Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GOP again attacking Gays in the Military

THE MATRIX

Honestly, the only those are currently, or have served, in the military should have any power to change DADT. Being a soldier is different from being a civilian. You literally sign many of your freedoms away when you enlist.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Pseudo Intellectual

• eqgumby

• ninjadude

I think this source provides a nice historical evaluation of discrimination in the military. Showing a lot of dispassionate sourced facts. Good reading.

As for your exact question:

Discharges have actually increased under the policy, and harassment of gay and lesbian personnel appears to have intensified in many locales.

nine military linguists - including six who were fluent in Arabic - were discharged in 2002 after their homosexuality became known.

In 2003, three high-ranking retired military officers publicly disclosed their homosexuality

source

I think this source provides a nice historical evaluation of discrimination in the military. Showing a lot of dispassionate sourced facts. Good reading.

Who said the gays aren't discriminated against in the military? It's illegal to be a practicing gay in the military; illegal activity usually warrants some "discrimination". If anything, this shows that DADT works fairly well. If retired senior personnel can disclose, that means that so long as they kept their issue to themselves, they were able to thrive and have successful careers in the military. The issue is not discrimination, the issue is performance. If good performance brings with it some different attitudes than would be the norm in a civilian setting, then discriminate away. There is a reason this is a unique institution, with its own legal system and core identity. No one else's job involves killing large numbers of people and risking your own life in an atmosphere of purposeful violence. We aren't talking about gym class.

If anything, this shows that DADT works fairly well. If retired senior personnel can disclose, that means that so long as they kept their issue to themselves,

Then you didn't read about it. It's not working. At all. Maybe when you graduate from HS gym class, you'll understand.

The American military was designed to be run by the civilian presence as to not have a military that could possible bring upon a take over of the civilian government. Not sure much more needs to be said as far as doing things internally of course we can't have Betty White telling troop to invade or to bomb, that's just silly LOL. However she could decide what the gay troops eat lol.

Then you didn't read about it. It's not working. At all. Maybe when you graduate from HS gym class, you'll understand.

I deal with the miiitary every day. It's working. If gays in the military are unhappy, then they have choices. And gays in the military-- who make up an extremely small part of the military, BTW-- are the only ones who think they are going to benefit from a change in policy. And chance are they are wrong.

Actually, I'd rather have Betty White leading the troops than the Obi One. She led the cast of the Betty White Show, which already gives her gobbs more leadership experience.

I think DADT was working. Clearly those enlisted and officers were able to get to the point were they were before they were discharged. And it is very unlikely they kept their gayness to themselves for years living in close quarters. Something happened somewhere to get these people publicaly to be known as gay.

So, is it the policy, or is it that these people broke the policy? Someone must have "Told", or "Asked" for these people to have been discharged. Since any NCO or Officer who got accused of "Ask"ing, would have a blot on their record, I'm inclinded to believe that these people simply, "Told".

I am not against ending DADT, but don't call discrimination for people who, on the face of it, in the main, wanted to be separated from the military.

I worked for years with several gays in several units and I just left them to their business, and they left me to mine. That is the essense of DADT.

Edited by DieChecker