Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ticking clocks

Stormynight

Hello,what a great forum , interesting topics,interesting people,glad i found it,but anyway,I am a 25yr old male,living near Glasgow,Scotland.

When i lived with my parents i had a bedroom downstairs and experienced many strange things growing up.

On countless ocassions i would hear a clock ticking,even though i knew without a doubt there was no clocks in the room.

It sounded like it was coming from inside the wall,yet would move round the room at random and slow down and speed up at random also.

Several of my friends at the time also heard it,and it had a habit of appearing right next to the wall my bed was pressed against,especially at night when i was alone.

Listening to it slow down and speed up used to give me the creeps,as if something horrible was going to happen and this was a countdown to it.

The house i grew up in was allegedly haunted,my parents told me that on several occasions they would hear and feel{though at seperate times} someone enter their bedroom and the bed sinking down as if someone had sat on it,they would turn round and noone was there.{though they felt no malice}

I also experienced OldHags Syndrome/Sleep Paralysis in my bedroom when i was 14 ,and even though many believe this to be a medical term,i cant help but think otherwise.

The overwhelming sensation,that something was in the room along with me,all around me,{its presence filled the room}not just the fact i couldnt move,was horrifying.

You know that feeling when someone is looking at you or creeping up behind you and you just kind of know? you can feel it?

Thats how i would describe it,though nowhere near the same magnitude.

When i was younger i spent a lot of my time reading books about the occult,paranormal,Satanism,Black Magik etc..{curiousity,nothing else}

My mother made me take them all back to the library or give them away,as she felt having such books in the house or reading them,was an invitation for bad spirits/entities/ etc...

Anyway, for a first post i think ive talked enough,though i would be grateful if anyone could tell me about ticking clocks and their meaning.

"To live is to die" Cliff Burton.

• Like 1

Honestly, the ticking sounds more organic in nature, such as an insect or rodent of some kind, due to the variations in speed that you mentioned. That your friends heard it as well would back this up.

Sleep paralysis does seem to be very common around that age, and it is frequently accompanied by the 'ghostly' sensations, due to your mind activity catching up with your body re-booting for the day. It's fairly well established and easily reproduced.

As you may have noticed, I'm pretty much a skeptic, meaning I'll try to find a rational and simple explanation before I start considering the more esoteric claims I come across ;-)

Welcome to the Forum, and I hope to see you in many of the threads!

Mabe you were killed by a bomb in a past life?

I don't know about ticking clocks, but I hate ALARM CLOCKS. grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif

• 6 years later...

hello...

I cannot imagine that somebody have the same experience like I do...is incredible...I hear the same ticking noise who it come from nowhere , who come from the air without any source to can produce it...and I have the same sleep paralisye( I call this ,,Out of body Experience" ).Everithyng begin when I have the first ,,sleep paralisie"...I was in to my mother house...and also my mother and my father hear the strange sound..and after that, the phenomen continue when I arrive in my house at 200 killometres away from my parents house...it was like that sound hounted me and follow me...I imagine that it is a spirit who come in this world using a gate that I opened when I have the sleep paralisie...I dont have any normal answer...It was a ticking noise who dont give me fear or other feeling...it was that ,,something" who was all the time with me in my room and in my house ...I was reding on another forum about another persson who have the same strange experience of ticking noise but that persson was from New Zeeland...I am from Romania...is strange ...really...

Mabe you were killed by a bomb in a past life?

Or Captain Hook re-incarnated!

Have you spent much time around clicking and ticking sounds? Could be residual noise in your mind.

I have never heard of a ticking clock supernatural event. Have you seen any shadows and or figures of people that aren't there out the corner of your eyes? I know when I was a kid and I lived in a house that was haunted I saw stuff like that. It also turned door knobs, turned on the radio and TV and did other creepy stuff. Your event sounds more like either natural like aquatus1 said or Residual Haunting Activity. You should try to get a recording of the ticking and post on here.

Welcome to UM.

Right off hand it sounds like you are hearing the sounds water pipes make when they heat up or cool down. Same with the house structures too such as floors and walls.

If there is stone or brick involved then that too could account for some of the noise.

As for the "presence" I have felt that too when I was little and would be in the back room of my house. It did feel creepy and hated to be in there alone until I found out, with my fathers help, that there was a large stream of underground water which was flowing underneath part of our house.

The resulting telluric energy created that feeling. Bad wiring or improperly insulated wires can do that too.

I am not really reading anything that would indicate anything paranormal.

• Like 1

I think you need to go back to an altered state( sleep pralysis)and see if you can confront this thing. If not, it could be as the others sugest.

