Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man claims he ate, drank nothing for 70 years

psyche101

We cannot comment for or against his claim of remaining without food for several years, says DIPAS director

Doctors from the Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS), which operates under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), and Sterling Hospital held a press conference to mark the end of the observations on 82-year-old Prahalad Jani who claims to have not eaten or drank anything in the last 70 years.

The 15-day observation, which ended on Thursday, has thrown up no specific information which DIPAS is “ready to declare”. But the test results agree with those of a 2003 study on him, said sources.

“During the observation period, Jani did not consume anything and did not pass stool. The only contact with any form of fluid that he had was during gargling and bathing activities during the study,” said DIPAS director Dr Ilavazhagan

“I must once again clarify that we have done the study for 15 days and cannot really comment for or against Jani’s claim of remaining without food or water for several years,” he continued.

Officials and doctors also declined to divulge how much money had been spent on the 15-day observation, which involved at least 29 doctors and 7 support staff.

However, one set (MRI tests) of the 6 different sets of testing came at a price tag of Rs 1.25 lakh.

Dr Urman Dhruv, one of the doctors who was part of the observation, said the MRI was “conducted free-of-charge at the Gujarat Radiological Institute”.

Sterling Hospitals CEO Rajiv Sharma said, “There is no budget per se. Sterling Hospitals provided the infrastructure.”

He declined to comment on the expenditure made by the hospital on the test.

SOURCE

To the dislike of most of the posts on this thread, the holy man did it and the team of doctors and scientists have flattered to find out the reason for his extra ordinary achievement. They even failed to guess how is doing this. Though he explained them in his layman terms these doctors failed to make a cent out of it.

Human body need energy for survival, instead of eating and reconverting the food in to energy, he is drawing his energy directly from a storage and he is filling everyday by meditating. There are no tools in modern science to understand this, they have to look back to 6000 year old books written in Hinduism and understand what was written there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HerNibs

• sam12six

• Alien Being

• voiceofreason

Ya well for the record there were a lot of things people thought 'impossible' like going to the moon, having cars that run on oil, having computers (not that long ago), phones in general...lots of things 'deemed' impossible, though they may certainly ALWAYS seem that way...well I wouldn't say anything is impossible, at least probably not forever

I guess it's all debatable and that's what makes life spicy...I wouldn't want life tasting like bland British food constantly :P

Not saying the guy isn't totally bs'ing, but it's always good to just listen and see what ya hear!..or see ect

Edited by puridalan

Lock him in a room with no food, water, or toilet for two weeks; just a TV, some books, a treadmill, and a fine meshed screen to the hallway to talk to people. NO access to other people or the outdoors, leave him nowhere near a sink, etc. Strip him naked and put a fresh experimenter-approved set of clothes on him after he enters the room. See how long he can last then :lol:

Edited by Torgo

Lock him in a room with no food, water, or toilet for two weeks; just a TV, some books, a treadmill, and a fine meshed screen to the hallway to talk to people. NO access to other people or the outdoors, leave him nowhere near a sink, etc. Strip him naked and put a fresh experimenter-approved set of clothes on him after he enters the room. See how long he can last then :lol:

That's sort of what I was mentioning before. The "scientific minds" that "tested" this guy are falling over themselves being amazed that he can go 2 weeks without any water, but they let him take showers?!?

Their goal should have been to see if the guy can literally survive a couple of weeks without water. He should have been allowed to bring nothing with him, have no visitors, a nonpotable chemical bath, and a dry toilet.

Once you've established that he's not just being sneaky about how he's drinking, then you can worry about how this particular human body ignores the rules that govern all the rest.

Well, I realize that given his age (82) this guy isn't going to repeat this amazing feat. I wonder if he would mind doing a favor for humanity by allowing himself to be monitored by scientists for just one more year of not eating & drinking. I realize the fellow is old, but I'm just asking to document 1/70th of the performance he gave in his younger days.

If he can not eat and drink for a year (while being strictly monitored), I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't eat for 70 straight years in the past.

