Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration l

Agent X

not many

source

70% of Arizona Voters Favor New State Measure Cracking Down On Illegal Immigration

The Arizona legislature has now passed the toughest measure against illegal immigration in the country, authorizing local police to stop and check the immigration status of anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that 70% of likely voters in Arizona approve of the legislation, while just 23% oppose it.

Opponents of the measure, including major national Hispanic groups, say it will lead to racial profiling, and 53% of voters in the state are concerned that efforts to identify and deport illegal immigrants also will end up violating the civil rights of some U.S. citizens. Forty-six percent (46%) don’t share that concern

Those figures include 23% who are very concerned and 18% who are not at all concerned.

Civil rights concerns were a bit higher last year. following a series of aggressive enforcement actions by the Maricopa County Sherriff.

Eighty-three percent (83%) of Arizona voters say a candidate's position on immigration is an important factor in how they will vote, including 51% who say it’s very important.

My link

It also says that:

Sixty percent (60%) of Democrats and 57% of unaffiliateds are concerned that the law may lead to possible civil rights violations against U.S. citizens. Fifty-four percent (54%) of Republicans are not very or not at all concerned about this.

But being concerned about it does not contradict the support, as you can still support a law and be concerned about its effects.

Edited by Agent X

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• Orkid

• Agent X

• venqax

Top Posters In This Topic

[url="http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/arizona/70_of_arizona_voters_

But being concerned about it does not contradict the support, as you can still support a law and be concerned about its effects.

True. I'm concerned about potential abuses in the Patriot Acts, but I support them overall. Likewise the AZ laws. Obviously there is the potential for US citizens to be improperly treated. But the size and scope of the problem warrants those risks, and the negative affects are not that severe, e.g. life threatening, life destructive, etc. A Hispanic citizen may have problems with being questioned or detained that he shouldn't be. He is not in danger of being wrongly deported or imprisoned.

Every time I hear comments like that I think of the movie "Born In East LA" in which an American was deported to Mexico.

That makes no sense at all. It's reference is a sentence fragment. If even you have an idea of what you're talking about ninja, try to explain it better.

Sure. The. Constitution. was. not. locked. in. stone. Laws. have. been. passed. since.

is that slow enough ?

That's not unemployment *snip* That's a labor shortage. That is the opposite of unemployment.

If there is a labor shortage then there can't be unemployment, right?

No, because there is no light there is not necessarily shadow. You could have hundreds of unemployed car mechanics and be in want of 20 teachers.

Warnings: Michelle, Venqax, Ninjadude, et al.

If you cannot discuss the topics reasonably but must resort to hyperbole, exaggeration, name-calling and snide remarks, be prepared to sit on the sidelines for days or weeks, depending on your behavior.

Name-calling and snide remarks, OK enough, I suppose, but aren't hyperbole, exaggeration fair game?

Sure. The. Constitution. was. not. locked. in. stone. Laws. have. been. passed. since.

is that slow enough ?

Doubt you've ever been accused of being too quick, ninja. The turtle's a good totem. The Const is not "locked in stone" [sic] but it doesn't "expire" either. It can be amended thru the amendment process, is that's what you mean? But I don't know how you think the fact that laws have been passed since the Const, is relevant to the issue of whether a constitutional principle applies to something. ?? Constitutional principles always apply to law. That's one of the basic rules of jurisprudence (that means matters of law). And, in any case, I am talking about current Constitutional law when I reference the neutrality of the law assumption.

Overall, no. Sector by sector, sure. But they are certainly not the same thing, as you were saying in, "Unemployment will be among the worst in the nation because of unfilled jobs".

Edited by venqax

Overall, no. Sector by sector, sure. But they are certainly not the same thing, as you were saying in, "Unemployment will be among the worst in the nation because of unfilled jobs".

Exactly. Sectors that use undocumented workers will be hit the hardest. Agriculture.