Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two racist thugs jailed for threatening to '

chemical-licker

Two racist thugs jailed for threatening to 'cut the throats' of Asian reporters making undercover BBC documentary

Two yobs who hurled a string of racist abuse at undercover reporters during a BBC documentary have been jailed for a total of nearly four years.

Sean Ganderton and Martin Durnell systematically 'bullied and threatened' Asian journalists Amil Khan and Tamanna Rahman whilst being secretly filmed on Panorama.

Ganderton, 23, was filmed telling Mr Khan he should walk in the road because then it would be 'Bye bye ****', before punching him in the head

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288551/Racist-thugs-threatened-cut-throats-undercover-BBC-reporters-locked-up.html#ixzz0rZbIOeFF

I don't like violence but 4 years?? :blink: I've had worse and the person got let off.

Is this to incite for more violence :unsure2:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• ExpandMyMind

• H.H. Holmes

• JamieSymptom

Two racist thugs jailed for threatening to 'cut the throats' of Asian reporters making undercover BBC documentary

Two yobs who hurled a string of racist abuse at undercover reporters during a BBC documentary have been jailed for a total of nearly four years.

Sean Ganderton and Martin Durnell systematically 'bullied and threatened' Asian journalists Amil Khan and Tamanna Rahman whilst being secretly filmed on Panorama.

Ganderton, 23, was filmed telling Mr Khan he should walk in the road because then it would be 'Bye bye ****', before punching him in the head

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288551/Racist-thugs-threatened-cut-throats-undercover-BBC-reporters-locked-up.html#ixzz0rZbIOeFF

I don't like violence but 4 years?? :blink: I've had worse and the person got let off.

Is this to incite for more violence :unsure2:

Four years for minor assault and harassment is almost unheard of where I live. Those two hooligans, who are just eighteen, don't deserve the sentence they got. I'm all against racism and just plain ugliness, but these are just some young punks probably with nothing better to do but get a thrill out of victimizing others. A couple months of jail and some community service would of been a much more fitting punishment, IMHO.

I can sympathize with those asian reporters, though. I've been harassed for being white going into a black neighborhood by the typical, young "thug" types that seem to hang around on the streets. I don't think that it's about racism, per say, but more of a "black sheep" kind of thing. If you stick out, then you are going to get both good and bad attention. That's just the way it is, I suppose, with these types, no matter what race, who are just looking for trouble.

Two absolute brats spend eight weeks harassing, threatening and physically abusing a man and a woman, are filmed doing so every step of the way, and when they're finally imprisoned all you can do is speculate that someone decided to imprison them to get a rise out of people?

The reason why they were sentenced, and so strongly, is, I'm sure, because their actions were caught on camera over an eight week period.

The only shame here is that we don't have the resources to deal with all of these types of people.

Edited by Raptor

i remember these two Asian reporters, these two were planted "undercover" to show how racist Britain really is. by the BBC's Panorama.

in order for the program to achieve its aim of look at the poor Moslem. look how bad they are treated. cry cry. which cost 1.2 million to make they didn't plant these two reporters in a nice affluent area, NO they planted them right in the heart of a housing estate which as suffered greatly from years of neglect resulting in high poverty - crime and anti social behaviour and most of all a housing estate were no ethnics lived. and guess what the outcome was, yes you guessed it two Asians getting abuse from the natives.

The whole program was a set up. and to make a point about being racist the courts have seen fit to lock these two lads up for four years. coming down on them like a tonne of bricks.

the two lads should receive some sort of punishment for their behaviour. but four years is too harsh.maybe 60 days jail and proper community service thereafter for 6 months would have been better.

in this country you only get long jail sentences in three circumstances. 1, you are racist, 2 you rob a lot of money. especially from the state. or 3, you murder someone and it gets media attention.

i remember these two Asian reporters, these two were planted "undercover" to show how racist Britain really is. by the BBC's Panorama.

in order for the program to achieve its aim of look at the poor Moslem. look how bad they are treated. cry cry. which cost 1.2 million to make they didn't plant these two reporters in a nice affluent area, NO they planted them right in the heart of a housing estate which as suffered greatly from years of neglect resulting in high poverty - crime and anti social behaviour and most of all a housing estate were no ethnics lived. and guess what the outcome was, yes you guessed it two Asians getting abuse from the natives.

The whole program was a set up. and to make a point about being racist the courts have seen fit to lock these two lads up for four years. coming down on them like a tonne of bricks.

the two lads should receive some sort of punishment for their behaviour. but four years is too harsh.maybe 60 days jail and proper community service thereafter for 6 months would have been better.

in this country you only get long jail sentences in three circumstances. 1, you are racist, 2 you rob a lot of money. especially from the state. or 3, you murder someone and it gets media attention.

well said sir, *tips hat*

You are spot on that this whole "documentary" was an attempt to draw controversy over stirring up racial divides. This would be the same thing as couple of blacks going into a low income, rural, white area of the South, i.e. not a good idea in the first place. I don't know much about racism in britain, but wherever there are low income neighborhoods that have an ethnic majority you are going to have racism.

...they didn't plant these two reporters in a nice affluent area, NO they planted them right in the heart of a housing estate which as suffered greatly from years of neglect resulting in high poverty - crime and anti social behaviour and most of all a housing estate were no ethnics lived. and guess what the outcome was, yes you guessed it two Asians getting abuse from the natives.

The whole program was a set up.

You're saying that the show was a set up because, in trying to convey some of the racist attitudes that exist today, they unfairly chose an area where these attitudes exist?

