Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

Imagine someone would find something that would confirm the OLB...

That's not supposed to happen!!! It would cause a collapse of our dominant culture, a collective identity-crisis.

No, he/she would simply be accused of having created the find him/herself and ridiculed.

'Official' scientists would 'prove' that it is not ancient at all.

LOL

Man, that is bull: you can not just start digging at an archeological site when you're an amateur.

That is the same almost everywhere.

Edited by Abramelin

Evening might be a bit poor but I could see 'above' being more the word, since Hyperborea was termed in relation to it being beyond, or above also.

The name of Europa is of uncertain etymology.[23] One theory suggests that it is derived from the Greek εὐρύς (eurus), meaning "wide, broad"[24] and ὤψ/ὠπ-/ὀπτ- (ōps/ōp-/opt-), meaning "eye, face, countenance",[25] hence Eurṓpē, "wide-gazing", "broad of aspect" (compare with glaukōpis (γλαυκῶπις 'grey-eyed') Athena or boōpis (βοὠπις 'ox-eyed') Hera). Broad has been an epithet of Earth itself in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European religion.[26] Another theory suggests that it is based on a Semitic word such as the Akkadian erebu meaning "to go down, set" (cf. Occident),[27] cognate to Phoenician 'ereb "evening; west" and Arabic Maghreb, Hebrew ma'ariv (see also Erebus, PIE *h1regʷos, "darkness"). However, M. L. West states that "phonologically, the match between Europa's name and any form of the Semitic word is very poor".

Terps are usually built 'above' the ground too.

PS: Rather than exactly above - the word is 'over' = above.

Now you go ask M.L. West about your etymology:

" 'tEurp sounds like the word Europe to me.

Europe may have been so named because it was a land of terp buildings, which is a Frisian word for 'village' basically. The land of villages/terps.

I'm quite serious."

The -t- in 'terp' is not an article.

from PIE *treb- "dwelling"

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=thorp&searchmode=none

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/terp

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/dorp

It's nothing but an ancient word for small settlement; we still have the Dutch word "dorp", a town or village.

I don't see that. Please explain.

Both words, "hel" and "licht" are used in the OLB:

Thrvch tha stjurar Nyhellênja tonômath. This tonôma was god kêren, hwand tha rêd, thêr hju lênade, was ny aend hel bvppa alle ôtherum.

called by the sailors Nyhellenia. This name was well chosen, for her counsels were new and clear above all others.

----

Thach hwat bêrde, an Êgiptalanda thêr wêre en overprester, hel fon âgnum, klâr fon bryn aend licht fon gâst, sin nâm wêre Sêkrops, hy kêm vmb rêd to jêvane.

Then what happened, an Egyptian high priest, bright of eye, clear of brain, and enlightened of mind, whose name was Cecrops, came to give them advice.

And this was the original quote:

Fon thisse kêning is hyr en skryver aefterbilêwen fon rên Fryas blod, baern to thêre nêie have fon Athênia aend hwat hyr folgath het er vs fon ovir Athênia skrêven, thêrut mêi maen bisluta ho wêr thja Moder Hel-licht sproken heth, thâ hja sêide thaet Fryas sêda to Athênia nên stand holde ne kvste.

Van deze koning is hier een schrijver achter(ge)bleven van rein Fryas blood, (ge)boren in de nieuwe haven van Athenia en wat hier volgt heeft'r ons over Athenia geschreven, daaruit mag men besluiten hoe waar de Moeder Hel-licht gesproken heeft, daar zij zeide dat Fryas zeden tot Athenia niet stand houden aan de kusten.

There was left behind by this king a writer of pure Frya’s blood, born in the new harbour of Athens, who wrote for us what follows about Athens, from which may be seen how truly the mother Hel-licht spoke when she said that the customs of Frya could never take firm hold in Athens.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/

It's not about a Mother Hel-licht who had spoken, it's about a Mother who had spoken hel-licht, or who had spoken clear and light/enlightened.

Clear/bright = (Dutch) helder

Enlightened = (Dutch) verlicht.

