Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brits believe the hills are alive with haggis

behaviour???

One in five people in Britain thinks that haggis, the traditional Scottish dish made from the lung, liver and heart of a sheep, is an animal that roams the Highlands, according to a survey on Friday.

Commissioned by the online takeaway food service Just-Eat.co.uk, the survey found that 18 percent of Britons believe that haggis is a hilltop-dwelling animal.

Another 15 percent said it is a Scottish musical instrument while 4 percent admitted to thinking it was a character from Harry Potter.

The survey questioned 1,623 people across Britain to see how well they were acquainted with traditional Scottish food.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Thanks

B???

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hetrodoxly

• Michelle

• Still Waters

• arglebargle

:w00t: Thanks B???, this is hilarious!!!

1 in 5..... OMG! This is just absurd. Even some people from the US and Europe etc know what Haggis is. That is disgraceful.

A disgusting name for a disgusting dish. Nothing against our British brethren but if it weren't for fish and chips I'd likely starve in the UK. I do know a little about the history and why they enjoy these dishes so much and it's not because they started out that way. It had a lot to do with being poor and scarcity of meat back in the day. (did I just say "back in the day"? I hate that.)

A disgusting name for a disgusting dish. Nothing against our British brethren but if it weren't for fish and chips I'd likely starve in the UK. I do know a little about the history and why they enjoy these dishes so much and it's not because they started out that way. It had a lot to do with being poor and scarcity of meat back in the day. (did I just say "back in the day"? I hate that.)

If it wasn't for McDonald's i'd probably starve in America, thinking about it i'd probably starve.

If it wasn't for McDonald's i'd probably starve in America, thinking about it i'd probably starve.

This!

How does haggis = all food in the UK?

This!

I was being flippant, the post is about people who don't even know what haggis is let alone eating it.

I was being flippant, the post is about people who don't even know what haggis is let alone eating it.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was agreeing with your post, but the second part of my post wasn't intended to be a question aimed at you- rather what you were responding to yourself.

~~

I must say, I now have a nice little image of a "haggis" meandering about a Scottish hilltop...

You think the OP is bad....

I was seeing this girl years ago, I took her to scotland for a long weekend, we were out driving through the highlands one day and noticed loads of sheep standing on the side of a really steep hill. She said "wow, that looks dangerous", my reply "no it's alright, their front and back legs on their left side are shorter then the right side, so they can stand sideways on the hill without falling over"......her reply, with a serious look on her face "how do they turn around"!!!

....I didn't know if to laugh or cry!

Sorry, should have been more clear. I was agreeing with your post, but the second part of my post wasn't intended to be a question aimed at you- rather what you were responding to yourself.

~~

I must say, I now have a nice little image of a "haggis" meandering about a Scottish hilltop...

I caught a couple of the little buggers last week.

Spoken like a true Haggis Fan. Of all the inedible food in the US, you picked the worst?!?

You think the OP is bad....

I was seeing this girl years ago, I took her to scotland for a long weekend, we were out driving through the highlands one day and noticed loads of sheep standing on the side of a really steep hill. She said "wow, that looks dangerous", my reply "no it's alright, their front and back legs on their left side are shorter then the right side, so they can stand sideways on the hill without falling over"......her reply, with a serious look on her face "how do they turn around"!!!

....I didn't know if to laugh or cry!

I'd have laughed till I cried. :rofl:

This thread wouldn't be complete without the Spicey McHaggis Jig!

Edited by MissMelsWell

Lol, I love haggis, pity they dont sell it much in England (and not as a deep fried fast food in late night takaways!)

I know though that several people including myself have propogated the hilldwelling animal myth: Ive heard of several Scotsmen who regularly take Americans on haggis hunting tours (and for a very reasonable price!)...and I like to tell (when drunk)the almost true and epic tale of a quest to catch a haggis, undertaken by myself and a scottish friend one Burns Night a long time ago (suitabily equipped with Cricket bats, wheel barrows and a small yellow filling cabinet: essential for haggis hunting apparently). Unfortunatly the quest failed, and we had to make do with pheasant, but its nearly as entertaining as the one about the dropbears...

Haggis is good once you get past the idea of what it's made of, it's got a nice spicy taste. Not all are made using the traditional recipe either, so the taste probably varies a lot.

http://www.anythingscottish.com/haggis-recipe

I've known what haggis was since I was a kid. True, I do have a scottish grandfather, but he died when I was quite young, only met the guy once.

Anyhow, I'd quite like to try haggis some time. I've had liver before, for dinner. It's one of those things you either love or hate. And I love it. Always extremely tender, and I like the taste of it. Plus it's full of Vitamin D (d3) and other nutrients that are quite good for you. And apparently it's easier to digest than meat as well, so it has health benefits compared to most meat. Haggis does contain more than just the liver, but I am not particularly fussed about that.

I think people shouldn't be afraid to try it. Most people eat sausages now and then, and they are far worse.

Consider it: the stuff that doesn't even get put into haggis is being minced into an unrecognizable pulp, and shoved into a pigs colon. You eat it in a bun, usually with mustard and ketchup.

Haggis is good once you get past the idea of what it's made of, it's got a nice spicy taste. Not all are made using the traditional recipe either, so the taste probably varies a lot.

http://www.anythingscottish.com/haggis-recipe

Well said! I try and explain this to people all the time. I think it does taste very unique and good.

This!

I never claimed that Haggis = all food in the UK. My comment was regarding many of the popular dishes served there. I am just not a fan of British cuisine. I hope that clarifies my position.

I never claimed that Haggis = all food in the UK. My comment was regarding many of the popular dishes served there. I am just not a fan of British cuisine. I hope that clarifies my position.

British "cuisine"?

post-40427-127237961876_thumb.jpg

vomit-smiley-014.gif

Well a traditional British dinner is roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, two types of veg, gravy and horseradish,

You can exchange the beef with lamb, pork or chicken.

There's lots of regional dishes, lancashire hotpot, cornish pasties, crommer crabs, etc., what British food is it that you don't like?

British "cuisine"?

post-40427-127237961876_thumb.jpg

vomit-smiley-014.gif

What is that?