Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM forums IPB update (June 21st)

Saru

The forums have been updated today to a newer version of the Invision Board software that brings with it a few new features and changes.

Notifications System

Prior to this update there were two ways to keep track of new profile comments, new threads, new posts etc. - either via private message or via an e-mail notification. A third option has now been added called "Inline notifications", these are essentially notices that are displayed on your profile box in a new drop-down menu at the top right hand corner of the page. You can set up your notifications to let you know about anything and everything on the forums that interest you from a new friend request to when someone quotes one of your posts in a thread. A box will also appear on the sidebar on the board index to display your notifications as well. The private messanger now falls under the notifications system as well so in addition to the green "new messages" box you can have a notification set up to let you know about new personal message conversations and replies.

To set up how you'd like the forum to notify you about things go to My Settings and select Notification Options from the menu on the left.

Topic Preview

It is now possible to see a preview of the first and last posts in a thread from the forum view without having to enter the thread. Hovering your mouse over the topic you will see a small icon appear on the right, clicking it will open a window giving you a glimpse of what's going on in the thread without having to go in there.

Profile and status system revamp

The status bar on profiles has now been expanded to accomodate a complete Facebook/Twitter style status system. You can now post status updates to your profile as often as you like and these will be archived and made available for viewing by yourself and other members. A full view of all the latest status updates is available both from your profile page and on a new sidebar block on the board index from which you can also update your own. In addition to this it is now possible to post replies to status updates, you can also "lock" your own status entries if you don't want anyone to comment.

To accomodate this new system the profile pages have been slightly redesigned with the profile fields down the side, the "about me" page is still there and can be accessed via the tabs at the top. The old comments system is also still there and works the same as before.

New mobile phone skin

A new skin has been added for mobile phone users, this new skin features a number of improvements for mobile users over using the default or lo-fi skins and will make using the UM forums on the go a lot easier.

Other changes

A number of minor changes have been made throughout the forums so you'll likely come across them on your travels, other things to look out for are the new "Share this topic" social bookmarking options and an improved search system

---------------------------------------------

As this update is still very new there may be a few things that need to be tweaked and fixed, if you run in to any errors or problems while using the forums or have any questions on how any of the new features work please let me know.

Thank you.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Princess Serenity

• stevewinn

• Pauly Dangerously

Okay. The board itself looks like it hasn't loaded all the way up. >.> Am I the only one who's getting this? I tried refreshing it but nothing.

What browser are you using ?

What browser are you using ?

IE8. (Its the only browswer I have on my computer.) It wasn't like this last night.

Is this happening on every forum page or only on specific one(s) ?

How much of the page loads, at what point does it stop ?

Is this happening on every forum page or only on specific one(s) ?

How much of the page loads, at what point does it stop ?

It just happening to the whole board. Not just a section.

I made Star and White get on the board. And its loading for them.

It just happening to the whole board. Not just a section.

I made Star and White get on the board. And its loading for them.

So on this thread for example, how much of it can you see and what parts specifically are missing ?

How about on the board index, what specific parts are missing on there ?

So on this thread for example, how much of it can you see and what parts specifically are missing ?

How about on the board index, what specific parts are missing on there ?

Like colors and such. Some of the buttons won't appear but the text does.

I looked at the buttom of the board. I switched to "UM 3.1 (IE6 Compatability)" then I switched back to the "UM 3.1" and everything's fine now.

Edited by Moon Princess

Ok I think it'll work for you now, I believe it was a cache issue on this end.

Ok I think it'll work for you now, I believe it was a cache issue on this end.

Okay. Thanks, Saru. Everything's fine now. ^_^

No problem, if anyone else was experiencing this issue it should now be resolved for them as well. :tu:

I will be honest, the page looks terribly busy. There are a lot of things to click and see but from my chair, it don't see it being necessary.

Thanks for all the work Saru, looking great in many new ways! :tu:

Only one thing I was a little sad to see was that the "about me" page isn't the first thing people see when they visit a profile, it's the recent status update page instead.

A lot of us have put some interesting stuff on our about me page and it's nice to visit someone's profile and see it pop up immediately, now we have to dig for it a bit...

It was great before with the comments and pictures and friends etc all on one page... :)

Edited by Hugh

love the new mobile skin.

Yes, it is nice, and the reply to text box actually fits now, I used to hate having to make it smaller always >_<

I cannot seem to find the ignore function? Is it just me?

Also I wish the About Me page would load by default instead of the Status Update page when visiting someone's profile. I guess with all the 'status update' rage going everywhere is the reason why.

I cannot seem to find the ignore function? Is it just me?

Click "Manage ignored users" from your profile box drop-down menu at the top right.

Mobile skin? You mean the shoutbox?

Mobile skin? You mean the shoutbox?

No its a new layout for the forum that you see when accessing it from a mobile phone, makes it easier to use on the smaller screen.

In a reply of mine I pasted a URL of a video and the video actually appeared in my reply! If this is a result of an update, thank you thank you thank you. :)

Yes that's a new change to make it easier to post videos without needing to use media tags. :tu:

I was wondering what happened to people's pic's on there profile's seems they have disappeared including mine.