Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO Reports from the Santa Catalina Channel.

karl 12

It looks like there's been an unusualy high (and constant) number of UFO/USO sightings from the area around the Santa Catalina Channel off the California Coastline - below are some of the reports including a bizarre incident in 1992 where residents flooded the police with reports of multiple objects emerging from the ocean - there's also an excellent article by MUFON's Preston Dennet who goes into more detail about UFO/USO reports in the area.

a85babd55c6e.gif

Dates:

"The first California underwater UFO was on July 7, 1947 when two San Raphael teen-agers saw a "flat glistening object" emerge from the water, fly around and then dive back into the water 400 yards from shore. Throughout this same year, numerous steamers reported a mysterious 'undersea mountain' or a 'large mass underwater' which kept appearing and disappearing in various locations in the San Francisco Bay and down the coast.

Following this, the sightings came regularly, in 1951, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1970, 1980, 1990, 1991, 1993, 2004 the list goes on, most from the Santa Catalina channel. The sightings involve many highly credible witnesses including lifeguards, security guards, law enforcement officials, military officers and countless citizens.

The Top Twenty California UFO Encounters

Incident:

Topanga Canyon - see 3:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUt6qtgJaVY

The Santa Catalina Channel separates mainland California from the island of Catalina, this particular stretch of water is as deep as Mount Everest is high and UFO's/USO's have been seen both entering the water and emerging from its murky depths.

But on June 14th 1992 , there were reportedly hundreds of USO's observed rising from the water.

Independent witnesses claim that there were in excess of two hundred USO's that emerged from the water, hovering momentarily before accelerating off into the sky at blistering speeds, all the while in complete silence.

There were many witnesses, many of whom filed reports with their respective local police forces, some of which were as far away as Malibu.

These reports quickly filtered through to the US coast guard who subsequently refused all requests to search the area of the sightings.

Recording of witness phone call to police:

"I'm ashamed to tell you cause you're gonna' think I?m crazy -I have never been more frightened in my life"

Audio Link

UFOS OVER TOPANGA CANYON

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• badeskov

• Hazzard

• Lcvec

Top Posters In This Topic

Quotes:

Article: Fate Magazine, February 2006

..Most of these reports came from a certain stretch of California coastline, from about Santa Barbara south to Long Beach. This particular body of water, I soon learned, had a widespread reputation as a UFO hotspot. After several witnesses told me they believed there was an underwater UFO base there, I decided to conduct a more in-depth investigation to determine the truth.

My first step was to survey the research of other prominent investigators. To my surprise, most of the local researchers were already aware of the sightings.

Writes Ann Druffel,

“This body of water lies between the coastlines of Southern California and Santa Catalina Island, 20 miles offshore to the southwest. The area has for at least thirty years been the scene of UFO reports of all kinds: surface sightings of hazy craft which cruise leisurely in full view of military installations, aerial spheres bobbing in oscillating flight, gigantic cloud-cigars, and at least one report of an underwater UFO with uniformed occupants.”

Another researcher, Robert Stanley, editor of the now defunct magazine Unicus, writes,

“Even in the sixties, families were going down to the beach and waiting for a UFO to pass by…. By the 1970s, whole families were going down to the beach at Point Dume at night to watch the multi-colored UFOs [that] would sink under the water at times.”

MUFON field investigator Bill Hamilton writes,

“For years witnesses have seen many types of UFO cruising off the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California. UFOs have actually been seen to come out of the water in the San Pedro Channel.”

I had already uncovered several firsthand cases myself. My next step was to put together a comprehensive list of all the recorded ocean-going encounters in the area.

I came up with more than 50 sightings..

UFOs off the Southern California Coast

Interesting topic Karl...I haven't heard that much about USO's but something could be going on there. I wonder if anyone actually tried to investigate it further, tried to see what was there or something, I'm sure that if there is any underwater UFO base then it shouldn't be hard to find (assuming it's big enough not to move quickly and that it actually exists).

Interesting topic Karl...I haven't heard that much about USO's but something could be going on there. I wonder if anyone actually tried to investigate it further, tried to see what was there or something, I'm sure that if there is any underwater UFO base then it shouldn't be hard to find (assuming it's big enough not to move quickly and that it actually exists).

Hmmm, I would be rather skeptical about that to be honest. Right along that coast line a lot of naval activity is going on. Point Mugu Air station is right in that area:

The Naval Air Weapons Station, Point Mugu, operates and maintains station facilities and provides support services for Naval Air Warfare Center, Weapons Division and assigned tenants and activities. These services include air terminal, air traffic control2_bing.gif, firefighting and crash crews, and an outlying landing facility at San Nicolas Island.

