Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan Shoots for Robotic Moon Base by 2020

thefinalfrontier

These ARE the droids we've been looking for. The Japanese space agency, JAXA, has plans to build a base on the Moon by 2020. Not for humans, but for robots, and built by robots, too. A panel authorized by Japan's prime minister has drawn up preliminary plans of how humanoid and rover robots will begin surveying the moon by 2015, and then begin construction of a base near the south pole of the moon.

arrow3.gifRead more...

lunar-base-580x434.jpg

Concept drawing of a robotic lunar base. Credit: JAXA

Moon_base_robot_1_270x295.jpg

Moon base robot. Credit: JAXA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thefinalfrontier

• The Silver Thong

• Larving

• 27vet

Top Posters In This Topic

What fun is that, sending robots there? :sleepy:

Ambitious. :blink:

But of course it pushes forward the inevitable discussion of who owns the moon.

Edited by Larving

I believe the moon colony will one day become a nation by itself, no matter where the colonists used to come from, they will form their own country, their own economy, and sustain themselves independently.

Well, now that Obama cancelled NASA's program to return people to the moon, we have no choice but to sit back and watch Japan and China take over space exploration. With their robots. Apparently the US government feels that sending a manned mission to an asteroid by 2025 is now more important. How exciting.

Ambitious. :blink:

But of course it pushes forward the inevitable discussion of who owns the moon.

No single nation or individual owns the moon, see sorce below,

Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States

in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including

the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies

The Outer Space Treaty was considered by the Legal Subcommittee in 1966 and agreement was reached in the General Assembly in the same year ( resolution 2222 (XXI). The Treaty was largely based on the Declaration of Legal Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, which had been adopted by the General Assembly in its resolution 1962 (XVIII) in 1963, but added a few new provisions. The Treaty was opened for signature by the three depository Governments (the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States of America) in January 1967, and it entered into force in October 1967. The Outer Space Treaty provides the basic framework on international space law, including the following principles:

SORCE

I'm sure the robots will also be building a base where humans can live as well, at least that would be the smart thing to do.

I'm sure the robots will also be building a base where humans can live as well, at least that would be the smart thing to do.

I think (if memory serves right) that JAXA was going to send man back to the moon in 2030,

I think (if memory serves right) that JAXA was going to send man back to the moon in 2030,

Seems so far away doesn't it ;)

Seems so far away doesn't it ;)

Ya it sure does man, We aint gettin any younger thats for sure, Arrrggggg ill be 71 by then, :w00t:

Ya it sure does man, We aint gettin any younger thats for sure, Arrrggggg ill be 71 by then, :w00t:

Not far behind ya buddy. I was born in 1972 and in my 37 years I have seen some wild stuff. I hope there is more to come. With the shuttle program coming to an end I feel a bit sad as there isn't really anything I have seen in stone that can rival that, yet ;)

Count me in guys... I need another manned mission to the moon in my lifetime. :sk