Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experts find Michelangelo code hidden in the

Still Waters

Michelangelo is recognised as one of the greatest painters and sculptors from the Italian Renaissance.

What is not so widely known is that he was an avid student of anatomy who once persuaded a Florentine prior to let him study the corpses in his church hospital.But he went on to destroy almost of all of his anatomical sketches and notes.

Now a pair of American experts in neuroanatomy believe Michelangelo DID leave some anatomical illustrations behind in one of his most famous works - the Sistine Chapel.

The artist painted the masterpiece between 1508 and 1512 in Rome and it has since been gazed upon by thousands of worshippers and tourists alike.

Ian Suk and Rafel Tamargo claim that the final panel in the awe-inspiring ceiling reveals a precise depiction of the human spinal cord and brain stem.

The scientists from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, were studying the far western panel that depicts God separating light from darkness with his hands.

They noticed that God's throat and chest had anatomical irregularities, which were not present in any other figure in the fresco. And while the figures are illuminated diagonally from the lower left, God's neck is illuminated straight-on. They concluded that what looks like clumsiness must have been deliberate work by the genius.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supervike

• danydandan

• Father Of Evolution

• Sarka

There seems to be so much more to this guy than what we know. He never ceases to amaze me :unsure:

In his time the law is the church that is why he kept his secrets hidden in his paintings. He's amazing.

For anyone interested, here's a very cool interactive panorama taken from inside the Sistine Chapel: Click

thats cool

A truly fascinating man. I wonder if this is what he really intended, or if this is simply a case of what the article mentions as being the 'Rorshach test'.

Here is a picture of Michelangelo's Creation of Adam, also located on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. This was mentioned in the article as being another oddity within the famous ceiling due to a peculiar shape:

4b-Adam.jpg

As the article says, physician Frank Meshberger was the first to point out that the pink material behind God is in a similar shape to the human brain.

brain2.jpg

It's all very fun and interesting :)

AAs the article says, physician Frank Meshberger was the first to point out that the pink material behind God is in a similar shape to the human brain.

It's all very fun and interesting :)

Because maybe Michangelo thought that god was only in our heads? It is very fascinating stuff!

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Yeah I see the resemblance, but something tells me it's just a coincidence. I'm sure you could pull up a ton of paintings and find that some random part of them has some anatomical accuracy to some part of the human body...

hahaha i always thought it was the sixteen chapel... :blush:

it looks more like a heart in my opinion

Edited by nognome

• 2 weeks later...