Point Mugu is part of the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWPNS), the Navy's full spectrum research, development, test evaluation, and in-service engineering center for weapons systems associated with air warfare (except for anti-submarine warfare systems), missiles and missile subsystems, aircraft weapons integration and assigned airborne electronic warfare systems. NAWCWPNS also maintains and operates the air, land, and sea Naval Western Test Range Complex (NWTRC).

The Weapons Division includes the Naval Air Weapons Station (NAWS), Point Mugu, California, the Naval Air Weapons Station, China Lake, California, and the Ordnance Missile Test Station (NOMTS), White Sands, New Mexico. NAWCWPNS integrates the activities of these organizations, thereby providing an expanded capability for research, development, test evaluation and support throughout the life cycle of Department of Defense2_bing.gif weapons and aircraft weapons systems. Additionally, NAWCWPNS organizations also contribute to naval surface missile systems and tactical as well as strategic deterrent weapons, and supports various Department of Defense and other governmental agencies for special projects.

Emphasis mine.

Furthermore, a little further down at San Diego is Naval Station San Diego

Naval Station (NAVSTA), San Diego provides shore support and berthing facilities to the operating forces of the U.S. Pacific Fleet. There are over 50 ships homeported at the Naval Station, with over 50 tenant commands at Naval Station. The 14 Piers encompass 12 miles of the 1029 land acres used by Naval Station San Diego. The base population is more than 35,000 military and more than 7,000 civilians. Today, Naval Station has grown to be the largest surface force support installation. The major tenants include the Public Works Center, the Ship Intermediate Maintenance Activity, and the Fleet Training Center.

Also Camp Pendleton is in that area.

Camp Pendleton is committed to operating and maintaining the world's finest amphibious training facility. With more than 125,000 acres of varied terrain and 17.1 more miles of shoreline, Camp Pendleton is one of the Department of Defense's busiest training installations.

The base's varied topography, combined with its amphibious training areas, inland training ranges and airspace, offers maximum flexibility for Marine Air Ground Task Forces and other service units that require a realistic combat training environment. Each year more than 40,000 active-duty and 26,000 reserve military personnel from all services use Camp Pendleton's many ranges and training facilities to maintain and sharpen their combat skills.

Besides that a number of other military facilities are located in the area, and not to mention the interest in the whole area from marine biologist from University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and University of California, San Diego (UCSD). Besides that, there are excellent fishing areas and lots of oil below the sea bed, meaning oil rigs and prospecting going on.

So not only would any abnormal activity most likely have been found and analyzed by a number of independent entities, I find it vastly more likely that somebody saw something of very Earthly origin that they simply didn't know and leaped to conclusions that have no basis in reality.

Just my two cents on this matter :)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

Hmmm, I would be rather skeptical about that to be honest. Right along that coast line a lot of naval activity is going on. Point Mugu Air station is right in that area:

Emphasis mine.

Furthermore, a little further down at San Diego is Naval Station San Diego

Also Camp Pendleton is in that area.

Besides that a number of other military facilities are located in the area, and not to mention the interest in the whole area from marine biologist from University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and University of California, San Diego (UCSD). Besides that, there are excellent fishing areas and lots of oil below the sea bed, meaning oil rigs and prospecting going on.

So not only would any abnormal activity most likely have been found and analyzed by a number of independent entities, I find it vastly more likely that somebody saw something of very Earthly origin that they simply didn't know and leaped to conclusions that have no basis in reality.

Just my two cents on this matter :)

Cheers,

Badeskov

I didn't say I believe it :P

What I tried to say was that I found it interesting because if there was anything alien in there and it could be seen by anyone quite often, then why wouldn't anyone (by that I meant the military) investigate further? I actually believe that most UFO's people report are nothing but military aircrafts people don't know about, but that's just my opinion...

Thanks for the replies - some of the coastal and submerged reports on this page sound extremely strange and, if taken at face value, bear very little resemblance to missiles etc.. - I certainly do appreciate the input though. :)

There's some interesting footage below taken over Catalina Island by US Navy photographer Leland Hansen on the 15th April, 1966 - the first video has some further info but the second link is a bit better quality.