+++++++

EDIT:

Hellicht is a real word, btw:

hellicht: opbrengst van de jaarlijkse pacht >> Eng: proceeds of the annual rent

http://home.planet.nl/~dumon002/woordenboek/h.html

http://www.hellicht.be/documents/buurt_geschiedenis.html

But I don't think it has anything to do with the OLB "hel-licht".

However, it is still used in the meaning of 'bright light":

http://www.artrevisited.com/artworks/7880/rudolf_hagenaar/hel_licht

Edited by Abramelin

Now you go ask M.L. West about your etymology:

" 'tEurp sounds like the word Europe to me.

Europe may have been so named because it was a land of terp buildings, which is a Frisian word for 'village' basically. The land of villages/terps.

I'm quite serious."

The -t- in 'terp' is not an article.

from PIE *treb- "dwelling"

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=thorp&searchmode=none

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/terp

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/dorp

It's nothing but an ancient word for small settlement; we still have the Dutch word "dorp", a town or village.

I also said I agreed above/over was a better choice, but would not yet rule out my own suggestion since the correct etymology is unknown.

Man, that is bull: you can not just start digging at an archeological site when you're an amateur.

That is the same almost everywhere.

Yeah, I suppose that's true, these days.

Also, about the c. 2200BC date for this catastrophic earth changes. So concerned about finding a comet I forgot the obvious, what about huge earthquakes?

Not surprisingly, many contributors to ARCHAEOSEISMOLOGY present

new data for widespread earthquake damage in ancient Greece at the

end of Late Helladic II (circa 2200 BC) and Late Helladic IIIB

(circa 1200 BC).

http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/cc050797.html

It does mention at the time Atland sank their was also destruction in the Mediterranean.

Egypt also records an earthquake at c. 2200BC, their first known one. Apparently in was in the delta area of Zagazig.

Based on various published catalogs, we have constructed a new comprehensive catalog of earthquakes recorded in the vicinity of Egypt from 2200 B.C. to 2004.

http://srl.geoscienceworld.org/content/76/2/149.short

Both words, "hel" and "licht" are used in the OLB:

Thrvch tha stjurar Nyhellênja tonômath. This tonôma was god kêren, hwand tha rêd, thêr hju lênade, was ny aend hel bvppa alle ôtherum.

called by the sailors Nyhellenia. This name was well chosen, for her counsels were new and clear above all others.

----

Thach hwat bêrde, an Êgiptalanda thêr wêre en overprester, hel fon âgnum, klâr fon bryn aend licht fon gâst, sin nâm wêre Sêkrops, hy kêm vmb rêd to jêvane.

Then what happened, an Egyptian high priest, bright of eye, clear of brain, and enlightened of mind, whose name was Cecrops, came to give them advice.

And this was the original quote:

Fon thisse kêning is hyr en skryver aefterbilêwen fon rên Fryas blod, baern to thêre nêie have fon Athênia aend hwat hyr folgath het er vs fon ovir Athênia skrêven, thêrut mêi maen bisluta ho wêr thja Moder Hel-licht sproken heth, thâ hja sêide thaet Fryas sêda to Athênia nên stand holde ne kvste.

Van deze koning is hier een schrijver achter(ge)bleven van rein Fryas blood, (ge)boren in de nieuwe haven van Athenia en wat hier volgt heeft'r ons over Athenia geschreven, daaruit mag men besluiten hoe waar de Moeder Hel-licht gesproken heeft, daar zij zeide dat Fryas zeden tot Athenia niet stand houden aan de kusten.

There was left behind by this king a writer of pure Fryas blood, born in the new harbour of Athens, who wrote for us what follows about Athens, from which may be seen how truly the mother Hel-licht spoke when she said that the customs of Frya could never take firm hold in Athens.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/

It's not about a Mother Hel-licht who had spoken, it's about a Mother who had spoken hel-licht, or who had spoken clear and light/enlightened.

Clear/bright = (Dutch) helder

Enlightened = (Dutch) verlicht.

+++++++

EDIT:

Hellicht is a real word, btw:

hellicht: opbrengst van de jaarlijkse pacht >> Eng: proceeds of the annual rent

http://home.planet.nl/~dumon002/woordenboek/h.html

http://www.hellicht.be/documents/buurt_geschiedenis.html

But I don't think it has anything to do with the OLB "hel-licht".

