Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctors to be able to 'print' new organs for

Still Waters

Doctors might one day be able to ‘print’ the living body parts they need for surgery, including blood vessels and entire organs.

The astonishing breakthrough is known as bio-printing and it could make the transplant list a thing of the past.

Currently patients on the transplant list have to wait months or even years before a suitable organ becomes available.

But the 3D bio-printer, developed by US firm Organovo, is already capable of growing arteries and its developers say that arteries ‘printed’ by the device could be used in heart bypass surgery in as little as five years.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BaneSilvermoon

• J.B.

• Father Of Evolution

• Psycho78

So does this mean that if a zombie virus ever came along, we'd be able to control their population by printing a bunch of brains?

That is awsome ! It seems like I remember reading about this some time ago in a science mag. Wow it would be so great to get a new insulin producing pancreas !

Does this sounds like "Stem Cells"? correct me If I'm wrong. :blush:

So does this mean that if a zombie virus ever came along, we'd be able to control their population by printing a bunch of brains?

Do we have to wait for a zombie uprising to start printing brains?

Maybe we can plant them in the terrorists located at airport brain screenings of the fuh-fuh-fuh-future!

That is awsome ! It seems like I remember reading about this some time ago in a science mag. Wow it would be so great to get a new insulin producing pancreas !

Might work for some Diabetics. Wouldn't do any good for those who have normal insulin levels and have become insulin resistant though.

I could use a replacement Gall Bladder myself.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

Discovery Channel had a program about future technologies in every facet of life, and this was part of the healthcare segment. It's encouraging to see this is finally making it into the news, means they're making progress.

Wow, welcome to last year. This was on Opera Like last year its already being done.....so I really don't know why they would say a decade, but in any case yes very cool. Be prepared for some serious medical breakthroughs in the next 10 years!!!!