Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama Sides With Mexico Against Arizona

AROCES

WASHINGTON -- Confronting soaring frustration over illegal immigration, President Barack Obama on Wednesday condemned Arizona's crackdown and pushed instead for a federal fix the nation could embrace. He said that will never happen without Republican support, pleading: "I need some help."

In asking anew for an immigration overhaul, Obama showed solidarity with his guest of honor, Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who called Arizona's law discriminatory and warned Mexico would reject any effort to "criminalize migration." The United States and Mexico share a significant economic and political relationship that stands to be damaged the more the nations are at odds over immigration, which affects millions of people on both sides of the border.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=130

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eqgumby

• new2forum

• The Silver Thong

• Neognosis

Why won`t Obama simply enforce existing laws? If I break any law, I expect to receive punishment (fine or jail time) for screwing up because I`m a terrible liar and would never get away with anything. Why does Obama believe they should get a free pass? It`s not like they`re helping the US economy. Sod-im in the bum. :angry2:

Headline for this should be Obama Sides with Illegals and Mexico against law abiding U.S. Citizens.

I like most of what Obama does. But I don't like this. The American people want jobs to go to Americans. Obama, please stop implying that we are racist for feeling that way. Actually, it's called patriotism.

At least Obama's being public about it so that we can respond. Bush did things in secret so we didn't even have the opportunity to criticize. That's not democracy.

I like most of what Obama does. But I don't like this. The American people want jobs to go to Americans. Obama, please stop implying that we are racist for feeling that way. Actually, it's called patriotism.

At least Obama's being public about it so that we can respond. Bush did things in secret so we didn't even have the opportunity to criticize. That's not democracy.

I'm stunned but...

I almost fall on the OTHER side of Siara...I don't think Obama has really declared a side here. I think he is implying that he sees the problem, and thinks Arizona may have gone "overboard" on their reaction. What his solution may be, is as yet undecided.

Personally, I don't think there is a problem with the law passed in Az., since the potential for abuse is there and inherent in nearly ANY law, rule, or regulation.

I'm stunned but...

I almost fall on the OTHER side of Siara...I don't think Obama has really declared a side here. I think he is implying that he sees the problem, and thinks Arizona may have gone "overboard" on their reaction. What his solution may be, is as yet undecided.

Personally, I don't think there is a problem with the law passed in Az., since the potential for abuse is there and inherent in nearly ANY law, rule, or regulation.

They have to make it real easy to report inappropriate behavior on the part of the cops. Politely asking people for ID is not over the top.

I've worked abroad and I got questioned by cops. It was no biggie. My host countries were protecting their populations.

Obama's never gonna get another 4 years at this rate. lol

no but he might get 6 years.

What jobs are going to illegals?

This.

What jobs are going to illegals?

This.

The deal is, when the economy here is doing super, and everyone is making money, and unemployment is low, no one cares if illegals want the "crap" jobs, low skill, heavy labor, day-jobs, etc etc. But when the economy is in the tank, and there is a growing segment of the population that WANT and NEED those traditionally menial labor style jobs for their survival, suddenly EVERYONE realizes they aren't just "taking our jobs", they are eating into our livelihood.

The deal is, when the economy here is doing super, and everyone is making money, and unemployment is low, no one cares if illegals want the "crap" jobs, low skill, heavy labor, day-jobs, etc etc. But when the economy is in the tank, and there is a growing segment of the population that WANT and NEED those traditionally menial labor style jobs for their survival, suddenly EVERYONE realizes they aren't just "taking our jobs", they are eating into our livelihood.

Yeah everywhere I go there's an illegal immigrant working. :rolleyes:

Hey Look!!! The economy is in the tank, being flushed away... I know, lets blame someone.... Darned Mexicans!! Kick them out!!

And just wait for the "I too big and important to do THAT job", and then see what happens.

Hypocrisy of the highest order.angry.gif

Hey Look!!! The economy is in the tank, being flushed away... I know, lets blame someone.... Darned Mexicans!! Kick them out!!

Nobody said anything about Mexicans or how they're ruining the economy here. Sounds like a straw man to me.

