Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If you can prove your abilities...

over9millionyearsold

Well that's idiotic. Someone can believe they're Napoleon sent back by God to cleanse earth of dairy produce. Do you mean that what this person lives through (ie what he experiences) is more trustworthy than a scientific model that shows they are insane?

*sigh*

I thought I'd deleted the blog about my "Dairy Crusade" before anyone had the chance to read it...

:(

Anyone who knows my posts here will be surprised by me even posting this link.....

Read it all please , you may be surprised.....I do not know exactly what to say about it .I will leave it at that :)

real find

Anyone who knows my posts here will be surprised by me even posting this link.....

Read it all please , you may be surprised.....I do not know exactly what to say about it .I will leave it at that :)

real find

Think they got lucky to be honest. Most storage buildings are white, and storage seems a likely place for a title. Don't think Randi organization would have much to work with on that one. Tests need precise results, which I haven't seen yet.

Edited by Jerry Only

I think some psychics are real and some "psychics" are fake and off to make a quick buck off some gullible people. I've seen paranormal phenomena work in my life, and I think I am a pretty scientific person so in each case I've ruled out other rational explanations.

With regards to James Randi, I think his efforts are good in exposing the fakes, but I think he also does disservice to the real psychics by discrediting ALL psychics and already considering from the start that paranormal phenomena is impossible.

I think it's very possible that James Randi himself has some paranormal ability. I think he is successful in keeping his one million dollars because he uses his own psychic abilities to suppress the results of the real psychics who approach him to take a test.

I love how people say "Even if i did take the challenge he would rig it up so i'd lose" or "oh, we're not in it for the money anyway". He might not be the most honest man (hell, he could be a complete crook for all i know), but if you had genuine 'powers' that could not be faked then there's no way he could rig it up.

You are all making excuses because you claim to be able to do things you cannot.

Care to prove me wrong? i'd love that. Enter the damn challenge, when you win, turn down the million $ prize.

You don't make a profit and the world finds out your powers are real. win win!

I love how people say "Even if i did take the challenge he would rig it up so i'd lose" or "oh, we're not in it for the money anyway". He might not be the most honest man (hell, he could be a complete crook for all i know), but if you had genuine 'powers' that could not be faked then there's no way he could rig it up.

You are all making excuses because you claim to be able to do things you cannot.

Care to prove me wrong? i'd love that. Enter the damn challenge, when you win, turn down the million $ prize.

You don't make a profit and the world finds out your powers are real. win win!

The claimant has everything to lose. The Randi foundation publishes EVERYTHING, so if it's rigged then the psychic, no matter how genuine he is, loses face. Remember it is Randi who is on top of things, not the claimant, so even if the powers cannot be faked, then Randi and his gang are gonna look for a way to make it look fake. The people are listening to them and their website, not to the claimant.

Add to that the possibility (which I already mentioned) about Randi being a psychic himself and using his (substantial) powers to suppress or affect the results and make it look like the claimant doesn't have paranormal powers.

The claimant has everything to lose. The Randi foundation publishes EVERYTHING, so if it's rigged then the psychic, no matter how genuine he is, loses face. Remember it is Randi who is on top of things, not the claimant, so even if the powers cannot be faked, then Randi and his gang are gonna look for a way to make it look fake. The people are listening to them and their website, not to the claimant.

Add to that the possibility (which I already mentioned) about Randi being a psychic himself and using his (substantial) powers to suppress or affect the results and make it look like the claimant doesn't have paranormal powers.

You have so little faith in your "abilities" that you think he could rig them so easily?

You have so little faith in your "abilities" that you think he could rig them so easily?

Not easily, but yeah, he can rig them. It's possible to rig a test. Especially by somebody as deceptive as Randi. Besides, human beings are just in that stage of revisiting their psychic abilities so whoever have psychic abilities are fairly limited and the physical world still wins over whatever psychic abilities we have.

With regards to James Randi, I think his efforts are good in exposing the fakes, but I think he also does disservice to the real psychics by discrediting ALL psychics and already considering from the start that paranormal phenomena is impossible.

It may be a disservice, but his intentions are understandable. He was a magician whose profession was built on fooling people. It is understandable how he would like to show how he thinks they are faking. He has become jaded due to all he knows.

Not easily, but yeah, he can rig them. It's possible to rig a test. Especially by somebody as deceptive as Randi. Besides, human beings are just in that stage of revisiting their psychic abilities so whoever have psychic abilities are fairly limited and the physical world still wins over whatever psychic abilities we have.

I see. They're pretty useless then?

People can rig tests, yes, but why would they want to?

