Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indoor Ball Lightning

Alternative Delirium

As I write this, there is a moderate thunderstorm raging outside. Literally ten minutes ago, lightning struck very close to my house. The resulting thunder was absolutely deafening, and it felt like the house would crumble to its foundation from the tremor. Several seconds after, I witnessed a small orb of lightning the size of a golf ball appear at the far end of my room, close to the back door. My first impression was that I was seeing things, and if you've read my other posts, you'll understand why. It existed for perhaps two full seconds before simply blinking out. I shook it off and resumed my internet search, assuming it was a hypnagogic hallucination (as it is currently almost one AM). However, just moments after the first orb, a second appeared closer to my bed just to the side of my mirror. This one I saw full on, and watched it the full two or three seconds it remained there before disappearing. At this point I leapt from my futon, ripped the power cord out of my brand new laptop, and headed for the living room repeating "Shitshitshitshit." My eleven-year-old brother was watching TV on the sofa, and my fifteen-year-old sister was stumbling after me into the living room from her bedroom. She was distressed and kept asking me "What?" All I had to say was "Goddamn BALL LIGHTNING" and Ethan (my brother) was nodding in agreement. "I saw it too," he assured me. Three of them, according to him, had appeared in different parts of the living room. Gretchen (sister) was almost in terrified tears, when she cut in that the thunder had woken her, and when she opened her eyes there was a bright ball of light just beside her bed as well.

I was just doing some hasty research on the phenomenon to be sure that that's what we had seen. Apparently, my siblings and I have just witnessed the energy equivalent of the Loch Ness Monster... six times in the span of one minute! I cannot believe that people, respected scientists, contest the existence of such a thing! I am almost driving myself mad thinking about it. I'm sure some of you reading have witnessed this phenomenon for yourselves, and I would like to hear from you. I also have a question, which from the apparent lack of real knowledge on the subject, I fear will go unanswered. Does anyone know if ball lightning can cause adverse effects? Since the instance I have been feeling quite tingly, mostly in my arms and fingers. My siblings haven't said anything to imply that they feel the same. Also, the side of my knee has begun to hurt, and upon inspection it appears that I have a sort of insect bite at the site, or a red mark. The thing is, it doesn't itch. It stings, in fact, like a minor burn. Has anyone ever been burned by ball lightning? I'm not sure this is possible, especially because I had to actual contact with the "orbs" themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have actually seen the ball lightning a few times. People in labs try to recreate this because they still really havent found out what can cause this. As far as being burnt yes once and it was on my arm from jumping around it and I fell on top of it. The effects you can get from these are severe head aches, numbness and unable to control limbs, or unable to control body functions some have actually wet themselves just as if they was tazerd. In bad cases of ball lightning people have suffered from memory loss and even minor heart attacks. The people that have has heart attacks from these Phenoms have been found to be wearing conducting materials. Most ball lightning occours outside but if found inside its an extreme rarity what its doing is it will move sometimes across the floor following the electric currents through the floor be sure during lightning stores you have your stuff unplugged. If these balls hit breakers or outlits it could fry anything. I hope I have helped you gain information about these balls. Your really lucky to have seen this I actually thought I was crazy for seeing it so Ive never reported it. 3% of people have seen these weird balls of lightning. Any other questions feel free to ask ill do the best I can to answer them.

Sounds interesting i wish i could have seen it myself!

• Like 1

i remember reading one of the little house on the prairie books (the third or fourth one i think) and i believe there is a snowstorm outside and they see a few lightning balls around their stove.

really interesting topic. i hope i see one!

• 3 weeks later...

My previous husband and I looked out the window one day, at the same time, and a ball of light flew by. It wasn't raining, just this ball of white light. We looked at each other, ran outside and nothing to be found. This was in the daytime.

• 1 month later...

As a child I had an experience myself with a ball of light. My younger sister and I were in bed doing what girls do "talking" when we saw a light coming from the hall. It got brighter until it came thru the door and hung a right and went under our bed. We just looked at each other completely speechless. I don't know how long we were frozen in place but eventually I got the nerve to look under the bed and there was nothing there. To this day I have no explaination for what it was. I have read about ball lighting but I don't think it fits. I have just figured that I will never know exactly what it was.

