Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indoor Ball Lightning

Alternative Delirium

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

@ThereWeAreThen I think it is called a ‘finger’.

Lint too :yes:

• Haha 2

@Alternative Delirium Well I know for fact that Ball Lightening exists, and I disagree that the scientific community says otherwise. I have seen the Phenomenon myself years back after a lightening strike in a Rice Field. What I saw was shaped like a ball, and it moved out of the area where the lighten strike occurred. It moved around 25 meters just floating across the field and then it disappeared in a very bright flash. From what I have read on the subject it has been known to enter homes through spaces around doors and down fire places with an open flue. Since Ball Lightening consists of plasma it would be very hot if it touched you, so I doubt it would leave a mark like a bug bite, it it touched you it would leave a burn. 

One of the papers below is a scientific study dated from 1964 that proposes a interesting theory. That Ball Lightening is only partly caused by the lightening strike. You see when lightening begins to move from a cloud to the ground ( which is a positive AC charge ) a negative  DC charge moves up from the Earth surface to meet the lightening strike. When the two meet a clap of thunder is heard as the DC and AC charges meet. This in rare situations will create the phenomenon we call Ball Lightening, which is a negatively charged Plasma concentration. This is according to one of the papers below, which states that a positively charged Plasma discharge would not be able to maintain cohesion because of lack of additional power to maintain it. 

However, since the Earths surface is negatively charged ( Grounded )  and since DC charges can support the adhesion of a spherical ball of plasma it is suspected according to the paper below that Ball Lightening is actually a negatively charged phenomenon that can only occur with perfect conditions and during lightening storms.

I enjoyed the topic, it brought back some memories I had forgotten.

Below are a few Scientific papers on the Subject that have reproduced the effect and have concluded it is a real Phenomenon.

https://www.fulviofrisone.com/attachments/article/236/pA390_1.pdf

https://www.scienceinschool.org/sites/default/files/teaserMaterial/issue12_nature_abrahamson2000.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jianyong-Cen/publication/260004540_Observation_of_the_Optical_and_Spectral_Characteristics_of_Ball_Lightning/links/5d0df6a5458515c11cedb4c9/Observation-of-the-Optical-and-Spectral-Characteristics-of-Ball-Lightning.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2010 at 5:09 AM, _Only said:

Look at my pic above. Seeing as we can create it in a lab and know the science behind it, ball lightning is not spirits.

You are certainly correct, and they have been creating for many years. See my other post below I included links to a few Scientific papers where conducted experiments and also produced it a Lab. They also have formulated its existence through mathematical formulas, its  good read if you find time.

Take Care. 

I've seen ball lightning indoors on two occasions. Two glowing balls the size of melons slowly moving through the room.  Witnessed by my wife too.

• Like 1

My dad among many of his hobby interests was trying to make ball lightening in his shop he had all the cool tesla sparking machines etc, he had been a navy jet tech and firmly believed from his own experences that foo fighters were in the same folder as ball lightening,  ( the orginal foo fighters which buzzed prop planes ).

My step mother kept him from likely frying himself but he did have cool experences.

My parents both saw ball lightning. From the posts in this thread alone, it would appear that it is definitely a thing.

My opinion, fluffy white dog = dog hairs on the lens 

cute dog!

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Did you hear any buzzing sounds? Your heart can be effected by lightening where it can even be stopped. You will feel contact and know it by the pain in all your joints, and it can leave red dots all over near veins in your body among other things.

I have seen this phenomenon years ago at midnight in our living room but I wasn't at home.
I was visiting family in Europe at that time and bored at one night so I accessed a camera on my cell phone, a camera we've setup in our living room at home, a long time ago to monitor our dogs. It was at night, pitch dark, and I could see some small little floating balls, full of what seemed electricity and with different colours. It was quite cool to see and they were just floating and moving in a straight line through our living room. Little balls of energy. I wished I had taped it at the time so I could show you guys. Anyways, we moved the camera since, because our dogs are all grown now, but I have been thinking of putting the camera back again at the same spot and see if I can catch it again some night.