Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Legend of Sink Hole Sam

Still Waters

Once upon a time near a town known as Inman, in the land of Kansas, a legend was born — a legend that 50 years ago would bring this sleepy little town notoriety for a time. The legend became that of Sink Hole Sam.

Believe it or not, prior to the 1920s, a string of small freshwater lakes stretched across part of central Kansas, coming within a couple miles of the town of Inman.It is reported people from around the state actually came here to fish in those lakes.

Eventually the lakes were drained, leaving Lake Inman, and a few low pockets of water now known as “sinkholes.” Inman Lake remains as the largest natural lake in the state. The largest of the sinkholes took the astonishing name “the big sinkhole.”

Here a legend was born in the form of a large serpent-like creature became Sink Hole Sam. People speculated that Sam had been living in some prehistoric underground cavern that had somehow filled with water from the sinkhole, allowing him to finally venture forth. Evidently no one got close enough to see if the creature should be named Sam or Samantha, but I’ll stay true to the legend and use “him.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• Still Waters

• wematanye

• Amaranthe90

Top Posters In This Topic

The name Sink Hole Sam, has me humming the tune to the cartoon Earthworm Jim.

Another lake monster. Someday I hope people get good pics/video of a lake monster. Most of them I think are eels, or sturgeon or perhaps green logs.

• 3 weeks later...
Here a legend was born in the form of a large serpent-like creature became Sink Hole Sam. People speculated that Sam had been living in some prehistoric underground cavern that had somehow filled with water from the sinkhole, allowing him to finally venture forth. Evidently no one got close enough to see if the creature should be named Sam or Samantha, but I’ll stay true to the legend and use “him.”

Probably a cotton-mouth or a water moccasin. That's all. Just saying...

I use to live in Newton, KS, and I've never heard of this before.

Seems like a fairly outdated folk-tale.