Yeah everywhere I go there's an illegal immigrant working. :rolleyes:

Take a look at the figures. There ARE illegals working all over. You act as if it's a myth, and it's NOT. How do you think the illegal aliens in this country make a living? MANY do so by working "under the table" or with false SS#'s.

And just wait for the "I too big and important to do THAT job", and then see what happens.

You're right. But trust me, if it comes down to people actually going hungry and working a menial job...the "darned Mexicans" better shag their butts back to Mexico. I'm not writing an opinion piece here, these are facts. Maybe Madrid doesn't have these issues, but it's getting pretty sticky here in the US.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100520/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy

Years ago you "Unitedstatesians" ( as I like to call you) allowed all those immigrants to flood your territory, and now you're crying like b****es. The ones to blame are your parents and grandparents, this issue is totally out of your hands, there's nothing you can do, the "reconquista" is almost done, too bad your ancestors were not smart enough to see it coming and take action. Don't blow your mind trying to find a solution, there's nothing left to do.

Greetings from Mexico City!

Best regards.

American from Mexico.

Years ago you "Unitedstatesians" ( as I like to call you) allowed all those immigrants to flood your territory, and now you're crying like b****es. The ones to blame are your parents and grandparents, this issue is totally out of your hands, there's nothing you can do, the "reconquista" is almost done, too bad your ancestors were not smart enough to see it coming and take action. Don't blow your mind trying to find a solution, there's nothing left to do.

Best regards.

American from Mexico.

:w00t:

Good luck with that.

I'm opening up a Taco stand just in case.

:lol:

Huh? Your argument sounds more emotional than logical... I mean, what are you basing your statement on? You have performed a survey of American workers to see who is willing to take what job?

Or, we can look at what the FACTS have to say (Kind of like in that "other" thread you disapeared from once you were supplied with a certain law you swore allowed racial profiling... he-he)

Rethinking Illegal Immigration: Long before the nation was flooded with illegal aliens somebody picked the lettuce, mowed the grass, flipped burgers, dug the ditches, and cleaned hotel rooms. These entry level jobs were done by guest agricultural workers, the working poor, legal immigrants and, in the summer, by students. Given supply and demand in a capitalistic society and there still are plenty of legal immigrants and resident Americans who would do these jobs at a fair and free market wage.

As Victor Davis Hanson recently noted in Rethinking illegal immigration:

"Areas in the United States that have experienced far less illegal immigration seem to have no insurmountable problems manning restaurants, cutting lawns or serving the needs of hotel guests. Travel to the Midwest, for example, and you'll see students are employed as cooks and maids. Construction relies on legal laborers. The evidence suggests massive illegal immigration causes as much upheaval inside Mexico as it supposedly prevents - while aggravating, not solving, problems in the United States."

When illegal aliens take these jobs they not only take jobs from American teens and drive the wages down but also deny entry level work and the ladder of opportunity from the working poor and legal immigrants thus making the American Dream harder to obtain. Additionally, even Wal-Mart can't hire all the retirees who want to work part time. Have you ever gone to Las Vegas? Next time note all the retirees working in the restaurants.

As noted by Frosty Wooldridge in Our Country Coming Undone:

"Illegal immigration hurts America's poor. In a recent account in the New York Times, Black children suffered 50% greater poverty in the past 10 years due to immigration. Illegal immigrants compete for jobs normally done by America's poor. A study by the Center For Immigration Studies wrote that "Mexican immigration is overwhelmingly unskilled and it's hard to find an economic argument for unskilled immigration because it tends to reduce wages for U.S. workers.

... Cheap labor from illegal immigration is not "cheap." It's subsidized by all of us in the form of our tax dollars paying for their services. It makes a few employers wealthy at the expense of all of us."

I just love this line that really makes the issue crystal clear: "Areas in the United States that have experienced far less illegal immigration seem to have no insurmountable problems manning restaurants, cutting lawns or serving the needs of hotel guests. Travel to the Midwest, for example, and you'll see students are employed as cooks and maids."

Honestly, it's right there staring us in the face. Americans aren't sitting on their butts refusing to do these jobs... If you claim they are, then prove it! Area's with abnormally low immigration have no problems filling these jobs as you seem to suggest.

