Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
keithisco

2010 Football World Cup!

959 posts in this topic

keithisco

Finally it's here - the opening matches between South Africa and Mexico, also Uruguay versus France.

Spain is favourite after winning the European title ("a night to remember" here innocent.gif if I could laugh.gif )

Who is potentially the best national team out there, any comments, any ideas. What will the scores be???

For my money (actually not real money) South Africa 1 - Mexico 4, Urugauy 2 - 2 France.

I think it is actually much closer than most pundits believe, and you can never rule out England.

Moon Monkey

Finally it's here - the opening matches between South Africa and Mexico, also Uruguay versus France.

Spain is favourite after winning the European title ("a night to remember" here innocent.gif if I could laugh.gif )

Who is potentially the best national team out there, any comments, any ideas. What will the scores be???

For my money (actually not real money) South Africa 1 - Mexico 4, Urugauy 2 - 2 France.

I think it is actually much closer than most pundits believe, and you can never rule out England.

I am afraid England will be lucky to make the quarters but I will be very happy to be proven wrong. Just, please God, let us not get beat by the States on Saturday,

I think Holland have the best eleven players who work as a team but you cannot argue with the quality of Argentina all over the pitch, they have 4 strikers as good as Rooney and have left players out of the squad who would walk into most first elevens. Their downside is the manager who is a nutcase. Spain and Brazil of course will be there or there abouts. It is a shame a lot of the african teams have suffered pre-tournament injuries to key players as one of the Ivory Coast or Ghana are capable of beating anyone on a good day.

As for tomorrow I think South Africa might give Mexico a shock and win by one, 2-1, and I agree with the France-Uraguay draw but I will go 1-1.

keithisco

I am afraid England will be lucky to make the quarters but I will be very happy to be proven wrong. Just, please God, let us not get beat by the States on Saturday,

I think Holland have the best eleven players who work as a team but you cannot argue with the quality of Argentina all over the pitch, they have 4 strikers as good as Rooney and have left players out of the squad who would walk into most first elevens. Their downside is the manager who is a nutcase. Spain and Brazil of course will be there or there abouts. It is a shame a lot of the african teams have suffered pre-tournament injuries to key players as one of the Ivory Coast or Ghana are capable of beating anyone on a good day.

As for tomorrow I think South Africa might give Mexico a shock and win by one, 2-1, and I agree with the France-Uraguay draw but I will go 1-1.

I actually mentioned Holland as a possible "Stalking Horse" to one of my friends here (a football commentator for Real Madrid TV, and the BBC) and he was definitely of the opinion that there are possibilities ther.

It would be a disastrous night if USA beat England on Saturdayno.gif , but England often grasp defeat in the face of victoryyes.gif

Moon Monkey

I actually mentioned Holland as a possible "Stalking Horse" to one of my friends here (a football commentator for Real Madrid TV, and the BBC) and he was definitely of the opinion that there are possibilities ther.

It would be a disastrous night if USA beat England on Saturdayno.gif , but England often grasp defeat in the face of victoryyes.gif

I think it is the most open for a while there are plenty of teams in the FIFA top 30.

BTW Keith maybe you should PM Paranoid Android, I see he has got a world cup thread going in General Off Topic, Hobbies/Sports so it might be worth merging.

Edited by Moon Monkey

stevewinn

South Africa 0 - 3 Mexico.

Uruguay 0 - 5 France.

olympic1

south africa vs mexico 2-1

uruuay vs france 1-1

gozap

Ever since the confederations cup I have not been looking forward to the world cup at all. If I hear those freaking vuvuzela again I will not watch a single game since I can't enyoy it at all then. :angry:

South Africa - Mexico: 3-2

Uruguay - France: 2-0

Solipsi Rai

I know my dad roots for France, the champion of the 1998 world cup held in their home country...and their embarassing loss to Italy in the last event (2006). I'm not much of a soccer fan, but the world game of "football" is something the USA should participate in...and we can't miss out on the global passion of the sport. I expect the Euro cup champs the Spaniards to win the finale against the likes of returning champ "Azzurri" or blue-shirts in Italian. Where I live in Southern Cal. there are many Mexican and Central American (esp. Salvadoran) fans, but the leading Latin American teams are Mexico, Brazil and Argentina, and they would be in the third place finale (only one team loses out).

Relle

Dude, that's how I feel about hockey! :lol:

StoneColdVampy

My predictions:

South Afrika-Mexico 1-2

Uruguay-France 3-1

Overall i hope that the Netherlands make it to atleast the Semi Finals. In my oppinion they have the best team in this World Cup.

Abramelin

Excuse me for being a partypooper here, but it seems as though the next has been swept under the carpet for a couple of weeks now... but not here in Holland and I guess not in Denmark too:

Dirk Kuyt has revealed his “absolute terror” after being told about an Al Qaeda plot to attack Holland’s World Cup clash with Denmark.

The Dutch FA have banned players’ families from travelling to South Africa after Iraqi security forces discovered that Islamic terrorists have targeted the Group E game that will take place at Johannesburg’s Soccer City on June 14.

Liverpool striker Kuyt admitted that many of his Dutch team-mates, whose wives have now been banned from the tournament, have been affected by the threat.

Kuyt said: "It is terrifying. Some players don't want to pick up the news, but I do. And my first thought is this whole thing is terrifying. But I must put my faith in the security people.

