Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Video gamers can control dreams,

Still Waters

Playing video games before bedtime may give people an unusual level of awareness and control in their dreams, LiveScience has learned.

That ability to shape the alternate reality of dream worlds might not match mind-bending Hollywood films such as "The Matrix," but it could provide an edge when fighting nightmares or even mental trauma.

Dreams and video games both represent alternate realities, according to Jayne Gackenbach, a psychologist at Grant MacEwan University in Canada. But she pointed out that dreams arise biologically from the human mind, while video games are technologically driven by computers and gaming consoles.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kazahel

• Paracelse

• kirstylou

• Wyrdlight

yet another win for video games.

I play video games a lot, and have been for at least 25 years, and I have frequent lucid dreams. Could be something to it?

This does not suprise me. People who dont ever play video games are often very harsh and critical of people who do.

In truth many games require a very high degree of skill to play, they foster competion between people. Imrpove maths, logic and mental agilty, just not in a such a way as is instantly apparent to many people.

I found that a fascinating read. Especically this part..

In other words, a scary nightmare scenario turned into something "fun" for a gamer.

"What happens with gamers is that something inexplicable happens," Gackenbach explained. "They don't run away, they turn and fight back. They're more aggressive than the norms."

Levels of aggression in gamer dreams also included hyper-violence not unlike that of an R-rated movie, as opposed to a non-gamer PG-13 dream.

"If you look at the actual overall amount of aggression, gamers have less aggression in dreams," Gackenbach said. "But when they're aggressive, oh boy, they go off the top."

And I also think playing games are good for another thing too.. they get you use to respawning. So death isnt really so bad in the end. ^_^

*I've even had dreams where I've died and I've just respawned back at a checkpoint.

Edited by Kazahel

Either I am an exception or this study is bogus.

I have been playing games frequently for over 15 years and every time of day. I have never once noticed this.

I don't know about dreams personally, but it certainly helped me with my driving reflexes in real life by playing all those San Francisco Rush and Burnout titles. I may very well saved my passenger's life by flooring my car out of harms way instead of breaking and bracing for impact.

I am a fat 51 year old gaming woman and I am a very active dreamer, usually action packed dreams. lol As for better reflexes, a couple of years ago I went horse back riding. The horse spooked over a piece of plastic laying on the ground and teleported about 3 feet to the right. My butt stayed position, my lightning fast reflexes enabled me to grab the saddle horn and jerk myself back into the saddle. My friend said she had never seen anyone that far out of the saddle recover like that. lol Gaming ftw!!

I have been playing games frequently for over 15 years and every time of day. I have never once noticed this.

It's always happened to me. Especially after long hauls playing new games. Basically they're dreams where you're just playing the game though. It used to happen to me often playing WoW, where you control the in-game outcomes. It still happens to me if I play poker for a while - I have poker dreams where I can decide which cards fall. They're usually pretty dry.

I found that a fascinating read. Especically this part..

And I also think playing games are good for another thing too.. they get you use to respawning. So death isnt really so bad in the end. ^_^

*I've even had dreams where I've died and I've just respawned back at a checkpoint.

I have similar dreams, although it isn't exactly respawning as more of me replaying and reanalyzing the situations.

I definitely think this is true. I've even played a dream version of the game I was playing before I went to bed.

In other words, a scary nightmare scenario turned into something "fun" for a gamer.

"What happens with gamers is that something inexplicable happens," Gackenbach explained. "They don't run away, they turn and fight back. They're more aggressive than the norms."

Levels of aggression in gamer dreams also included hyper-violence not unlike that of an R-rated movie, as opposed to a non-gamer PG-13 dream.

"If you look at the actual overall amount of aggression, gamers have less aggression in dreams," Gackenbach said. "But when they're aggressive, oh boy, they go off the top

i had this hallway when i was a kid that always freaked me out. One night i had a dream i was walking down the hallway and all these stuffed animals at the end came alive with red eyes n sharp ass teeth, i had the general impression they wanted to eat me:P anyways instead of screaming and turning around i ran at them. when i got to the doorway everything had changed, they were all smiles and i just remember chillin with them for a moment before i woke up. when i woke up i had this overwhelming feeling of power, that i could change my nightmares just by facing them. I believe i was like 8-9 and had been having problems with nightmares:D

I've had dreams where I'm in the game I was playing.