However, it is still used in the meaning of 'bright light":

http://www.artrevisited.com/artworks/7880/rudolf_hagenaar/hel_licht

I haven't read the original text at this part and am not sure why the original transliteration you have provided has a capital H for Hel-licht but if this letter IS a capital it would be Mother Helicht as in a name but if the H is not a capital then it could be what you say. Since the original OLB text is all capitals I couldn't be sure why it has been interpreted as a capital H.

Edited by The Puzzler

I haven't read the original text at this part and am not sure why the original transliteration you have provided has a capital H for Hel-licht but if this letter IS a capital it would be Mother Helicht as in a name but if the H is not a capital then it could be what you say. Since the original OLB text is all capitals I couldn't be sure why it has been interpreted as a capital H.

I think it's simply a mistranslation by Ottema and then by everyone else.

It makes no sense to read it as Mother Hel-licht.

Edited by Abramelin

I also said I agreed above/over was a better choice, but would not yet rule out my own suggestion since the correct etymology is unknown.

Where did the name Europe come from?

Nick Metcalfe, New Mills, UK

Europa - a lover of Zeus from Greek mythology. To protect her from his jealous wife, Zeus appeared as a white bull who swam to safety across the ocean with Europa on his back.

R Watkin, Oxford

From the Phoenician word EROB, meaning where the sun set (west of Phoenicia).

Roy Nicol, Toronto Canada

From fecund EUROPA: a Phoenician princess carried off by Zeus in the form of a white bull and by him mother of Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Sarpedon.

Trevor, Newcastle UK

EUROPA - Overcome by the Phoenician woman's beauty, but sensing her shy nature, Zeus changed himself into a white bull. Europa was attracted to this majestic animal, and was soon riding on the bull. At that point, Zeus started running over the waves, leaving Europa's native Sidon and friends behind. The ride was smooth, as the sea nymphs created a waveless path for the travellers. The couple ended up on Crete, where Europa bore Zeus three sons: Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Sarpedon. Minos became king of Crete; Rhadamanthus a judge in the underworld.

Odysseus Mikalis, Rockville USA

(From "The New First Aid in English" ISBN 0 7169 4409 x): "Some say it was named Eref by the Phoenicians, meaning 'the land of the setting sun' ... Others say it was named after Europus, a town in Macedonia"

Mike Whittaker, Stapleton UK

Europa, Europe comes from the Phoenician word EROB, meaning where the sun set (west of Phoenicia,west of Bosphorus, Sea of Marmora). Erebo: I go under. Ereba: The land where I go under. Acu (pronounciatian asu) the land where I (the sun) are coming up: Ereb, ereba= europa Asu = Asie, Asia. Morningland-Eveningland, seen by the Phoeniciers That's why Bosphorus always has been the geographical border between Europe and Asia. Anatolie /= Asia-minor,which forms 97% of todays Turkey, comes from greeche language and means : east, east of what ? East of European Greece!

Hans Thijssens, Amsterdam Netherlands

perhaps from the Greek word Euros meaning 'broad'.

N S, London, England

It`s greek. Like everything else that is important!

Panos Protos, Malmö, Sweden

Europa is a rendering of the Colkhian word for affection, love(of the Motherland of the Colkh/Iberian population that cradled their civilization from Western Iberia(at the Atlantic Ocean) to the Zagros Range in the East(Zagr means the mountain range in Colkhiberian i.e. Kartuli.

Natela Popkhadze, Tbilisi Georgia/Sakartvelo

They ran out of all the cool Greek myth names.

Hannah, Huntington Beach England

From a pré-Greek goddess.After her, the region in Thracia, river, towns and about 20 mortal and immortal Europa's mentioned in the Greek Mythos, have been named.In the 5th c. BC it was suggested that the continent's name came from a seanimf, daughter of Oceanus, or from Zeus' partner Europe, who had been given later a Phoenician descent together with a new family. www.europesname.com

Peter Gommers, Antwerp Belgium

They changed their name to 'Europe' from 'Force' in 1982. Gotta love that Swedish big haired pomp rock!!

