Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

List of Goods Banned in Gaza

Rosewin

Details of Gaza blockade revealed in court case

In January, Gisha, took the Israeli authorities to court, to try to force them to provide the information.

Now, after several months' waiting, the state has given its response to the court, in a written submission, seen by the BBC.

It throws a small pool of light on the process behind the blockade.

The overall rationale is set out, in bold type: "The limitation on the transfer of goods is a central pillar in the means at the disposal of the State of Israel in the armed conflict between it and Hamas."

The Israeli authorities also confirm the existence of four documents related to how the blockade works: how they process requests for imports into Gaza, how they monitor the shortages within Gaza, their approved list of what is allowed in, and a document entitled "Food Consumption in the Gaza Strip - Red Lines" which sets out the minimum calorie intake needed by Gaza's million and a half inhabitants, according to their age and sex.

This paper was however, the state insists, just a draft power-point presentation, used for "internal planning work", which "never served as a basis for the policy of the authority".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8654337.stm

It is almost like a science of how to make a population miserable without killing them. Tis certain one day social scientist will adapt a term for it.

Here is a partial list of items that Israel still denies the population of Gaza:

• sage
  • cardamom
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • ginger
  • jam
  • halva
  • vinegar
  • nutmeg
  • chocolate
  • fruit preserves
  • seeds and nuts
  • biscuits and sweets
  • potato chips
  • gas for soft drinks
  • dried fruit
  • fresh meat
  • plaster
  • tar
  • wood for construction
  • cement
  • iron
  • glucose
  • industrial salt
  • plastic/glass/metal containers
  • industrial margarine
  • tarpaulin sheets for huts
  • fabric (for clothing)
  • flavor and smell enhancers
  • fishing rods
  • various fishing nets
  • buoys
  • ropes for fishing
  • nylon nets for greenhouses
  • hatcheries and spare parts for hatcheries
  • spare parts for tractors
  • dairies for cowsheds
  • irrigation pipe systems
  • ropes to tie greenhouses
  • planters for saplings
  • heaters for chicken farms
  • musical instruments
  • size A4 paper
  • writing implements
  • notebooks
  • newspapers
  • toys
  • razors
  • sewing machines and spare parts
  • heaters
  • horses
  • donkeys
  • goats
  • cattle
  • chicks

http://imeu.net/news/article0019136.shtml

These are items which have only recently been allowed and the date they were allowed but which the people of Gaza have had to do without for a good while.

• In the 1st half 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • wheat
  • animal feed
  • flour
  • cooking oil
  • cooking fat
  • sugar
  • salt
  • pasta
  • dates
  • garlic
  • chick peas
  • rice
  • beans
  • lentils
  • kidney beans
  • margarine
  • dairy products
  • powdered milk
  • frozen meat and fish
  • frozen vegetables
  • animal medicines
  • gas for medical use
  • empty bags for flour
  • medicines and medical equipment
  • female hygiene products
  • nappies (diapers)
  • toilet paper
  • detergent
  • washing liquid
  • shampoo
  • soap
  • toothpaste
  • toothbrushes
  • cleaning products for tiles
  • cleaning products for glass
  • toilet-cleaner
  • yeast
  • fertilised eggs
  • fruit
  • semolina
    In June 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • polythene for greenhouses
  • agricultural materials
    In October 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • tea
  • coffee
    In November 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • instant coffee
  • canned tuna
  • salami
  • canned meat
  • washing-up sponges
  • bath sponges
  • cloths for mopping the floor
  • baby wipes
  • other canned goods, with the exception of tinned fruit
  • zaatar (dried herb mix)
  • sesame seeds
  • black pepper
  • chicken stock powder
  • blankets
    In December 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • olives
  • matches
  • candles
  • sticks for brooms
  • rubbish bins
  • mops
  • hand-cleansing gel
  • aniseed
  • cinnamon
  • camomile
  • unfertilised eggs
  • glass (to a maximum of 200 trucks)
  • water-dispensers
  • potatoes
    In February 2010 the following was finally allowed in
  • mineral water
    In March 2010 the following was finally allowed in
  • tahini (sesame paste)
  • combs
  • hair brushes
  • clothes
  • shoes
    In April 2010 the following was finally allowed in
  • wood (for doorposts and window frames)
  • aluminium
  • kitchenware

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_04_10_gaza.pdf

The Israeli human rights organization Gisha provides the following example of how the blockade aims to prevent economic development: "Israel permits Gaza residents to receive small packets of margarine, considered a consumption item. Israel bans, however, the transfer of large buckets of margarine, because the buckets are designed for industrial use, rather than home consumption, meaning that they could be used to allow a local factory to produce biscuits - and thus engage in economic activity. Similarly, requests to permit empty cans into Gaza - intended for the preservation and marketing of Gaza-produced tomato paste - have been refused, but requests to transfer prepared, Israeli-made tomato paste are permitted."
Edited by Rosewin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Monkey

• preacherman76

• susieice

• danielost

Top Posters In This Topic

The title is misleading. One would think you're referring to what Hamas allows and doesn't allow in Gaza. Israel hasn't banned anything in Gaza, I believe; they simply banned certain things from crossing the Israeli border into Gaza.

Israel really has no obligation to let anything cross its border and into Gaza. So if you're outraged by what Gazans don't have, maybe you should take it up with Egypt, since they're Arabs and Muslims just like their fellow Gazans, not to mention they controlled the Strip from 1948 to 1967.

A few more facts regarding the blockade:

• 10 percent of children under five are stunted (low height for age, usually attributed to a chronic lack of protein and micronutrients, including iron and essential vitamins), a steadily increasing trend over recent years, according to UNICEF.
  • More than 10 percent of children are chronically malnourished, according to the World Health Organization, a significant increase since siege began.
  • The number of children under five suffering from acute malnutrition nearly doubled between 2006 and 2008 from 1.4 to 2.4 percent, according to UNICEF
  • 65 percent of children aged 9-12 months, and 35 percent of pregnant women are anemic.

Is Israel's blockade of Gaza legal?

No. The stated aim of Israel's blockade is to apply "pressure" or "sanctions" to weaken the economy of Gaza and decrease support for Hamas. [1] This amounts to collective punishment of Gaza's civilians, and as such is a violation of international humanitarian law (Article 33 of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949). Further, as an occupying power, Israel is required under Articles 55, 59 and 60 of the Fourth Geneva Convention to ensure free, unimpeded passage of humanitarian relief and is prohibited from impeding the full realization of the occupied people's human rights. Israel's blockade impedes Gazans' rights to food, to an adequate standard of living, to work, and to the highest attainable standard of health.

Spices? snack foods? fishing rods? So on. Why? What harm to security could they pose? Baby wipes? Diapers? Why? Blankets or cloth for clothing. These are the bare minimums for life.

Can we see the list of banned items at the egyptian border please ? If it is shorter than the israeli list maybe it would be another reason to bring aid in through there.

Sorry but that just isnt defendable. If if cant be used as a weapon, it should be allowed. There is only one reason to denie them these products, for evil intentions.

Sorry but that just isnt defendable. If if cant be used as a weapon, it should be allowed. There is only one reason to denie them these products, for evil intentions.

Why should Israel hand over anything that is beyond Geneva conventions for their enemy to distribute like Santa Claus ? I don't even see why Israel has any responsibility even to meet any conventions at all as there is another border so again, for the 100th time, let all these and more in through Egypt...remove all and any reliance on Israel for anything at all. No connection, no border crossings at all...just lock that door and throw the key away.

WOW what a horrible situation. Its so wrong to deny them all those things. and a lot of people dont realize how much of tht we take for granted yet these poeple have lost there rights to these things. so sad so horrible. God bless them.

Why should Israel hand over anything that is beyond Geneva conventions for their enemy to distribute like Santa Claus ? I don't even see why Israel has any responsibility even to meet any conventions at all as there is another border so again, for the 100th time, let all these and more in through Egypt...remove all and any reliance on Israel for anything at all. No connection, no border crossings at all...just lock that door and throw the key away.

Then following that charitable statement, and extending your logic, Israel MUST give them independance as a sovereign nation.

Edited by keithisco

Im not say Egypt is any less responcible. Nor am I saying Israel should "hand over" anything. What Im saying is if another country wants to supply these goods to the palistinians, who the hell is Israel, or anyone, to denie it to them?

Look at that list Brother. What possible reason could there be to denie these people these products? Why Leave Gaza at all if this was your intentions for the people you knew you were handing it over to?

I support Israel. I fully believe in thier right to block all weapons, by any means nesessary. I just cant possibly see any reason for this, other than to just p*** the world off.

I just cant possibly see any reason for this, other than to just p*** the world off.

The reason was made clear in February 2006 when an adviser to Ariel Sharon said, "The idea is to put the Palestinians on a diet but not to make them die of hunger." Keep in mind that this diet has led to condition where '65 percent of children aged 9-12 months, and 35 percent of pregnant women are anemic.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/16/israel

Edited by Rosewin

The reason was made clear in February 2006 when an adviser to Ariel Sharon said, "The idea is to put the Palestinians on a diet but not to make them die of hunger." Keep in mind that this diet has led to condition where '65 percent of children aged 9-12 months, and 35 percent of pregnant women are anemic.'

I didnt believe it when you posted it. Im starting to think otherwise now.

Removing any shred of morality for a moment, I guess I can kinda see the point. Israel wants to keep the palistinians down, so they might elect a more friendly leadership tward Israel next time around. But even that thinking is flawed, being that Hamas will never give up power, and they have the palistinians by the throat at least as much as Israel does. There is no hope for a uprising.

There is also a ligit point being raised concerning Egypt. Who is just as responcible as Israel for this mess. All the supplies in the world could be brought through Egypt. I think they are under pressure from other arab countries, who have just as much at stake as Israel does, to denie the palistinians. If the Palistinians are well fed, the arabs would have nothing to bring to the world to b**** about Israel. You never hear about Egypts involment in all this at UN meetings? How could that possibly be?

Egypt built the wall most likely because of American and Israeli pressure. The US Army Corp of Engineers helped build the steel wall that has been erected to stop the smuggling. I do not understand why some are pretending that every Muslim country is the same and they are all united. They are not.

Egypt built the wall most likely because of American and Israeli pressure. The US Army Corp of Engineers helped build the steel wall that has been erected to stop the smuggling. I do not understand why some are pretending that every Muslim country is the same and they are all united. They are not.

No, they are not all the same. But a good % of them openly hate the existance of Israel. And it may be so, that Egypt was pressured by Israel and the United States to build that wall. But that in no way should let them off the hook. Especialy on the world stage. Egypt, regardless of any pressure, should be held accountable for its decisions, on the same level Israel is held responcible. To do so is hypocritical, and, well, basicaly just a excuse to put all blame on Israel. Egypt is more than capable of making its own decisions, and obviously would have the backing of nearly the entire UN, to open deliveries to the palistinians. That being the case, they should shoulder as much blame. But somehow, they dont. Personaly I think that says alot about whats really going on there.

Israel, Egypt, Hamas, and even the US are all complicit in the suffering of the Gaza population. Israel though who lays claim to the territory and is the occupying power is directly responsible for the population. That is responsible up to the level where it can be held criminally culpable. Moral condemnation is deserved to the rest of the parties involved. People are forgetting one thing though with this Egypt angle and that is even if Egypt allowed open smuggling, it would remain smuggling and thus against the law, UN sponsored agencies who help reconstruct and who can take aid and redistribute it cannot accept smuggled goods. International law is tricky is it not?