• Haha 1

Been hearing a lot of accounts recently of people experiencing a weird blue light in their houses. They think it's ghosts. Maybe it could be ball lightning.

ball_lightning.jpg

• Like 1

There is also the possibility that what we call "ball lightning" are actually spirit balls. Disembodied souls. Japanese culture usually depicts ghosts as balls of light and fire, so I think there is some basis to that. Just saying...

INDOOR LIGHTNING?

Jeez...I thought I had it bad with the odd wasp flying about.

Edited by Eldorado

There is also the possibility that what we call "ball lightning" are actually spirit balls. Disembodied souls. Japanese culture usually depicts ghosts as balls of light and fire, so I think there is some basis to that. Just saying...

Look at my pic above. Seeing as we can create it in a lab and know the science behind it, ball lightning is not spirits.

• Thanks 1

The ball lightning that we witnessed was more of a white phosphorescent color, actually. Honestly, if I were to have seen a blue light instead I may have temporarily thought it was something supernatural as well. But what we all saw was most certainly electrical. And stuntboy92 is right; we are lucky it didn't explode.

I've seen ball lightning twice. The first time I was really small, maybe 5 or 6 and I was at my aunt's house. She lived in a small travel trailer and there was a thunderstorm going on. The ball (only 3 or 4 inches wide) came out of one of the electric outlets and shot into another outlet on the other side of the trailer.

The second time I was 15, living on the Gulf Coast and hurricane Elaina was approaching. There was a lot of thunder and lightning going on outside. I had walked down the hall into my bedroom and then noticed that the room got very bright, when I turned around there was a ball of light a foot wide coming down the hall. It went right past me and out of the window on the other side of my room.

Look at my pic above. Seeing as we can create it in a lab and know the science behind it, ball lightning is not spirits.

Maybe spirits can be created in the laboratory? Idk.

Maybe spirits can be created in the laboratory? Idk.

They can, but are usually created in a distillery.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So , they are male?....Why does not the rest of their body not show for us , just the spirit balls?

Maybe someone should just "kick em'" when they see them?

Edited by Sakari

So , they are male?....Why does not the rest of their body not show for us , just the spirit balls?

Gaaah. No, I didn't mean they were testicles. I mean they were disembodied essence of dead people, and the entirety are shaped like spheres.

I witnessed this yesterday. My daughters and I were in our media room when all of a sudden a bright white ball appeared right in front of us, it was a out the size of a golf ball, perfectly shaped, very bright and kind of floated in an up and down motion. My 3 year old turned to me and said MOM it's lightning! My 2 year old pointed to it and yelled MOON! It lasted for a good minute or so. It was a bright and sunny day, no thunderstorms. Freaked me out completely!

They can, but are usually created in a distillery.

Rofl. :lol:

• 7 years later...

I distinctly remember as a small child, visiting a friend of my Mom's. It was early evening and there was a severe storm. My brothers and I were sitting in the living room with the front door open and the screen door closed. A large ( about 12" in Diameter) white electrical ball rolled through the screen door and circled the living room 3 times before crashing into a large bronze or brass horse head under the TV.

Edited by fsquires3

Very interesting topic and something I haven't thought about in a very long time and I'm surprised by the amount of you all that have seen it

i remember a story my grandma told one night with a number of the adults in the room, I was very little then and it was a long time ago. From what I remember her telling there was a ball of orange light came through the house and I believe she said it flew into the light socket. 

I seem to remember her saying there was more than one in the story? And I can't recall if it was during a storm and if it damaged the socket.

she had a few stories of weird things happening in her life growing up. So many stories like those get lost over time as we grow older and the older generation of family are no longer with us to retell a old story.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I got some pictures taken of my dog where I think some ball lightning was to blame.  I didnt see anything but something is on the pictures. I am only allowed to upload 1 as a new member,

ghost2.jpg

Edited by Sam Slade
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sam Slade said:

I got some pictures taken of my dog where I think some ball lightning was to blame.  I didnt see anything but something is on the pictures. I am only allowed to upload 1 as a new member,

ghost2.jpg

Cute dog. I can't remember what its called but I think  I know what that light thingy is called.