Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tai chi and other martial arts

KenjiBeast

Tai chi and other "internal" martial arts (ba gua for example) have always, in my mind, been something that goes hand in hand with serious meditation and chi cultivation. The motions relate in an intuitive way to the flow of energies around oneself, and are stunningly helpful in regards to the building of mental strength and concentration, in my experience. I'd been doing martial arts for years before I got into the study of Psy theory and it's seemed to me that the two disiplines compliment and to a degree complete each other.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any opinions regarding martial arts as a key to unlocking psychic potential. Thank you!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gauss

• aquatus1

• emily77

• Dougal

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I know that in Hindu belief religious yoga and meditation practices unlock various siddhis, which can be thought of as psychic abilities. And I don't see why martial arts and meditation wouldn't help in discovering your abilities. After all, in my opinion it's just a matter of tuning into them, which requires patience and discipline, something martial arts helps with. :yes:

I think intention is the foundation that helps foster a perception that engenders what we call psychic ability.

Martial practice and the study of various philosophical perceptions can help create an environment for that perception to flourish.

Tai chi and other "internal" martial arts (ba gua for example) have always, in my mind, been something that goes hand in hand with serious meditation and chi cultivation. The motions relate in an intuitive way to the flow of energies around oneself, and are stunningly helpful in regards to the building of mental strength and concentration, in my experience. I'd been doing martial arts for years before I got into the study of Psy theory and it's seemed to me that the two disiplines compliment and to a degree complete each other.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any opinions regarding martial arts as a key to unlocking psychic potential. Thank you!

If you are interested in martial arts, take a look at the Taoist practices. Generally speaking, soft QiGong is not readily available to the public. I had some contact with high-level Gong Fu many years back and realized the Master never showed the interesting stuff to his fighter disciples.

In case you read the book Zhuan Falun(free e-book) and what is said about self-cultivation and martial arts you will know what it is all about. The best schools are body and mind practices and include meditation and eliminating all of your worldly attachments including the competitive mentality.

You may PM me and I can tell you more.

Many meditative and martial techniques, such as Qi Gong, are disciplines which teach about the use of the large external force of the world. In Qi Gong's case it is Qi. Basically Qi stands for 'life force energy.' Chi, Ki, the force from star wars, it's all the same concept. But I have heard from many different people that learning a discipline like Tai Chi, Qi Gong or Reiki will help you in use of psychic abilities. I would assume that it helps you tap into either the internal or external force which psychic abilities are powered by or manipulate. It's not so much about concentration and focus from the discipline as it is about the understanding of how energy in our world works.

martial arts is all about discipline. meditation requires concentration and discipline.martial arts has nothing to do with psychic ability but requires similar training...martial arts training would be good though .at least u would be fit and well behaved when you master it.as apposed to dissapointed that you arnt turning psychic yet just from meditation.

Im a 1st degree black belt in kempo,brown belt in tai-kwando,i have studied the style of bruce lee and im self trained with a style of my own,there has been an incredibly strong chi technique i have been working with for 2 years now,for namesake i call it the Riot Javelin because its potential to kill a man...i have forbidden usage,however i have meditated with the chi and it appears a light blue...message me if you want to know more only so much can be shared here.

Developing martial arts, has very little to do with developing psychic abilities.

However chi development does. But the thing is you dont really want to mix martial arts with chi development. lol. There is a couple of reasons which you need to understand how chi works in order to understand these reasons why you shouldnt. But basically, it is because of the simple reason that, in the long run, it will hurt you, or cause bad side effects.

What you can do tho is seperate chi development from the martial arts side, so that martial arts has nothing to do with chi development. This enables a safe cultivation of energy.

Then once you have energy, you can bring it into the martial arts side, IF ONLY YOU UNDERSTAND HOW IT FULLY WORKS. I say this because if you dont, and you use it against people who you spar with, you could very well cause internal injuries to them. So be careful when doing this stuff. Its very real, and very dangerous, if you get good.

