Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Noah's Ark' remains discovered 12,000ft up a

Still Waters

A group of explorers claim to have found the remains of Noah's Ark.

The discovery was made 12,000ft up a Turkish mountain and comes 4,800 years after the vessel was said to be afloat.

The Chinese and Turkish evangelicals said specimen samples taken from the structure on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey underwent carbon testing, which linked them to the time period.

The team made the announcement of their find yesterday - the same day the Bible says the flood waters abated and the ark came to rest.

Yeung Wing-cheung, a Hong Kong documentary filmmaker and member of the 15-strong team from Noah's Ark Ministries International, said: 'It's not 100 per cent that it is Noah's Ark but we think it is 99.9 per cent that this is it.'

He said the structure had several compartments, some with wooden beams, which were believed to house animals.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• voiceofreason

• Professor Buzzkill

• Astute One

• Watchers

The Chinese and Turkish evangelicals said specimen samples taken from the structure on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey underwent carbon testing, which linked them to the time period.

Anyone else see the irony in this statement?

Anyone else see the irony in this statement?

Irony? No, not all.

The sense of irony was lost the first few times they found Noah's Ark. He must've had a fleet of them.

When I was a child, my parents took me to a presentation by James Irwin, Astronaut of Apollo 15, on his multiple searches for Noah's Ark. One of the main hang ups, he said, was trying to get approval from the Turkish Government to look in the first place. Now a Turkish and Chinese group found it?

It would be a fascinating find if it is true, but this comes off more like, 'Look. We found it. Now, go away.'

I love that one of the rooms still has straw in it!!!

That 5,000 year old straw does look amazing! Almost like it was put there yesterday!! God is so amazing!

Irony? No, not all.

Really? The fact the article says they used carbon dating on the wood doesn't tickle your irony bone? :P

The sense of irony was lost the first few times they found Noah's Ark. He must've had a fleet of them.

I know. When I saw the title, the first thing I thought was, "What, again?"

Edited by Squidlet

So is there any non-biblical reason for a large boat to be 12,000 feet above sea level?

So is there any non-biblical reason for a large boat to be 12,000 feet above sea level?

The only reason I could think of for a boat there would be "ARK."

Where is the proof it is a boat? Looks like a barn. I wonder what all they found? It is intrigueing to say the least.

Edited by Astute One

The two things that scream fake with this "discovery" (bear in mind this site was found roughly 20 years ago) is the hilarious straw still left in the animal holds, and the fact that there is no picture of the ark from the outside. The reasoning behind this is that they don't want to give their location away -- how convenient.

What is the motivation behind this? This discovery, even if it is the actual ark used by Noah will not convert any non believers and will not really matter to non-evangelical Christians, Jews or Muslims because they believe anyway - they don't need physical "proof" and don't feel the need to convert the "heathens" via relics like this one, potentially.

Really? The fact the article says they used carbon dating on the wood doesn't tickle your irony bone? :P

I know. When I saw the title, the first thing I thought was, "What, again?"

My irony sensor was burnt out, I'm waiting for a replacement.

I'm using this for the time being:

BS-meter.gif

When I was a child, my parents took me to a presentation by James Irwin, Astronaut of Apollo 15, on his multiple searches for Noah's Ark. One of the main hang ups, he said, was trying to get approval from the Turkish Government to look in the first place. Now a Turkish and Chinese group found it?

It would be a fascinating find if it is true, but this comes off more like, 'Look. We found it. Now, go away.'

that struck me too... I had understood that no one was allowed to look on Mt. Ararat because the whole area was a military zone.

So who gave these guys permission? The Turkish government hasn't given anyone (Turkish or not) permission that I know of.

that struck me too... I had understood that no one was allowed to look on Mt. Ararat because the whole area was a military zone.

So who gave these guys permission? The Turkish government hasn't given anyone (Turkish or not) permission that I know of.

The turkish gov't has given permission to various groups over time, theyve also closed it at will cancelling peoples expeditions etc.

That 5,000 year old straw does look amazing! Almost like it was put there yesterday!! God is so amazing!

:D I blew tea out of my nose on that one.

Non-Biblical? There are supposed to be 500 flood legends around the world, and the basic story of Noah predates the Babylonians... so as an event, it could have happened... Perhaps a survival story (or many separate stories) of the end of the last Ice Age.

Here's a list:

http://www.nwcreation.net/noahlegends.html

The only reason I could think of for a boat there would be "ARK."

Where is the proof it is a boat? Looks like a barn. I wonder what all they found? It is intrigueing to say the least.

It actually looks like a mineshaft.

Given that these are evangelical archaeologists, I'd take everything with a heavy dose of skepticism, not least the claim that its been carbon dated.

Carbon dating should be done by several separate labs to get a better fix on the dating, but they haven't even stated where their one dating experiment was done.

Highly suspect.

:D I blew tea out of my nose on that one.

It was a good un.

Non-Biblical? There are supposed to be 500 flood legends around the world, and the basic story of Noah predates the Babylonians... so as an event, it could have happened... Perhaps a survival story (or many separate stories) of the end of the last Ice Age.

This is probably exactly what it is. The earliest settlements at the end of the Ice Age were coastal, when the ice melted further the coastal areas were flooded. This would have happened for every culture.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in mythology to explain the common threads, but I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about it.

According to the article, the wood was jointed using tennons, proving that the structure predates nails. The article then goes on to state that they found staircases and nails. What is it to be? Predating nails or post nails. As already posted by some here, there are no outside shots. The evidence here is sketchy at best.

If this is true than it is 100% true that God exists! It was always true that He exists but now I can go and say to scientists who deny God that I have proof so where is yours :P

If this is true than it is 100% true that God exists! It was always true that He exists but now I can go and say to scientists who deny God that I have proof so where is yours :P

notsure-1.jpg

But just in case you are...

Doesn't provide evidence for god/s. Just an old boat.

Possibly.

I agree with Emma - looks like a mine.

Nibs

So they find a ship in a mountain and it can only be the "Ark"?

Come on...

If religion is based on "faith" then why do people search so hard to find "proof"?

Also,

"The team said the wood appeared to be cypress although, according to the Bible, the ark was built from gopher. "

Last time I checked, "gopher" is an unknown type of wood, lost in translation. So I guess these guys know it all...

Edited by RedOctober

If religion is based on "faith" then why do people search so hard to find "proof"?

Because many requires to see before they believe. While it would be extraordinary if this find is in fact Noah's Ark, but the article is plagued with suspicions.

Because many requires to see before they believe. While it would be extraordinary if this find is in fact Noah's Ark, but the article is plagued with suspicions.

If you need evidence to believe, then its called "science".

I find it hilarious that it's Christian scientists - no other scientist would waste their time or money in chasing storybook fables. Besides, I agree, why hide it? Wouldn't such a claim go a long way to prove the fable to be true. They (Christians) always have gone a long way to prove their fables with only vague samples of "proof" - I guess when you base your beliefs on faith alone, you can believe almost anything.

According to the article, the wood was jointed using tennons, proving that the structure predates nails. The article then goes on to state that they found staircases and nails. What is it to be? Predating nails or post nails. As already posted by some here, there are no outside shots. The evidence here is sketchy at best.

Assuming that that is what we would call Noahs Ark, there is no way to say it would or would not pre-date nails since the technology from the civilization which made the ark was destroyed in the flood.