Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tai chi and other martial arts

KenjiBeast

I hate to fall back on the old "where's the evidence" again, but you're making some wild claims here.

Which brilliant minds thought they could keep their mind in heaven? Where are you getting your evidence that their mind was taken away?

What do you mean by Heart by the way? As I see it, there's not much use having a heart without a head as it were.

If you are an atheist all this is a fairy tale and you might as well drop out of the discussion by now.

There is no evidence other than Swedenborg´s words. If one believes there is a God called Jesus and Swedenborg did say he got his info directly from Jesus. Then one concludes his words are true or else Jesus would have punished him for mocking Jesus and his books would have not become a reality. Swedenborg also prophesiced Master Li Hongzhi and Falun Gong coming out of China, and the CCP persecuting Falun Gong. He called Falun Gong´s doctrines "True christianity", just like Edgar Cayce did, Cayce also pinpointed 1999 and China as the origin of Falun Gong(true christianity).

Many brilliant(intellectually) people down here get an attachment to their external mind quality(IQ etc) and knowledge and think they are great but after death this was of no use Swedenborg said. Ie africans had a much higher interior heart quality, in the heavens they were much higher situated than white people reaching the heavens.

I am speaking of the microscopic dimension where you have your "heart quality"(virtue and karma is the only thing you bring with you after death as an everyday person without Gong, I refer to it as your heart) or "soul" as some people refer to it.

Your heart quality can be measured in an indirect way by an aura photo. The aura photo will give you a color in the color spectre, the higher up in the color spectre you are the better you are(the higher percentage virtue you have). Of course the size of the aura is also interesting. A real Master has a massive aura size.

Nikola Tesla, the priest son, invented aura photo.

Your physical head has nothing to do with this discussion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gauss

• aquatus1

• emily77

• Dougal

Top Posters In This Topic

The neurobiology of wisdom

by Kate Melville

A new meta-study just completed by University of California neurologists sought to determine if specific brain circuits and pathways might be responsible for wisdom. Once the sole province of religion and philosophy, the researchers Dilip V. Jeste and Thomas W. Meeks say that there are many similarities in the definition of wisdom across time and cultures. Writing in the Archives of General Psychiatry, they argue that previous research does suggest that there may be a basis in neurobiology for wisdom's most universal traits.

Over centuries and civilizations, wisdom has been defined to encompass numerous psychological traits. Components of wisdom are commonly agreed to include such attributes as empathy, compassion or altruism, emotional stability, self-understanding, and pro-social attitudes, including a tolerance for others' values.

But Jeste asks deeper questions. Such as whether wisdom is universal or culturally based. And is it uniquely human? Is it related to age? Is it dependent on experience or can wisdom be taught? Research on wisdom is a relatively new phenomenon. Meeks and Jeste noted that in the 1970s, there were only 20 peer-reviewed articles on wisdom, but since 2000, there have been more than 250 such publications.

In order to determine if specific brain circuits and pathways might be responsible for wisdom, the researchers examined existing articles, publications and other documents for six attributes most commonly included in the definition of wisdom, and for the brain circuitry associated with those attributes.

They focused primarily on functional neuroimaging studies: studies which measure changes in blood flow or metabolic alterations in the brain, as well as on neurotransmitter functions and genetics. They found, for example, that pondering a situation calling for altruism activates the medial pre-frontal cortex, while moral decision-making is a combination of rational (the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, which plays a role in sustaining attention and working memory), emotional/social (medial pre-frontal cortex), and conflict detection (the anterior cingulate cortex, sometimes also associated with a so-called "sixth sense") functions.

Interestingly, several common brain regions appear to be involved in different components of wisdom. The UC San Diego researchers suggest that the neurobiology of wisdom may involve an optimal balance between more primitive brain regions (the limbic system) and the newest ones (pre-frontal cortex.) Knowledge of the underlying mechanisms in the brain could potentially lead to developing interventions for enhancing wisdom.

"Understanding the neurobiology of wisdom may have considerable clinical significance, for example, in studying how certain disorders or traumatic brain injuries can affect traits related to wisdom," said Jeste, stressing that this study is only a first step in a long journey.

Source: University of California - San Diego

I hate to fall back on the old "where's the evidence" again, but you're making some wild claims here.

Which brilliant minds thought they could keep their mind in heaven? Where are you getting your evidence that their mind was taken away?

What do you mean by Heart by the way? As I see it, there's not much use having a heart without a head as it were.

Question - I have been wanting to take a martial arts class for quite a while. Can any of you tell me the type you practice and what you like about it?

It depends upon what you are looking to get out of it. Personally I only practiced martial arts as a means of self defense and for sport when I began. As an adult it became part of my profession at the time. I don't look to martial arts as an aid to enlightenment, although others obviously do. In fact it was a detriment to myself. I focus primarily upon the Eightfold Path for "cultivation" as Gauss puts it, which obviously includes meditation. If I were to use a martial art in conjunction with this, I would more than likely start with Tai Chi as it the most appealing art for where I am at now in my life.

imho anything can aid in one's enlightenment, not just martial arts. What's more important is how you approach it. Martial arts can be a hinderance as surely as becoming a painter could be helpful. It's all in the approach.

Thanks for reading guys!

Self defense, self control/discipline, physical, emotional, spiritual strength...and a fun activity!

It depends upon what you are looking to get out of it. Personally I only practiced martial arts as a means of self defense and for sport when I began. As an adult it became part of my profession at the time. I don't look to martial arts as an aid to enlightenment, although others obviously do. In fact it was a detriment to myself. I focus primarily upon the Eightfold Path for "cultivation" as Gauss puts it, which obviously includes meditation. If I were to use a martial art in conjunction with this, I would more than likely start with Tai Chi as it the most appealing art for where I am at now in my life.

imho anything can aid in one's enlightenment, not just martial arts. What's more important is how you approach it. Martial arts can be a hinderance as surely as becoming a painter could be helpful. It's all in the approach.

Thanks for reading guys!

Each one enlightens to his level and truth.

I tell everyone interested in finding higher truths that what they "believe", who is "right" or who they "trust" is unimportant.

Focus is to improve yourself, work hard on your heart, mind and body and eliminate all your desires and emotions. The rewards will follow suit.

I take a different approach, yet similar approach... It lies in the concept of "yourself" or rather the priorities of "yourself" imho "self" is not important, and that's a whole other topic of discussion. The person next to you is important, which... well... to be honest is part of "yourself". The journey is the reward. What follows suit is a natural result of how we approach said journey.

What do you think?

I think the reward is - no longer being caught up in suffering - and experiencing profound bliss -

We are able to give to others in a genuine way...we know compassion and empathy. We understand duality, mirrors, and reflections.

I take a different approach, yet similar approach... It lies in the concept of "yourself" or rather the priorities of "yourself" imho "self" is not important, and that's a whole other topic of discussion. The person next to you is important, which... well... to be honest is part of "yourself". The journey is the reward. What follows suit is a natural result of how we approach said journey.

What do you think?

Self defense, self control/discipline, physical, emotional, spiritual strength...and a fun activity!

In that order? Personally I'd take boxing and wrestling for self defense physical etc... or JKD if that's available in your area and I'd focus upon Tai Chi for emotional and spiritual strength, if you have your heart set upon a martial art for that purpose. However, imho the further you follow the, "spiritual path" pardon the pretentiousness, the less you may feel for a need of "self" defense.

Good luck to you!

I agree, and I did think about that in regards to self-defense. I do not just mean physical self-defense. :geek:

In that order? Personally I'd take boxing and wrestling for self defense physical etc... or JKD if that's available in your area and I'd focus upon Tai Chi for emotional and spiritual strength, if you have your heart set upon a martial art for that purpose. However, imho the further you follow the, "spiritual path" pardon the pretentiousness, the less you may feel for a need of "self" defense.

Good luck to you!

Question - I have been wanting to take a martial arts class for quite a while. Can any of you tell me the type you practice and what you like about it?

I like bagua, tai chi and aikido. They all have an element of mysticism and wisdom even if it is as simple as ying and yang. It is really up to the individual but if you are looking for enlightenment you could just as easily take up zen or chinese calligraphy. I do tai chi for arthritis but it certainly helps quieten the mind aswell. I would love to be able to practice it in nature as I think that is as close to enlightenment as I'm ever gonna get. Not really compatible with city living though.

I'd be keen to read any links you have on the neurobiology of wisdom, sounds really interesting. Some wisdom or knowledge cannot be taught but must be realized. This is why taoism and zen use paradoxes and non sensical poetry. In the zen they are called koans and are the only teachings employed. They form riddles that must be contemplated and realized to achieve the inherent wisdom. Personally, I am not sure zen is for me, I am really enjoying learning about the Tao and Mu though. Thanks for the poem by the way and I thank Li Po.

I think the reward is - no longer being caught up in suffering - and experiencing profound bliss -

We are able to give to others in a genuine way...we know compassion and empathy. We understand duality, mirrors, and reflections.

If you desire a reward, even enlightenment, have you truly let go of your desires? It's one thing to say that, and I don't wish to sound like some guru because obviously I'm not. However, one must be it for lack of a better term and not just say it. I think that's what Gauss may be referring to as far as letting go of mind and body etc... Don't think. Don't do. Just Be. That takes time and right effort, If you follow me.

Thanks for the conversation!

I absolutely love the poetry of Li Po! It seems few can see what an amazing writer he was...leaves me in awe. Another poet you may enjoy is Tu Fu.

I think I am leaning in the direction of tai chi. I was born and raised 20 miles out in the country. I grew up with nature. I spent my youth in the woods; just me and my dog, exploring. I live in the city now, and am really looking forward to when I finish school so I can sell my house and return to the woods. That is were I connect and belong. The quiet, stillness, beauty, and mostly the way the stars shine so brightly in the darkness of the country. I grew up near a large water fall, and would ride my bike to it. I love the smell of waterfalls. I would climb to the top, sit there, and just day dream and wonder. =)

Here is a link to a site I really like. http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/natural_world_mind_brain.shtml

I like bagua, tai chi and aikido. They all have an element of mysticism and wisdom even if it is as simple as ying and yang. It is really up to the individual but if you are looking for enlightenment you could just as easily take up zen or chinese calligraphy. I do tai chi for arthritis but it certainly helps quieten the mind aswell. I would love to be able to practice it in nature as I think that is as close to enlightenment as I'm ever gonna get. Not really compatible with city living though.

I'd be keen to read any links you have on the neurobiology of wisdom, sounds really interesting. Some wisdom or knowledge cannot be taught but must be realized. This is why taoism and zen use paradoxes and non sensical poetry. In the zen they are called koans and are the only teachings employed. They form riddles that must be contemplated and realized to achieve the inherent wisdom. Personally, I am not sure zen is for me, I am really enjoying learning about the Tao and Mu though. Thanks for the poem by the way and I thank Li Po.

I never desired a reward or even desired, longed for, or tried to, attain enlightenment. I had no expectations. These are things I received along the way, and I consider them rewards because - wow.

I do still desire...my desire is...to create..as an expression/a manifestation of who I am...

Talk the talk and then walk the walk..it usually goes in that order.

If you desire a reward, even enlightenment, have you truly let go of your desires? It's one thing to say that, and I don't wish to sound like some guru because obviously I'm not. However, one must be it for lack of a better term and not just say it. I think that's what Gauss may be referring to as far as letting go of mind and body etc... Don't think. Don't do. Just Be. That takes time and right effort, If you follow me.

Thanks for the conversation!

I never desired a reward or even desired, longed for, or tried to, attain enlightenment. I had no expectations. These are things I received along the way, and I consider them rewards because - wow.

I do still desire...my desire is...to create..as an expression/a manifestation of who I am...

Talk the talk and then walk the walk..it usually goes in that order.

I'm curious, do you believe in a higher power that granted these rewards, or are you referring to results of your actions as rewards? Not that i mind either way, I'm just attempting to understand more about where you're coming from. I understand your desire to create, I'm a musician myself, have you ever examined why you feel the need to do this? You might be surprised in the reason's similarity to wanting to practice martial arts. I was at any rate lol! For myself, I found music to be more effective than martial arts in this regard.

How about, Think the think then walk the walk. Talk the talk then becomes a part of walking the walk. :wacko: lol.

Thanks again, your insight is truly appreciated.

No I do not believe in a higher power, such as a god on a throne or mountain top, granting rewards. The higher power is spirit/energy.

Yes, I understand my desire to create..I love connecting..experiencing...and yes, it is similar to my desire to learn martial arts.

Thank you for your insight!

I'm curious, do you believe in a higher power that granted these rewards, or are you referring to results of your actions as rewards? Not that i mind either way, I'm just attempting to understand more about where you're coming from. I understand your desire to create, I'm a musician myself, have you ever examined why you feel the need to do this? You might be surprised in the reason's similarity to wanting to practice martial arts. I was at any rate lol! For myself, I found music to be more effective than martial arts in this regard.

How about, Think the think then walk the walk. Talk the talk then becomes a part of walking the walk. :wacko: lol.

Thanks again, your insight is truly appreciated.

No I do not believe in a higher power, such as a god on a throne or mountain top, granting rewards. The higher power is spirit/energy.

Yes, I understand my desire to create..I love connecting..experiencing...and yes, it is similar to my desire to learn martial arts.

Thank you for your insight!

No problem! I enjoyed the conversation. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Have a good day!

If you are an atheist all this is a fairy tale and you might as well drop out of the discussion by now.

There is no evidence other than Swedenborg´s words. If one believes there is a God called Jesus and Swedenborg did say he got his info directly from Jesus. Then one concludes his words are true or else Jesus would have punished him for mocking Jesus and his books would have not become a reality. Swedenborg also prophesiced Master Li Hongzhi and Falun Gong coming out of China, and the CCP persecuting Falun Gong. He called Falun Gong´s doctrines "True christianity", just like Edgar Cayce did, Cayce also pinpointed 1999 and China as the origin of Falun Gong(true christianity).