On assignment to photograph Catalina Island for the US Navy, Mr. Leland Hanson of the Coast Guards, was in a helicopter when he filmed this object, which at first hovered, then sped across the length of the island. According to independent photographic experts, the disc's calculated velocity was between 130 to 170mph, and had no apparent wings or tail that would signify it as an airplane. However, researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory computer enhanced the image and found that there might have been a tail rudder. The filming is shown first at real speed, then again in slow motion.

Link

Better quality:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2336568267881688456

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

They maybe Right under the Navy`s Eye`s and Ears also ! We need but to think outside the Box all the time to try and understand the possibilities in our Universe !

Nothing is Impossible nor Improbable

Yes! ..It's another good one 'Karl!'..and I've seen the Catalina island vid before....But have never heared about all of the other stuff, in the area!! Very interesting!...AS is 'Badeskovs' point...(a very peculiar place to keep a secret with all of those potential witnesses?)...unless....they were there first!?..thanks 'Karl'!

Thanks for the replies -the USO subject is certainly a very interesting one and there's a good interview here with Carl Feindt who's done quite a lot of research into the subject - the Catalina Channel reports listed at the link do contain some very interesting accounts and I did find this one pretty freaky:

November 6, 1957: Early morning in Playa Del Rey, three cars driving along the Pacific Coast Highway suddenly stall when a large “egg-shaped object” surrounded in a “blue haze” lands on the beach only a few yards away.

Witnesses Richard Kehoe, Ronald Burke, and Joe Thomas exit their cars and observe two strange-looking men disembarking from the object. The UFO occupants have “yellowish-green skin” and wear “black leather pants, white belts and light colored jerseys.” They walk up to the witnesses and begin asking questions. Kehoe and the others are unable to understand the occupants, who are apparently speaking a foreign language. After a few moments, the figures return to the object, which takes off and accelerates out of sight.

That same day at 3:50 p.m., an officer and 12 airmen from an Air Force detachment in nearby Long Beach observe six saucer-shaped objects zooming across the sky. Two hours later, officers at Los Alamitos Naval Air Station report seeing “numerous” objects criss-crossing the sky. At the same time, police stations in Long Beach receive more than 100 calls from residents reporting UFOs.

Link

There's also a good clip here from UFO hunters where they interview some of the witnessess from around the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B8hU__dF9g

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies -the USO subject is certainly a very interesting one and there's a good interview here with Carl Feindt who's done quite a lot of research into the subject - the Catalina Channel reports listed at the link do contain some very interesting accounts and I did find this one pretty freaky:

There's also a good clip here from UFO hunters where they interview some of the witnessess from around the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B8hU__dF9g

Cheers.

Another nice link'Karl!'..enjoyed reading the list!....But as for the one that you highlighted...well...I'm always a little(dare i say it?....sceptical!)..when witnesses say that the 'drivers',of such 'fantastical craft', casually stroll up to them and,..start 'chewing the fat!'..and then just as casually stroll back!..andtake off again!..when they do'nt get a decent conversation!! :hmm: ..I'm not saying that it's not possible!(just a bit iffy!)some of the others on the list look more promising though!!....Oh!...and while I was searching for more info about it....I noticed that, there is a under-water(5ft under) glass marine tour ship operating in the area ,both night and day!...Making it, IMO , even more of a 'peculiar place' to keep a secret!..what do you think?

I was flying over that exact area back in -92 every day, and I newer saw, or heard, a thing about it. :blink:

Edited by Hazzard

I was flying over that exact area back in -92 every day, and I newer saw, or heard, a thing about it. :blink:

Very nice area indeed. Did you ever go to Avalon?

Cheers,

Badeskov

Very nice area indeed. Did you ever go to Avalon?

Cheers,

Badeskov

All the time. Thinking back it was really cool to zip over to Catalina for lunch. They had those incredible buffalo burgers back then. :tu:

All the time. Thinking back it was really cool to zip over to Catalina for lunch. They had those incredible buffalo burgers back then. :tu:

Ah, love the place. But I have actually never eaten a burger there, always eaten fish. By the way, got my first US ticket there - in a darn golf cart :P....oh well. Besides that, amazing fishing opportunities. Rats, now you inspired me and I probably should get my gear and get going soon again ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Ah, love the place. But I have actually never eaten a burger there, always eaten fish. By the way, got my first US ticket there - in a darn golf cart :P....oh well. Besides that, amazing fishing opportunities. Rats, now you inspired me and I probably should get my gear and get going soon again ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Fish was great too :tu: Im sad to say that I never did fish in CA... did hundreds of hours flying over the boats taking pictures though.

I lived in Florida/Bahamas for about a year... Now that was fishy. :tu:

Edited by Hazzard

Fish was great too :tu: Im sad to say that I never did fish in CA... did hundreds of hours flying over the boats taking pictures though.

I lived in Florida/Bahamas for about a year... Now that was fishy. :tu:

Florida is amazing for fishing as well, truly. A couple of years back one of my friends was visiting, and during the day we went out for deep sea fishing (300 feet) and in the evening we were treated (before eating our fish) with the spectacular view of a satellite launch from Vandenberg Air Force base, which is only some 30 miles from where I live. Amazing day and evening - I have some pretty cool pictures I took of that :)

Well, we'd better stop before getting accused of hijacking the thread ;)

Cheers,

Badeskov

Another nice link'Karl!'..enjoyed reading the list!....But as for the one that you highlighted...well...I'm always a little(dare i say it?....sceptical!)..when witnesses say that the 'drivers',of such 'fantastical craft', casually stroll up to them and,..start 'chewing the fat!'..and then just as casually stroll back!..andtake off again!..when they do'nt get a decent conversation..

1963, thanks for the reply matey and I do agree the tale sounds a little fantastical - there are quite a few intriguing occupant accounts out there though (link) and as for the Catalina incident, I did find this bit interesting:

That same day at 3:50 p.m., an officer and 12 airmen from an Air Force detachment in nearby Long Beach observe six saucer-shaped objects zooming across the sky. Two hours later, officers at Los Alamitos Naval Air Station report seeing “numerous” objects criss-crossing the sky. At the same time, police stations in Long Beach receive more than 100 calls from residents reporting UFOs.

There's also a good (free) E-book below dealing with some of the witness testimony from the area

UFOs over Topanga Canyon: eyewitness accounts of the California sightings By Preston E. Dennett

24faceb4418c.jpg

For more than 50 years, strange activity has been going on in the sky over Topanga Canyon. But the night of June 14, 1992 marked the beginning of a UFO wave of gigantic proportions. On that evening, more than 17 different witnesses observed numerous strange craft flying through the canyon. The activity would continue for more than two years and involve the entire range of UFO phenomenon including sightings, landings, UFO car chases, face-to-face encounters missing time abductions, government cover-up and more. Today, there are more than one hundred witnesses to the activity.

Link

Cheers.

Hazard, thanks for the reply - as you can see from reading the links and watching the documentary there's been quite a few strange reports - here's another one from 1973:

Santa Catalina UFO -December,1973.

69539b6a067f.jpg

..The two witnesses took turns studying the light through a 16-power Navy spyglass, which they were able to steady on a ledge at Klinn's residence. As seen through the telescope, the "blob" resolved into a precise arrangement of round, yellow-gold lights. Though the entire mass appeared larger than Venus with the naked eye, through the 'scope the lights encompassed an area of approximately three (3) millimeters.

They were arranged in a vertical column bisecting a horizontal column of equal length. Additional columns of light appeared and arranged themselves into a nearly perfect light-studded triangle. The witnesses adjusted the telescope, and when Klinn again looked through it about three minutes later, the complex of lights had assumed the shape of a huge, cigar-shaped "machine." Its edges were clearcut against the sky. Along its side was a horizontal row of about five huge, fiery round lights along the length of the object. These lights were very much larger and brighter than the ones observed earlier; in fact, the entire object had expanded in size at least twenty times.

Each light held tremendous activity within it, "as if looking inside a boiling steel furnace, and even more so". Their primary color was yellow, but many other colors were visible in their teeming mass. As the witnesses watched astounded, the first light ballooned up "like a critical explosion" and smashed through the light directly to its right. That one in turn seemed to flare up, as did each in the entire row, as the first fireball traversed the entire row. At the extreme right, the fiery,explosive light paused and pulsated about twice per second; then the smashing reaction returned along the row of lights from right to left. The entire trip back and forth took an estimated thirteen (13) seconds.As this was happening, a fin-shaped appendage with a vertical row of smaller yellow lights was moving back and forth along the top of the cigar-shaped object "in a very mechanical way"..

Link

Cheers.

Well, we'd better stop before getting accused of hijacking the thread ;)

Badeskov, I'm sure noone would ever accuse you of that. :)

There is this clip from Arthur C. Clarke's "Mysterious World" programme which shows analysis of this footage and concludes it was an aeroplane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoaDviztf0E

Cheers.