Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

Still Waters

Spooky sightings of ghouls, ghosts and evil spirits are higher than they have been in the past 25 years, according to a new report on haunted Britain.

There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation's most ghostly county.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

The research was led by the UKs leading authority on the unexplained Lionel Fanthorpe who studied various archives and websites as well as his own reports to identify all sightings and recordings of supernatural beings with satanic qualities.

The study found that despite being in time of accelerating technology, 21st century Britons have not turned their back on ghouls, boggarts, hell-hounds, witches, wizards, banshees and black magic curses, with a whopping 968 reports of demonic activity in the past 25 years.

The report indentifies Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus (male and female demons that make sexual attacks on sleeping victims), instances of demonic possession and sightings of hell hounds, water demons and demons with repulsive forms such as ghouls and werewolves.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pauly Dangerously

• herenow

• Shadow_of_Man

• scepticalbeliever

I blame television and the movies.

I blame television and the movies.

I agree, it's probably due to the recent interest in ghost hunting and such. :yes:

That and the economy, causing a whole lot more to be at home with no jobs and loads of spare time to sit around and wonder about spooks and wee ghosties :ph34r:

Maybe folks are just more interested in the subjects and are actively going out looking for them. Regardless who or what has caused the increase in awareness, sure beats sitting home and doing nothing.

Sightings are absolutely no indicator of greater activity. The last time I saw anything I could relate as supernatural (a ghost) was when I was three. Yet, I could spin a good tale about how one walked across my room last night and it would be taken as a sighting even when it is a bold-faced lie. This isn't even to mention other reports by honest people who were mistaken in what they are seeing.

Sightings mean nothing in the end of things.

Sightings are absolutely no indicator of greater activity. The last time I saw anything I could relate as supernatural (a ghost) was when I was three. Yet, I could spin a good tale about how one walked across my room last night and it would be taken as a sighting even when it is a bold-faced lie. This isn't even to mention other reports by honest people who were mistaken in what they are seeing.

Sightings mean nothing in the end of things.

Might be greater activity by those sighting them. I resent my sightings being questioned, even compared to lies and I seldom make mistakes. So go back to counting beans or whatever you do to pass the time by thinking of ways to be nasty to people. :angry2: Your entire point is laughable.

Edited by Graveyard Hound

Might be greater activity by those sighting them. I resent my sightings being questioned, even compared to lies and I seldom make mistakes. So go back to counting beans or whatever you do to pass the time by thinking of ways to be nasty to people. :angry2:

So it's nasty to tell the truth that sightings alone are evidence of exactly jack ****?

Sightings are only a clue to spots to gather real evidence, not evidence in and of themselves. Those that deny this fact are simply deluding themselves and doing nothing but damaging the possibility of real investigation into the subject.

GH,

Don't take things so personally. It's a valid opinion and point. It may not be accurate in your case, and that's fine.

Rhomphaia,

Very good point you made.

Someone left the containment unit open...call the Ghostbusters.

So it's nasty to tell the truth that sightings alone are evidence of exactly jack ****?

Sightings are only a clue to spots to gather real evidence, not evidence in and of themselves. Those that deny this fact are simply deluding themselves and doing nothing but damaging the possibility of real investigation into the subject.

Do you consider this real evidence?

There's a spot in the woods which I've hiked for almost 20 years and have consistently felt a strong vibe.

It is on a random section of trail amidst 5 miles of trails in a 200+ acre forest.

One day I examined a particular tree in this section of woods and found someone had placed a small clay amulet on the back of the tree.

Now isn't this odd - a random tree in the middle of the woods and 2 people being pulled to it?

I once saw what seems to be a shadow person at this tree. I had never heard of a shadow person, but after finding the amulet I started doing a lot of research and this thing - which was there for about 15 seconds - was very real.

There's a spot in the woods which I've hiked for almost 20 years and have consistently felt a strong vibe.

It is on a random section of trail amidst 5 miles of trails in a 200+ acre forest.

One day I examined a particular tree in this section of woods and found someone had placed a small clay amulet on the back of the tree.

