Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real Jedi

sithninja

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eqgumby

• sithninja

• Neognosis

• Agent. Mulder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why do skeptics have to bash everything i post? :angry:

In all seriousness, my opinion is that you meet resistance because you are taking such seriousness and deep belief in a religion based in/on a fictional movie. "The Force" is a part of a work of fiction, and not something that will really allow you to heft a ship out of a swamp. Nor will it help you change a tire sans a jack or spin a paper pinwheel.

If I were to design a religion based on "Toy Story" or "Finding Nemo" I would likely meet similar ridicule. No matter how much I may personally believe in the religious message I get from "ToyStoryism", or "Nemoism" they are going to look at me oddly for putting that much effort and faith into a work of fiction.

George Lucas worked with Jospeh Campbell to come up with the basis for what the jedis were going to look and act like. Check out "The power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell, and you will see what inspired and helped lucas create what he did. It is all real world stuff, and will be something that you can understand and follow while not being made fun of.

The line between reality and fiction is not a thin one; it is plain and obvious. When you begin to mix up the two; ridicule will follow.

Thanks Nibs! :tu:

yeah, dont put any faith in the psi wheel. its been shown with science already how it works.

ok, with the psi wheel thing, it looks like any stray breeze or breath would move it even if you couldn't feel the breeze yourself, it's just foil.

well, here, check this:

with darren brown. sooo, no jedi here i presume.

ok, with the psi wheel thing, it looks like any stray breeze or breath would move it even if you couldn't feel the breeze yourself, it's just foil.

Oh, any stray breeze, breath, heat or cold, sunlight hitting it and warming one side, etc. will all move it.

I've yet to see it put to any kind of valid test.

Nibs

FluffyBunny - tell us more about this Nemoism. :P

Nibs

Where does the light sabre come in to play?

This is not the thread looking for you are.

smiley-vault-star-wars-025.gif

If I were to design a religion based on "Toy Story" or "Finding Nemo"...

Then you could retire :).

I want to put in a word clarifying something about Joseph Campbell.

George Lucas worked with Jospeh Campbell to come up with the basis for what the jedis were going to look and act like.

Not quite. Like so many other people, Lucas had read Hero with a Thousand Faces. And like so many writers, Lucas saw in the "monomyth" a "formula" for writing a story that grabs the audience where they live. Unlike a lot of other writers, Lucas could actually pull it off.

Campbell and Lucas' personal association came after Lucas had already launched the franchise.

http://www.folkstory.com/campbell/scholars_life.html

I think it is worth saying all of that, because if Campbell had invented a religion, even as a fictional "prop," then it surely would not have been ... <hmm, mindful of the OP's religious sensibilities> ... well, communicants wouldn't have dreamt of staring at pinwheels.

But Campbell didn't invent the religion of the Jedi. It was Lucas who sketched the religion that is part of his tale, using the facts about hero mythology which Campbell had organized and analyzed. For which, Lucas paid his $ 19.95, just like everybody else.

I do not doubt that Campbell sincerely liked what Lucas had done. But Campbell was a tad deeper than "Use the force, Luke."

Speaking of which, and while we're assigning credit, Campbell acknowledged his own debt for the concept of the monomyth to James Joyce, the great Irish novelist. Finnegan's Wake was much more Campbell's style than Revenge of the Sith.

This is not the thread looking for you are.

Lmao.

Do you believe you have little creatures, the Midi-chlorians, living in your body?

Do you believe you have little creatures, the Midi-chlorians, living in your body?

No, but I have a bad case of kooties!

smiley-vault-misc-114.gif

im not baseing it on the fictional jedi i believe in kinesis that is what i call the force i just use a different name and the jedi code wich is :There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

and i also follow

. As Jedi, we are in touch with the Living Force flowing through and around us, as well as being spiritually aware of the Force. Jedi are trained to become sensitive to the Force's energy, fluctuations, and disturbances.

2. Jedi live and focus on the present; we must neither dwell on the past nor be overly concerned about the future. As the mind wanders, focusing on the present is a task not easily attained, for the mind is not content with the eternal present moment. As Jedi, we must release our stress and ease our minds.

3. Jedi must maintain a clear mind; this is achieved through meditation and contemplation. Our minds can become cluttered and infected by forces and attitudes that we encounter every day, and must be purged of these unnecessary elements on a daily basis.

4. As Jedi, we are mindful of our thoughts... we focus our thoughts on the positive. The positive energy of the force is healthy for the mind, body and spirit.

5. As Jedi, we trust and use our feelings. We are intuitive, more so than others and with this heightened intuition we become more spiritually evolved as our minds become more harmonious with the Force and its influences.

6. Jedi are patient. Patience is elusive but can be consciously developed over time.

7. Jedi are mindful of the negative emotions which lead to the Dark Side: Anger, Fear, Aggression, and Hate. If we sense these emotions manifesting within ourselves, we must meditate on the Jedi Code and focus on purging these destructive emotions.

8. Jedi understand that physical training is as important as training the mind and the spirit. We understand that all aspects of training are necessary to maintain the Jedi way of life and to perform the duties of a Jedi.

9. Jedi protect the peace. We are warriors of peace, and are not ones to use force to resolve a conflict; it is through peace, understanding and harmony that conflicts resolve.

10. Jedi believe in destiny and trust in the will of the Living Force. We accept the fact that what seems to be random events are not random at all, but the design of the Living Force of Creation. Each living creature has a purpose, understanding that purpose comes with a deep awareness of the Force. Even things that happen which seem negative have a purpose, though that purpose is not easy to see.

11. Jedi must let go of obsessive attachment, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions creates the fear of loosing those possessions, which can lead to the Dark Side.

12. Jedi believe in eternal life. We do not become obsessed in mourning those who pass. Grieve as you will but take heart, for the soul and spirit continue in the netherworld of the Living Force.

13. Jedi use the Force only when it is necessary. We do not apply our abilities or powers to boast or be prideful. We use the Force for knowledge, and exercise wisdom and humility in doing so, for humility is a trait all Jedi must embody.

14. We as Jedi believe that love and compassion are central to our lives. We must love each other as we love ourselves; by doing this, we envelope all life in the positive energy of the Force.

15. Jedi are guardians of peace and justice. We believe in finding peaceful solutions to problems, gifted as we are we remain negotiators of the utmost ability. We never negotiate out of fear, but never fear to negotiate. We embrace justice, protecting and preserving the fundamental rights of all living creatures. Empathy and compassion are vital to us; it allows us to comprehend the wounds caused by injustice.

16. We as Jedi make a commitment to, and are loyal to the Jedi cause. The ideals, philosophies, and practices of the Jedi define the belief of Jediism, and we take action on this path for self-improvement, and to help others. We are both the witnesses and protectors of the Jedi way by the practice of our Faith.

im not baseing it on the fictional jedi i believe in kinesis that is what i call the force i just use a different name and the jedi code wich is :There is no emotion, there is peace.

and i also follow

. As Jedi, we are in touch with the Living Force flowing through and around us, as well as being spiritually aware of the Force. Jedi are trained to become sensitive to the Force's energy, fluctuations, and disturbances.

2. Jedi live and focus on the present; we must neither dwell on the past nor be overly concerned about the future. As the mind wanders, focusing on the present is a task not easily attained, for the mind is not content with the eternal present moment. As Jedi, we must release our stress and ease our minds.

3. Jedi must maintain a clear mind; this is achieved through meditation and contemplation. Our minds can become cluttered and infected by forces and attitudes that we encounter every day, and must be purged of these unnecessary elements on a daily basis.

4. As Jedi, we are mindful of our thoughts... we focus our thoughts on the positive. The positive energy of the force is healthy for the mind, body and spirit.

5. As Jedi, we trust and use our feelings. We are intuitive, more so than others and with this heightened intuition we become more spiritually evolved as our minds become more harmonious with the Force and its influences.

6. Jedi are patient. Patience is elusive but can be consciously developed over time.

7. Jedi are mindful of the negative emotions which lead to the Dark Side: Anger, Fear, Aggression, and Hate. If we sense these emotions manifesting within ourselves, we must meditate on the Jedi Code and focus on purging these destructive emotions.

8. Jedi understand that physical training is as important as training the mind and the spirit. We understand that all aspects of training are necessary to maintain the Jedi way of life and to perform the duties of a Jedi.

9. Jedi protect the peace. We are warriors of peace, and are not ones to use force to resolve a conflict; it is through peace, understanding and harmony that conflicts resolve.

