Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beavers responsible for Poland's flooding

Still Waters

Beavers are partly to blame for the devastating floods that have swept Poland killing 15 people because the animals tunnel through vital defences protecting the cities, the interior minister has said.

"The greatest enemy of the flood defences is an animal called the beaver. They live everywhere along the levees on the Vistula (river) and cause a lot of damage to them," Jerzy Miller said.

An estimated 50,000 of the large, mostly nocturnal, semi-aquatic rodents live in Poland where they enjoy a degree of protection, animal welfare services say.

However, local authorities have upped hunting quotas for the animals in the wake of the floods.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• Mac E

• danielost

• Still Waters

I think this is a case of mistaken identity.

I don´t think it´s beavers that are to blame, but muskrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat

Why muskrats?

Why muskrats?

Not sure either as the beaver is no doubt the culprit damning up drainage ditches and culverts.

Why muskrats?

I know what beavers are capable of, but I also know muskrats are in far larger numbers living in Poland (and Europe in general).

Here in Holland they have been trying for many years to exterminate the muskrats because they create danger of flooding (digging long tunnels in flood-defences).

And they even re-introduced beavers; I don't think if beavers were as dangerous as the Polish claim they are, that we Dutch would have reintroduced them in our country...

And btw, there was even a Polish official saying it wasn't beavers, but muskrats.

But hey, they look alot alike, and beaver pelts are much more valuable than muskrat pelts. Happy Hunting.

I know what beavers are capable of, but I also know muskrats are in far larger numbers living in Poland (and Europe in general).

Here in Holland they have been trying for many years to exterminate the muskrats because they create danger of flooding (digging long tunnels in flood-defences).

And they even re-introduced beavers; I don't think if beavers were as dangerous as the Polish claim they are, that we Dutch would have reintroduced them in our country...

And btw, there was even a Polish official saying it wasn't beavers, but muskrats.

But hey, they look alot alike, and beaver pelts are much more valuable than muskrat pelts. Happy Hunting.

i think i prefer american beavers. they actually help to control flooding.

i think i prefer american beavers. they actually help to control flooding.

Ha that is a great post! :tu: Beavers are beavers and behave similiarly despite regions. Beaver dams create flooding. That is how they create their environment.

Ha that is a great post! :tu: Beavers are beavers and behave similiarly despite regions. Beaver dams create flooding. That is how they create their environment.

beaver dams create small ponds. after which flooding up stream disapates into the pond instead of rushing down stream. true to start with it is flooding after wards it is flood control. just like human dams.

Ha that is a great post! thumbsup.gif Beavers are beavers and behave similiarly despite regions. Beaver dams create flooding. That is how they create their environment.

Well, I hope you did read my former post.

Initially I assumed it was a case of mistaken identity, but now I have the strong feeling it's a case of profit...

Here in Holland the reintroduced beavers create no problems at all, but the muskrats sure as hell do.

If they didnt kill those muskrats by the thousands every year I would live on the 1st floor instead of on the 7th floor... and have a large stretch of sea right up to my balcony.

Well, I hope you did read my former post.

Initially I assumed it was a case of mistaken identity, but now I have the strong feeling it's a case of profit...

Here in Holland the reintroduced beavers create no problems at all, but the muskrats sure as hell do.

If they didnt kill those muskrats by the thousands every year I would live on the 1st floor instead of on the 7th floor... and have a large stretch of sea right up to my balcony.

I did read you first post and I was skeptical at first, but the more I thought about it, it would make sense that it could be muskrats. I have seen them digging into the sides of the river banks. I can see where that would create some damage if there was a high population of muskrats in the area.

beavers are cool we should get them to build our hydroelectric dams

2511438394_a8fbe2d65c.jpg