the US. All citizens have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and all these illegals are interfering with these rights.

This infringement on rights is happening to legal hispanic immigrants as well, but the infringement on their rights is ignored because of familty ties, so they side with illegal immigrant family members and attempt to make a rights violation out of racial profiling when it does not exist as mentioned in my above post.

I wish Texas would follow suit. Rick Perry, TX Gov., just got poked hard. He can't do anything now because this is an election year. I think he will follow suit right after the election, if he wins; which he will hands down. I think he has been waiting for another state to set precedence before he risks failure.

Wait and see.

Edited by Astute One

ninjadude

I saw an article that said over 70% of the population are for it.

popularity does not trump constitutionality.

Looks like a win for the American people of Arizona to me, and a loss for Mexicans. Boo hoo!

Yeah, people are going to move alright. The Mexicans are going to moved back to Mexico. chuckle. chuckle.

racism and bigotry are not something to be proud of/

ninjadude

Yes, and they should be sued for negligence and deriliction of duty for not doing their job.

you're funny.

are all for their taxes going up to solve this problem.

Then the Tea Partiers have no Arizona chapter?

This is an emergency situation

in no way, under any convoluted mindset is this an emergency.

All citizens have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and all these illegals are interfering with these rights.

facts not in evidence.

This infringement on rights is happening to legal hispanic immigrants as well

thereby making it illegal

I wish Texas would follow suit.

Wait and see.

a sick bunch of people.

ohio traveler

Those on the left never seem to get tired of crying " racism " over every little thing.