In fact, prove to me right now that you have psychic abilities then I will send you £200 via paypal. What do you say?

Let's put it this way. Let's say there's this man who has psychic ability to predict the outcome of dice. And then he goes out and tries the Randi challenge. Well, let's say chance provides that he is able to guess the dice at 1/6 per dice. Then he tries the test, he is able to predict at 5/6, which is 5x what chance provides. That is very good.

So what does Randi say? Okay, predict the outcome for 2 dice thrown at the same time. That's 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36. The man tries again, makes 20/36. That's still pretty good, but not as good as 5/6 x 5/6.

So Randi tries out 3 dice, and then 4 dice, and increasing. Until the man does not do as good as what chance provides and Randi says, okay, this guy is just not psychic, he only does as good as what chance makes him.

And now the poor guy becomes fodder for fun and laughter by Jamees Randi and his evil foundation.

Does that mean the guy is not psychic? No. But somehow when additional dice were put into the test, the man somehow fails. Maybe he's reached the limit of his ability. Maybe he can only focus well on one dice at a time.

What is wrong with psychic tests like this is they assume the psychic powers are unlimited. You have TK powers? Okay, why don't you lift this bench? You have telepathy? Okay, why don't you read my mind even if we live many miles away from each other? And so on. They don't count that TK powers may have limit in the distance and the weight that they can lift. They don't count that telepathy also has its limits.

And that's just assuming that Randi does not rig the tests.

I see. They're pretty useless then?

People can rig tests, yes, but why would they want to?

In fact, prove to me right now that you have psychic abilities then I will send you £200 via paypal. What do you say?

Exactly what I mean (see my previous post).

Let's put it this way. Let's say there's this man who has psychic ability to predict the outcome of dice. And then he goes out and tries the Randi challenge. Well, let's say chance provides that he is able to guess the dice at 1/6 per dice. Then he tries the test, he is able to predict at 5/6, which is 5x what chance provides. That is very good.

So what does Randi say? Okay, predict the outcome for 2 dice thrown at the same time. That's 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36. The man tries again, makes 20/36. That's still pretty good, but not as good as 5/6 x 5/6.

So Randi tries out 3 dice, and then 4 dice, and increasing. Until the man does not do as good as what chance provides and Randi says, okay, this guy is just not psychic, he only does as good as what chance makes him.

And now the poor guy becomes fodder for fun and laughter by Jamees Randi and his evil foundation.

Does that mean the guy is not psychic? No. But somehow when additional dice were put into the test, the man somehow fails. Maybe he's reached the limit of his ability. Maybe he can only focus well on one dice at a time.

What is wrong with psychic tests like this is they assume the psychic powers are unlimited. You have TK powers? Okay, why don't you lift this bench? You have telepathy? Okay, why don't you read my mind even if we live many miles away from each other? And so on. They don't count that TK powers may have limit in the distance and the weight that they can lift. They don't count that telepathy also has its limits.

So what you're saying is you DO have psychic powers, there is just no way you can possibly prove it to me. Well, isn't that convenient.

And what if that guy said "look i have psychic powers, i can predict the outcome of 1 dice every single time it is rolled", that would be good enough for me. I mean EVERY single time. Why every single time? Because, as chance dictates, i should be able to guess the correct number 1/6 times. So if i roll the dice 24 times will i guess it right 4 times? Probably not. I might not get it right at all. I might get it right 24 times. Hell, if he got it right 20 times out of 24, i'd probably accept that!

And don't get me wrong, i don't expect for 1 second that being psychic means you have unlimited abilities. I do, however, expect you to be able to do SOMETHING. Yet i see no evidence for it at all, and no one seems to want (or be able) to provide me with any.

So, I'll ask again. £200 on the table. What do you say?

Edited by Insignia

First of all, the strict rules and regulations for this contest, if you managed to look at the contest's forum, are well created and set in stone before any of the test, by both Randi organization and the testee. In your example, I can tell you how it would go. You can check for yourself on the site to see each contest taker's test creating process as it plays out with Randi and company:

The testee claims he can correctly detect the number of a die in another room out of his sight. Randi camp offers that 1 die being correctly guessed is a 1 in 6 chance. They offer a change to the rules saying he has to correctly guess the numbers of 10 dice as they are rolled out onto a table. The testee offers a compromise to correctly guess 10 dice numbers 1 at a time. This is how the process goes. It is done this way beforehand for all to see to ensure it is fair rules to both the claimant and Randi camp.

I also find a problem with you trying to explain to us how psychic powers work, as I doubt you have the credentials to.

Yeah, and I know, that's assuming it isn't rigged. That's assuming my reply to you isn't rigged. That's assuming my day tomorrow isn't rigged. That's assuming life isn't rigged.