Plus, as you make light of this situation suggesting that there's nothing for Americans to be upset over when it comes to illegals, you somehow manage to ignore:

The prestigious Wall Street investment firm Bear Stearns recently published a report, The Underground Labor Force is Rising to the Surface, which claims that the illegal alien population is double the official government estimates and that the Government vastly underestimates the cost of illegal immigration. According to Bear Stearns:

* The illegal alien population of the U.S. is about 20 million - roughly the population of New York State.

* Between 4 and 6 million jobs have shifted to the underground economy since 1990. These are not "jobs Americans won't do, but rather jobs Americans used to do.

* On the revenue side, the United States may be foregoing $35 billion a year in income tax collections because of the number of jobs that are now off the books.

* There are approximately 5 million illegal workers who are collecting wages on a cash basis and are avoiding both income and FICA taxes.

* The United States is hooked on cheap, illegal workers and is deferring the costs of providing public services to these quasi-Americans.

Or how about:

JOBS (per Center for Immigration Studies - September 2006): Between 2000 and 2005, 4.1 million immigrant workers arrived in the U.S., accounting for 86% of the net inrease in the total number of employed persons (16 & older), the highest share ever recorded in the U.S.

Of the 4.1 million, between 1.4 and 2.7 million are estimated to be illegal aliens.

The cost of illegal immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 (last known calculation by Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University) was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), $70 Billion per year.

Less than 2 % of illegal aliens are picking crops but 41 % are on welfare

Hmmmm... Not so funny now if you ask me. Or are you also going to make light of the thousands of Americans murdered each year by these illegals? How about the nearly 200,000 rapes and child molestations? These are real victims here, and a real problem. People being killed, and violently attacked, yet waive this off as "hypocrisy?" :huh:

"Yeah everywhere I go there's an illegal immigrant working."

Uh, and how would you know if they're an illegal or not? lol (A page out of the liberal MSM hand-book!) :rolleyes:

Best regards.

American from Mexico.

Don't you have some billy goats to torment or a bridge to hide under?

Yeah everywhere I go there's an illegal immigrant working.

Irrelevant, your portion of the country does not represent the majority.

Huh? Your argument sounds more emotional than logical... I mean, what are you basing your statement on? You have performed a survey of American workers to see who is willing to take what job?

*snip*

Rethinking Illegal Immigration: Long before the nation was flooded with illegal aliens somebody picked the lettuce, mowed the grass, flipped burgers, dug the ditches, and cleaned hotel rooms. These entry level jobs were done by guest agricultural workers, the working poor, legal immigrants and, in the summer, by students. Given supply and demand in a capitalistic society and there still are plenty of legal immigrants and resident Americans who would do these jobs at a fair and free market wage.

*snip*

This says much about the economies of these states that rely on illegal immigrants.

How will construction prices be effected in Arizona with no "illegals" to do the grunt work they get hired to do? Who will man the chicken assembly lines? Remember that place that got raided for hiring like 80% illegals on the assembly line, and paying them squat for the privilege? Will this drive up prices, OR, will it even things out, and make contractors and unscrupulous employers a little less filthy rich?

All I know is that El Presidente's speech is probably the funniest thing I have heard politically since that little Guam fiasco in Congress.

??? Notice the "LEGAL" vs. "ILLEGAL." There is a difference. Plus, you will notice what he is saying is that these jobs get done just fine in states with extraordinarily low immigration... (Perhaps I misread what you were saying? It's possible) Rising prices on certain items is a small price to pay for the problems it will solve: safety - crime - draining our welfare system, etc.

This says much about the economies of these states that rely on illegal immigrants.

How will construction prices be effected in Arizona with no "illegals" to do the grunt work they get hired to do? Who will man the chicken assembly lines? Remember that place that got raided for hiring like 80% illegals on the assembly line, and paying them squat for the privilege? Will this drive up prices, OR, will it even things out, and make contractors and unscrupulous employers a little less filthy rich?

