Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2010 Football World Cup!

keithisco

the horns are mind numbing,i cant believe they dont take a break at ALLLLLLL during the game.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cetacea

• Eldorado

• Space Commander Travis

• questionmark

the horns are mind numbing,i cant believe they dont take a break at ALLLLLLL during the game.

When the first 10,000 take a break the 2nd 10,000 take over and so on :)

WHYYYYYYY are they allowed to use those annoying things?

Who's brilliant idea was that?

I can block out my grandkids breaking the fine china, throwing the cats about and beating the tar out of each other screaming like Banshees, but that dang noise is just like a brain drill :angry2:

Heh, didn't realise this thread existed. I've been over on the Hobbies, Sports and Interests section posting in the thread over there (this ones more popular, lol).

I suppose like anyone else I'm more prone to analyse my own team's performance, so my comments about Australia/Germany are going to be a little more detailed than comments I make about other games. First, full credit to the Germans - they totally outplayed us. We didn't deserve to win, and we should have been more than 2-0 down at half time (at least two other clear opportunities that should have been goals). But the fact is that it was only 2-0.

I've been mostly impressed with the referring so far, but ten minutes into the second half, Germany made a blatant handball inside their penalty area. Despite their dominance, Australia should have taken a goal back to 2-1, and from there, who knows what might have happened - momentum's a funny thing in sport. Then five minutes later, the ref gives a red card to Timmy Cahill for a tackle from behind. I've seen worse tackles this tournament end up with only a yellow. Down a man and 2-0, the game was over, and Germany showed their class.

With nothing to lose, I would have liked to see the coach bring on Harry Kewell to get some match practice, and can only conclude that he's still injured since he didn't play a part. In short, Australia gambled on a defensive team to snatch a draw at the death, and failed.

Hopefully this will be a lesson that we need to play positive football. And with Australia needing to win their last two matches to progress, it may just force a change in the way we are coached to play - Verbeek's been criticised for being negative and he showed that again by not choosing a striker against Germany. Perhaps this is the loss we had to have in order to change the way we have to play in a World Cup.

~ Regards, PA

Other than that, congrats to Ghana (at least they got their handball decision correct). I enjoyed the England/USA game yesterday (had to laugh at the poor English goalie - he's played his last game of the tournament, I think) and congratulations for the draw.Let's be honest - if Tim Howard (USA goalkeeper) was playing for England, the score would have been 3-0, 4-0, maybe even 5-0. Howard as man of the match.

That aside, the opening goal of South Africa/Mexico was a screamer, beautiful lead-up, beautiful counter-attack, and beautiful finish.

Edited by Paranoid Android

I've been mostly impressed with the referring so far, but ten minutes into the second half, Germany made a blatant handball inside their penalty area.

Ball to hand mate, it was point blank range, those never get given.

Deutschland,Deutschland über alles as they say but Australia was poor, never a sending off. but best game by far. cant wait to see Holland play, and Spain.

Actually, that particular phrase is carefully avoided if you're German ;)

I agree, it wasn't a sending off offense but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made in the end.

Rooting for Denmark and so far I'm (pleasantly!) surprised that Holland are not dominating more, I expected them to have a lot more chances. If they do win, I guess it might be something like 1-0.

Think Cameroon-Japan may be quite interesting and am looking forward to enjoying it neutrally lol.

Will most definitely be supporting Paraguay against the Italians later on, hoping against hope they will take a beating.

Actually, that particular phrase is carefully avoided if you're German ;)

I agree, it wasn't a sending off offense but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made in the end.

Rooting for Denmark and so far I'm (pleasantly!) surprised that Holland are not dominating more, I expected them to have a lot more chances. If they do win, I guess it might be something like 1-0.

Think Cameroon-Japan may be quite interesting and am looking forward to enjoying it neutrally lol.

Will most definitely be supporting Paraguay against the Italians later on, hoping against hope they will take a beating.

Me too, was expecting this to be a bit more one-sided, to be honest.

On a side note, someone ban those damn horns!

Edited by queen.overthink

Me too, was expecting this to be a bit more one-sided, to be honest.

On a side note, someone ban those damn horns!

I don't mind them that much but it is a pity you can't hear the singing/chanting properly. Though on the plus side there is lots of dancing!

Own goal? Seriously?!

Lol, you beat me to it! It would be awful if Holland won on that!

Lol, you beat me to it! It would be awful if Holland won on that!

Awww, well at least they've pretty much won fair and square now...

this is only my second world cup to watch so forgive me if this is a really newbi question.but the last time there was a announcer that would scream GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL! every time i see a goal scored i can hear that guy screaming in my head.. did he retire or die,or just not invited back this year..??

this is only my second world cup to watch so forgive me if this is a really newbi question.but the last time there was a announcer that would scream GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL! every time i see a goal scored i can hear that guy screaming in my head.. did he retire or die,or just not invited back this year..??

Watch the Mexican commentary for that, get on ESPN Desportes.

Edited by Mattshark

unfortunately im stuck at work with no cable,i have to catch up on things when i get home.but thanks for the heads up.

Watch the Mexican commentary for that, get on ESPN Desportes.

I think the commentator was Spanish as he was at it in one of the Euro Cups as well.

I have Paraguay to upset Italy later with some brillant counter attacking football when those Romans attempt to play their chess.

Edited by Power Lust

unfortunately im stuck at work with no cable,i have to catch up on things when i get home.but thanks for the heads up.

Holland 2 - Denmark 0

A spectatcular goal line clearance prevented it being 3-0.

I'd say the best 3 times in order of greatness so far are Germany, Argentina then Holland.

yay! Holland won

I'd say the best 3 times in order of greatness so far are Germany, Argentina then Holland.

I'll have to disagree on Holland, I think they did not look convincing, Denmark held their own for the vast majority of the time and gifted them a goal. I'm not convinced :hmm:

I have Paraguay to upset Italy later with some brillant counter attacking football when those Romans attempt to play their chess.

I hope so! They deserved to go out at the group stage last time, hope Paraguay hammer them.....

But Paraguay better beware their not so secret weapon:

Ball to hand mate, it was point blank range, those never get given.

True, I must say I've seen games where they've been ignored, but his hands were out in front of him, and I've seen those given just as often. I can't see how this isn't intentional.

True, I must say I've seen games where they've been ignored, but his hands were out in front of him, and I've seen those given just as often. I can't see how this isn't intentional.

Far too close to be intentional, there is no way Mertesacker could have moved his arm out out the way.

Edited by Mattshark

Far too close to be intentional, there is no way Mertesacker could have moved his arm out out the way.

I can't agree. The hands were up, the context of the game implies an intention....

Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll see....

I can't agree. The hands were up, the context of the game implies an intention....

Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll see....

No mate, sorry, when it is that close, they never get given.

GO PARAGUAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!