Now isn't this odd - a random tree in the middle of the woods and 2 people being pulled to it?

I once saw what seems to be a shadow person at this tree. I had never heard of a shadow person, but after finding the amulet I started doing a lot of research and this thing - which was there for about 15 seconds - was very real.

That is only evidentiary in the loosest sense. That's an anecdote. It's only evidence of the situation as you understood it to be. It doesn't make your initial prejudices nor your later conclusions correct, just similar to other anecdotes you have heard (either before or since). What someone wants when talking about evidence is a reasonable amount of time spent trying to deduce what took place, and enough support to concede that what is being presented has validity. What you are saying is "I thought I saw a shadow and other people did too and they called it _______, so that must have been what I saw too." This isn't evidence of anything. It's just a recounting of what you believe to have taken place. Evidence would be something tangible that someone could look too, duplicate, touch, see, recreate or even predict. It was a random happening, that while a pivotal point in your life, hold nothing other than curiosity and morbid interest in the minds of others. I understand that it was very real to you, and no one can say that it didn't happen, but what people sometimes are looking for is something other than a story. Just the same, thank you for sharing your story here.

That is only evidentiary in the loosest sense. That's an anecdote. It's only evidence of the situation as you understood it to be. It doesn't make your initial prejudices nor your later conclusions correct, just similar to other anecdotes you have heard (either before or since). What someone wants when talking about evidence is a reasonable amount of time spent trying to deduce what took place, and enough support to concede that what is being presented has validity. What you are saying is "I thought I saw a shadow and other people did too and they called it _______, so that must have been what I saw too." This isn't evidence of anything. It's just a recounting of what you believe to have taken place. Evidence would be something tangible that someone could look too, duplicate, touch, see, recreate or even predict. It was a random happening, that while a pivotal point in your life, hold nothing other than curiosity and morbid interest in the minds of others. I understand that it was very real to you, and no one can say that it didn't happen, but what people sometimes are looking for is something other than a story. Just the same, thank you for sharing your story here.

Thank you for your input, Irascible,

This has been about a 5 month thing.

I understand what you're saying about 'feeling a vibe' as being completely subjective.

But how would you explain the fact that I have physical evidence that a person unknown to me has also been drawn to this random tree in the woods?

There is nothing interesting about this tree, but finding the clay amulet has confirmed my initial prejudices in a way which has overwhelmed me.

I left a note at this tree, and months later received a response in the form of another amulet, which I have taken

from the site.

Again, this is a random tree on a random trail and cannot be seen while casually hiking.

They must be getting agitated because 2012 is approaching and they know they're going to be crowded for space when nabiru whistles by.

Tv and movies are being given as a reason for this, it's possible. But it's also a fact that people feel more open in talking about their experiences now, because the paranormal isn't regarded so much as a taboo subject.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

^^found that quote interesting though, nothing has changed with that since medieval times and what gets reported across the board is just as interesting as frequency.

This might just be my own opinion but am I the only one thinking that taking stuff from the dead is a bad idea? Sure that little amulet could be a hoax or it could really be from a spiritual entity but as far as I know ghosts aren't ghosts at all really but demons, manifesting them selfs into a familiar form usually in the form of dead loved ones. What I am trying to say is that you should think twice before taking something you have little knowledge about it could cause something that isn't gonna be very good I asume. As for the "vibe" you felt it could be few things one of those that you maybe felt the presence of the demon or entity, either that or it was all in your head but considering you saw a "shadow" figure in the tree I doubt it could have been in your head.

Tv and movies are being given as a reason for this, it's possible. But it's also a fact that people feel more open in talking about their experiences now, because the paranormal isn't regarded so much as a taboo subject.

I wouldnt really say the paranormal was ever really taboo. Id imagine you would more often than not get the same reaction to reporting a ghost today as you would have say 10 or 20 years ago, mild disbelief.

I think the main difference is if you were interested in the subject before you had to go and actively seek out your information via books, research or a library. Now with the internet at your beck and call the same information is at your fingertips. Not to mention the myriad shows like Ghost hunters, Ghost Adventures, Most Haunted etc have sensationalised ghosts to such an extent that they are seeming to come across paranormal activity in every episode and broadcasting it weekly to a huge audience. Id wager personally that leads the more impressionable viewers of those shows to be more likely to report a ghost than ever before.

Ever read the texts people send in when Most Haunted does a live special for example? Its verging on the ridiculous, the internet cameras seem to be packed with shadow people, full body apparitions and demons yet whenever they put them on screen its just empty corridors and rooms.

It's still anecdotal and as evidence, doesn't mean a thing. This is not a court of law, eyewitness testimony is not evidence.

However, like I said before, eyewitness reports do give a starting point for investigation. In fact, eyewitness reports are probably the most important tool in determining where likely places may be to start gathering actual evidence.

It's still anecdotal and as evidence, doesn't mean a thing. This is not a court of law, eyewitness testimony is not evidence.

However, like I said before, eyewitness reports do give a starting point for investigation. In fact, eyewitness reports are probably the most important tool in determining where likely places may be to start gathering actual evidence.

I've been researching this area at the local historical society, the Registry of Deeds and elsewhere trying to find the history of this section of woods. I guess you could say I am investigating, but I am very new to this paranormal gig. I had real no interest in it until I found the amulet which confirmed the odd things I saw and felt at this tree.

I left a note with a pencil and paper hidden with the amulet and for a couple months there was no reply. But a couple weeks ago the person who left the amulet opened the baggie with my note, did NOT reply in writing to the note, but they left another amulet.

If I could get this person to contact me I'd ask them why they were drawn to this tree as I have been.

Probably because it's a place that they like to hide? Maybe they make these amulet things or it could also be that it's just a piece of clay they molded and then you turn around and now it's a bait and laugh kind of instance. The strong 'vibe' feeling that your getting is probably anticipation from what I've read.

^^found that quote interesting though, nothing has changed with that since medieval times and what gets reported across the board is just as interesting as frequency.

I agree SupeRgirl. People have been having experiences with the paranormal for hundreds of years and none have been able to offer proof. I personally don't think everyone of them had some kind of brain dysfunction. People are just finding it easier now to say, wow, something unusual just happened to me without being ridiculed. It's possible there has been an increase in activity, only because people are more open to sharing their experience and more people are listening without assuming they're nuts.

Probably because it's a place that they like to hide? Maybe they make these amulet things or it could also be that it's just a piece of clay they molded and then you turn around and now it's a bait and laugh kind of instance. The strong 'vibe' feeling that your getting is probably anticipation from what I've read.

I've felt vibes from this section of woods for well over a decade.

It was only this past December that I stopped and examined this tree and found the amulet.

From: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mental-illness/DS01104/DSECTION=risk%2Dfactors

"Mental illness is common worldwide. In the United States, about one in four adults has a mental illness in any given year. And nearly half of them have more than one mental illness at the same time. Mental illness can begin at almost any age, from childhood through later adult years."

There are > 230M Americans. 57M of them suffer from some form of mental illness. I find it far more likely that someone saw something that wasn't there than they saw something that is the non-corporeal thoughtform of a once living person. Or a melevolent being that comes from some mystical realm of pain and torment to cause more pain and torment to humans. Just my opinion of course.

It is really hard to determine whether sightings are up or not because the main fact here is being ignored. The amount being witnessed and the amount being reported. Today there is less embarrassment and ridicule for reporting such sightings and people are finding comfort with the large amount of interest in the subject today to report there experiences. It is difficult to make such a determination anyway, for people in the past didn't know where to report such incidents if they were brave enough to do so.

I for one believe that sightings will increase, as well as hostile encounters as we go through this period of time called "The Cleansing" by many Native American tribes before the coming of the "New Age" (don't confuse that with the metaphysical New Agers) as prophesized by many. These "Cleansing" cycles are periods of rebalancing for the Earth where we will experience earth changes both physical and spiritual.