Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Christian Name

Beckys_Mom

This is going to be a quick question on Christian names

Were I come from, your 1st name is known as your Christian name... then of course you have your surname ( second name..family name)...

We all say it like that over here... I still call my 1st name my christian name...Geri is short for my christian name ...Even though I am no longer Christian...If someone was to ask me my 1st name I would say my christian is Geri...(short for Geraldine)

I was wondering if they do the same in IE - The USA.. Europe and even in Austrailia...etc etc.. Would you call your 1st name your christian name?

This question is aimed at anyone that was ever baptized in a christian church and maybe later changed their religion or even just dropped it.. and may well call it their christian name....just asking...Reason why this just came to me is because I was filling out a new insurance form and on it read --- Christian name__________ & Surname_____________

EDIT - PS...reason as to why I placed this thread here rather than the religious & beliefs board.. is due to so many skeptics tend to post more on this board..and my question is mainly aimed at the skeptics as I am curious as to how they would ref to it, even though now they are skeptics.....and yea also the christians asking if they too call their 1st name their christian name.. because they all might not.. they may just ref to is as their 1st name and leave it at that

Edited by Beckys_Mom

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• MARAB0D

• Sherapy

• Doc Socks Junior

I haven't heard of a reference to a christian name in years. I'm asked for my first name, which is Susan.

In the US I have only heard first name and last name.

I haven't heard of a reference to a christian name in years. I'm asked for my first name, which is Susan.

So they used to ref to it as your christian name then?........ See they still do so over here..I tend to say it a lot....without thinking!! I guess it's just a habit..

I live about an hour or so from NYC and there are alot of people of Irish descent here. This could explain why I've heard the term. I've also heard it refered to as your given name.

Here we only use first and last name. Sometimes forms ask for a middle initial. I rarely hear of it being called a Christian name. I find it odd that a form would state Christian name and Surname (not so much Surname though). What type of insurance form was it? Was it from a specific religious group or something of the sort?

I'm starting a new job on Monday and just got done filling out all my insurance forms.

While I know the term "christian name" I've never heard anyone actually use it or seen it on any forms. I think the only time I've ever seen the term "christian name" is when reading some period piece novel or watching a period piece movie. I always think of that term as being 100 years outdated. LOL.

Mostly in the US (and probably Canada too) we're either asked for our legal name, first name, or given name on very rare occasions. I think I mostly see it as "legal name". The insurance forum I'm filling out right now asks for my "first name, middle initial, last name".

It's pretty rare that I ever see even "surname" anymore. Although I used to. I think it's been replaced by simply "last name".

I always think of that term as being 100 years outdated. LOL.

Dang it... so we Irish are just left in the dark ages LMAO...that's it I am going to practice saying - 1st name...my 1st name is..... and I will lay the emphasis on the word FIRST...LOL...tongue.gif

I'm starting a new job on Monday and just got done filling out all my insurance forms.

Well alow me to offer you a big fat - CONGRATS..on your new job Nik..hope all goes well

Edited by Beckys_Mom

they say first/middle/last name?

Havent been asked my 'christian' name ever and I am 46 yrs old.

Heh, when I saw the title the thought of 'oh I am not christian' popped in my head, or I would have thought.. catholic.. baptist et et as christian name, meaning.. denomination.

So my FIRST name is Joan. (I really would never consider it my christian name)

Here we only use first and last name. Sometimes forms ask for a middle initial. I rarely hear of it being called a Christian name. I find it odd that a form would state Christian name and Surname (not so much Surname though). What type of insurance form was it? Was it from a specific religious group or something of the sort?

Home contents insurance....

Not all forms you get to fill in over here will say it.. a lot will just read - 1st Name______.....and...Surname______ ... then go on to ask you nosey questions that a police man wouldn't ask LOL

Ironically when I was filling out the forms for Becky to join her new school.. its's a christian school...(Seagoe Primary School...part of the Seagoe christian cummunity ...Seagoe christian church and Seagoe christian church lads and girls birgade)... it read - 1st Name of child__________... Middle Name of child______ Surname_______

I live about an hour or so from NYC and there are alot of people of Irish descent here. This could explain why I've heard the term. I've also heard it refered to as your given name.

AHA well then.. that figures LOL the Irish over there are to blame ha ha ...well for all I know it could have just been the Irish that started that christian name carry on lol

Here in Australia filling in forms for different organisations could go different ways. Some ask for your "first" name, others ask for your "given" name, and others ask for your "Christian" name. Below are links to document-forms illustrating each.

Pick your choice, ;)

Karlis

First Name see the form here

Given name see the form here

Christian Name(s) See the form here

The Uni where I work had to pulp all of its application forms about a year ago because they asked for "Christian name"; they now ask for "forename" instead.

Actually it's called a given name and surname. I've actually never heard of it being called a Christian name.

I guess it given Name, and Surname

Mine is actually first name the origins are Hebrew Sarah, and My last name origins are Scottish last name Johnson. However much of the name could have came from Ireland

I am a mixed bread of Irish, Scottish, German, and Lebanese.

Edited by Ryinrea

Kevin is my name & it's orgins are Irish & Gaelic it mean's handsome & beloved.. I highly expect the women here to remember that IF I ever become single!

:P

Kevin is my name & it's orgins are Irish & Gaelic it mean's handsome & beloved.. I highly expect the women here to remember that IF I ever become single!

tongue.gif

I remember a guy I met at a night club...his name was Kevin.....and when I look back at it now.. I think if the name Kevin really means - Handsome....... then this guys mom must have been taken the p*ss lol... for I recall when I had sobered up ohhhhh my he was just brutal...so ugly that when he cried the tears ran down his back lol.......Beer googles are a bloody nuisance!!!!wacko.gif

Not saying all guys called Kevin are like that lol... it was just him

PS the Irish have a Gaelic name for Kevin....I am nearly sure they do...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Here in Australia filling in forms for different organisations could go different ways. Some ask for your "first" name, others ask for your "given" name, and others ask for your "Christian" name. Below are links to document-forms illustrating each.

Pick your choice, wink2.gif

Karlis

First Name see the form here

Given name see the form here

Christian Name(s) See the form here

Ah so in the land of OZ, some will ask for your christian name....just like they do over here

I have never seen a forum with - Given name lol.....I think if I seen one and was filling it in I would look at it almost as if it was asking me for the names others give me LMAO in that case, id take some time to fill that part out... I'd need a seperate sheet or two for itw00t.gif

The only time I've ever heard it called your Christian name is in books or movies. Even my ancient birth certificate scroll says 1st name, middlename and last name. :P

The only time I've ever heard it called your Christian name is in books or movies. Even my ancient birth certificate scroll says 1st name, middlename and last name. tongue.gif

laugh.gif @ my ancient birth certificate lol.. you are nuts woman..

So you were baptized in a church..and yet they never called it your christian name? ...wow I guess I will find that strange as it is the norm over here...my birth certificate reads - Christian name...

I must take a gawk at Beckys birth certificate.. and see if hers has that one it...maybe they have stopped it and it might read - Childs name_____

Can't recall...actually I have no idea what I have done with her birth certificate.. its in this house somewhere!! LOL

Edited by Beckys_Mom

So you were baptized in a church..and yet they never called it your christian name? ...wow I guess I will find that strange as it is the norm over here...my birth certificate reads - Christian name...

Nope...my parents were members so as the kids were born everything just said 'children's names'. I quit going when I was about twelve and I don't remember anything that specified 1st, last or anything.

Nope...my parents were members so as the kids were born everything just said 'children's names'. I quit going when I was about twelve and I don't remember anything that specified 1st, last or anything.

I guess over here it just seem to stick....I find myself saying it without thinking..it's a habit...

"Christian name" is still used sometimes in Australia and NZ - but not on the official government forms. I think it was removed comparatively recently from them, just not to create confusing situations when someone has to write Abdulla or Tuamo as a Christian name. But in various private questionnaire forms one can still meet it. I personally do not care too much of how some call the first name, I mean I do not see any insult in this.

", I mean I do not see any insult in this.

Where did this idea spring from?huh.gif

I call it a name my parents decided to give me because it was pretty. When really... I would rather just be called Coug... and thanks to Tiggs, Scoug.

But yeah, being irish, I knew about the whole "christian" name. Through back I guess from when paganism was still huge and when people converted from that to christianity they got a new name. (which probaly was already mentioned somewhere in this thread. =P)