Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gunther 'Dr Death' von Hagens opens his shop

Still Waters

What am I bid for an arm? Or even a leg?

Bizarre as it sounds, a variety of human and animal body parts are now on sale at a shop opened by controversial German anatomist Gunther von Hagens.

A chunk of a human head will set you back £1,400 while a cross-section of human body costs £14,000.

Dubbed 'Dr Death' by the media in his native country with a 'cabinet of horrors', for sale he has promised the items will only be sold to medical professionals.

Dr von Hagens made his fortune after he developed technique for preserving biological tissue specimens called with a special plastic solution called plastination.

His touring exhibits of human and animal body parts are believed to have been seen by 130million people around the world.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyWeather

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Still Waters

• Samuronin

This guy's awesome. A bit creepy, but I guess that's inevitable when you're obsessed with how organic-machines function :P .

This Dr. has a very Ed Gein-ish feel to his practice. O_o'

Weird morbid stuff here....not gonna buy any of those :P

I always thought that this guy was a visionary, but a generation too late. His plastination came about right about the same time 3D computer modeling started to come into its own. Still, his creations do have a lot of use, it just wouldn't be as widespread in the medical field as it might have otherwise been.

How about an open shop of stem cell lab? :devil:

This Dr. has a very Ed Gein-ish feel to his practice. O_o'

Sure does! I certainly wouldn't like a piece of his work on display in my house. :o

I have no problem with him selling his works for medical research. Human parts on sale to the general public would not be right.

However animal cadavers are another story completely, People have dead animals mounted all the time fish, raccoons, deer, ducks to name a few. It's still kinda morbid but to each their own.

Most all of us in one way or another use dead animal parts from shoes and belts to furniture, coats, face creams and makeup. Just because it does not look like an animal we dont really think about it

Edited by mfrmboy

Anyone else notice that he looks like "Freddy" from 'Nightmare on Elmstreet?' :unsure2: