Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass extinction

redhen

There are some, nurse shark for example are known from that period (the oldest fossils of this species are 112 million years old.

perhaps but they too have evolved. right along with the horse shoe crab. the oldest surviver not counting the single celled ones.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• danielost

• SlippySlug

• Astute One

That was meant to read have, not haven't. My error.

lets see wooly mammoth, american rhino, the giant sloth, the sabor tooth, the america horse now dont go tell me that the americans at the time wiped all of these animals out but some how the grizzly, the american bison, the moose amongst others survived.

modern day animals although we get blamed the dodo bird since it was on it's way out anyways, maybe. you see of the animals that are extinct after man shows up, we get blamed for them all or 99% of them.

lets see wooly mammoth, american rhino, the giant sloth, the sabor tooth, the america horse now dont go tell me that the americans at the time wiped all of these animals out but some how the grizzly, the american bison, the moose amongst others survived.

modern day animals although we get blamed the dodo bird since it was on it's way out anyways, maybe. you see of the animals that are extinct after man shows up, we get blamed for them all or 99% of them.

What a silly argument, these creatures survived so it couldn't have been man's influence? That is ridiculous and utterly 1 dimensional as a view to understand extinction and ecology. The moose and the brown bear are found elsewhere outside of North America too you know. The extinction of quite a few N.A species however does coincide with the arrival of humans in North America.

Because it is more than obvious we are responsible that is, denying it is just ridiculous.

There is no evidence that the dodo was in decline before we destroyed it.

Stellar's sea cow was wiped out in ten years of its discovery.

We recently destroyed the Yangtze river dolphin.

perhaps but they too have evolved. right along with the horse shoe crab. the oldest surviver not counting the single celled ones.

Probably, still the same species though.

What a silly argument, these creatures survived so it couldn't have been man's influence? That is ridiculous and utterly 1 dimensional as a view to understand extinction and ecology. The moose and the brown bear are found elsewhere outside of North America too you know. The extinction of quite a few N.A species however does coincide with the arrival of humans in North America.

Because it is more than obvious we are responsible that is, denying it is just ridiculous.

There is no evidence that the dodo was in decline before we destroyed it.

Stellar's sea cow was wiped out in ten years of its discovery.

We recently destroyed the Yangtze river dolphin.

Probably, still the same species though.

im sorry but i guess i am wrong about the plains indians hunting buffolo almost exclusively. besides their, science, is saying that it was an astroid or comet strike that killed these animals off.

im sorry but i guess i am wrong about the plains indians hunting buffolo almost exclusively. besides their, science, is saying that it was an astroid or comet strike that killed these animals off.

Well if you ignore population levels and level of hunting. You are still looking at this in a very one dimensional way.

No, that is a completely unsupported hypothesis. It is not generally accepted in science in the slightest.

I think overpopulation of the human race plays a big role.

your spot on. that's what it boils down to. the worlds population has tripled in the last 50 years. eventually we'll become victims of our own success. mother nature will see us off. with 99% of all life that as ever existed on earth now extinct, the odds are we'll go the same way.

your spot on. that's what it boils down to. the worlds population has tripled in the last 50 years. eventually we'll become victims of our own success. mother nature will see us off. with 99% of all life that as ever existed on earth now extinct, the odds are we'll go the same way.

Yes, lets hope Tom Hicks and George Gillette lead the way.

Yes, lets hope Tom Hicks and George Gillette lead the way.

:tu: seen the price tag the cowboys come up with 600 million. whose going to pay that?. hopefully king Kenny takes over as manager along with Tommo,rushie and in the long run somehow we put together a fans consortium, to buy the club, like the spirit of shankly group propose, were fans like you and me buy a share in the club that can never be sold. (only transferred) and importantly get a few scousers in the team. a city our size can produce four or five great players easy. time to get the heart and soul back into the club.

Edited by stevewinn

How many plants and animals are on the endangered species list? About 17,000?(please correct me if I'm wrong) If they all disappeared tomorrow, it would barely cause a one percent difference from an estimate of 1.5 million species currently on earth.

Sure there's plenty of other species, but the ones that are most endangered are the large animals. The population of the top predators is a good indicator of ecological health. By that inference we can conclude that we have a sick planet.

Anyways, the loss of any species is our loss. The loss of biodiversity (also caused by mono-agriculture) is like sawing off the branch limb we're sitting on.

Well if you ignore population levels and level of hunting. You are still looking at this in a very one dimensional way.

No, that is a completely unsupported hypothesis. It is not generally accepted in science in the slightest.

of course not, it takes man out of the picture. tell me what happened to those mammoths that were frozen whole and so quickly that their last meal is still in their stomach. i know it was man.

of course not, it takes man out of the picture. tell me what happened to those mammoths that were frozen whole and so quickly that their last meal is still in their stomach. i know it was man.

So, you think a meteor strike would freeze them :unsure2:

i dont think there are any actual species living today that was living at that time. the closest to it would be the crocs. but even they have evolved over the period.

That wasn't exactly what I was asking. I was looking for a rough estimate of the number of species alive at that time.

Edited by SlippySlug