Is the ticking all the time? Or just some times?

• Like 1

I sometimes hear a ticking as well, but i always figure its just something in the house doing it.

Though something about a big grandfather clock in the house ticking away would be very peaceful indeed. :D

• Like 1

Hello,what a great forum , interesting topics,interesting people,glad i found it,but anyway,I am a 25yr old male,living near Glasgow,Scotland.

When i lived with my parents i had a bedroom downstairs and experienced many strange things growing up.

On countless ocassions i would hear a clock ticking,even though i knew without a doubt there was no clocks in the room.

It sounded like it was coming from inside the wall,yet would move round the room at random and slow down and speed up at random also.

Several of my friends at the time also heard it,and it had a habit of appearing right next to the wall my bed was pressed against,especially at night when i was alone.

Listening to it slow down and speed up used to give me the creeps,as if something horrible was going to happen and this was a countdown to it.

The house i grew up in was allegedly haunted,my parents told me that on several occasions they would hear and feel{though at seperate times} someone enter their bedroom and the bed sinking down as if someone had sat on it,they would turn round and noone was there.{though they felt no malice}

I also experienced OldHags Syndrome/Sleep Paralysis in my bedroom when i was 14 ,and even though many believe this to be a medical term,i cant help but think otherwise.

The overwhelming sensation,that something was in the room along with me,all around me,{its presence filled the room}not just the fact i couldnt move,was horrifying.

You know that feeling when someone is looking at you or creeping up behind you and you just kind of know? you can feel it?

Thats how i would describe it,though nowhere near the same magnitude.

When i was younger i spent a lot of my time reading books about the occult,paranormal,Satanism,Black Magik etc..{curiousity,nothing else}

My mother made me take them all back to the library or give them away,as she felt having such books in the house or reading them,was an invitation for bad spirits/entities/ etc...

Anyway, for a first post i think ive talked enough,though i would be grateful if anyone could tell me about ticking clocks and their meaning.

"To live is to die" Cliff Burton.

When I was little I spent the night at my grandmother's a lot because my mom had to work midnights. Anyways she always had this old fashioned ticking clock. The ticking sound always put me to sleep and still to this day ticking clocks still put me to sleep. But anyways sometimes when there are no clocks around (or one's that tick anyway) I will still hear ticking. I'm not sure what it is but I think I could just be some sort of auditory hallucination I hear because I heard it so much when I was a kid for so long that it's just always there with me. But sometimes when I hear a clock ticking and there is no clock I like to think that it's my grandmother watching over me.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this is late in the piece, but I have specifically been searching for "ticking in the wall" for a while now, and this forum does cover it. My sister and I had an odd and protracted experience with ticking in our wall/s in our bedroom when we were in our early to mid teens. It would be located either on her side of the room where her bed was against the wall, or my side of the room where my bed was against the wall. As someone else here said, the ticking would quicken and slow and quicken again, it would even change sides during the same ticking session, and whenever either of us would speak about the ticking it would stop. It would not stop when we spoke of any other subject. It was very difficult to get anyone to believe that it was happening. We devised a plan, that without discussion, the next time the ticking began whoever was on the opposite side would slip out quietly and get Mum, who was told not to speak of it while she was in the room. It happened, she came, and was just as stumped as us. The house was built new, on grazing land in New Zealand.

We moved out in 1980. We were moving to Australia and stayed at my Grandma's place for a couple of weeks before we left. My sister and I were amazed when on the third night we were there, the ticking began in the wall next to my bed.

After we moved to Australia, we had been in our new house for a week when the ticking started next to my bed again. It was very weak and erratic. That was the last time that I heard it, but I still remember it and think of it often as I am a scientist and very much like to have an explanation for everything. It is a little insulting to have folk say that it is water pipes or rodents. I know what they sound like. Ticking is ticking.

I've only heard pipes banging one time, and it sure didn't sound like a clock. My wife and I were outside of Boston staying at her uncle's place, we had just gone to bed and the steam heat kicked on. Since we're from Florida we had never heard that, and we were sure that some hideous apparition was going to appear. It wasn't rhythmic and it was loud.

• 7 months later...

Hi. I know this thread is pretty much dead but I thought I would document my experience for anyone else who searches this topic. From the ages of 12-16 I lived in a new ish house way out in the country. The house's piping was all down the other end and I am fairly certain there were no bugs in the walls. Every night I would hear, for perhaps 2-3 hours, starting at about 9pm a ticking noise. Sometimes it would be at the same rate as a clock but most of the time it was a lot faster.

