Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida Sea Monster Controversy

Connor.

The salt water crocodile was the only scaly reptilian creature I could think of that swims in salt water.

Do you know of any other creatures fitting that description?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Connor.

• Cetacea

• Mattshark

• ShadowSot

The salt water crocodile was the only scaly reptilian creature I could think of that swims in salt water.

Do you know of any other creatures fitting that description?

American and Cuban crocodiles both swim in salt water too.

Nile Crocodiles can also be found in coastal mangroves and estuaries.

I have also seen America alligators in salt water too.

Edited by Mattshark

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation their Mattshark, What are your views on the 1915 sighting then?

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation their Mattshark, What are your views on the 1915 sighting then?

I would say it is a nice story to tell the kids.

American and Cuban crocodiles both swim in salt water too.

Nile Crocodiles can also be found in coastal mangroves and estuaries.

I have also seen America alligators in salt water too.

Not to forget that Nile crocodiles can grow to a quite impressive size.

I found this footage very interesting. These are the kind of videos that make people think.

Where I live, I can see one a block away from me whenever I want. They live in the canals. And, that is a manatee with a tail that was damaged by a propeller. It is such an unfortunately common problem that you are not allowed to speed in your boat in many parts of Florida, with hefty fines if you are caught speeding in Manatee Zones. I know this all too well, I own a boat and I do much salt water fishing.

acc07c.jpg

I found this footage very interesting. These are the kind of videos that make people think.

You've never seen a manatee and you live in Florida? You should visit Sea World, you'll see plenty of them being kept there recovering from wounds caused by boat propellers. The most common injury being to their hind flipper, just as the one in this video.

edit

@ CryptidConnor

You can visit Sea World and check out the Marine Biology Institute that is right in front of it, if you're ever in Miami.

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/divs/mbf/

You can see the manatees and look into that marine biology degree all in one day.

Edited by Halaster

Yeah, It gets me thinking to but I believe that it's just an injured manatee and a crocodile :( . Thanks for the information Fernando but i'm a teenager that lives in Scotland so I doubt i'll be going to Florida anytime soon, lol.

Where I live, I can see one a block away from me whenever I want. They live in the canals. And, that is a manatee with a tail that was damaged by a propeller. It is such an unfortunately common problem that you are not allowed to speed in your boat in many parts of Florida, with hefty fines if you are caught speeding in Manatee Zones. I know this all too well, I own a boat and I do much salt water fishing.

acc07c.jpgYou've never seen a manatee and you live in Florida? You should visit Sea World, you'll see plenty of them being kept there recovering from wounds caused by boat propellers. The most common injury being to their hind flipper, just as the one in this video.

edit

@ CryptidConnor

You can visit Sea World and check out the Marine Biology Institute that is right in front of it, if you're ever in Miami.

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/divs/mbf/

You can see the manatees and look into that marine biology degree all in one day.

Well you can visit Seaworld if you want to be lied to and see animal kept in conditions that are considered inhumane and illegal in other countries. Seaworld does a thousand times more damage to the environment than it helps and they are a joke in the scientific community.

Well you can visit Seaworld if you want to be lied to and see animal kept in conditions that are considered inhumane and illegal in other countries. Seaworld does a thousand times more damage to the environment than it helps and they are a joke in the scientific community.

Wow. :o

Wow. :o

Yep, they got done for polluting I believe it was San Diego Bay by about 700% of the acceptable level and got their fireworks banned a few times because of the debris that was causing and that's before we start on animal welfare....

I really don't see why people need to go and see dolphins doing tricks when they can see them behaving naturally in the wild for less than the price SeaWorld charges.

Ive seen Dolphins in the wild just off the coast of Gibraltar if that's the correct spelling, it was one of the greatest experience's of my life :wub:

We see plenty of Dolphin here in Florida.

Even managed to be int eh water near them, but made sure to try to avoid them as much as possible, they're still wild animals.

Waas amazing to listen to them under water.

they have been finding quite alot of new species of animals.new types of snakes frogs rats. a half meter wide sea spider thousands of new critters never before seen..i seriously doubt any LARGE creature could have remained unnoticed this long.altough 70% of the ocean is unexplored..unless thats another statistic my science teacher got wrong...wouldnt surprise me.he was a maths teacher anyway

Hello guys, I found this video in the related column on YouTube when watching a MonsterQuest video. I would like you guys to watch it and give your opinions on the video in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Putting the JURASSIC PARK title theme in the video doesn't help the credibility of it's creator much ... gives off the impression of dinosaur fans that want to believe dinosaurs and other prehistoric megafauna still roam the earth.

Edited by Sir_Quack_The_Wack

Well you can visit Seaworld if you want to be lied to and see animal kept in conditions that are considered inhumane and illegal in other countries.

I'm sure.

Seaworld does a thousand times more damage to the environment than it helps and they are a joke in the scientific community.

And hippies are even more of a joke.

I'm sure.

Just one example of lying:

Observation of disparity between educational material disseminated by public display facilities and the scientific literature

(not to forget they tried to claim Dawn Brancheau fell rather than being dragged in forcefully by Tilikum at first...)

Pollution:

After it was publicised that Sea World faced fines for dumping waste water in San

Diego's Mission Bay, violating toxicity levels sometimes as much as 700%, Sea

World made a feeble attempt at blaming excessive coliform and chlorine on unwanted

waterfowl (Frammolino, 1988). Sea World claimed it had never attempted to bar the

"feathered intruders" from its grounds, and would not do so because of its

conservation orientation, and because the birds were popular with visitors (cited in

Richmond, 1988). However, following the published statement, a former employee

described witnessing hundreds of waterfowl shot routinely during her employment in

Richmond, M. (1988, September 30). Sea World, city face pollution curbs, The

Tribune, p. B-1.

(1988, October 12). Sea World admits killing birds, The Tribune, p. A-1.

(More recent:http://www.10news.com/news/11469697/detail.html)

Hippies may be. People with degrees in animal welfare not so much.

It has nothing to do with being about 'free all animals', it's about some species being less suitable for captivity than others and being kept in atrocious conditions when compared to standard zoos.

I would go on but have the feeling there is no interest in that, the happy disney world is much more fun to believe in for most people...

Japanes times

Sir_Quack_The_Wack, I would suggest you read this article.

PDF FROM NOOA about the conditions of Sea World

:yes:

There is at least enough concern to warrant a hearing on the value of captivity:

http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=27&extmode=view&extid=348

It's 2 hours but gives a good introduction to the issue.

I never noticed the Jurassic Park theme before so thanks for pointing that out but please people don't turn this into a thread about how disfunctional SeaWorld is.

Also I heard that only 2% of the worlds oceans have been explored.

I never noticed the Jurassic Park theme before so thanks for pointing that out but please people don't turn this into a thread about how disfunctional SeaWorld is.

Also I heard that only 2% of the worlds oceans have been explored.

And I heard that 70% remains unstudied.

I've heard several other numbers, which has led me to believe Professor Wright on his remark: "42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. "

I don't know what the actual number is, but I'm sure it's affected by area.

Some spots are better studied or more reachable than others.

Very true, I believe that one day atleast 90% of the ocean will be explored and studied but advancement's in technology will be needed before this can happen.

What the hell do hippies have to with anything? *SNIP*

Edited by Lilly
removed inflammatory comment

It's an aquatic giant Hyrax