Max, Truro UK

There is a vedic word, Hariupia. Could that be a forerunner of the word,Europa? It is claimed that Harappa is a name derived from Hariupia which Sanskritic scholar Umesh Chandra Vidyaratna did not indicate.

Samir, kolkata india

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-10344,00.html

I think it's simply a mistranslation by Ottema and then by everyone else.

It makes no sense to read it as Mother Hel-licht.

'Why?

Mother bright-light (Hel-licht) had spoken - was that Nyhellenia that said that? - below?( I haven't opened the book link yet.)

"customs of Frya could never take firm hold in Athens."

They may mean Mother Hel-licht was Nyhellenia...?

broad eyes would be the Greek rendering of Europa. eurus-ops. The Earth apparently was referred to as broad in general.

EDIT: The name of Europa is of uncertain etymology.[23] One theory suggests that it is derived from the Greek εὐρύς (eurus), meaning "wide, broad"[24] and ὤψ/ὠπ-/ὀπτ- (ōps/ōp-/opt-), meaning "eye, face, countenance",[25] hence Eurṓpē, "wide-gazing", "broad of aspect" (compare with glaukōpis (γλαυκῶπις 'grey-eyed') Athena or boōpis (βοὠπις 'ox-eyed') Hera). Broad has been an epithet of Earth itself in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

Edited by The Puzzler

This pictures makes me think of 'broad' - the way her arms are and the broad of the bull's back looks extra broad.

220px-Europa_copy.jpg

The Earth Mother, broad, an Earth Mother culture connected with bulls may have entered Crete at this time.

Europe/Europa may have become a term for Europe because it was a broad land even.

'Why?

Mother bright-light (Hel-licht) had spoken - was that Nyhellenia that said that? - below?( I haven't opened the book link yet.)

"customs of Frya could never take firm hold in Athens."

They may mean Mother Hel-licht was Nyhellenia...?

This is the complete episode:

Sandbach's translation:

IN THE YEAR ONE THOUSAND AND FIVE AFTER ATLAND WAS SUBMERGED, THIS WAS INSCRIBED ON THE EASTERN WALL OF FRYASBURGT.

After twelve years had elapsed without our seeing any Italians in Almanland, there came three ships, finer than any that we possessed or had ever seen.

On the largest of them was a king of the Jonischen Islands whose name was Ulysses, the fame of whose wisdom was great. To him a priestess had prophesied that he should become the king of all Italy provided he could obtain a lamp that had been lighted at the lamp in Tex-land. For this purpose he had brought great treasures with him, above all, jewels for women more beautiful than had ever been seen before. They were from Troy, a town that the Greeks had taken. All these treasures he offered to the mother, but the mother would have nothing to do with them. At last, when he found that there was nothing to be got from her, he went to Walhallagara (Walcheren). There there was established a Burgtmaagd whose name was Kaat, but who was commonly called Kalip, because her lower lip stuck out like a mast-head. Here he tarried for years, to the scandal of all that knew it. According to the report of the maidens, he obtained a lamp from her; but it did him no good, because when he got to sea his ship was lost, and he was taken up naked and destitute by another ship. There was left behind by this king a writer of pure Frya’s blood, born in the new harbour of Athens, who wrote for us what follows about Athens, from which may be seen how truly the mother Hel-licht spoke when she said that the customs of Frya could never take firm hold in Athens.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#bd

This pictures makes me think of 'broad' - the way her arms are and the broad of the bull's back looks extra broad.

220px-Europa_copy.jpg

The Earth Mother, broad, an Earth Mother culture connected with bulls may have entered Crete at this time.

Europe/Europa may have become a term for Europe because it was a broad land even.

Well, we will never be sure where the name came from, but this explanation makes a lot of sense (see former post):

Europa, Europe comes from the Phoenician word EROB, meaning where the sun set (west of Phoenicia,west of Bosphorus, Sea of Marmora). Erebo: I go under. Ereba: The land where I go under. Acu (pronounciatian asu) the land where I (the sun) are coming up: Ereb, ereba= europa Asu = Asie, Asia. Morningland-Eveningland, seen by the Phoeniciers That's why Bosphorus always has been the geographical border between Europe and Asia. Anatolie /= Asia-minor,which forms 97% of todays Turkey, comes from greeche language and means : east, east of what ? East of European Greece!

