Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

International gun control

Tsukasa

Well, good on him!, is my spontaneous reaction. Americans are crazy with regards to gun laws and I still can't understand how you can fail to see that more guns means more violence, not more protection. It's staring you in the face.

It's scary how ignorant this type of thinking is. And, sadly all too common. All we read in the mainstream media is criminals committing gun crimes and never, ever, the countless stories of normal people saving their lives and properties every day because they are armed and prepared. All because the good stories don't sell and it leads to these types of completely false assumptions. Sad.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• joshsluss

• danielost

• Halfwolf

NO THEY ARE NOT!!! Learn about other cultures before assigning some "home-made" philosophy to them. Hey Look!! Gun crime in the USA 5 times higher than the UK, that cant be right because there is "Gun control " in the UK. Stupid is as stupid does...w00t.gif

Okay, citation?

It's scary how ignorant this type of thinking is. And, sadly all too common. All we read in the mainstream media is criminals committing gun crimes and never, ever, the countless stories of normal people saving their lives and properties every day because they are armed and prepared. All because the good stories don't sell and it leads to these types of completely false assumptions. Sad.

Why don't you show me some examples of those countless stories. I am always happy to be saved from my ignorance.

Why don't you show me some examples of those countless stories. I am always happy to be saved from my ignorance.

I don't know about countless, but off the top of my head there was a story I read about the LA riot. Mobs were looting almost every store and house they moved near. One guy went on his roof with a chair, had his rifle in his hands and would warn any person who came near his house.

He didn't shoot anyone and his home wasn't vandalized at all. Just the fact that potential home invaders knew he was armed and ready deterred any of them from trying to raid his home.

I'm not gonna search for you but just a small example would be the 10 or so stories written about every month in my Firearms magazine. True stories that you'll never read about anywhere else.

What the hell, start here I guess:

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/

Edited by Sweetpumper

NO THEY ARE NOT!!! Learn about other cultures before assigning some "home-made" philosophy to them. Hey Look!! Gun crime in the USA 5 times higher than the UK, that cant be right because there is "Gun control " in the UK. Stupid is as stupid does...w00t.gif

i didnt say gun crime was higher in the uk. i said when gun control went into affect crime went up. i also stated that bobbies were carring guns now. that i got from one of the threads on here a couple of months ago,

CALM DOWN PEOPLE do your research on this subject. They aren't taking away your guns read Startravlers post.

Wow! One made it on the news.

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

FOXNews.com

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/year-old-chicago-man-kills-armed-home-invader/

CALM DOWN PEOPLE do your research on this subject. They aren't taking away your guns read Startravlers post.

Yeah, I have to agree with Ryinrea... Startraveler did pretty much nail it on the first page.

UN Article 61/89 covers it too.

Shoot, the article originally posted didn't even say guns are being taken away from citizens...

Go take the guns the government is not taking away from you and chill....

*disclaimer- I do not advocate that anyone go take a gun, please use guns responsibly :)

Yeah, I have to agree with Ryinrea... Startraveler did pretty much nail it on the first page.

UN Article 61/89 covers it too.

Shoot, the article originally posted didn't even say guns are being taken away from citizens...

Go take the guns the government is not taking away from you and chill....

*disclaimer- I do not advocate that anyone go take a gun, please use guns responsibly :)

i dont understand, you tell people to go steal a gun, then tell them to use them responsibly,

i dont understand, you tell people to go steal a gun, then tell them to use them responsibly,

It's probably a joke.

It's probably a joke.

yes, i know but so is gun control, since the criminal element doesnt care about laws any ways.

What do you mean, Dan? Of course gun control works. If you make guns illegal, why would anyone have them? Heck, murder is illegal, and that doesn't happen, right?

What do you mean, Dan? Of course gun control works. If you make guns illegal, why would anyone have them? Heck, murder is illegal, and that doesn't happen, right?

no your right my bad.

Heck, murder is illegal, and that doesn't happen, right?

Does murder being against the law lower the murder rate relative to what it would be if murder were legal? And, if not, why not legalize it?

Does murder being against the law lower the murder rate relative to what it would be if murder were legal? And, if not, why not legalize it?

the law against murder is a bible law so it should be overturned on that basis. we wouldnt want people who arent christians to follow a christian law.

Astonishingly, there were laws (against murder, even) long before Christianity ever existed.

Edited by Startraveler

Astonishingly, there were laws (against murder, even) long before Christianity ever existed.

and the word god was used long before there were christians, or what ever the word is in what ever languages in use at the time.

GUYS!

We should have no law period. Because having the law means there are innocent people in jail. It's better to have no law than to have an innocent person in jail!

:unsure2:

Does murder being against the law lower the murder rate relative to what it would be if murder were legal?

Not by much, if you ask me.

Not by much, if you ask me.

isnt amazing when those who want to take away someones rights, they can come up with all kinds of reasons to do it.

and just for everyones info, i do not own a gun and never will. but that too is my right, as is changing my mind in the future.

isnt amazing when those who want to take away someones supposed rights, they can come up with all kinds of reasons to do it.

there. fixed that for you. The 2nd amendment is about militias and we don't need them. IMO.

there. fixed that for you. The 2nd amendment is about militias and we don't need them. IMO.

Yes, that is most DEFINITELY an opinion. If you read the second amendment, it also tells you that the PEOPLE'S right to bear arms shall not be violated. I personally do not own a gun and I am truly scared of them, but I believe the PEOPLE have the right to make that choice. I believe that a person needs to pass a psychological exam to make sure they are emotionally/mentally stable. They should also need to have their medical history looked at and take classes on everything to do with a gun.

Another post I read (many of them to be exact) stated that more guns means more violence, when in reality more criminals means more violence. We need the guns to protect us from more than burglars (let's not go into what a main reason could be) but from other things as well.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

No, it isn't this is one area you're misinformed on.

And there are plenty of resources to support this.

Introduction

The Second Amendment:

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

The original intent and purpose of the Second Amendment was to preserve and guarantee, not grant, the pre-existing right of individuals to keep and bear arms. Although the amendment emphasizes the need for a militia, membership in any militia, let alone a well-regulated one, was not intended to serve as a prerequisite for exercising the right to keep arms.

The Second Amendment preserves and guarantees an individual right for a collective purpose. That does not transform the right into a "collective right." The militia clause was a declaration of purpose, and preserving the people's right to keep and bear arms was the method the framers chose to, in-part, ensure the continuation of a well-regulated militia.

There is no contrary evidence from the writings of the Founding Fathers, early American legal commentators, or pre-twentieth century Supreme Court decisions, indicating that the Second Amendment was intended to apply solely to active militia members.

Source:

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndpur.html