"The positive thing, I keep telling myself, is that an Al Qaeda terrorist has been arrested. I want to tell myself the World Cup will be a well protected event. They have to monitor every situation."

Then plot was discovered when Al Qaeda terrorist Abdullah Azam Saleh al-Qahtani, a Saudi citizen, was arrested in Iraq on May 3. Under interrogation he admitted there was a plot to target both the Dutch and the Danes in South Africa.

The terrorists want to avenge the production of an anti-Islamic film made by Dutch politician Geert Wilders. Denmark have also been targeted due to the publication depicting cartoons of the prophet Mohammed.

There have been suggestions England's game against the United States on June 12 has also been targeted.

An FA source said: "We're taking every step we can to ensure we have the best information to ensure it's a safe tournament and our strategies are constantly reviewed."

Steven Gerrard interview: I won't consider my future until after the World Cup

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-star-Dirk-Kuyt-reveals-his-absolute-terror-at-being-told-of-Al-Qaeda-plot-to-attack-Holland-s-World-Cup-clash-with-Denmark-Exclusive-article434527.html

And in case you don't know: we had to vote for a new Dutch government yesterday, and one of the winners was..... Geert Wilders (see article).

OK, I will not spoil this thread any longer with political crap. I just wanted you to know.

--

I hope these World Games will be great, the South African people deserve something great like that happening in their country.

Pseudo Intellectual

The US has no shot at winning this, but I hope we make it far, or at least beat England. :P

Orkid

I'm here in @ work, waiting to see Uruguay vs France :rolleyes: !!!.. :w00t: VAMO' URUGUAY!!! :w00t:

Moon Monkey

The US has no shot at winning this, but I hope we make it far, or at least beat England. :P

They will be rioting in the streets here if you do !!

I'm here in @ work, waiting to see Uruguay vs France :rolleyes: !!!.. :w00t: VAMO' URUGUAY!!! :w00t:

With you mate...France shouldn't even be there. Cheats.

Orkid

South Africa 0 - 3 Mexico.

Uruguay 0 - 5 France.

well .. south af and mexico were tied!.. so I guess URUGUAY has a chance to win or be in the same situation ... :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Edited by Orkid

Pseudo Intellectual

Usually I support Sweden, but they didn't qualify this time.

I once heard England has beat Sweden only 3 times in its history. Every other time it was either a tie or Sweden won. ;)

Cetacea

With you mate...France shouldn't even be there. Cheats.

:yes: I am supporting Uruguay for that one! Hope the Italians go out early as well, I don't think either France or Italy deserved to be in the final the last time around....

Other than that supporting Germany obviously :D (being German and all), though a bit concerned with the amount of players missing (although I'm not devastated Ballack is not in it). At least they look more lively than usual but I feel this time around we might be missing a bit experience. Hoping for the win of course and don't think it's unrealistic but am not getting my hopes up. As long as we don't get beat by Holland and get moderately far....

Sort of annoyed that Ghana is in our group because that would be the other team I'm supporting as it's one of my homes away from home, not sure they are going to get past Serbia, I'd love it if both Germany and Ghana went through from the group stage.

Can't say I'm impressed from what I've seen from England but looking forward to the game tomorrow, should be interesting.

I think Spain have a good chance but (other than Germany winning) I'd love to see an African team win, but I doubt that is a realistic wish.

Edited by Cetacea

MrBriefcase

i want holland to win but spain has a good chance

Moon Monkey

These bloody vuvuzalas or horns or whatever they are will ruin the entire tournament. You cannot hear singing or the atmosphere. On the bright side they may drown out that damn england brass band doing dambusters (again and again).

Power Lust

Well France look the best team so far their football is very fluid and their skills are impressive. Almost what you would expect from Brazil!

Cetacea

Well France look the best team so far their football is very fluid and their skills are impressive. Almost what you would expect from Brazil!

What game are you watching?!

Certain level of skill, sure but also decidedly lacklustre in my opinion. Just like the last world cup, I'd hate to see them go through undeserved again

Edited by Cetacea

Power Lust

Certain level of skill, sure but also decidedly lacklustre in my opinion. Just like the last world cup, I'd hate to see them go through undeserved again

First half lol.

I just watched the last 20 mins and it was poor and yes totally lacklustre.

Oh well roll on England. Lets teach them Americans a lesson over BP!

5-0 will be nice.

keithisco

Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa a really good result for S.Africa

Uruguay 0 -0 France a game of 2 halves - equally boring.blink.gif

I hope it gets more interesting tomorrow!

Predictions for tomorrows matches

England 2 - 1 USA

Korean republic 0 - 3 Greece

Argentina 4 (min) 0 Nigeria

This is a really good site for checking all the fixtures Funky Calendar Link

Any other`predictions?

Power Lust

Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa a really good result for S.Africa

Uruguay 0 -0 France a game of 2 halves - equally boring.blink.gif

I hope it gets more interesting tomorrow!

Predictions for tomorrows matches

England 2 - 1 USA

Korean republic 0 - 3 Greece

Argentina 4 (min) 0 Nigeria

This is a really good site for checking all the fixtures Funky Calendar Link

Any other`predictions?

England 4 - USA 0

Korea 0 - Greece 1

Argentina 4 - Nigeria 0

I also have Argentina to knock England out in the Semi's and an Argie v Spain Final which sees Spain win its first world cup.

Edited by Power Lust

Cetacea

I am going to admit I am sort of hoping the US beat England, it will just be so amusing to watch the ensuing media row :innocent: