Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock of Abraham

dark_lord_tnt

Hi all,, I'm wondering if anyone knows about the rock of Abraham,, In jewish tradition this is where abraham was about to sacrifice his son,, and in islam its the same rock where Mohamed ascended to heaven.. I will appreciate it if anyone knows anything I need all myths legends and truth especially those who have actually seen it, I'm planning a trip pretty soon but In the mean time i'll love to learn a bit more,, no matter what you know just post it it will be beneficial..

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dark_lord_tnt

• danielost

• DieChecker

• SlimJim22

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,, I'm wondering if anyone knows about the rock of Abraham,, In jewish tradition this is where abraham was about to sacrifice his son,, and in islam its the same rock where Mohamed ascended to heaven.. I will appreciate it if anyone knows anything I need all myths legends and truth especially those who have actually seen it, I'm planning a trip pretty soon but In the mean time i'll love to learn a bit more,, no matter what you know just post it it will be beneficial..

Is it the site of the Dome of the Rock?

http://www.kurahulanda.com/lands-of-abraham

Rocks and stone were pretty important, mainly as sacrificial sites but for some other reasons to. Stone carvings were fairly common and in the story of Jacob he falls asleep on a stone and has a spiritual encounter. Legend has it that this one was taken to Scotland but I doubt the likelihood of this.

Abraham was a Chaldean and they are worth having an awareness of because they turn up everywhere. His name was originally Abram and in my home town there is this site.

http://www.swanseamass.org/history/abramsrock.html

Tell a lie that is Swansea, Massachusetts. Still an interesting story all the same if you like that sort of thing.

yes the dome of the rock.. the part i'm interested in is the the nature, and founding of this as well as truth to rumors / religious beliefs pr gossip if you prefer.. The one that draws my attention is that islam which states the stone levitates and still does today (the floating rock) ,,, another 2 hopeful sites of my visit will be the RAMA's BRIDGE (Bridge of Adam) and the the black stone of mecca.. I have keen interest in these but not much hope that any is real, If a rock really levitates knowing why and how to replicate it is surely beneficial.. I'll like to get as much information as possible including rumors, myths legends and quotes of religious text.. I have acquired a bit of material as u can see i haven't shared.. But in a few weeks I'll respond with my findings.. But as of now I wish to gather all information possible.. be it these artifacts are religious a detailed study is impossible presently.. however observation of it will reveal a lot.. currently I have not gotten permission to visit the black stone and no sign of that being possible anytime soon,, the two other sites are confirmed..

Edited by dark_lord_tnt

i am not sure if it is the rock of abraham but i know it was the alter of the temple. that is the reason it is black all of those burnt offerings.

i am not sure if it is the rock of abraham but i know it was the alter of the temple. that is the reason it is black all of those burnt offerings.

Can you give a bit more detail ?

Can you give a bit more detail ?

i dont know if it was there when they built the temple or if they moved it there. but from the size of the rock i have seen i would think it was in place. i cant give details of it being used as an alter.

I don't think the "rock" of the Dome of the Rock is black, or the ancient alter. Wiki seems to think it is a foundation stone of the Jewish Temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_of_the_Rock

It looks... well... rock colored.

411px-The_rock_of_the_Dome_of_the_Rock_Corrected.JPG.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_Stone

The story that I know of Abraham is that he took a plank of wood up the mountain to use as a sacrificial table. There could have been a large rock involved I guess, but at that time the "Rock" of the Dome of the Rock was actually the Top of the mountain. The story does not say they went to the top in the versions I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham

He commanded the servant to remain while he and Isaac proceeded alone to the mountain, Isaac carrying the wood upon which he would be sacrificed.
The rock is located towards the centre of the Temple Mount, an artificial platform built by Herod the Great on top of vaults over a hill, generally believed to be Mount Moriah. The rock constitutes the peak of this now hidden hill, which is also the highest in early biblical Jerusalem, looming over the City of David, and hence the rock is one of the highest points of the Old City.

thank you that was awesome... keep them coming..

yeah..the rock in the OP's starting Post is indeed believed to be the Dome of the Rock.

well,, thank you all,, Seeing as i didnt have much time we have decided to take leave early as of tonight!! We havent gotten permission for the black rock but well .. any way i'll let you know what happens..

ok,, 1.) rock doesnt float..

2.) the foot prints """" on top aint even foot prints its clearly erosion..

3.) the black burnt rock thats claimed to be the heat from its journey to heaven is mealy carbon residue from fires in its long past ,, ore than likely for sacrifices..

4.) non muslims cant see the kaba (black rock) ..

6.) In india the bridge of adam (rama's sethu) was most amazing,, it appears to be a bridge between india and sri lanka the locals claimed was built by ram a few thousand years ago.. Now its completely suberged under water,, we done in less than 10 feet before it could be seen ,, it appears to be a rock coral formation,, but whats strange is that while the ocean around it along its path deepens on both ends this formation remains at the same debth.. The rocks extend in a perfect formation right throung narrowing at its center ,, but flat to the surface except where the corals have grown over.. If this is indeed a man made bridge its quite a feet and I dont see how men can cut that much rock in a few years as the legend describes.. However according to the myth it was a god and his Army or varanus,, super beigns that brought rock from far wide.. looking at the landscape hardly a rock can be seen,, we eventually found one and took a core sample,, as well as one from a select spot on the bridge.. intital examination revealed the same mineral content (oh yeah) but its not an official result,, awaiting results which should be available in a few weeks..