Edited by Jerry Only

So here's my ability: to foresee things. But I can't do it at will. The vision just comes into my head, at random, before the event happens. But when it comes, the occurrence is just startling.

So when I was a kid, 5th grade, I foresaw that my classmate would die in an accident. What do you know, it did happen, on the date that I foresaw it would happen.

I also foresaw that my teacher is gonna give birth to twins (a boy and a girl). It also happened on the exact date that I foresaw it would happen.

I also foresaw when the Pope would die. I had the vision 2 years before it happened. I got the date exact again.

But it's so random. So when you ask me what is gonna happen to you, I can't tell you that right now because I can't turn on/off my abilities. Growing up, it wasn't any help for me when it came to exams, either.

So here's my ability: to foresee things.

But its absolutely pointless to tell us any of this unless you can prove it.

But its absolutely pointless to tell us any of this unless you can prove it.

Agreed. That's a pretty easy one to prove too.

Next time you have a premonition (about current world affairs: Pope dying, or whatever) tell us about it and about what will happen in advance.

Being able to predict things like this seems like it would be incredibly useful for society (maybe reducing the death toll in a natural disaster, for example) yet you just keep quiet and watch it happen. That sounds quite selfish to me.

Agreed. That's a pretty easy one to prove too.

Next time you have a premonition (about current world affairs: Pope dying, or whatever) tell us about it and about what will happen in advance.

Being able to predict things like this seems like it would be incredibly useful for society (maybe reducing the death toll in a natural disaster, for example) yet you just keep quiet and watch it happen. That sounds quite selfish to me.

Okay. I'll let you know about it when it happens. By the way, I've decided to start a dream blog on this forum. My first entry is pretty senseless (it's a dream about cows and pig and makes absolutely no sense). If a premonition comes to me (I can sift through the senseless stuff since the premonitions feel different from the imaginations), then I'll also write it there, and I'll also let you know. Thanks.

Okay. I'll let you know about it when it happens. By the way, I've decided to start a dream blog on this forum. My first entry is pretty senseless (it's a dream about cows and pig and makes absolutely no sense). If a premonition comes to me (I can sift through the senseless stuff since the premonitions feel different from the imaginations), then I'll also write it there, and I'll also let you know. Thanks.

Cool, I look forward to it :)

So here's my ability: to foresee things. But I can't do it at will. The vision just comes into my head, at random, before the event happens. But when it comes, the occurrence is just startling.

So when I was a kid, 5th grade, I foresaw that my classmate would die in an accident. What do you know, it did happen, on the date that I foresaw it would happen.

I also foresaw that my teacher is gonna give birth to twins (a boy and a girl). It also happened on the exact date that I foresaw it would happen.

I also foresaw when the Pope would die. I had the vision 2 years before it happened. I got the date exact again.

But it's so random. So when you ask me what is gonna happen to you, I can't tell you that right now because I can't turn on/off my abilities. Growing up, it wasn't any help for me when it came to exams, either.

Then it can't be proven, unfortunately for you. These tests are designed to be undeniable proof.

• 6 months later...

Even if they do get someone who can, they'll make excuses for it or ignore it and say it never happened.

You can't make someone admit something orally if they don't want to. There is no way to grab ahold of somebody and shake them "I KNOW YOU HEARD ME THINK SATAN DRINKS CHERRY KOOLAID"

The people associated with the challenge will never admit to anything that will go against their position.

You can't make someone admit something orally if they don't want to. There is no way to grab ahold of somebody and shake them "I KNOW YOU HEARD ME THINK SATAN DRINKS CHERRY KOOLAID"

The people associated with the challenge will never admit to anything that will go against their position.

The Randi Challenge is over with , done , not around anymore....

There are plenty of others though....

The Randi Challenge is over with , done , not around anymore....

There are plenty of others though....

Ya I know sorry I was drunk... I usually wouldn't have replied to such an old post.

• 6 months later...

Is it really over? You can download the application... Anyway, I read a whole article about an actual scientist and some of his students who wished to take the challenge. I don't know his name but he was of a somewhat high profile. After he found out what needed to be done for the "preliminaries", he was very upset with Randi. The subject would be observed for about a year and a half every single day demonstrating their abilities. He also "demanded an outcome of 1000000:1. Even 800000:1 would be considered extraordinary, however 800000:1 according to randy is 'a failure"

I know Randi wants proof, but I think that was being a little unfair, don't you think? All that work and after a year and a half, I only just now get to the formal test? It wasn't ever worth the million. Even if someone demonstrated genuine psycic abilities, they still would never get the money.