10. Jedi believe in destiny and trust in the will of the Living Force. We accept the fact that what seems to be random events are not random at all, but the design of the Living Force of Creation. Each living creature has a purpose, understanding that purpose comes with a deep awareness of the Force. Even things that happen which seem negative have a purpose, though that purpose is not easy to see.

11. Jedi must let go of obsessive attachment, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions creates the fear of loosing those possessions, which can lead to the Dark Side.

12. Jedi believe in eternal life. We do not become obsessed in mourning those who pass. Grieve as you will but take heart, for the soul and spirit continue in the netherworld of the Living Force.

13. Jedi use the Force only when it is necessary. We do not apply our abilities or powers to boast or be prideful. We use the Force for knowledge, and exercise wisdom and humility in doing so, for humility is a trait all Jedi must embody.

14. We as Jedi believe that love and compassion are central to our lives. We must love each other as we love ourselves; by doing this, we envelope all life in the positive energy of the Force.

15. Jedi are guardians of peace and justice. We believe in finding peaceful solutions to problems, gifted as we are we remain negotiators of the utmost ability. We never negotiate out of fear, but never fear to negotiate. We embrace justice, protecting and preserving the fundamental rights of all living creatures. Empathy and compassion are vital to us; it allows us to comprehend the wounds caused by injustice.

16. We as Jedi make a commitment to, and are loyal to the Jedi cause. The ideals, philosophies, and practices of the Jedi define the belief of Jediism, and we take action on this path for self-improvement, and to help others. We are both the witnesses and protectors of the Jedi way by the practice of our Faith.

Ok and where did that code come from?? Who wrote it? Where did YOU learn it?

Nibs

Jedi also have to be virgins. Good luck with that.

and i also follow

Actually you are basing it on fiction. The code you are quoting is a piece of fiction that you follow. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

The rest of your post is generally taken from the mind of George Lucas and those that have followed and expanded that work.

As far as your experiment. Put one of the wheels in a Plexiglas case sealed on all sides. Have it sit out of direct sunlight and have someone take a video of your attempt to make it move.

It's funny how just adding the moniker 'religion' to anything somehow makes it a sacred no fly zone.

I don't HAVE to respect any ones beliefs. An argument can be made to say that I should have to tolerate them, but there is no way I'm going to give respect if I don't feel it is deserved.

Earn my respect Mr. Jedi, and I'll sing your praises.

It's funny how just adding the moniker 'religion' to anything somehow makes it a sacred no fly zone.

I don't HAVE to respect any ones beliefs. An argument can be made to say that I should have to tolerate them, but there is no way I'm going to give respect if I don't feel it is deserved.

Earn my respect Mr. Jedi, and I'll sing your praises.

Foolish you are! Respect, you shall give, or the Force you will feel! MMM?

smiley-vault-star-wars-022.gif

Foolish you are! Respect, you shall give, or the Force you will feel! MMM?

smiley-vault-star-wars-022.gif

Wait, a second...or you master yoda or the emporer?

Either way, I feel like shooting an ewok.

Jedi also have to be virgins. Good luck with that.

He's spouting the Jedi Code. I don't think luck will come into play.

Well, it would not be the first religion based on a science fiction author's writings.

Well, it would not be the first religion based on a science fiction author's writings.

So who would you rather have baby-sit your children: George Lucas or L. Ron Hubbard? ;)

I would rather leave them with my dogs.

Wait, a second...or you master yoda or the emporer?

Either way, I feel like shooting an ewok.

Neither, and both am I. All, we are the same, in the force. Mmm?

:ph34r:

OK, all done now.

Jedi-ism IS I believe a recognized religion, for what that's worth. I believe the TRUE followers, simply adopted the premise of self control, meditation, etc etc, without the sci-fi aspect of the light sabers, Jedi mind tricks...all that jazz.

He's spouting the Jedi Code. I don't think luck will come into play.

Now that's funny! Nicely done!

Neither, and both am I. All, we are the same, in the force. Mmm?

:ph34r:

OK, all done now.

Jedi-ism IS I believe a recognized religion, for what that's worth. I believe the TRUE followers, simply adopted the premise of self control, meditation, etc etc, without the sci-fi aspect of the light sabers, Jedi mind tricks...all that jazz.

Recognised by who and recognised where?

Wouldn't that essentially make it Zen Buddhism?