I would turn on the lights and try and find whatever was making the noise but I never had any success. I kept all clocks out of my room and checked power plugs. The worst thing about the ticking noise would be that during the night, it would move. It would start from the wall and get closer and further away it terrified me so much. Fortunately it stopped when I moved from that house.

The property that the house is on is slightly freaky. There are a few dilapidated farm buildings such as an old cow shed and pig sty and just across a paddock there are some car wrecks that have been thrown down a hill. There were also heaps of animals bones spread through the trees covering the hill. I think there was something there. The only other time something scary/paranormal feeling happened was when soft toys moved around my room.

I've also heard strange ticking coming from my son's bedroom fairly recently. I thought it was water dripping either in the pipes or I had sprung a leak! I eventually found the culprit after a few nights though - it was a Big Trak toy in his room under a desk that was running low on batteries and kept emitting the "tick" sound.. Mystery solved in my house! :)

I hate posting in ancient threads but maybe it was an electric meter or something of that sort.

• 1 year later...

Hi I am 16 year old, and I have been hearing the exact same noise all my life. I used to share a room with my brother when we were younger, and we could both hear this "ticking" noise in the room. (We have never had a ticking clock in he house.) We would search around for it but could never find it. It would get louder and quieter, just like I have read in other stories.

We have moved houses and cities but it is like something has followed us. We are a religious family and it is strange that this happens. It seems like it is in the walls and it moves around. I feel shaky as I type this and I don't like talking about it. But it is weird how my brother doesn't hear it anymore but I still do.

This morning I heard it in my room and I told my mum if she could hear it. She was standing right in-front of me and I could hear it clearly but for some reason she couldn't! I know that it is no insect, and I hate when people assume that's what it is. > :(

I am from New Zealand and I feel glad that other people in the world know how I feel. I feel like I am being watched at night and I hate going to bed.

Edited by JordanDrummer

• 8 months later...

Me and my family have heard this ticking/tapping sound since 2004, i used to think it was just something to do with the electricals in the walls, but when i heard two sets of ticking noises at the same time, one fast and one slightly slower i was afraid.

Still though i thought it must be something to do with houses, but at autume time last year i went out in to a open field to meditate and a heard it then. So clearly its some sort of presence that can move about. The most recent time i heard it was a few days ago, i was chilling in my room and i heard it, so i decided to listen to some music, but when i put my headphones on the ticking got louder and then i took them of it got softer. What ever it is i wants who ever hears it to listen.

At least if you ever doubt that there is a god, like i may have done in the past, this is evidence that something exists outside of our human existance.

Next time i hear it i will record it and post it on here for you, but be warned as it may haunt you.

• 11 months later...

I experienced a faint ticking noise when growing up in my parents house. I am from a very religious family and my mum would explain it as ticking demons. It would spead up and slow down during the night. It would also start randomly both at night and during the day. I didn't really feel afraid though. I would pray and feel at peace. I also live in New Zealand. 

4 hours ago, Simeann said:

I experienced a faint ticking noise when growing up in my parents house. I am from a very religious family and my mum would explain it as ticking demons. It would spead up and slow down during the night. It would also start randomly both at night and during the day. I didn't really feel afraid though. I would pray and feel at peace. I also live in New Zealand. 

I am quite surprised that as a child your mum told you they are ticking Demons.

They are certain insects which make that sound, usually when eating away wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to keep this article alive but im listening to a noise just like that now. Its followed me for as long as i can remember and i totally understand. I only just discovered other people have heard it and, although it is right to be sceptical, the noise is quite unexplainable to me. I've moved house many many times, even once where the majority of my possessions did not move with me and i have always heard it. The volume of the noise constantly changes and there's about two beats a second but im not sure whether its a sign to see a doctor or just something that cant or doesn't want to be explained.

2 hours ago, Snertsnork said:

Sorry to keep this article alive but im listening to a noise just like that now. Its followed me for as long as i can remember and i totally understand. I only just discovered other people have heard it and, although it is right to be sceptical, the noise is quite unexplainable to me. I've moved house many many times, even once where the majority of my possessions did not move with me and i have always heard it. The volume of the noise constantly changes and there's about two beats a second but im not sure whether its a sign to see a doctor or just something that cant or doesn't want to be explained.

Hi,

1) Why wouldn't you have seen a doctor yet? How old are you?

2) See a doctor.

3) Take out the batteries and throw out the clock/watch you've been carrying around. Then please see a doctor.

It could be a number of things, some very serious, some not so much.

• Like 2