Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Amityville Horror' home for sale

Tom B

'Amityville Horror' home for sale in N.Y. for $1.15M

AMITYVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — The house made famous in the 1979 film The Amityville Horror is up for sale in New York — ghosts not included.

The five-bedroom Dutch Colonial went on the market Monday for $1.15 million.

The Oscar-nominated film is based on the story of the Lutz family's brief stay in the house in 1975 after six members of the DeFeo family were shot and killed as they slept in the home. Eldest son Ronald DeFeo Jr. was convicted of the murders.

The crime spawned a book and a series of movies that chronicled various supernatural horrors, including visions of walls oozing slime, moving furniture and a visit from a demonic pig named Jodie. The original film stars James Brolin and Margot Kidder.

Neighbors say gawkers still occasionally come by, mostly on Halloween.

Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2010-05-25-amityville-horror-house_N.htm

Edited by Tom B

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susieice

• Tom B

• HerNibs

• _Only

A beautiful home with an interesting history - I envy whoever it's new residence end up being ^_^

A beautiful home with an interesting history - I envy whoever it's new residence end up being ^_^

No doubt. I would love to have that house, just for the creepy factor.

It is a lovely home I would buy if I was there and had the cash.

But my neighbors would hate me... Though I don't always decorate for holidays, I never fail to do so for Halloween :innocent:

Someone should buy this and make it a beautiful home. The amityville horror stories are know to be fake so there's no problems! Sure it was the scene of terrible murders but it's a gorgeous house!

I would rather buy Marilyn Monroe's home. Her spirit haunts the unattached cottage where she died. Best, Christine

I think I would prefer to live in a house that's haunted than a house where a family was murdered. There's just something about all that anger and negativity that I don't think I could shake the whole time I was there.

I would buy it (ofc if I had that sort of money) and turn it into a bed and breakfast.

I think it would make a killing.

I would buy it (ofc if I had that sort of money) and turn it into a bed and breakfast.

I think it would make a killing.

:w00t:

i wouldnt mind buying this house too! but only if the movie was real ...

i wouldnt mind buying this house too! but only if the movie was real ...

So you would be OK with possibly being around murderous demons(if the story is true)?

would that be the actual house or the house they used to represent the oiginal in the film?

would that be the actual house or the house they used to represent the oiginal in the film?

The actual house where the murders occurred.

I think it is the original house and the one in the film. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it is the original house and the one in the film. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the original house where the murders happened; the movie was filmed in New Jersey (I think)!

Ooooh, I'd buy it in a second.

Hubby wasn't so sure. I told him that if we were to buy it and if we woke up dead one day, we would sell right away.

:)

Nibs

Ooooh, I'd buy it in a second.

Hubby wasn't so sure. I told him that if we were to buy it and if we woke up dead one day, we would sell right away.

:)

Nibs

I think that sounds more than reasonable! :yes:

The last owner bought it for $300,000 and change, now it's worth over a million. He must have done some awesome improvements. The home is beautiful, but I think the murders might play in my mind at times. The spirits wouldn't bother me.

With front page CNN news, this thing will be sold for alot more then 1.15m... This will get alot of response me thinks.

Though personally I think the negative space from the 6 murders would be too much for me, not sure if I would be able to smile in a place where children where shot to death.

Personally, I too would think the negative feeling of the house would scary me a little bit, but I find this place cool which means I would totally buy it, if I had S1,15 million dollars to spend.

Edited by Ryinrea

I would love to spend at least one night there

Gah, I'm trying to locate the house on the realtor's page. Take a virtual tour.

I keep getting distracted by some of the other houses nearby for sale.

Wow.

Nibs

The last owner bought it for $300,000 and change, now it's worth over a million. He must have done some awesome improvements.

The biggest improvement was the new windows, lol.

I think buying and living in a house like this would have the same affect on me as a really good scary movie.

I love it...

But end up not being able to sleep at night.