I've definitely had many dreams of being in a video game I recently played, however I definitely haven't been fortunate enough to have control over any of my dreams in any way. Perhaps I should start playing more >.>

Hooray for Games! But really, I rarely had dreams lately, talk about CONTROLLING them and I play Video Games everyday!

But in my childhood my nightmares were intense,(Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, anyone?) I fought zombies and

and I remember myself dying several time, too bad I didn't respawn... :rolleyes:

I've definitely had many dreams of being in a video game I recently played, however I definitely haven't been fortunate enough to have control over any of my dreams in any way. Perhaps I should start playing more >.>

I'm the same. I buy heaps of games but don't have the time to play them. Can't wait til I've finished uni..

The first study suggested that people who frequently played video games were more likely to report lucid dreams, observer dreams where they viewed themselves from outside their bodies, and dream control that allowed people to actively influence or change their dream worlds – qualities suggestive of watching or controlling the action of a video-game character.

Hooray for Games! But really, I rarely had dreams lately, talk about CONTROLLING them and I play Video Games everyday!

I think that just means you dont have very good dream recall.

Also there is a difference between being lucid in a dream and having dream control. Being lucid means you know you are dreaming and that you know you can do impossible actions which you cant do in waking life(so you are more aware of the realities and so can change it). While just having good dream control to me means just knowing you can do impossible actions without fully knowing you are dreaming.

So I think playing games can give you better dream control because you are used to doing impossible things in games which means your mind is more used to the thought of it while dreaming. And this could trigger a lucid dream from doing the impossible actions. So for example you might play or even watch Superman before bed and then dream of flying but if your aware enough while you are flying you will think 'wtf!' "I must be dreaming or something because I am flying!" So I think games can give you the ability(more chance)to do impossible actions but at the same time depending on how aware you are to if they will trigger you into knowing that you are dreaming because of the impossible actions.

So basically when you do an impossible action like walking through a wall that gives you a chance to understand what youve done and then go lucid. And you might dream of walking through a wall if you play a game involving walking through walls.

I believe this to be true too. I've played a vast array of games over the last 15-20yrs from MMORPG to FPS's. It was probably about 20 yrs ago now that I think about it, that I began to notice that I had control of what I would/could do in my dreams and the sheer lucidity of them. I noticed that my dreams would end up being similar to watching an exciting movie and if I didn't want to watch it anymore or it was becoming too scary and I had to chicken out of it, it would be like I had a millisecond of consciousness within the dream itself, where I would realise it's time to end the dream and I would wind the story down and wake up. But, until this article, I'd never put the two together. :unsure2:

I don't know about dreams personally, but it certainly helped me with my driving reflexes in real life by playing all those San Francisco Rush and Burnout titles. I may very well saved my passenger's life by flooring my car out of harms way instead of breaking and bracing for impact.

So is my real life car racing experience... and my high speed motorcycle riding..

Wasn't there an article on hypnogonia recently? Anyhow, after a life time of never playing a single vidgame (new word) I continue the practice of hypnogonia and it's not new to me.

This is old, The reason this is done is because whenever you play video games, your alert and aware not to mention your brain is constantly reacting to what might happpen next in the video game itself, so therefore your more alert and aware

This reminds me of this one time I played GTA 4 before I sleep one night and I was dreaming I was in that strip club in liberty city.

Shooting up the gangsters, just like in that mission.[those who played will know what i'm talking about]

True story.

That dream I had total control.

I have good dream control and had many lucid dreams, but I kinda suck at videogames, wtf?

I don't know if it was nessesarily video game related (although I am a gamer) but once I was having this dream where this monster thing was after me, and I ended getting cornered and was seriously screwed..than I relized I was dreaming so I started shooting fireballs out of my hands and seriusly kicked azz.