Edited by Rosewin

Israel, Egypt, Hamas, and even the US are all complicit in the suffering the Gaza population. Israel though who lays claim to the territory and is the occupying power is directly responsible for the population. That is responsible up to the level where it can be held criminally culpable. Moral condemnation is deserved to the rest of the parties involved. People are forgetting one thing though with this Egypt angle and that is even if Egypt allowed open smuggling, it would remain smuggling and thus against the law, UN sponsored agencies who help reconstruct and who can take aid and redistribute it cannot accept smuggled goods. International law is tricky is it not?

the only time isreal sends in troops is when they get tired of being rocketed. if the palastinians are this bad off. how is hamas coming up with the ability to fire those rockets on an almost daily time frame.

isreal has agreed several times to give up gaza if hamas would stop shooting rockets at them.

Edited by danielost

Israel, Egypt, Hamas, and even the US are all complicit in the suffering the Gaza population. Israel though who lays claim to the territory and is the occupying power is directly responsible for the population. That is responsible up to the level where it can be held criminally culpable. Moral condemnation is deserved to the rest of the parties involved. People are forgetting one thing though with this Egypt angle and that is even if Egypt allowed open smuggling, it would remain smuggling and thus against the law, UN sponsored agencies who help reconstruct and who can take aid and redistribute it cannot accept smuggled goods. International law is tricky is it not?

Rose, let me first say I got nothing but love for ya. And I respect your opinion, even in matters we disagree. But it sounds like you are just hell bent on putting this blame completly on Israel. What blame you give Egypt in one hand, you take back with the other. Israel fully withdrew from Gaza, and in no way is a occupying power there. Israel just happened's to be in a state of war with Hamas, not by thier choosing, but by the open declarations of Hamas's very existance. In turn Israel tightly controls its own boarders. Now dont get me wrong, I think Israel should allow any product that cant be used as a weapon against them. And find it just plan wrong that they dont. But if Egypt really wanted to, it could deliver not smuggled goods, through UN peace keeping forces, in the same exact manor Israel does. Bottom line is, Egypt is just as responcible for this mess. The sooner we figure out why there is no UN resolutions condeming them, as they have Israel, the sooner we get to the bottom of what is really going on there.

Rose, let me first say I got nothing but love for ya. And I respect your opinion, even in matters we disagree. But it sounds like you are just hell bent on putting this blame completly on Israel. What blame you give Egypt in one hand, you take back with the other. Israel fully withdrew from Gaza, and in no way is a occupying power there. Israel just happened's to be in a state of war with Hamas, not by thier choosing, but by the open declarations of Hamas's very existance. In turn Israel tightly controls its own boarders. Now dont get me wrong, I think Israel should allow any product that cant be used as a weapon against them. And find it just plan wrong that they dont. But if Egypt really wanted to, it could deliver not smuggled goods, through UN peace keeping forces, in the same exact manor Israel does. Bottom line is, Egypt is just as responcible for this mess. The sooner we figure out why there is no UN resolutions condeming them, as they have Israel, the sooner we get to the bottom of what is really going on there.

the bible is what is going on here. the world vs isreal.

Then following that charitable statement, and extending your logic, Israel MUST give them independance as a sovereign nation.

Yes, I agree ... buts lets see them show they can perform like a normal autonomous region first, maybe drop that charter thing about destruction of your neighbour as well. Anyhoo they cannot even arrange municipal, legaslative or presidential elections at the moment.

Israel, Egypt, Hamas, and even the US are all complicit in the suffering of the Gaza population. Israel though who lays claim to the territory and is the occupying power is directly responsible for the population. That is responsible up to the level where it can be held criminally culpable. Moral condemnation is deserved to the rest of the parties involved. People are forgetting one thing though with this Egypt angle and that is even if Egypt allowed open smuggling, it would remain smuggling and thus against the law, UN sponsored agencies who help reconstruct and who can take aid and redistribute it cannot accept smuggled goods. International law is tricky is it not?

What are you on about ? What rubbish. Do you even read anything that contradicts your inbuilt opinion ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8654337.stm

It is almost like a science of how to make a population miserable without killing them. Tis certain one day social scientist will adapt a term for it.