Anatolia (from Greek Ἀνατολή Anatolē — "east" or "(sun)rise"; also Asia Minor, from Greek: Μικρὰ Ἀσία Mikrá Asía "small Asia"; in modern Turkish: Anadolu) is a geographic and historical term denoting the westernmost protrusion of Asia, comprising the majority of the Republic of Turkey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolia

Edited by Abramelin

This is the complete episode:

Sandbach's translation:

IN THE YEAR ONE THOUSAND AND FIVE AFTER ATLAND WAS SUBMERGED, THIS WAS INSCRIBED ON THE EASTERN WALL OF FRYASBURGT.

After twelve years had elapsed without our seeing any Italians in Almanland, there came three ships, finer than any that we possessed or had ever seen.

On the largest of them was a king of the Jonischen Islands whose name was Ulysses, the fame of whose wisdom was great. To him a priestess had prophesied that he should become the king of all Italy provided he could obtain a lamp that had been lighted at the lamp in Tex-land. For this purpose he had brought great treasures with him, above all, jewels for women more beautiful than had ever been seen before. They were from Troy, a town that the Greeks had taken. All these treasures he offered to the mother, but the mother would have nothing to do with them. At last, when he found that there was nothing to be got from her, he went to Walhallagara (Walcheren). There there was established a Burgtmaagd whose name was Kaat, but who was commonly called Kalip, because her lower lip stuck out like a mast-head. Here he tarried for years, to the scandal of all that knew it. According to the report of the maidens, he obtained a lamp from her; but it did him no good, because when he got to sea his ship was lost, and he was taken up naked and destitute by another ship. There was left behind by this king a writer of pure Fryas blood, born in the new harbour of Athens, who wrote for us what follows about Athens, from which may be seen how truly the mother Hel-licht spoke when she said that the customs of Frya could never take firm hold in Athens.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#bd

No, this part:

This is the history of Jon and of Min-erva.

When they had finished their story they asked respectfully for iron weapons; for, said they, our foes are powerful, but if we have good arms we can withstand them. When this had been agreed to, the people asked if Frya's customs would flourish in Athens and in other parts of Greece (Krekalanden). The mother answered, If the distant Greeks belong to the direct descent of Frya, then they will flourish; but if they do not descend from Frya, then there will be a long contention about it, because the carrier must make five thousand revolutions of his Juul before Finda's people will be ripe for liberty.

This is Nyhellenia/Minerva who said that - so Mother Hel-licht would be her as well, Nyhellenia by this time may have become Mother Hel-licht - clear/light (of wisdom).

Edited by The Puzzler

Well, we will never be sure where the name came from, but this explanation makes a lot of sense (see former post):

Anatolia (from Greek Ἀνατολή Anatolē — "east" or "(sun)rise"; also Asia Minor, from Greek: Μικρὰ Ἀσία Mikrá Asía "small Asia"; in modern Turkish: Anadolu) is a geographic and historical term denoting the westernmost protrusion of Asia, comprising the majority of the Republic of Turkey.

Now, this is a fascinating point.

I sincerely try to find an explanation in all this for the words that are used.

The older, the simpler no?

What parts stand for what? Ereba (land? sun? under?), Asu (land? sun? up?).

What if

- Asia comes from As-Sie, meaning looking at the water.

- Afrika comes from Affer-Yck, meaning Far (af, seperated) from d'Yck (Border, coast)

- Lybia comes from Li-by, meaning Being situated (liggen) close (nabij)

Very odd maybe, but goes for an explaination of the words used to de-scribe (om-schrijven).

Capture1.png

Just a rare coincidence I found the above.

T and D in beginning of f.e. Latin words could evenso be derived from short articles/place indications (de, het, te, ter, an ...) before the main word used in the Scytisch base language -> mostly referred as an uncertain origin of PIE.

No, this part:

This is the history of Jon and of Min-erva.

When they had finished their story they asked respectfully for iron weapons; for, said they, our foes are powerful, but if we have good arms we can withstand them. When this had been agreed to, the people asked if Frya's customs would flourish in Athens and in other parts of Greece (Krekalanden). The mother answered, If the distant Greeks belong to the direct descent of Frya, then they will flourish; but if they do not descend from Frya, then there will be a long contention about it, because the carrier must make five thousand revolutions of his Juul before Finda's people will be ripe for liberty.

This is Nyhellenia/Minerva who said that - so Mother Hel-licht would be her as well, Nyhellenia by this time may have become Mother Hel-licht - clear/light (of wisdom).

I noticed Overwijn even translated it as "Moeder Hellenia".

I stay with "hel-licht" as an adverb.

Now, this is a fascinating point.

I sincerely try to find an explanation in all this for the words that are used.

The older, the simpler no?

What parts stand for what? Ereba (land? sun? under?), Asu (land? sun? up?).

What if

- Asia comes from As-Sie, meaning looking at the water.

- Afrika comes from Affer-Yck, meaning Far (af, seperated) from d'Yck (Border, coast)

- Lybia comes from Li-by, meaning Being situated (liggen) close (nabij)

Very odd maybe, but goes for an explaination of the words used to de-scribe (om-schrijven).

Capture1.png

Just a rare coincidence I found the above.

T and D in beginning of f.e. Latin words could evenso be derived from short articles/place indications (de, het, te, ter, an ...) before the main word used in the Scytisch base language -> mostly referred as an uncertain origin of PIE.

Hmmm.. I assume you are also familiar with Evert Jan Poorterman and Willem Berend Hietbrink.

I think the Over de Linden family, the Fryans and the OLB have a contender to the throne:

The Lords of Navarre - José Lacambra-Loizu (from the book's Preface, page xxiii)

During a recent visit to my ancestral home in the Spanish Pyrenees, I happened across a sixteenth century manuscript claiming family roots that dated back to "time immemorial." This startling discovery encouraged me to anchor this chronicle in the prehistoric past, describing a journey spanning the last glacial age to the present. It narrates the meandering of a family of Vascon warlords, the Agorretas, as they grope their way out of the prehistoric mists and into the glare of history.

The account begins during the brief warming spell of the Pandorf Interstadial, some forty-thousand years ago. A band of nomadic hunters abandons its Caucasian caves to pursue the big game, which has retreated to the northern tundra following the receding ice cap. As the weather turns cold again, during the peak of the Würm glaciation some twenty thousand years later, the big game and its pursuers retreat south, keeping one step ahead of the advancing ice sheet. The hunters seek shelter in caves at the foot of both the Massif Central and the Pyrenees and leave their artistic imprint in cave paintings along the way.

As this band of Vascon hunters finally surfaces into history, we see them rub reluctant elbows with Celts, join the Roman legions in the Rhine, tangle with Charlemagne at Roncevaux, and fight North African Muslims in battles from Covadonga to al-Andalus, always fiercely defending their beloved Vascon valleys in the Pyrenean uplands. Later, and now at the cusp of the age of chivalry, an Agorreta participates in jousts, takes the Cross in the Lionheart's Crusade, and woos a Moorish princess whose brother he later helps defeat in the turning-point battle of Navas de Tolosa. Later still, now in the thick of the Middle Ages, another Agorreta crosses swords with the Black Prince at Crecy and later fights under the Englishman's banner at Nájera. Finally, during the twilight years of the Vascon kingdom of Navarre, several Agorretas attain Royal Judgeships, serve as Seneschals to kings and bear brave lances under Cesare Borgia. The chronicle ends on the eve of the annexation of a once fiercely independent Vasconia to the nascent kingdom of Spain.

Although generous literary license is taken when narrating prehistoric events, actual family names and events are cited whenever historical records exist. Thus, although the early Agorretas described in this chronicle are fictional, the later characters did, in fact, leave their imprint in Navarran history as borne out in Navarre's heraldic records.

http://www.buber.net/Basque/Features/GuestColumns/jml040624.php

http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Navarre-Basque-Family-Saga/dp/0595311482#_

The book is a sort of novel created around what is known of (or assumed about) prehistory. For me the only intriguing part is the sentence I underlined.

On Amazon.com you can read the Preface.

++++++

EDIT:

It's also on Booksgoogle:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=R0UZsM6--BgC&pg=PA395&lpg=PA395&dq=The+Lords+of+Navarre:+A+Basque+Family+Saga+Door+Jose+Maria+Lacambra-Loizu&source=bl&ots=E1UOufzfs6&sig=BD0m3b6OvIwQ28-qQgAxl7E8fus&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=JjohT4XOOsmfOo_a_KYI&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Again: it is fiction.

But if anyone knows what that "sixteenth century manuscript" is the writer claims to have seen, I'd like to know it too.

Edited by Abramelin

The OLB Manuscript ~ part 1 of 11

Translated from 19th century (1875) Dutch into 21st century (2012) Dutch and English

friescheoudhedenOLB1875_1-1.jpg

Nederlands

Het OERA LINDA Handschrift

Familie Over de Linden in Den Helder heeft een oud handschrift, waarvan schrift, taal en inhoud onbekend zijn.

Het was overgeleverd van geslacht tot geslacht met de aanbeveling het zorgvuldig te bewaren, als een familie-erfstuk.

De eigenaar vermoede dat het in Oud-Fries was geschreven en informatie over verre voorouders zou bevatten.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

English

The OERA LINDA Manuscript

The Over de Linden family in Den Helder has an old manuscript, of which script, language and content are unknown.

It was passed on from generation to generation, with the advice to keep it with care, as a family-treasure.

The owner thought it was written in Old-Frisian, and that it might contain information about ancient ancestors.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Edited by Otharus

The OLB Manuscript ~ part 2 of 11

friescheoudhedenOLB1875_2-1.jpg

Nederlands

Toen Doctor Eelco Verwijs, archivaris-bibliothecaris van Fryslân, hiervan hoorde, lichtte hij de overheid in.

Hij kreeg opdracht het te onderzoeken.

Op 17 december 1867 gaf hij een verslag van zijn eerste conclusies.

De eigenaar heeft hem toestemming gegeven het handschrift te transcriberen en vertalen.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

English

When Doctor Eelco Verwijs, archivist-biblothecarian of Fryslân, heard about this, he informed the government.

He was instructed to examine it.

On 17 December 1867 he reported his first conclusions.

The owner has given him permission to transcribe and translate the manuscript.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Edited by Otharus

St. Catherine with the (broken) Wheel in the Bonifatius-church Leeuwarden:

stkat.jpg

De kerk werd tussen 1882 en 1884 gebouwd / The church was built between 1882 and 1884.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint-Bonifatiuskerk_(Leeuwarden)

Maybe the painting was inspired by that patron goddess "Hammonia" of Hamburg?

Hamburg_Rathaus_Hammonia_wmt.jpg

Yes, a steering wheel... but Hamburg happens to be a port.

Briefly annexed by Napoleon I (1810-14), Hamburg suffered severely during his last campaign in Germany. The city was besieged for over a year by Allied forces (mostly Russian, Swedish and German). Russian forces under General Bennigsen finally freed the city in 1814. During the first half of the 19th century a patron goddess with Hamburg's Latin name Hammonia emerged, mostly in romantic and poetic references, and although she has no mythology to call her own, Hammonia became the symbol of the city's spirit during this time.

http://www.german-architecture.info/GERMANY/G-HH/HH.htm

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184645&st=9180&p=4161072entry4161072

And Leeuwarden was a port, ages ago (at the east coast of the Middelzee).

Edited by Abramelin

The OLB Manuscript ~ part 3 of 11

friescheoudhedenOLB1875_3-1.jpg

Nederlands

Het was te danken aan de volhardende bezieling en zorg van Doctor Jan Ottema, dat de inhoud begrepen en vertaald werd.

Hij deed uitvoerig verslag van zijn nauwkeurig onderzoek in een vergadering van het Fries Genootschap op 10 februari 1871.

Dit verslag werd gedrukt en verspreid, en leidde tot een grote belangstelling voor dit merkwaardige stuk.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

English

Thanks to the persevering zeal and care of Doctor Jan Ottema, the content was understood and translated.

In detail he reported the results of his accurate examination in a meeting of the Frisian Society on 10 February 1981.

This report was printed and distributed, and lead to a great common interest in this curious piece.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I find the broken six-spoked wheel rather interesting.

What's the story behind the painting?