But basically you can find more info out here.

discoverchipower.com

But i thought tai chi was to help make ur body healthier?Nvr came across my mind tat tai chi has something to do with the paranormal.

But i thought tai chi was to help make ur body healthier?Nvr came across my mind tat tai chi has something to do with the paranormal.

Tai chi as a purely athletic discipline is a disappointingly western development, TBH. It's always had physical benefits, but a significant amount of the appeal comes from the cultivation of chi and the manipulation of forces in a controlled, meditative way.

well, your body can only hold so much chi, but you can increase this threshold with qigong and physical disciplines, im pretty sure marital arts would help too

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 2 weeks in the woods with no food or water,and let natures energy flow through me,I managed to train myself in the wilderness and let my body feed off the chi of the earth and I survived and what didnt kill me made me stronger.

I spent 2 weeks in the woods with no food or water,and let natures energy flow through me,I managed to train myself in the wilderness and let my body feed off the chi of the earth and I survived and what didnt kill me made me stronger.

Are you a taoist?

Are you a taoist?

You could say that...or a practicioner of taoist ways you could say also.

or one who follows the tao.. lol

You could say that...or a practicioner of taoist ways you could say also.

Great news seeing you in here, Tao Te Ching was my favourite book before I started cultivation in Falun Gong. Actually I consider myself still partly a Taoist since I cultivate truth(zhen) and then also Compassion(Shan) and Forbearance(Ren). So my Buddha Fa includes also the Taoist Fa and many FG practitioners come from the Taoist school which use to have disciples of very good inborn quality.

to me martial arts unlocks a numerous amounts of energy levels and personalities. But when studying any martial art is do open the door way to one key emotion. and that emotion is control. By learning how to control the power of a movement rather it be a kick, punch, roll, throwing techinique, etc. You unlock the ability to control your self which is the biggest of all things in life.

Martial arts also allows you to see what you, your self, are capable of when presented with a challenge of a fellow martial artist of the same chain. But it also allows you to connect better with people too.

As far as meditation, I will openly admit that I meditate a lot! I helps keep my anger under control since I have a lot of anger and rage built up. Not to mention I have a darker side of me that I feel like is wanting to release its self to the world but I meditate to keep it locked away until I really need it. If patient and calm and no noise what so ever, meditation can feel like floating or like you're not even on this planet or in the same universe. It is a wonderful feeling for me.

I would suggest meditation to anyone but as far as martial arts, take and train in any style available and challenge your self to always get better because no matter how you look at it, there's always room for improvement. Learn control and then meditate to balance that control and all your spiritual energy into nature and into your soul.

to me martial arts unlocks a numerous amounts of energy levels and personalities. But when studying any martial art is do open the door way to one key emotion. and that emotion is control. By learning how to control the power of a movement rather it be a kick, punch, roll, throwing techinique, etc. You unlock the ability to control your self which is the biggest of all things in life.

Martial arts also allows you to see what you, your self, are capable of when presented with a challenge of a fellow martial artist of the same chain. But it also allows you to connect better with people too.

As far as meditation, I will openly admit that I meditate a lot! I helps keep my anger under control since I have a lot of anger and rage built up. Not to mention I have a darker side of me that I feel like is wanting to release its self to the world but I meditate to keep it locked away until I really need it. If patient and calm and no noise what so ever, meditation can feel like floating or like you're not even on this planet or in the same universe. It is a wonderful feeling for me.

I would suggest meditation to anyone but as far as martial arts, take and train in any style available and challenge your self to always get better because no matter how you look at it, there's always room for improvement. Learn control and then meditate to balance that control and all your spiritual energy into nature and into your soul.

Very wise words. Can you clarify something though, is control an emotion or is it temporary absence of emotions? To be able to focus to the point where the ego and emotions fade into the background and we become at one with the flow of energy itself and thus ct instinctively.

Everyone needs a drk side, s you say it is just cse of releaisng it at the appropriate time in a controlled nd effective way void of emotion.

Very wise words. Can you clarify something though, is control an emotion or is it temporary absence of emotions? To be able to focus to the point where the ego and emotions fade into the background and we become at one with the flow of energy itself and thus ct instinctively.

Everyone needs a drk side, s you say it is just cse of releaisng it at the appropriate time in a controlled nd effective way void of emotion.

control is an emotion and an absense of emotions both. your body has different flows of energy which is also alined with nature and everything else in the world. Everything is connected by energy and controlled by everyone's actions and reactions. but with meditation you are able to teach your self how to control your energy as well as the energy of many other things. which in example makes a punch like a hammer and a kick feel like a car. it can also help a helping hand go from feeling generous into something important to pass on to someone else.

all life is connected and all energy flows as one when controlled.

Gauss,it is nice to see you here also...its always good to see a practitioner or pupil of such arts.

However I practice some taoist ways...but not all I explore many branches of development

Ki projection

Meditations

and multiple styles like Qi-Gong

Im also a martial artist as well

I'm just posting not getting into the so called aspects but this vid, warning language offensive to some may clear up a couple perceptions of just how valuable it is.

If to offensive please delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_3BSk2TbK4

Edited by The Silver Thong

Gauss,it is nice to see you here also...its always good to see a practitioner or pupil of such arts.

However I practice some taoist ways...but not all I explore many branches of development

Ki projection

Meditations

and multiple styles like Qi-Gong

Im also a martial artist as well

Good to hear you have these interests, I used to share appartment with a famous martial artist in the 90s, he taught me some stuff from the Gong Fu cultivation school and got me interested in hard Qi-Gong. Did you ever read the book Zhuan Falun? I can recommend it to all people with your background:

**No, you may not. You've been warned about this, Gauss.**

Edited by aquatus1

The martial arts were, for millenia, the most result-oriented industry mankind had. The simple fact of the matter is that if your technique did not work, you died. Educational evolution at its finest. Techniques that did work were passed on, and today, we have techniques that would be at home in the training grounds of the Greek armies.

But what about all these magnificent tales of holy warriors, or mystical battles? What about the ability to kill with a single touch, or stop a car with a swipe of your leg??

Well, we don't do these things anymore. We don't do them because, frankly, they don't work. Thousands upon thousands of years, hundreds of kings, shoguns, tribal leaders, all fighting an eternal arms race to find the best of the best ways to lay the smack-down on your enemies...all we have to show for these mystical techniques are stories.

I've no doubt that there is a psychological component to many martial arts, and most of them focus on making a person feel better about themselves for killing someone else. But after all this time, after so much research, so much obsessive, heated, searching for ultimate techniques...we would have these. If someone existed who could kill with one punch, they would be studied, the technique analyzed, then passed down to the rest of the troops. No one is going to be able to keep a secret for millenia. If it requires some sort of special conditioning, it would also be studied, and if it was effective, it would also be incorporated.

Today, the only people you hear talking about this sort of thing are people selling books. Sure, they have a dojo somewhere, and maybe even teach cops or something, but there is never a body count. Today's society, by pulling the teeth of the warrior's art, has opened the doors for the snake-oil salesmen to return and fill the heads of the weak with thoughts of effortless power. But it just ain't so.

But heck, that's just my opinion. Right up there with living in the wilderness without food an water. Make of it what you will.

But what about all these magnificent tales of holy warriors, or mystical battles? What about the ability to kill with a single touch, or stop a car with a swipe of your leg??

Well, we don't do these things anymore. We don't do them because, frankly, they don't work.

I do believe they exist beyond any doubt. I am convinced these Masters exist but they are few and far beyond the level of everyday people and would never show their skills off(since they would loose them by doing so) and they have dropped theor competitive attachment. These kind of people are self-cultivators and cultivate their body and mind and have to drop all their desires and emotions to achieve such skills. They only try their skills when nobody can see them.

This is well described in the book Zhuan Falun about martial arts cultivation.

Yes indeed it is