Here is a partial list of items that Israel still denies the population of Gaza:

• sage
  • cardamom
  • cumin
  • coriander
  • ginger
  • jam
  • halva
  • vinegar
  • nutmeg
  • chocolate
  • fruit preserves
  • seeds and nuts
  • biscuits and sweets
  • potato chips
  • gas for soft drinks
  • dried fruit
  • fresh meat
  • plaster
  • tar
  • wood for construction
  • cement
  • iron
  • glucose
  • industrial salt
  • plastic/glass/metal containers
  • industrial margarine
  • tarpaulin sheets for huts
  • fabric (for clothing)
  • flavor and smell enhancers
  • fishing rods
  • various fishing nets
  • buoys
  • ropes for fishing
  • nylon nets for greenhouses
  • hatcheries and spare parts for hatcheries
  • spare parts for tractors
  • dairies for cowsheds
  • irrigation pipe systems
  • ropes to tie greenhouses
  • planters for saplings
  • heaters for chicken farms
  • musical instruments
  • size A4 paper
  • writing implements
  • notebooks
  • newspapers
  • toys
  • razors
  • sewing machines and spare parts
  • heaters
  • horses
  • donkeys
  • goats
  • cattle
  • chicks

These are items which have only recently been allowed and the date they were allowed but which the people of Gaza have had to do without for a good while.

• In the 1st half 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • wheat
  • animal feed
  • flour
  • cooking oil
  • cooking fat
  • sugar
  • salt
  • pasta
  • dates
  • garlic
  • chick peas
  • rice
  • beans
  • lentils
  • kidney beans
  • margarine
  • dairy products
  • powdered milk
  • frozen meat and fish
  • frozen vegetables
  • animal medicines
  • gas for medical use
  • empty bags for flour
  • medicines and medical equipment
  • female hygiene products
  • nappies (diapers)
  • toilet paper
  • detergent
  • washing liquid
  • shampoo
  • soap
  • toothpaste
  • toothbrushes
  • cleaning products for tiles
  • cleaning products for glass
  • toilet-cleaner
  • yeast
  • fertilised eggs
  • fruit
  • semolina
    In June 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • polythene for greenhouses
  • agricultural materials
    In October 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • tea
  • coffee
    In November 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • instant coffee
  • canned tuna
  • salami
  • canned meat
  • washing-up sponges
  • bath sponges
  • cloths for mopping the floor
  • baby wipes
  • other canned goods, with the exception of tinned fruit
  • zaatar (dried herb mix)
  • sesame seeds
  • black pepper
  • chicken stock powder
  • blankets
    In December 2009 the following was finally allowed in
  • olives
  • matches
  • candles
  • sticks for brooms
  • rubbish bins
  • mops
  • hand-cleansing gel
  • aniseed
  • cinnamon
  • camomile
  • unfertilised eggs
  • glass (to a maximum of 200 trucks)
  • water-dispensers
  • potatoes
    In February 2010 the following was finally allowed in
  • mineral water
    In March 2010 the following was finally allowed in
  • tahini (sesame paste)
  • combs
  • hair brushes
  • clothes
  • shoes
    In April 2010 the following was finally allowed in
  • wood (for doorposts and window frames)
  • aluminium
  • kitchenware

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_04_10_gaza.pdf

What BS. Israel simply bans those things from getting into the hands of Hamas. They allow known international organizations to give those goods to the local population. The only things banned completely are materials who can be used to create home made explosives or chemical weapons, and construction materials to fall straight into the hands of Hamas, because Hamas uses those materials to construct weapons smuggling tunnels.

Yes, I agree ... buts lets see them show they can perform like a normal autonomous region first, maybe drop that charter thing about destruction of your neighbour as well. Anyhoo they cannot even arrange municipal, legaslative or presidential elections at the moment.

Do you mean a "normal autonomous region without being starved and humiliated by Israel"? Fine, I think that is all anyone is asking for .

the bible is what is going on here. the world vs isreal.

Considering every other sign is firmly in place. Im gonna have to agree with you there brother. If this realy is the time spoken of by the old test prophets, its an amazing time to be alive.