Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth: Pacific Northwest Megaquake

sean6

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• sean6

• Siara

• Insaniac

Things just keep getting worse.

Might be in the 50 years this quake takes place so it may never happen anyway.

Thanks.

Edited by Insaniac

I hope to God it doesn't happen until some of our other problems settle down. Can you imagine what it would be like if an 8.5 earthquake happened tomorrow?

Sometimes I wonder, aren't all the little quakes that we have a releasing of tension in the earth, so that a mega-quake is less likely?

A Quake with a strength of 8.5? PRETTY DARN SCARY! It would not only bring catastrophe on places near the epicenter but it will also bring more from creating a tsunami and devastate those that are hit. Hope they're predictions are off by a hundred or so years.

They've been been saying that for years and my rock is still here. Although I live in a house built in the 30's or so.... makes me nervous!

Worst case would be a mega quake that ranges from Alaska through Canada all the way to Mexico. Thats how long the fault line is. The entire western coast of North America would be in shambles. I hope it never happens but as we know it will happen one day. Not knowing when is the scary part.

Edited by The Silver Thong

I live in new york hope i dont have to move lol

Rising sea levels might force you to depending on where you live in New York state.. No Earthquake required. It's the volcanoes the world has to worry about or contend with.

Worst case would be a mega quake that ranges from Alaska through Canada all the way to Mexico. Thats how long the fault line is. The entire western coast of North America would be in shambles. I hope it never happens but as we know it will happen one day. Not knowing when is the scary part.

It's all an extended San Andreas network actually. It's a bit like a long web of fault lines that are connected to each other. As a matter of fact, my hometown sits on one of the larger (though relatively quiet) northern direct branches of the San Andreas itself.

It's all an extended San Andreas network actually. It's a bit like a long web of fault lines that are connected to each other. As a matter of fact, my hometown sits on one of the larger (though relatively quiet) northern direct branches of the San Andreas itself.

Bingo, and that web like any other you can't break one strand with out disrupting the others. The west coast should make themselves more ready for such a thing.

Bingo, and that web like any other you can't break one strand with out disrupting the others. The west coast should make themselves more ready for such a thing.

Why would someone build their home on a fault line?

Its like building it on the side of a volcano. Ludicrus.

It might not wipe out your generation but sooner or later it well get all the people living in the area.

Why would someone build their home on a fault line?

Its like building it on the side of a volcano. Ludicrus.

It might not wipe out your generation but sooner or later it well get all the people living in the area.

To be fair when these cities that did build on the fault line didn't quit understand what they were getting into. I'm glad I live in one of the most geographicaly stable parts on the planet. Oh damn. I forgot about the super volcano in Yellow Stone. Damit not one of us are safe.

Edited by The Silver Thong

To be fair when these cities that did build on the fault line didn't quit understand what they were getting into. I'm glad I live in one of the most geographicaly stable parts on the planet. Oh damn. I forgot about the super volcano in Yellow Stone. Damit not one of us are safe.

Yeah, I live not far from Yellowstone Park(about 150-200 miles I think)

I heard on PBS that that super volcano eruption cycle is something like 600,000 years, and it's been +640,000 years since the last eruption.

Scientist there have for years detected a "bulging" of the magma dome.

I also heard that it is the largest super volcano on earth(it's all underground

If it goes I can pretty much kiss my ash goodbye.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic.

The San Andreas situation is potentially just as bad, if not more so.

The world's set up so no one can just sit back and say, "Yup, I'm safe!" As for this one, we've already had a small series of quakes so far this year. We'll have to see what develops later on.

I read a "time" article a few months back that said California is the future for America like financially and technologically (and yes i know that California is in debt i think or something) wise. If the San Andreas went California... well.. it would not be a nice place to be. I understand some states and countries have measures in place. But a major earthquake in America japan etc would be devastating and if it happened now coming off a financial crisis it would be scary world wide.

NY ain't safe. There is a fault line that's just outside the town I grew up in. That being said.. it also gets hit by the occational hurricanes, buried under snow in winter from Noreasters, and yeah riseing sea levels will take care of the coast areas.

As for here.. can just bet they won't have the viatuct done before it hits =P They keep floundering on it.