So basically you're preaching a completely unevidenced theory and life outlook, fair enough, i've got no problem with that, just try to avoid presenting it as fact though please.

I mean no disrespect to anyone by saying this... I do not really understand why some seem to want to force beliefs onto others. We all have different beliefs, no one person believes that same, of any religion or spiritual practice, similar yes, but never the exact same.

There are many paths with no one right way or wrong way.

To be told there is only one way to, "God," through such and such practice and/or belief system is the first clue that you are being mislead. However, even the mis-leading can be a road to God. (I use the word God loosely)

A SPIRITUAL LEADER DOES NOT SAY FOLLOW ME. A SPIRITUAL LEADER SAYS, I WILL GO FIRST.

So basically you're preaching a completely unevidenced theory and life outlook, fair enough, i've got no problem with that, just try to avoid presenting it as fact though please.

Similarly, a spiritual leader should not get so flustered when he finds out that he is not believed.

I have noticed that when one tries to prove a point to others who do not believe the point...the person is just trying to convince herself or himself...usually. However, I am not so egotistical as to assume someones intention.

Isn't there a spiritual, "rule," when the teacher is ready the student will come....?

Similarly, a spiritual leader should not get so flustered when he finds out that he is not believed.

I have noticed that when one tries to prove a point to others who do not believe the point...the person is just trying to convince herself or himself...usually. However, I am not so egotistical as to assume someones intention.

I don't know if I would call it intent so much as focus. For instance, Gauss probably has the perfectly honest intent of improving himself spiritually, and the honest intent to share what he believes the best path. His focus, however, isn't where he thinks it is. The result of this is that his teaching becomes preaching, and he forgets the walking for the road. As you saw in the previous page, his first reaction was to focus on conflict, rather than understanding.

Isn't there a spiritual, "rule," when the teacher is ready the student will come....?

It's the other way around, I believe.

Of course nothing I say is "facts" or "truth".

My "truth" is variable and changes as I raise my level of enlightenment bu cultivating my xinxing. I can only tell you how I try to advance and raise my level in Dafa. Everyone must decide for himself how to live their life. Only predestined people will arrive to Dafa cultivation I believe.

Anyway, we should all respect eachother and try to be kind and compassionate people no matter which beliefs we hold.

I don't know if I would call it intent so much as focus. For instance, Gauss probably has the perfectly honest intent of improving himself spiritually, and the honest intent to share what he believes the best path. His focus, however, isn't where he thinks it is. The result of this is that his teaching becomes preaching, and he forgets the walking for the road. As you saw in the previous page, his first reaction was to focus on conflict, rather than understanding.

It's the other way around, I believe.

I am still waiting to hear about your enlightenment way. Please tell us about it.

I am still waiting to hear about your enlightenment way. Please tell us about it.

Asides from it not having anything to do with the topic, I really have no desire to speak to you about it. If you wish to learn more about my views, perhaps you can start here: Godless Spirituality.

In regards to martial arts and spirituality, they don't really have any deeper connection than any other activity and inner peace. Some people can achieve enlightenment through martial arts, some through violence, some through meditation, some through flower arrangement, and I'm sure, given time, someone can figure out how to do it through golf as well. Any practice that allows you to lose yourself into itself can provide a means of achieving inner peace, which will help you grow into your spirituality.

The idea, however, that spirituality confers any sort of special powers, particularly over life and death, is incorrect. At most, you can hope for an extended "In the Zone!" type of feeling (which isn't a bad thing in and of itself). But no, you won't be catching arrows in mid-flight, tossing energy balls at the bad guys, or feeding off the force, not in this reality.

Asides from it not having anything to do with the topic, I really have no desire to speak to you about it.

Now you say you do not want to disclose your way of enlightenment to me, before you were upset with me and said I was not interested in listening to your standpoint.....

It sure is hard to please you my friend.

You have your beliefs while I have mine, I believe in Gods and you do not.

My beliefs about enlightenment in Falu Gong are "official" and I stand by them at all times while I try to become a better person.

Now you say you do not want to disclose your way of enlightenment to me, before you were upset with me and said I was not interested in listening to your standpoint.....

That is correct. See, you were so unwilling to listen to what I was saying that you did not even notice that I wasn't talking about enlightenment at all.

It sure is hard to please you my friend.

It's very easy to please me. All you have to do is be willing to listen. You don't have to believe, heck, you don't even have to agree. You just have to listen.

You have your beliefs while I have mine, I believe in Gods and you do not.

That is correct, however it is irrelevant to the comments I was making regarding martial arts.

My beliefs about enlightenment in Falu Gong are "official" and I stand by them at all times while I try to become a better person.

Which is still irrelevant to the comments I was making regarding martial arts.

Even after all this, you just keep going with your arguments, without making the slightest effort to understand what anyone else is saying.

Way to be close-minded.