That's a bit like an oil company saying that it's unfair to take photos of an oil spill, and that reporters should instead be taking photos of a crystal clear ocean on the other side of the world to fairly represent the situation.

Of course, by definition, if you're reporting a problem then you're going to turn your attention to where the problem exists.

You're saying that the show was a set up because, in trying to convey some of the racist attitudes that exist today, they unfairly chose an area where these attitudes exist?

That's a bit like an oil company saying that it's unfair to take photos of an oil spill, and that reporters should instead be taking photos of a crystal clear ocean on the other side of the world to fairly represent the situation.

Of course, by definition, if you're reporting a problem then you're going to turn your attention to where the problem exists.

And people fall for it all the time.

Judge Michael Roach jailed Ganderton for two years and sent Durnell to youth custody for 21 months at Bristol Crown Court.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288551/Racist-thugs-threatened-cut-throats-undercover-BBC-reporters-locked-up.html#ixzz0rb8WE9A1

They didn't get 4 years each. The one guy got 2 years in jail. Probably because he is 23 and threw a punch. The other got 21 months in youth custody. Nobody got 4 years.

if anyone is still wondering why the judge gave them such a harsh sentence for 'minor assault', then you should know that as soon any form of racism is proved, all bets are off. judges here go apeshit for that kind of thing. you can get jailed for verbally assaulting someone if you were displaying racism.

I have no sympathy at all for these bottom feeders, but why can't the law be more consistent & dole out these sort of sentences more often. I've just read a story in the paper about a chav that was driving uninsured, with three twenty year old girls in the car & whilst no doubt showing off, ploughed into a tree & killed all three girls. He got six points on his licence & a years driving ban.......speechless.

He got six points on his licence & a years driving ban.......speechless.

So being white and racist earns you more jail time, being a show off and killing people, 6 points, im very confused.:blink:

I have no sympathy at all for these bottom feeders, but why can't the law be more consistent & dole out these sort of sentences more often. I've just read a story in the paper about a chav that was driving uninsured, with three twenty year old girls in the car & whilst no doubt showing off, ploughed into a tree & killed all three girls. He got six points on his licence & a years driving ban.......speechless.

i went to school with a boy who killed two girls in an accident under similar circumstances, he got 9 years. the judge responsible for passing that sentence in the example you gave should be taken off the bench. that's a shocking sentence.

to answer your question (i believe i more or less already have in my previous post though), the reason this sentence (from the OP) is not handed out more often is because our system is extremely lenient on criminals, but when racial hatred is brought into the equation it becomes a different story.

So being white and racist earns you more jail time, being a show off and killing people, 6 points, im very confused.:blink:

that was only one case, chem.

after reading the article, i think the judge more or less made the call he had to. there was no evidence of dangerous driving and as far as i'm aware they can test to find out if there was. so the only real crime committed was not having any insurance.

also, if the three girls had been wearing their seatbelts then they would have had a strong chance of survival as the two boys who were wearing them survived. i have no time for people who don't wear seatbelts. if they crash, they deserve all they get in my opinion.

but after a quick think (like a second after posting), i remember that sentence is always passed for accidental killing (something i do strongly disagree with), no matter the circumstances. is it not? you bump into someone and they fall off a bridge and die, it's manslaughter, which is usually at least 2-4 years.

regardless of his actions behind the wheel, should he not have been charged with at least manslaughter?

Edited by expandmymind

I am eagerly awaiting the BBC's sequel to this documentary, where two white reporters are sent under cover into a Muslim/Asian/Black area.

I wonder how long I'll have to wait?

They got exactly the result they were seeking - The whole thing stinks of 'set-up'!

that was only one case, chem.

look's like you have to expand your mind:lol:

look's like you have to expand your mind:lol:

lol how so?

and itsnotoutthere put up another case

if i'm not mistaken, chem, that was the case he mentioned. was it not? it fits the description.

and as i pointed out, it wasn't exactly black and white.

Ah, I see.

It's a 'set-up' and 'not fair' for a programme that aims to show how racism is a factor in white, low-income areas to actually film in white, low-income areas. Coool.

I suppose the programme would have been more enlightening if the asian couple went to go live in the headquarters of UAF? No racism to report then?

I would welcome a programme where white couple went to live in a predominantly muslim area. I have no doubt there would be similar scenes, but that does not make this programme invalid.

A lot of cases of harassment and violence don't get convictions or substantial sentences. Because it's hard to prove it conclusively a lot of the time. In this case they had it all on film, and the guy got what he deserved.

If you think it's ok to go round harassing someone and punching them because they look different to you, then by all means, go ahead - but hopefully they will be an undercover reporter as well and you will get busted.

JamieSymptom,

I don't think anyone meant to give off the impression that racism or violent behavior was alright.

JamieSymptom,

I don't think anyone meant to give off the impression that racism or violent behavior was alright.

Of course not, that's why we should be happy about reporters exposing it and the criminal courts punishing it, right?

Edited by JamieSymptom

Yes, of course racism should not be tolerated and those who discriminate against others for the color of their skin should be punished in some form.

When I first read the post, I was of the impression that each of the offenders were given four years of jail for what they did. I thought this to be a little extreme, but I don't deny the severity of their actions or the hurt they caused. I just don't think that the punishment of four years was proportionate to the crime they obviously committed. However, due to one of the other posters, I found out their real sentences which were not quite as severe as four years, but still included some time locked up. I think the sentences they got are pretty fair and I hope it teaches them a lesson instead of fueling their hate even more.