Lock him in a room with no food, water, or toilet for two weeks; just a TV, some books, a treadmill, and a fine meshed screen to the hallway to talk to people. NO access to other people or the outdoors, leave him nowhere near a sink, etc. Strip him naked and put a fresh experimenter-approved set of clothes on him after he enters the room. See how long he can last then laugh.gif

Remind not to cross you Torgo!huh.gif

That's sort of what I was mentioning before. The "scientific minds" that "tested" this guy are falling over themselves being amazed that he can go 2 weeks without any water, but they let him take showers?!?

Their goal should have been to see if the guy can literally survive a couple of weeks without water. He should have been allowed to bring nothing with him, have no visitors, a nonpotable chemical bath, and a dry toilet.

Once you've established that he's not just being sneaky about how he's drinking, then you can worry about how this particular human body ignores the rules that govern all the rest.

It was stated that he was constantly monitored.... That he was allowed to gargle water, and give himself a spit bath every few days. So no they did not allow him to take that hot hour long shower. Plus, he did not go to the toilet at all, which shows that he was not drinking anything. 15 days is quite a long time, on that he should get credit.

It was stated that he was constantly monitored.... That he was allowed to gargle water, and give himself a spit bath every few days. So no they did not allow him to take that hot hour long shower. Plus, he did not go to the toilet at all, which shows that he was not drinking anything. 15 days is quite a long time, on that he should get credit.

I'm not sure what a spit bath is, but it sounds nasty. I give the guy full credit for what he's done (even if what he's done is fool gullible scientists).

Scientists are notorious for not catching frauds. As I mentioned before, their mindset tends to be "How to explain this incredible thing", rather than "How could you fake this incredible thing".

I'm not saying the guy is a fraud. For all I know, he's an alien-built android with the brain of a dead god that's powered by bigfoot blood. What I am saying is that without a strict testing protocol (hire stage magicians and mentalists as consultants to eliminate the possibility of fraud), the observations don't mean anything.

Assuming you can, under strict monitoring - meaning if you're claiming not to drink, you get nothing to gargle and no shower (common sense really), live longer than a human is supposed to be able without negative results, it's definitely worth looking into. You'd next need to find out how a 12 year old just decides he doesn't feel like eating or drinking any more.

As I said before, I don't know for sure, never having heard of anyone going a month without sustenance (much less 70 years). It's just my opinion, but I believe if you locked the guy in a jail cell with the water turned off and allowed him no visitors, when you opened the door after 30 days, you'd just find a stinky corpse. Unless and until someone does a test where he's not allowed water, his claim that he doesn't need it means nothing.

I heard he has gone for 30 days now, monitored constantly. They even measure the amout of water he uses to wash with and what is left over to make sure he isn't drinking any. Wow

I just like how he is a follower of the Hindu Goddess Amba.. its just I like that name. ^_^ It rings a bell and is my favorite time of the day.

Mr Jani, a holy man who follows the Hindu Goddess Amba, claims to survive on an "elixir" fed to him by Amba to give him strength. He has lived in a cave for the past 40 years.

Link

Edited by Kazahel

What do you know they did an update on him. Congratz! But it's not so impossible. I mean if you don't do anything whole day and just meditate than you really need almost no food. Just remember the movie "Little Buddha" when they said how Buddha and his students meditated for months sitting on one place and all they ate was stork's feces that would flew by and similar things.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard he has gone for 30 days now, monitored constantly. They even measure the amout of water he uses to wash with and what is left over to make sure he isn't drinking any. Wow

I wonder if he's still going strong... :unsure2:

Wasn't there a recent story about a cat surviving after getting locked in a freezer for three months? I doubt the cat was any more spiritually enlightened than the rest of us. Still, Prahlad Jani's 15 day trial was impressive, but I think the only thing it really proved is that life is one tough sucker. His last test was a ten day trial in 2003. The outcome... he lost weight. I guess he was practicing over the past seven years.

• 4 months later...
<br />Wasn't there a recent story about a cat surviving after getting locked in a freezer for three months?  I doubt the cat was any more spiritually enlightened than the rest of us.  Still, Prahlad Jani's 15 day trial was impressive, but I think the only thing it really proved is that life is one tough sucker.  His last test was a ten day trial in 2003.  The outcome... he lost weight.  I guess he was practicing over the past seven years.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

also i read somewhere that ghandi drunk his urine everyday so maybe he drinks his for liquid intake for solid intake well...........

but india is a spirit place having been there for 5months and heard similiar stories