Edited by new2forum

Or, we can look at what the FACTS have to say (Kind of like in that "other" thread you disapeared from once you were supplied with a certain law you swore allowed racial profiling... he-he)

As Victor Davis Hanson recently noted in Rethinking illegal immigration:

"Areas in the United States that have experienced far less illegal immigration seem to have no insurmountable problems manning restaurants, cutting lawns or serving the needs of hotel guests. Travel to the Midwest, for example, and you'll see students are employed as cooks and maids. Construction relies on legal laborers. The evidence suggests massive illegal immigration causes as much upheaval inside Mexico as it supposedly prevents - while aggravating, not solving, problems in the United States."

When illegal aliens take these jobs they not only take jobs from American teens and drive the wages down but also deny entry level work and the ladder of opportunity from the working poor and legal immigrants thus making the American Dream harder to obtain. Additionally, even Wal-Mart can't hire all the retirees who want to work part time. Have you ever gone to Las Vegas? Next time note all the retirees working in the restaurants.

As noted by Frosty Wooldridge in Our Country Coming Undone:

"Illegal immigration hurts America's poor. In a recent account in the New York Times, Black children suffered 50% greater poverty in the past 10 years due to immigration. Illegal immigrants compete for jobs normally done by America's poor. A study by the Center For Immigration Studies wrote that "Mexican immigration is overwhelmingly unskilled and it's hard to find an economic argument for unskilled immigration because it tends to reduce wages for U.S. workers.

... Cheap labor from illegal immigration is not "cheap." It's subsidized by all of us in the form of our tax dollars paying for their services. It makes a few employers wealthy at the expense of all of us."

I just love this line that really makes the issue crystal clear: "Areas in the United States that have experienced far less illegal immigration seem to have no insurmountable problems manning restaurants, cutting lawns or serving the needs of hotel guests. Travel to the Midwest, for example, and you'll see students are employed as cooks and maids."

Honestly, it's right there staring us in the face. Americans aren't sitting on their butts refusing to do these jobs... If you claim they are, then prove it! Area's with abnormally low immigration have no problems filling these jobs as you seem to suggest.

Plus, as you make light of this situation suggesting that there's nothing for Americans to be upset over when it comes to illegals, you somehow manage to ignore:

The prestigious Wall Street investment firm Bear Stearns recently published a report, The Underground Labor Force is Rising to the Surface, which claims that the illegal alien population is double the official government estimates and that the Government vastly underestimates the cost of illegal immigration. According to Bear Stearns:

* The illegal alien population of the U.S. is about 20 million - roughly the population of New York State.

* Between 4 and 6 million jobs have shifted to the underground economy since 1990. These are not "jobs Americans won't do, but rather jobs Americans used to do.

* On the revenue side, the United States may be foregoing $35 billion a year in income tax collections because of the number of jobs that are now off the books.

* There are approximately 5 million illegal workers who are collecting wages on a cash basis and are avoiding both income and FICA taxes.

* The United States is hooked on cheap, illegal workers and is deferring the costs of providing public services to these quasi-Americans.

Or how about:

JOBS (per Center for Immigration Studies - September 2006): Between 2000 and 2005, 4.1 million immigrant workers arrived in the U.S., accounting for 86% of the net inrease in the total number of employed persons (16 & older), the highest share ever recorded in the U.S.

Of the 4.1 million, between 1.4 and 2.7 million are estimated to be illegal aliens.

The cost of illegal immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 (last known calculation by Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University) was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), $70 Billion per year.

Less than 2 % of illegal aliens are picking crops but 41 % are on welfare

Hmmmm... Not so funny now if you ask me. Or are you also going to make light of the thousands of Americans murdered each year by these illegals? How about the nearly 200,000 rapes and child molestations? These are real victims here, and a real problem. People being killed, and violently attacked, yet waive this off as "hypocrisy?" :huh:

Long before illegal immigration? I'm 24 and don't remember a time before illegal immigration. I remember illegals in northeast Texas doing all the work. That's right, TEXAS.

It's a cop out to blame the illegals for the slow economy. IT'S NOT TRUE. They have NOTHING to do with it. It's just that all the sudden the real jobs are have been slow and now some of us must go back to diggin ditches and nursery work but guess what, the illegals have been doing this work FOR YEARS and NOOOW you want them to go. NOW it is convenient. What a bunch of crap this society lives in.

Anyone who is for sending illegals home should be vacuumed packed and sent to Mexico to work in a factory. We'll see how fast they come gunning for the border LMAO.