Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man who beat his partner and tore her parrot

Still Waters

A THUG who beat his partner and tore her pet parrot apart in front of her has been jailed for 16 months.

Keith Doyle, 34, attacked his girlfriend of seven years before turning his rage on her African grey parrot Jasper, killing it by pouring scalding hot tea over it and ripping out its feathers as it squawked in distress.

All the while their four-year old son cowered in fear upstairs.

Last night the woman's parents, Pat and Cath Regan, spoke out on behalf of their eldest daughter, 23 - who was too traumatised to comment and did not want to be identified.

And the couple slammed the 16-month prison sentence handed to Doyle at Preston Crown Court - of which eight months is on licence.

Mr Regan, of Sandbrook Road, Ainsdale, said: 'With good behaviour, the police have told us that this thug could be out by August.

'He put our daughter through hell and, quite frankly, she is lucky to be alive. He beat her to a pulp and threatened to kill her. How can this be genuine justice for what he did?'

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sp840tril

• Dusk_Nightmare

• TheBloom

• Mistydawn

How can such a violent man serve so little time? I hope this woman will be safe when he's released. Or unfortunately, he'll go off in search of a new victim. Women beware!!

How can such a violent man serve so little time? I hope this woman will be safe when he's released. Or unfortunately, he'll go off in search of a new victim. Women beware!!

people are so evil.

That disgusting..esp how he defeathered a bird. I know that parrots esp when stressed pull out their feathers...and it's very very chronic stress for them to do that. For a man to not just simply kill the bird which is horrible enough but to slowly kill it...that is digusting, animal cruelty cases should be on his butt as well

how can someone who smokes pot get caught serve six months

this man serve merely a little bit more than double of that..for committing a horrid horrid crime

something isn't right, justice has not been served, and then he'll be out and in court again for a worse crime..doesn't seem possible but they always out do themselves, this is when I agree with vigile anti-justice to clean up the scum others seem to let by.

She was probably one of those women who anthropormorphisizes her pet, and this was his way to get back at her.

She was probably one of those women who anthropormorphisizes her pet, and this was his way to get back at her.

You pluck my parrot I'm plucking you?

I can not even imagin what I would do to some one if they hurt my Gray. I'd go to jail longer than they would I'm sure. I love my little Zombia so much. . . This story breaks my heart.

He deserves a lot more for doing that to the parrot.

Funny how no one mentioned the woman being beaten and seeing if she was okay. The animals are not as important as people dammit.

Funny how no one mentioned the woman being beaten and seeing if she was okay. The animals are not as important as people dammit.

I feel deeply sorry for the woman and her family and I do hope she's okay, she didn't deserve any of the beatings she got from that thug.

However, I disagree with the statement that animals are not as important as people. Without animals, we wouldn't even exist. We'd have no meat to eat, where a large population of people would die of malnutrition. There are nutrients that we can only get from animal meat. In fact, animals are MORE important than people. The world wouldn't die without humans, the world would die without animals. We need animals to survive. Animals don't need us.

Animals go extict all the time. The earth gets by, trust me.

Let me put it this way. The woman will eventually get over the trauma of being beaten. Women who are abused physically often prefer physical abuse to emotional abuse because bruises, black eyes and scars heal. Unfortunately, emotional issues, such as seeing a beloved pet brutally killed will never go away. After she deals with the initial shock will come guilt, ( "Why didn't I do something to prevent this," etc.) Also, the parrot isn't going to heal, they parrot is really the one with the problem isn't he? She lived through the ordeal, the bird didn't. She will move on, the bird wont.

Further more, animals are defenseless and really cant do anything but succumb to the tortures of man. So no, I really don't think animals are less important than people.

People deliberately hurt each other all the time, every day. Animals only know instinct. While yes, they hurt each other out of will or need (because of survival) such is not the case with man. Man hurts man because they can, because they like to, and because they are calculated thinkers. Sadly it is this distinction of being intelligent that separates man from beast. But imo the offender in this case was very much an animal, although he was calculated and used his thinking skills to deliberately hurt this bird, and its owner. Therefore, using your logic, should we pour scalding tea over him and rip his hair out? Would that be more appropriate punishment?

Animals go extict all the time. The earth gets by, trust me.

But where would the life be? Plants may not be able to survive without animals either.

My link

I'm not saying that animals arent important on a global scale, but from a human scale we should be more concerned about men who abuse women than men who abuse pets.

I'm not saying that animals arent important on a global scale, but from a human scale we should be more concerned about men who abuse women than men who abuse pets.

But women can fight back, they can call the police, sue and whatnot. An animal cannot.

But women can fight back, they can call the police, sue and whatnot. An animal cannot.

Men who abuse pets are also liable to abuse people. It's not just something that can be ignored because "animals are less important" - animal abuse is a warning sign that should really cause a lot of red flags to go up.

Its amazing how we kill animals for food and shoot them for sport so we can hang their heads in our mansions but as soon as someone touches fido or polly the parrot everyone complains.

Damn...I'm constantly suprised at how lax the UK justice system is. Ours probably isn't much better in the United States, but, it always shocks me to see criminals that commit heinous acts receiving such light sentences. It's BS.

Its amazing how we kill animals for food and shoot them for sport so we can hang their heads in our mansions but as soon as someone touches fido or polly the parrot everyone complains.

People complain about people hunting animals for trophies and animals that we use for food are raised for food. Your argument has no support whatsoever.

People complain about people hunting animals for trophies and animals that we use for food are raised for food. Your argument has no support whatsoever.

What u just wrote made no sense, so much that I can't even reply.

Funny how no one mentioned the woman being beaten and seeing if she was okay.

I agree with this part.

Let me put it this way. The woman will eventually get over the trauma of being beaten. Women who are abused physically often prefer physical abuse to emotional abuse because bruises, black eyes and scars heal. Unfortunately, emotional issues, such as seeing a beloved pet brutally killed will never go away. After she deals with the initial shock will come guilt, ( "Why didn't I do something to prevent this," etc.) Also, the parrot isn't going to heal, they parrot is really the one with the problem isn't he? She lived through the ordeal, the bird didn't. She will move on, the bird wont.

Further more, animals are defenseless and really cant do anything but succumb to the tortures of man. So no, I really don't think animals are less important than people.

People deliberately hurt each other all the time, every day. Animals only know instinct. While yes, they hurt each other out of will or need (because of survival) such is not the case with man. Man hurts man because they can, because they like to, and because they are calculated thinkers. Sadly it is this distinction of being intelligent that separates man from beast. But imo the offender in this case was very much an animal, although he was calculated and used his thinking skills to deliberately hurt this bird, and its owner. Therefore, using your logic, should we pour scalding tea over him and rip his hair out? Would that be more appropriate punishment?

I don't know where you pulled this one out from but I can assure you abused women do NOT 'eventually get over it'. I've been in an abusive relationship in the past and I'm still not over it. Don't think I ever will be. It tears down EVERYTHING you stand for in yourself. Self esteem, happiness, trust, respect for yourself, everything!

To think that this woman can just get over it is ridiculous in my opinion.

While you stated that physical abuse is prefered over emotional abuse in abused women you also forgot to mention that a lot of the time the abuse starts with emotional abuse and grows into physical abuse, breaking down every barrier you thought you had around you.

I know what I've said is quite brash but your statement angered me. You ARE making it sound like the bird is the more important issue, if that's the case I sincerely hope you never suffer an abusive relationship in your life.

Courts and their wonderful workings - ha blinkin ha.

I would love there to be Courts were the decisions are made by the people, for the people and not freaks who know nothing about reality.angry.gif

I don't know where you pulled this one out from but I can assure you abused women do NOT 'eventually get over it'. I've been in an abusive relationship in the past and I'm still not over it. Don't think I ever will be. It tears down EVERYTHING you stand for in yourself. Self esteem, happiness, trust, respect for yourself, everything!

To think that this woman can just get over it is ridiculous in my opinion.

While you stated that physical abuse is prefered over emotional abuse in abused women you also forgot to mention that a lot of the time the abuse starts with emotional abuse and grows into physical abuse, breaking down every barrier you thought you had around you.

I know what I've said is quite brash but your statement angered me. You ARE making it sound like the bird is the more important issue, if that's the case I sincerely hope you never suffer an abusive relationship in your life.

I have to say I agree with you. I think it would be impossible for a physically abused person to NOT have emotional abuse as well. I can't imagine how it would feel to have someone you love and trust turn on you and hurt you.

I don't speak for Stygian Hugh by any means, but possibly she is saying that one heals from a physical attack.

I agree with you on all parts! Im sorry but I value the lives of my kids/gf WAY more than i do ANY animal... I have 2 dogs and a cat, they are all members of the family but our HUMAN members come first... i dont care there has to be a barrior that seperates PET from HUMAN! you dont humanize a dog... I know of a shihtzu that bit my kid for NO REASON! none at all he was petting her and bam he was bit in his chest/shoulder in our own home.. The owner of the dog said she was just jealous. jelous are you serious, dogs get put to sleep every day for crap like that! This is what happens when you value your pets life more than humans... I almost shot that dog with my airsoft gun.

I agree with you, I don't like humanizing animals at all. However, there are plenty of people that love their pets very very much. It's not quite right that anyone should tell them how much they can or cannot love them.

But, I would have to say that only in extreme cases would I put an animal life ahead of a human (and that would have to be like a dog hero vs. a convicted pedophile)....